PDA

View Full Version : Virtual Pool 2 players around?

GreenLion
04-11-2005, 10:27 PM
Once in a while i play Virtual Pool 2 for the computer and i was wondering if theres anyone who plays pool on that.

lord_shar
04-11-2005, 10:40 PM
I play VRPool2 on my Sony Ericsson P910a phone. It's a bit tricky to aim shots using the stylus.

recoveryjones
04-11-2005, 11:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GreenLion:</font><hr> Once in a while i play Virtual Pool 2 for the computer and i was wondering if theres anyone who plays pool on that. <hr /></blockquote>

Haven't tried it yet. I noticed that Virtual pool 3 is available for $9.99 at this link:
http://www.take2store.com/

(when you get tothe above link do a search for Virtual pool 3)

Isthe virtual pool any better? Are these games any good and how close to reality to they get? RJ

One
04-12-2005, 04:45 AM
I highly recommend that you get Virtual Pool 3: http://store.yahoo.com/take2store/virtualpool3pc.html

I used to play real pool 7 hours a day 4-5 days a week for many years. I thought I was improving but it was the pool simulator that made me improve all along! After I quit real pool I still improved my real life game and that's when I realized how much time and money I had wasted playing real pool.
"Real pool, just say NO!"

Right now I get WORSE when playing real pool because the table is not perfectly level!!! In Virtual Pool 3 you don't have that problem!

With Virtual Pool 3 you can play online at Gamespy, there are tournaments every day. I am there recording some of the tournament (http://poollogics.port5.com/videos/gamespy/tournaments.htm) finals and semi-finals, the newest videos have 2 angles of the table. I also have done audio commentary for Virtual Mosconi Cup 2004 Final part3 (http://poollogics.port5.com/videos/gamespy/tournaments/VMC2004.htm). In the future this will become BIG. I can see the future now. Eventually 99.99% of all pool players will play on a simulator instead of real pool. There will be a small group who doesn't want to transfer to the computer (old people) and then there will be another group who want to challenge themselves by predicting the imperfections of the real pool table. And lastly there will be a couple "obcessed genius" guys who want the best simulator possible, and eventually go back to real pool instead.

Are you ready to step into the future? Then get Virtual Pool 3 now and start practicing, I will be here waiting. (Did I sound like a commercial? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif)

One
04-12-2005, 05:09 AM
There is also smoke in the pool room, when I was playing 7 hours a day I didn't notice it because I was used to it! Now when I play once per month I get a sore throat afterwards!! This means my lungs have recovered. It gets hard to breathe in the pool room and I almost faint now. I can concentrate first 10 minutes but then I become "stupid" and can't calculate simple things, this affects my pool game BIG TIME. It gets better at the end of my practice sessions because the pool room gets more empty before closing time. I could breathe better and concentrate harder, this made me play pool better.

When I was playing 7+ hours a day I ALWAYS played my best after 7 hours! I could not know why I needed so long warm-up! Now I know it was the smoke that made me play bad before it!!!

"People who smoke are more evil than mass murderers because they destroy for others without having a goal in it...while mass murderers kill for a reason." - One

"The only difference between smokers and mass murderers is that the smokers don't know they are killing other people" - One

The brain needs fresh air to perform its best. I can see the future again, people with sound isolated breathing masks with consistent amount of oxygen (like a space suit helmet), there are tubes on their backs, and there are booths on the streets where you can fill up with new oxygen. They also have special suits that give consistent temperature and humidity levels. There are also some with robotic legs that makes them run faster. Pool players will use robot arms and can break 110 mph.

PQQLK9
04-12-2005, 05:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GreenLion:</font><hr> Once in a while i play Virtual Pool 2 for the computer and i was wondering if theres anyone who plays pool on that. <hr /></blockquote>

I do and have evolved from the original VP,VP2, and now VP3.

On VP2 the instuction by Mike Sigel is the same as on his Perfect Pool Video tape.
(excellent IMO)

Overall I think VP is an excellent learning tool (except for stroke stance and grip) and as my learned friend "One" said, It ain't smokey unless you smoke at your computer. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One
04-21-2005, 08:23 AM
Once you are used to controlling the mouse, Virtual Pool is a good tool for speed control, even better than real life because real pool tables are not perfectly level.

After you practice a few years in Virtual Pool you will eventually have better speed control than real pool tables can produce. And after you play real pool you will have worse speed control because the inconsistent table messes with your skill. That's right, real pool makes you worse. My 3 year old theory (http://vp3.0catch.com/vp3/articles/vp3steroids.htm) has been proven.

