PDA

View Full Version : ? for Fred Agnir

LARRY_BOY
04-12-2005, 07:00 AM
Hey Fred (Mr. Voice of Reason) I have a question for you. I have been playing for a little over a year and reached a place where I am not getting any better so I found a BCA instructor in my area (the only one). Well after only 4 lessons he tells me all I need now is practice. I found that funny because I thought we had just began. From the first lesson I wanted to work on position play but we hardly touched that. My question is what do I do now as there aren't any other instructors in my area.......

Fred Agnir
04-12-2005, 10:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> Hey Fred (Mr. Voice of Reason) I have a question for you. I have been playing for a little over a year and reached a place where I am not getting any better so I found a BCA instructor in my area (the only one). Well after only 4 lessons he tells me all I need now is practice. I found that funny because I thought we had just began. From the first lesson I wanted to work on position play but we hardly touched that. My question is what do I do now as there aren't any other instructors in my area....... <hr /></blockquote>With these type of BCA lessons, the normal routine if you so would choose would be to take what you've learned and incorporate it into your practice routine. Be prepared for your game to falter a bit as your body becomes accustomed to the BCA mechanics.

BCA instruction is different than coaching.

Fred

LARRY_BOY
04-12-2005, 11:13 AM
tanks........

randyg
04-12-2005, 01:36 PM
LARRY_BOY: Who did you work with??

Where do you live??,,,,SPF-randyg

Scott Lee
04-12-2005, 03:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr>I found a BCA instructor in my area (the only one). Well after only 4 lessons he tells me all I need now is practice. I found that funny because I thought we had just began. From the first lesson I wanted to work on position play but we hardly touched that. <hr /></blockquote>

LARRY_BOY...You can be sure you got your money's worth with those lessons. A competent instructor will FIRST concenctrate on the quality and repeatability of the student's stroke, before even TALKING about position. If your stroke is not up to par, it makes little sense to ignore it and go on to more advanced things like position play. Without a smooth, repeatable. and sustainable stroke,
you won't be able to stroke the CB the same, and as such will be inconsistent with your results. Obviously your instructor felt that your stroke needed work, and that's where he took you. Once you have mastered kinesthetics and timing that make up a great stroke, there are plenty of us BCA instructors who can work with you on position play. But if one of us comes to you for that purpose, be aware that we'll test you on your stroke, and if it's not up to par, you'll be back studying the same thing over again...until it is ingrained into your mind and muscle memory. The 3-day pool schools that we run all over the country are all about redefining your stroke, and making the changes permanent, so that you can continue to improve in other parts of your game. KISS rules!

Scott Lee

JimS
04-13-2005, 04:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> KISS rules!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Keeping it simple.......

If you miss the shot then playing perfect position does no good. It's my shot.

If you see the perfect aiming point, ghost and angle to make the shot but can't put the cue ball in that precise spot EVERY TIME then all the perfectly accurate aiming in the world won't help. It's my shot.

Hitting many thousands of table length straight in shots builds a repeatable stroke... IF IF IF IF... you are DEEPLY CONCENTRATING on the basics you learned in your lessons. "no non-chalantin around the pool table"

I took my first lesson about 6 years ago and have driven 4 plus hours on many occasions to take lessons. During those 6 years I took a few months off every year so for a total of about 4.5 years I've been shooting straight in shots, concentrating on basics, everyday for at least an hour a day pocketing (not shooting ... but pocketing) 100 to 300 balls a day, averaging about 3,960 a month, about 47,.520 a year and totalling about 213,840 balls pocketed. (I may have lost track on some occasions so "about" is how I'll say it)

Two weeks ago I drove 4 hours one way for another lesson, with a really picky old pro who was seeing me for the first time. After watching me hit warm up shots for a while we started, for the FIRST time, working on how to play pool. No fundamentals.... actually playing the game. Having him tell me that my fundamentals were just fine was the greatest compliment I've ever been paid at any time in my life. It probably took 400,000 or more shots to get there (I missed a lot) but that ole pro saw me as a player instead of a beginner. WOW!

Now I can begin to play some pool.... learn some shots.... play the game.

Even though I practice specific shots more now than in the past I still hit at least 100 straight in table length shots daily concentrating on all the basics. It's part of who I am! I feel bad about myself if I don't do it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

(Credit all this to "Coach" who spent time with me and "made" me do all those straight in shots. We don't seem to be able to get along for sh1t when we get together but I sure thank him and respect him as a giving man.Thanks Coach.)

randyg
04-13-2005, 04:59 AM
JimS: Great story....SPF-randyg

LARRY_BOY
04-13-2005, 05:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> LARRY_BOY: Who did you work with??

Where do you live??,,,,SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

South Bend, Indiana........

Qtec
04-13-2005, 09:06 AM
I,ll make it easy for you. Practice is something you do when you are not having a lesson!

.......Q........

wolfdancer
04-13-2005, 10:12 AM
Randy,"great story"??????????
I'm thinking O.C.D. and you're offering encouragement.lol
I've got a friend that hits exactly 300 balls a day...for
practice...then plays
If he doesn't hit his 300, he's a wreck, and he recently was laid up after wrecking his bike (Harley),and couldn't play. I had to prescribe Prozac for him....and I ain't a Doctor.

I'd rather be a dog, then the garbageman, anyways....
http://capa.conncoll.edu/sward.kiss.htm#uncle

Actually, I would like to improve, just don't have that kind of dedication, concentration, etc....there must be a shortcut, maybe a "pill"????
250,000 balls????....I can't count that high

Scott Lee
04-13-2005, 11:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> ....there must be a shortcut, maybe a "pill"????
<hr /></blockquote>

Jack...There IS, and I have IT! In fact, the FIRST one's FREE! LOL However, you have to take it 6x a day, and you can NEVER quit (or your stroke will deteriorate to the point where you can't make "three friggen' balls"!) LOL
That's not the worst part. The pill is VERY expensive to produce (naturally, because I have to produce it here instead in Canada! LOL), and I have to sell it for $6 a pill! Also, unfortunately in YOUR case (lol), I cannot accept Medicare either! But.........if ya ever really really need it...'the pill' is there! LMAO

Scott

wolfdancer
04-13-2005, 11:34 AM
LMAO !!!!!
Hi Scott....I've got the table, got the time...but any practice is haphazard, at best
I just enjoy hitting some balls.
I did take your advice, and hit 'em a little easier...also shortened up my stroke (works for me)and cashing in, occasionally, in the local tournaments, jjd