PDA

View Full Version : APA players how have you progressed..

dvsmnstr
04-14-2005, 06:38 AM
Hello everyone I am pretty happy with myself on how all my practice has payed off over the year.. I went from a rating of a 2-3 to a solid 6. I did not start this thread to brag so please don't flame. I was wondering how others have gone up.. do you see yourself getting better? I see that now i'm beating guys who used to always beat me.. Do anyone of you feel your just not getting better? I'm just curious on how everyone is is progressing thats all..

dooziexx
04-14-2005, 07:10 AM
Started APA in the Fall Session of 2004 as a SL4, ended the season at SL6 going 13 Wins with 3 losses and taking the league MVP. Not bad for a first timer huh.. Anyways this session, Ive been sucking it... Im a SL7 now and Ive lost 5 weeks straight, to guys that Ive crushed in the past session. So to answer your question, Yes, I dont feel like Im getting better..... Ive been playing really poorly lately and the pool gods have not been kind to me this session.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

MrLucky
04-14-2005, 07:21 AM
<font color="green"> I have played APA since close to its conception 23 years or so now and was a 5 for a long time periodically going up to a 7 and back to a 5 for the last 4 years I have been a six in 8 ball and win 75% or better of my matches over the year I also coached for the last 7-8 years and now am the team captain and coach I love APA at least here in Atlanta since we have many excellent players and I get to see many different styles and philosophies of play ! I can honestly say my game has improved eons from the league experience and is continuing to improve ! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan
04-14-2005, 07:33 AM
I played APA 8-ball for about 1-1/2 years, always as a SL7. My primary reason for participating was to have a night out with pool-playing friends who did not possess the skills to join my BCA team.

As a social event, the APA league met my goals. And for inexperienced players, I could see the competition helping them to improve, particularly when competing with higher-skilled players and being exposed to defensive maneuvers.

I did not remain in APA because I just couldn't stand the format of play, ie show up at 7:30 and breathe smoke until midnight, all to play one match against one opponent.

My BCA league played it's matches on three tables simultaneously, you showed up at 8 and were done playing five different opponents by 10, with very little waiting-around time.

SpiderMan

Barbara
04-14-2005, 07:50 AM
APA 9-ball... aka "rotational straight pool"... LOL!

Okay, so I started playing on an APA team in January. I started out as a 2 and won my first match. So the next week I'm a 3. I killed a 4 19-1 that week and found myself bumped to a 5 the following week. I lost my match to another 5 that not only kicked and hit at every safety I could think of throwing at him, but he also kicked a ball in on the shot to boot. So the next week I was pushed down to a 4 and won that week's match. So I'm bumped to a 5 again and won a strong match against an 8. We battled each other for 1 1/2 hours with safeties. I had to because I knew he was a run-out player. So last week I was bumped up to a 6 and lost 14-6 to a 7, but in all honesty, I played terribly and missed shots I normally wouldn't miss. God knows what level I'll be at tonight.

Do I see myself geting better? I see myself realizing defensive situations better. I'm actually having a good time despite the smoky atmospheres of the VFWs I play in. My teammates - 3 girls and one big Rastafarian guy - appreciate my coaching when they're hooked on a shot. But I think I have to get out of the "play and duck" mentality and try to run out more. This could actually get me back to practicing on my table at home.

Barbara

Barbara
04-14-2005, 08:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I did not remain in APA because I just couldn't stand the format of play, ie show up at 7:30 and breathe smoke until midnight, all to play one match against one opponent.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about the APA format.

Barbara

PQQLK9
04-14-2005, 08:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I did not remain in APA because I just couldn't stand the format of play, ie show up at 7:30 and breathe smoke until midnight, all to play one match against one opponent.
<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah, that's the one thing I don't like about the APA format.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

Unless the Captain decides not to play you, then you breath smoke untill midnight and go home without playing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Fred Agnir
04-14-2005, 08:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> Hello everyone I am pretty happy with myself on how all my practice has payed off over the year.. I went from a rating of a 2-3 to a solid 6. I did not start this thread to brag so please don't flame. I was wondering how others have gone up.. do you see yourself getting better? I see that now i'm beating guys who used to always beat me.. Do anyone of you feel your just not getting better? I'm just curious on how everyone is is progressing thats all.. <hr /></blockquote>With the APA, I think they need to have an organized masters division. For some APA 7's, there's no competitive arena that they can play simply because the league doesn't excite them, and they're not good enough to compete in a higher level tournament.

