PDA

View Full Version : Lasik Update

Cane
04-11-2005, 10:07 PM
Well, Had the Lasik done in January and after 30 days, I was very pleased... now it's even better. As of today, my total binocular vision is 20/15. To be honest, it took me a couple of months to get used to shooting at balls that had neither fuzzy edges or halos around them, and I had to adjust my aiming system ever so slightly, since I'd never seen balls so clearly, but it's all good now! I love my new eyes!!!

One suggestion, to anyone considering the procedure, spend the extra money and get the WaveFront or CustomVue procedure. I did and don't regret a penny of the money spent.

Later,
Bob

SpiderMan
04-12-2005, 08:35 AM
How does wavefront differ from the standard procedure?

SpiderMan

Cane
04-12-2005, 09:06 AM
Marty, Standard Lasik is great, but the difference between standard Lasik and Wavefront is like the difference between a standard TV and HDTV. That's the best way I can explain it. Here, Wavefront costs about $1000 more than standard and is well worth the difference.

Just my opinion, now... If I were just looking to improve my vision and eliminate the need for eyeglasses, I'd probably get the standard Lasik procedure, but I wanted my vision as perfect as I could get it to play pool, so for anyone who plays pool, shoots competitively, etc., I'd highly recommend the Wavefront.

Later,
Bob

SpiderMan
04-12-2005, 11:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Marty, Standard Lasik is great, but the difference between standard Lasik and Wavefront is like the difference between a standard TV and HDTV. That's the best way I can explain it. Here, Wavefront costs about $1000 more than standard and is well worth the difference.

Just my opinion, now... If I were just looking to improve my vision and eliminate the need for eyeglasses, I'd probably get the standard Lasik procedure, but I wanted my vision as perfect as I could get it to play pool, so for anyone who plays pool, shoots competitively, etc., I'd highly recommend the Wavefront.
Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>
Did they give you any details on what they do "differently" for a wavefront job, ie what makes it better? Are they just more careful and precise in execution, or is it a different procedure? If so, in what way?

SpiderMan

Cane
04-12-2005, 04:06 PM
This is my best understanding of Wavefront. There is an "add-on" card that they put in the machine to do the wavefront that is outrageously expensive... so much so that several Opthalmologists might share one and ship it back and forth when one or the other needs it. The wavefront is a much more accurate, much more finely tuned method that this card is needed to do. Think of it like the difference between sanding something with 2000 grit sandpaper and MicroMesh. The 2000 grit will give you an extremely smooth and shiny surface, but the MicroMesh is so smooth it's almost like a polish. That's what wavefront does. The laser is so much more controllable with the Wavefront Card that it will do a much better job of correction than standard Lasik.

Hope that made sense,
Bob

Misel
04-13-2005, 05:12 AM
Hi,
I was reding your post which is very interesting.I am from Europe and my girlfriend wear,s glasses and she wants to get rid of them.Does the vision needs to be stabilized to do a Lasik surgery and which clinics are the best?I amsure that there are good clinics in Europe also but i don,t know where.

Have a great day,
Misel

Cane
04-13-2005, 08:18 AM
Misel,

I wish I could help you with clinics in Europe, but I have absolutely no knowledge of any there. You can go online and find several very informative FAQ's about Lasik. There are two particular machines that the best clinics use that seem to be recommended for best results. I'm sorry, but I can't remember the names of the machines, however you can find them easily enough online.

Now, as for whether the vision should be stable, I just can't answer. I'd suggest making arrangements to see a reputable Opthalmologist that does the procedure... ask how many procedures the Dr. has done and verify his results.

Personally, I think Lasik is the way to go. I saw several Dr's before I settled on the one I wanted to do mine. He was very open and gave me a list of patients to contact to insure that I was comfortable with the results he had obtained.

One last thing, it did mess with my game for awhile after I had the procedure done. I really had NO idea what the balls looked like to people with good vision! However, now it just gets better every day.

Later,
Bob

Later,
Bob

bustah360
04-13-2005, 02:07 PM
you said something about the procedure for wavefront to be around 1000 more. I just wanted to know what kind of a ball park figure am I looking at for getting that procedure done...I'm just near sited, pretty much see well indoors and dont need them when I'm home. Across the street is where things start really getting fuzzy...did you have the same type of vision? I just wanna know what I'm looking at as far as spending on this type of procedure. I didn't see anyone mentioning CustomVue though, anything wrong with that? Whats the difference with that and regular lasik or wavefront?

Cane
04-13-2005, 03:05 PM
My understanding is that Custom Vue and Wavefront are the same thing, just different trade names for the card. I'm no expert in the procedure, so don't take my word for it.

Now, cost... well that varies from area to area, but here, it cost me about $3500 for the complete procedure and that included cost of medication, eyedrops, and follow up appointments at 1 month, 3 months, 5 months and 1 year. Also, and this isn't the case with every Dr., my procedure also included a free "adjustment" if needed to either or both eyes after complete healing. In other words, if they didn't get an acceptable result, then they would do it again at no cost. I don't think they were worried. I could not find even ONE of their customers that had any problem after the procedure.

My vision problem was that I had trouble seeing with clarity at 3 feet on out without glasses. I had an astigmatism in both eyes. Lasik corrected that, I have no astigmatism in either eye and perfect vision from 2 to about ANY reasonable distance. I do use reading glasses, but hey, I'm 48 years old! Got to expect that, anyways, but I don't use the all the time. Only if the print is very small, like some magazines, or the light is very low. Normal reading, like a size 10 font in a book, I have no trouble with at all.

Later,
Bob