Qtec
04-21-2005, 09:13 AM
From your theory!!!!!!?

[ QUOTE ]
Why practise real pool if you don't have a good stroke? <font color="blue"> Maybe to develop a better stroke and maybe eventually be able to hit what you aim at. </font color> You will start to aim wrong and develop bad habits, <font color="blue"> No, I dont see why. Maybe YOU developed bad habits because you couldnt/ wouldnt put in the practice time thats required to achieve the level of skill thats required to play good pool. To hit your target you have to be in control of your CUE- not your MOUSE!</font color> in Virtual pool 3 you have perfect aim. Better to practise the perfect aim than the bad aim <hr /></blockquote>

Q

Thunderduck
04-21-2005, 12:29 PM
How can playing this video game improve your real life game? Apparently it does, but I'm not sure how that is possible. Please explain,...

ryushen21
04-21-2005, 03:10 PM
I am also in the VP3 camp. I play it quite a bit. My only problem with it is that the physics of it are a bit too good. but it really can help to an extent. i still prefer my real practice time to the sim. then again i play for free on level tables with practically new cloth. hehehe.

wolfdancer
04-21-2005, 03:51 PM
Patrick, how can you expect to get sensory feeback....feel from clicking a mouse,that could then be transferred to stroking a cue? there's different muscles involved, you can't feel the hit, nor associate the sound of a well-hit cue...by playing VP.
you might build up some muscle memory in your finger though....it's a start....

One
04-23-2005, 02:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Patrick, how can you expect to get sensory feeback....feel from clicking a mouse,that could then be transferred to stroking a cue? there's different muscles involved, you can't feel the hit, nor associate the sound of a well-hit cue...by playing VP.
you might build up some muscle memory in your finger though....it's a start....

<hr /></blockquote>
The sensory feedback is what messes up your learning, you need to isolate all parts of speed control. Sensory feedback is just a bonus that increases your speed control, you don't need it for learning speed control! For me, speed control is purely mental!! I visualize the rotation of the cueball and how it skids, there is no sensory feedback involved for me. Playing real pool by focusing only on sensory feedback makes you "blind" and you are not using your visual feedback much. So sensory feedback is a distraction for the true learning of speed control.

You don't click the mouse, you stroke it backwards and forwards, this is an excellent practice of speed control. You need a good mousepad for it though, Corepad is the best. Check out my recommended hardware (http://vp3.0catch.com/vp3/recommended.htm) for more.
You get some sensory feedback when moving the mouse, but you don't get any feedback from hitting the cueball, which is not needed anyway because there is nothing you can do to the cueball after you have hit it, the only thing the feedback does is learning the impact of the hit.

It is true that different muscles are involved and you need to practice the arm to repeat the correct speed. But it is not worth practicing if your mental speed control is not good enough! Even if I play real pool only every 1-2 months my arm has good enough speed control to match my mental speed control. When I come to the pool room my speed control is better than last time, but then my mental speed control gets worse because the table isn't perfectly level.

One
04-23-2005, 03:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Qtec:</font><hr> From your theory!!!!!!?

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Why practise real pool if you don't have a good stroke? <font color="blue"> Maybe to develop a better stroke and maybe eventually be able to hit what you aim at. </font color> You will start to aim wrong and develop bad habits, <font color="blue"> No, I dont see why. Maybe YOU developed bad habits because you couldnt/ wouldnt put in the practice time thats required to achieve the level of skill thats required to play good pool. To hit your target you have to be in control of your CUE- not your MOUSE!</font color> in Virtual pool 3 you have perfect aim. Better to practise the perfect aim than the bad aim <hr /></blockquote>

Q <hr /></blockquote>
I wrote it 3 years ago when I had less experience and knowledge, but it is still correct. NOBODY has a perfect stroke, so you will never learn it perfectly accurate, you will always develop wrong aim. In Virtual Pool 3 you will not learn wrong because of a non-perfect stroke, but you will learn wrong from non-perfect physics. That's why I practice speed control in Virtual Pool 3.

And don't say Efren Reyes has a perfect stroke... His mental skill just is worse than his stroke.

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 12:31 PM
I will consider purchesing Virtual Pool 3.Yes virtual pool 1 and 2 tuaght me alot about Pool physics and yes it does help conciderably with speed control but as far as your stroke is concerned well let me put it this way:I got to playing pretty decent pool on the comp but then went to a real table to shoot for the 1st time in 5 yrs(thats been about 10 yrs ago)and could not even make a simple short shot!I was horrible at a real table but i did know alot about the physics though.

ras314
04-23-2005, 05:30 PM
Does VP3 include such effects as squirt? Massey shots? Model different characteristics of cues such as tips, stiff or flexible shafts? Air born cb as in breaks and 90 deg cuts?