Fred

Deeman2
04-14-2005, 08:33 AM
Was an APA 7. Enjoyed the coaching formay but hated the single match play. BCA format (5 games, differnt opponents)is more tolerable but I miss being able to coach the lower level players. Bar pool does tend to bore me but my wife likes it so....I keep playing.

Deeman
Bar pool had taught me how to "really" cheat pockets.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Barbara
04-14-2005, 08:41 AM
Nick,

We only have 5 players, so I do play every time I come out.

Last week I got home at 12:15 am. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara

Rod
04-14-2005, 08:47 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I did not remain in APA because I just couldn't stand the format of play, ie show up at 7:30 and breathe smoke until midnight, all to play one match against one opponent <hr /></blockquote>

I'd rather go to the dentist. LOL Seriously I would.

Rod

Rich R.
04-14-2005, 08:51 AM
After many, many years of not playing pool, I joined an APA league playing 8-ball. I started out at the mandatory level 4 and, much to my surprise, I never went down. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
Over the course of time, I have slowly worked my way up to the level 6, and I feel I may be on the verge of a level 7, but I just haven't been able to get over the hump.
I still feel like I am improving, but the improvements are small and they come slowly.
One of the things I really have to work on more is table management. I feel I should be running out more, but I always seem to leave my self a really tough shot, somewhere a long the line.
Regardless of my level, I am playing pool and having fun. That is exactly what my goal was, when I started. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

P.S.
I forgot to mention that all of my APA league play has been on 9' tables.

Several years ago, I also played one session of APA 9 ball, but the the room I played in, at that time, dropped the leagues, after that session. I have not found another location playing 9 ball on 9' tables. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BTW, in APA 9 ball, I am still officially a level 4. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

BigRigTom
04-14-2005, 09:09 AM
I started with the APA in 2000 as a 4 in 9 ball, imediately dropped to a 3 and slowly have worked my way up to a low 7 where I am now. In 2001 I started playing APA 8 Ball as a 4 and am now a pretty solid 6.
I have always liked bar pool and thats where my wife and I met members of the APA. I used to smoke (quit in 1984) and my wife still smokes so that was not a problem for us. Most California bars are now smoke free so it is still not a big issue.
My wife is now Captain and I am Co-Captain of both our own 9 ball team and 8 ball team and we play twice per week.
I like coaching our younger players and watching them progress and I like playing organized matches against some really good pool players. Our league has some awsome skill level 9 in 9 ball and lots of skill level 7 in 8 ball.
I don't like some of the APA rules as indicated by some of my other posts but there are many positive things about the APA that far out weight the few negatives.
Unless you are really a "HARD CORE"...... pool is a social game and the APA allows me to play highly competitive pool and still enjoy being around good people who like pool as well as other aspects of life.
Our region just recently started a Masters Division and it is good for those "HARD CORES" but they are strickly about playing and winning and it is just a little TOO serious to me at this time. It will be good for those who like to walk in play a match and leave right away. I like the comraderie of the team, I like to cheer my team mates on and I like it when they are there to encourage me to play better. We all love winning and we all sympathize with each other over the loses.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bustah360
04-14-2005, 09:55 AM
I just didn't like the whole bar pool thing. It really had a negative impact on my tournament sized table play. Getting used to 7' tables made me feel reeeally small on the 9' gold crowns. Bar tables tend to be poorly kept as far as maintenance is concerned also. I wanted to play better, but playing on those tables doesn't help much.

MrLucky
04-14-2005, 10:53 AM
<font color="red">Your issue is indicative of the particular league / bar you play out of, here in Atlanta I play on 8' and 9' with simonis 760 cloth at Mr Cues we have 20 + teams per night here for APA the other bar teams play on a range of tables ! with the division and city playoffs played here on our tourny tables! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
04-14-2005, 11:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> APA 9-ball... aka "rotational straight pool"... LOL!

Okay, so I started playing on an APA team in January. I started out as a 2 and won my first match. So the next week I'm a 3. I killed a 4 19-1 that week and found myself bumped to a 5 the following week. I lost my match to another 5 that not only kicked and hit at every safety I could think of throwing at him, but he also kicked a ball in on the shot to boot. So the next week I was pushed down to a 4 and won that week's match. So I'm bumped to a 5 again and won a strong match against an 8. We battled each other for 1 1/2 hours with safeties. I had to because I knew he was a run-out player. So last week I was bumped up to a 6 and lost 14-6 to a 7, but in all honesty, I played terribly and missed shots I normally wouldn't miss. God knows what level I'll be at tonight.

