PDA

View Full Version : Three foul rule-how do you use it?

Duckie
04-14-2005, 10:01 AM
In last nights 9 ball tournament, I got my first real introduction on how someone can use the three foul rule.

So how do you use it?

Scott Lee
04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
Duckie...The 3-foul rule applies to 9-ball and Straight Pool. In 9-ball, if you can hide your opponent well enough, so that they miss getting a legal hit on the correct OB, you get ball in hand. Do that three times in a row (three consecutive innings), and you win the game. In Straight Pool, foul three times in a row, and it is an additional -15 points foul penalty, plus the -3 points for each foul. There is no ball in hand in Straight Pool, unless the CB scratches in a pocket or on the floor. Then it is b-i-h in the kitchen. There is no 3 foul rule in 8-ball. Hope this helps.

Scott Lee

MosconiJr
04-14-2005, 10:11 AM
I don't really look for a time to use the 3 foul rule, except if my opponent scratches on the break (in 9 ball). If they scratched, then the odds are that it was not that great a break, and there may be some clusters to hide the lowest # ball behind. Also, that's when the most # of balls are on the table to take advantage of, and the runout may be a little harder. Plus, they are already on 1, so 1 good shot will have them on 2 fouls. If the table is not easily runnable, I will try to foul them out on the next shot.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-14-2005, 10:45 AM
If I am playing 14.1 and my opponent fouls and leaves me no shot or no good safe opportunity I will usually take an intentional foul and leave the cb stuck to the pack

bustah360
04-14-2005, 10:59 AM
The 3-foul rule is good for lower caliber players who can't easily run a rack also. Its a good way of staying on the table long enough to get 9 dropped if you dont succeed in the 3 fouls. I find it a very good way to practice your safety play during a match.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-14-2005, 11:27 AM
Scott,

The '3 foul' rule also applies to One Pocket...

Stretch
04-14-2005, 12:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr> In last nights 9 ball tournament, I got my first real introduction on how someone can use the three foul rule.

So how do you use it?

<hr /></blockquote>

Usualy when the opportunity presents itself. If your victim is already on 1 foul ie scratch or foul then look for a lockup. This generaly happens when the lowest ball on the table is next to another ball. Then it's simply a matter of exicuting a stop shot, or short distance movement, in the right direction to freeze the cueball behind the obsticle ball. The trick is thinking ahead for this shot. You want to send the ob idealy to an area where there are other balls, making the subsiquent and final safe that much easier. Try to avoid leaveing the ob close to a rail (rails make the ob bigger), or if your realy feeling cocky play it to finish near the 9 ball to threaten a combination 9 for the game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

christopheradams
04-14-2005, 01:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr>
So how do you use it?

<hr /></blockquote>

The the table is cluster *uck*d and you don't have many breakout shots, you may want to look for this route. Its not that easy if your touch is out of wack. Usually entails freezing the cue ball to another ball if your playing a good player. Otherwise if your playing joe smoe, go head an leave behind a bunch of balls. I probably only won 9ball matches on the 3 foul rule less times in my life that I can count on my fingers. Although I did win once with the 3 foul rule against a very good player for $25 about 10 years ago that I distintly remember. He was very upset and quit playing. He even went to the house pro and was whining about it and confirming the rule with him. House pro didn't take his side like he thought he would. That was actually the first time I ever won money in pool too so maybe thats why it sticks out in my mind so much. That was the time I really begin to get hooked on pool too.

Also, if the table doesn't have clusters and you see a viable break out shot. I think odds are in your favor to go for the break out or run instead of the 3 foul. I've seen more 3 foul attempts go wrong, than 3 foul attempts win games. I would use it like salt , fat, and anything else that is not too good for you. Use it sparingly.

PQQLK9
04-14-2005, 05:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duckie:</font><hr> In last nights 9 ball tournament, I got my first real introduction on how someone can use the three foul rule.

So how do you use it?

<hr /></blockquote>
In order for the third foul to count you have to warn your opponent when she is on two. (make sure she aknowledges you)