For 10 bucks I may try it, but I suspect I can control a cue better than a mouse. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

It would also be useful to model unlevel tables, as pointed out eleswhere there is no such thing as a perfect table.

PQQLK9
04-23-2005, 05:36 PM
You can download a Virtual Pool 3 Demo here (http://www.pcgameworld.com/details.php/id/2171/).

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 06:30 PM
Thanx PQQLK9!

ras314
04-23-2005, 09:25 PM
19.1 mb with dial up, ouch. May have to spring for DSL whenever I update the computer. If I can get it.

Thanks anyway POOLK9.

One
04-24-2005, 02:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GreenLion:</font><hr> I will consider purchesing Virtual Pool 3.Yes virtual pool 1 and 2 tuaght me alot about Pool physics and yes it does help conciderably with speed control but as far as your stroke is concerned well let me put it this way:I got to playing pretty decent pool on the comp but then went to a real table to shoot for the 1st time in 5 yrs(thats been about 10 yrs ago)and could not even make a simple short shot!I was horrible at a real table but i did know alot about the physics though. <hr /></blockquote>

Playing real pool once every 5 years is a bit too little. I recommend once every 1-2 months, if you go more than 3 months you will start playing bad. But once I didn't play for 3 months and played my best ever in the first 10 minutes.

One
04-24-2005, 02:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> Does VP3 include such effects as squirt? Massey shots? Air born cb as in breaks and 90 deg cuts?
<hr /></blockquote>
If Virtual Pool 3 didn't have these things I would NEVER play it, it would completely mess up my real life game if the physics were this bad!

Virtual Pool 2 had messed up rails, the cueball didn't curve after hitting the rail. With Virtual Pool 3 that problem is fixed and the rails are more realistic. But there is still a problem with non-compressing rails which makes multiple rail banks different than in real life, that's why I don't practice much banks, I do 90 degree cut shots instead with max sidespin, this has improved my cut shots in real life. 1 rail banks are OK to practice though, it is close to real life.

The physics are not perfect but they are good enough because I have improved my real life game from it.

Virtual Pool 3 doesn't have different flexibility of shafts or tips. The shaft in it is about the same as a Predator 314 shaft.

Sid_Vicious
04-24-2005, 05:01 AM
ras...I haven't used VP for years but what I found most usefull was the basics of "What if I hit it with this different english and speed" situations, cuz you can immediately replay the exact same line and position with a memory-redo. Sure VP is not going to put you on a table afterwards and KNOW the feel of the mechanics, but it certainly allows you to see all variables of subtle changes in cue tip position for resultant CB action and position. Many of the 40 year players of the game are very anti-VPool, "YA CAN'T LEARN THIS GAME ON A COMPUTER!" attitude. Well that's true, but you can sure accellerate your learning curve(IMO) sid

One
04-24-2005, 01:08 PM
It is expected that old people who have played for a long time can't accept that they have wasted so many years playing real life pool while there was a much faster way of learning the game. They don't even try to play on a computer because they are so scared to realize that it is better to practice on the computer than in real life.

Virtual Pool 3 is amazing for learning experience, you can make 20 identical shots per minute (if you press 'Z' button that ends the shot early), that is IMPOSSIBLE in real life without a time machine. Experience is what is needed for learning and getting used to deflection. You will improve your experience more than 10 times faster using Virtual Pool 3 than real life, because you can redo every shot and replay it at different speeds, try do that with a video camera in the pool room, it just doesn't work, you will "lose it" from your short-term memory, humans can keep something in their short-term memory about 5 seconds, then it is gone. You just can't record the shot with a video camera and replay it in 5 seconds. With Virtual Pool 3 you can just press a button even before the shot is finished. And you can press undo without finishing the shot. You can make the exact same shot over and over again, thousands of times until you get the correct speed that you want to get. It is silly that people still practice real life pool when you have this excellent practice tool, it seems like people are too stupid to know how to learn pool, seems that they are more interested in hanging out with friends in the pool room and trying to win all the time.

Not doing replay or undo is like being BLIND, how can you learn anything if you are not seeing. This is why there are the same players in the same pool room playing for years without improving at all. You need to learn from your mistakes, you won't learn anything if you ignore your mistakes!!! I LOVE MISTAKES, it makes me improve!

ras314
04-24-2005, 05:54 PM
Reckon I ought to get it. Be good for days like this when I'm too stove up to play if nothing else.

Still rather be at the tournament I had to cancel.