Do I see myself geting better? I see myself realizing defensive situations better. I'm actually having a good time despite the smoky atmospheres of the VFWs I play in. My teammates - 3 girls and one big Rastafarian guy - appreciate my coaching when they're hooked on a shot. But I think I have to get out of the "play and duck" mentality and try to run out more. This could actually get me back to practicing on my table at home.

Hi Barbara, are you rack'in the 6 ball up top? lol I thrive in the Leagues but as Stickman (i believe) was saying, you have to look around for the one that fits you. I'm as happy as a pig in doo-doo with the Metro Halifax League i'm in now. There's over 30 teams with 16 players each. I won't get into it all, but it's great. I don't know from nuthin about APA but according to the boys down in Florida /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif i'm an 8.

I contribute that in large part to the Leagues. When you get up and play so many games (usually from a cold start)and with a different opponent every time eventually it all rolls into one and that's when you find "your own game". You have the added advantage of playing in a format that keeps stats. that way you can chart your progress over time and make the kind of changes that WORK lol.

You mentioned that you were looking to go for more runnouts. Well i found this practice pretty good for when it's green light time. Work on the breakouts. Spread some balls around and intensionaly set up clusters. Give yourself a few balls to make to get an angle for the break, and always look for your safety valve ball if the break dosn't give up your tied up one. You can win a lot of games by takeing the initative. Generaly if there is one cluster and the rest of my group have a pocket I'll go for it. If there's two or more seperate problems, I'll wait.

Practiceing the 90 degree rule and useing clusters as rail targets pays off. St.

bustah360
04-14-2005, 12:01 PM
Ok I see. Guess that just means that the APA over here should get some actual poolhall sponsors then, and stop subjecting its players to crappy equipment.

MrLucky
04-14-2005, 12:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bustah360:</font><hr> Ok I see. Guess that just means that the APA over here should get some actual poolhall sponsors then, and stop subjecting its players to crappy equipment. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="green">Si Senor ! or you are welcome to move to Atlanta ! we have room for ya! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bustah360
04-14-2005, 12:21 PM
<font color="green">Si Senor ! or you are welcome to move to Atlanta ! we have room for ya! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>
Somehow I don't think ppl would get passed my brooklyn accent, LOL!

catscradle
04-14-2005, 12:24 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote dvsmnstr:</font><hr> Hello everyone I am pretty happy with myself on how all my practice has payed off over the year.. I went from a rating of a 2-3 to a solid 6. I did not start this thread to brag so please don't flame. I was wondering how others have gone up.. do you see yourself getting better? I see that now i'm beating guys who used to always beat me.. Do anyone of you feel your just not getting better? I'm just curious on how everyone is is progressing thats all.. <hr /></blockquote>With the APA, I think they need to have an organized masters division. For some APA 7's, there's no competitive arena that they can play simply because the league doesn't excite them, and they're not good enough to compete in a higher level tournament.

Fred <hr /></blockquote>

I think most apa 7's (and higher in 9-ball) have a hard time finding a team who wants them due to the 23 handicap max even if they want to play in the APA.
BTW, at first when I read "masters division" I thought you were talking about a special league for old farts like me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As to the original question I've gone from a 4 to a 6 in 8-ball, and a 4 to a 5 in another APA franchise area over the course of 2 1/2 years. I believe that I'm improving lately due to joining an unhandicapped league totally unrelated to APA.

MrLucky
04-14-2005, 12:36 PM
<font color="brown"> I all reality the truth of the matter is I know some SL#'s that have been between a 3 and a 4 for 10-15 years ! is it because of the APA ? Not at all they are comfortable being where they are and do not desire to improve! I know some level 3 and 4's that are now 6 and 7 within one year Was it because of APA Hell no ! but the APA like any other situation that exposes you to all levels of players helped them to see more styles and philosophies of shooting ! it was up to the individual to decide to examine them and utilize the things that made them grow! </font color> /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara
04-14-2005, 01:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> You mentioned that you were looking to go for more runnouts. Well i found this practice pretty good for when it's green light time. Work on the breakouts. Spread some balls around and intensionaly set up clusters. Give yourself a few balls to make to get an angle for the break, and always look for your safety valve ball if the break dosn't give up your tied up one. You can win a lot of games by takeing the initative. Generaly if there is one cluster and the rest of my group have a pocket I'll go for it. If there's two or more seperate problems, I'll wait.

