PDA

View Full Version : Hey, practice works

Nostalgia
04-12-2005, 07:31 AM
Just wanted to share a recent observation.

As some of you may recall, I had been having a lot of trouble with my game. My shots were all over the map.

I took a lesson with an APA certified instructor, and he corrected some serious problems with my stroke (elbow sticking out, not staying down on the shot) and opened up my stance a bit.

I've spent the last couple of months practicing fundamentals. On every shot I concentrate on that smooth, straight stroke. I'm doing drills for my problem shots.

The problem was I didn't see any improvement; I'm still getting bumped out of the second round at my local 9-ball tourney. It was frustrating.

I played with an old pool buddy of mine the other night who hasn't seen me play since before my lesson. He remarked more than once that he was amazed at how much better my shotmaking was.

Since then, I'm seeing the types of shots I'm consistently making, and yes, it's 180 degrees from my old game. I'm choosing - and making - shots I was actually afraid to shoot before. It's funny how you can not notice something like that when it happens gradually, then BOOM!, you notice it all at once.

So for those of us who are frustrated with our practice and progress, just a word of encouragement: it'll pay off. Once you realize it has, your confidence will go up, which makes your game better. It's a vicious cycle, in a good way /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Joe

Scott Lee
04-12-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> I took a lesson with an APA certified instructor, and he corrected some serious problems with my stroke (elbow sticking out, not staying down on the shot) and opened up my stance a bit.

So for those of us who are frustrated with our practice and progress, just a word of encouragement: it'll pay off. Once you realize it has, your confidence will go up, which makes your game better. It's a vicious cycle, in a good way /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Joe <hr /></blockquote>

Joe...Don't you mean a BCA instructor? There is no such thing as an "APA Certified Instructor". Glad the lesson helped. It is common for your game to go down, while you are replacing behavior and mechanical fundamentals. Good luck with your game!

Scott Lee

Nostalgia
04-12-2005, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>Joe...Don't you mean a BCA instructor?<hr /></blockquote>
You're right! I thought I had found Bill through the APA (since I was playing in the APA at the time), but it was through BCA's website. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

-Joe

Scott Lee
04-12-2005, 03:50 PM
Joe...I thought so! LOL Believe it or not, 13 yrs ago, I went to Terry Bell &amp; Larry Hubbart (APA founders) with a proposal to create and train a group of what would be "APA Certified" instructors. I was already extremely active with the BCA, and saw this as a natural progression for the APA. I was even willing to head up the program (for NO $$$), and oversee the entire project. BTW, this would have been in addition to my own lesson schedule as a BCA instructor, as well as my constant duties as an APA league operator! LOL How do you suppose they received this proposal? They were not at ALL interested! At that time, the APA top dogs HATED the BCA, and even though this was an idea not connected with the BCA, Terry &amp; Larry just shot it down without a second thought. Talk about cut off your nose to spite your face! LOL With 250,000 members, you'd think they'd WANT their own instructor corps. Guess not, huh?

Scott Lee

Nostalgia
04-12-2005, 07:43 PM
Nope, that would make too much sense /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Played in my tourney again tonight. Once again, my long table shotmaking was spot-on. However my position play sucked ass, in plain English. 1 shot and kick. 1 shot and kick. Boy that's frustrating. I took solace in the fact that at least my shots and my safety play were good. 0-4, 3-0, 3-2, 0-3.

-Joe