Practiceing the 90 degree rule and useing clusters as rail targets pays off. St.
<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Stretch, and what I really have to do is take the damn cover off the table in the basement and practice some straight pool! There's lots of clusters in straight pool!

Barbara

chrisfvideo2
04-15-2005, 11:12 AM
I started APA League Play last spring after having beaten some guys I met in a bar on an unusually good night. They recruited me as a sleeper player. We made it to Vegas last August for Nationals, and made it 4 matches in. The thing is, due to the 23 point cap, everyone at Nationals is a sandbagger extroardinaire! I had to dump a few matches to stay a 5 going into Nats. My team needed me as a 5 due to the cap. I thought that by understating my true SL by a point, I'd have the advantage in Vegas. Not even close!! I played a "3" from PA whose APA # is in the first two hundred or so! He won the lag, then broke and ran twice in a row. I never got a shot at all. This was typical of all the teams that were doing well there. Everything happens so fast that by the time they get bumped up from a "3" to a 6 or 7, the money's in the bank.

Thunderduck
04-15-2005, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I played APA 8-ball for about 1-1/2 years, always as a SL7. My primary reason for participating was to have a night out with pool-playing friends who did not possess the skills to join my BCA team.

As a social event, the APA league met my goals. And for inexperienced players, I could see the competition helping them to improve, particularly when competing with higher-skilled players and being exposed to defensive maneuvers.

I did not remain in APA because I just couldn't stand the format of play, ie show up at 7:30 and breathe smoke until midnight, all to play one match against one opponent.

My BCA league played it's matches on three tables simultaneously, you showed up at 8 and were done playing five different opponents by 10, with very little waiting-around time.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Are any of the leagues smoke free?

MrLucky
04-15-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I played APA 8-ball for about 1-1/2 years, always as a SL7. My primary reason for participating was to have a night out with pool-playing friends who did not possess the skills to join my BCA team.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Are any of the leagues smoke free? <hr /></blockquote>

Just my 2 cents ! LOL! I wish there was a non smokers league! I play out of a inhouse league precisely for that reason MR CUES in Atlanta is huge with a excellent air system there are like other spots plenty of smokers but it is not bad in their at all relatively speaking! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
04-15-2005, 12:32 PM
"one big Rastafarian guy...."
Is Haile Selassie your team's spiritual leader?

Stretch
04-15-2005, 03:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> You mentioned that you were looking to go for more runnouts. Well i found this practice pretty good for when it's green light time. Work on the breakouts. Spread some balls around and intensionaly set up clusters. Give yourself a few balls to make to get an angle for the break, and always look for your safety valve ball if the break dosn't give up your tied up one. You can win a lot of games by takeing the initative. Generaly if there is one cluster and the rest of my group have a pocket I'll go for it. If there's two or more seperate problems, I'll wait.

<hr /></blockquote>

Thanks Stretch, and what I really have to do is take the damn cover off the table in the basement and practice some straight pool! There's lots of clusters in straight pool!

There ya go! Great idea. Even that skill game where you get a point a ball and 2 for each of the the last 5 (in order) would give you lots of work on clearing tables. St.

kenz54
04-16-2005, 10:55 PM
All leagues and pool rooms in Massachusetts and Rhode Island are now by law, smoke free. It is great not smelling like smoke when I go home for the night. The down side is that many of the smokers take breaks during matches so you have to wait for them to come back from smoking outside to finish the match. Small price to pay to keep things smoke free though.

pooltchr
04-17-2005, 04:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bustah360:</font><hr> Ok I see. Guess that just means that the APA over here should get some actual poolhall sponsors then, and stop subjecting its players to crappy equipment. <hr /></blockquote>

Why leave it up to the league. If you find a room you like, you can talk to the owner about basing your team there. It might start out as a traveling team, but half of your matches would be at home. As the other teams visit, they may decide to move their teams as well.
The APA loves to add new host rooms, so they shouldn't have any problem with it.
Take the initiative yourself rather than waiting for someone else to do it for you.

MrLucky...I wish I could talk Richard into opening another room like yours up my way. I would love to play league in a room like Mr Cues every week! I hope you know how "Lucky" you are!
Steve

Barbara
04-17-2005, 11:10 AM
Stretch,

I just got back from a tournament at Clifton Billiards in NJ. I won my first match, lost my second to Gina Lipsky, but then won my third against Carol and somehow caught a gear in my fourth where I could run out from anywhere and everywhere. And back on the 9-footers, to boot! My opponent had me down 4-2, I tied her at 4-4, then ran out on the last three racks (early in the racks) to win. Unfortunately I then ran into Liz "The Giant Killer" Schwartzreich and she froze me in my chair for her 7-1 win.

But it was great! Heck! I think I'll start practicing this week again.

BTW, last week I was knocked down to an s/l 5. I asked my captain what's with the s/l roller coaster ride and she said that lots of people are talking about me in the league and the higher ups have no idea where to place me at. I'm just glad they weren't there to see me on Saturday or I'd be an 8! LOL!

Barbara

Stretch
04-17-2005, 06:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Stretch,

I just got back from a tournament at Clifton Billiards in NJ. I won my first match, lost my second to Gina Lipsky, but then won my third against Carol and somehow caught a gear in my fourth where I could run out from anywhere and everywhere. And back on the 9-footers, to boot! My opponent had me down 4-2, I tied her at 4-4, then ran out on the last three racks (early in the racks) to win. Unfortunately I then ran into Liz "The Giant Killer" Schwartzreich and she froze me in my chair for her 7-1 win.

But it was great! Heck! I think I'll start practicing this week again.

BTW, last week I was knocked down to an s/l 5. I asked my captain what's with the s/l roller coaster ride and she said that lots of people are talking about me in the league and the higher ups have no idea where to place me at. I'm just glad they weren't there to see me on Saturday or I'd be an 8! LOL!

Barbara
<hr /></blockquote>

Way-da-go Barbara!!! Sounds like you played GREAT. Remember that feeling and take it wherever you go. And thanks for shareing, it's always fun to here of our CCB'ers highlights.

I had a real good day of pool myself. Played in the year ending 9 ball provincial championships and finished 5th/6th in a tuff field of 39 qualifiers. Soooooo close, but finaly ran out of gas. I'm exhausted now and wuffing down a foot long sub. We done good Barb /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

Rich R.
04-18-2005, 02:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> I won my first match, lost my second to Gina Lipsky, but then won my third against Carol <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">Sounds like Carol's new cue is faulty. Please have her ship it to me for examination. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>and somehow caught a gear in my fourth where I could run out from anywhere and everywhere. And back on the 9-footers, to boot! My opponent had me down 4-2, I tied her at 4-4, then ran out on the last three racks (early in the racks) to win. <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">Don't ya just hate when that happens? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif </font color>
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>Unfortunately I then ran into Liz "The Giant Killer" Schwartzreich and she froze me in my chair for her 7-1 win.<hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">At least you had a chance to catch up on your rest. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif </font color>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr>But it was great! Heck! I think I'll start practicing this week again.

BTW, last week I was knocked down to an s/l 5. I asked my captain what's with the s/l roller coaster ride and she said that lots of people are talking about me in the league and the higher ups have no idea where to place me at. I'm just glad they weren't there to see me on Saturday or I'd be an 8! LOL! <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue">You will most likely continue on that s/l roller coaster until you have at least 10, and as many as 20, matches in the APA computer. Especially, in your position, it will take that long for the computer to determine a stable s/l for you. Just enjoy the ride.</font color>

SpiderMan
04-18-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote chrisfvideo2:</font><hr> I played a "3" from PA whose APA # is in the first two hundred or so! He won the lag, then broke and ran twice in a row. I never got a shot at all. This was typical of all the teams that were doing well there. Everything happens so fast that by the time they get bumped up from a "3" to a 6 or 7, the money's in the bank. <hr /></blockquote>

I don't understand part of that reasoning. I thought that if a guy gets bumped anytime during the tournament in 'Vegas, he cannot go back down, ever. It was my understanding that you can never be rated lower than the highest SL at which you compete in a national tourney.

This would mean that, even though "the money's in the bank" when he gets bumped up, the same player could not come back as a 3 again the following year. And certainly not for 20 years straight.

Any APA LOs listening, did I misunderstand the procedure?

SpiderMan