PDA

View Full Version : Quick Intelligence Test , Aliens are welcome

Rod
06-06-2002, 12:59 AM
1. If you went to bed at 8 o'clock at night and wound up your clock alarm to get you up at 9 o'clock the next morning, how many hours sleep would you get?

2. A man builds a house and all four sides have a southern exposure. A bear wanders by - what color is the bear?

3. I have in my hand only 2 U.S. coins which total 55 cents in value. One is not a nickel. What are the coins?

4. Take two apples from three apples and what do you have?

5. Is it legal in California for a man to marry his widow's sister?

Ok the answers are farther down, but don't peek, answer first.

I said don't peek, post a reply to the questions!

If you went this far this far I know your thinking of cheating.

I thought pool players didn't cheat, this includes you!!!!

Now your really starting to make me think that pool players do cheat or at least take a peek, to sugar coat it. I hear you all say otherwise so prove it, go to the top and answer the questions.

And you call yourself honest, ok if you just have to look go ahead, but your cheating if you didn't reply first.
If you haven't replied yet, how do feel now? Feeling a little guilty?

Just a little farther.

I know pool players, and there all a little sneaky, not to mention shifty and sly characters!! If your this far, might as well go ahead and disappoint me, but remember your doing it to yourself. What would your peers think now?

Ok answers are up next for those of you that answered first, and even for those that fudged a lot!!! That was nice of me not to call you a cheat wasn't it? You should feel real guilty. Well do ya? Go ahead and make my day!
My answer is up next, really, I mean really. I mean your this far, might as well go ahead, even though you know it's wrong if you didn't answer first. Ok go ahead

Just a little farther, having second thoughts?

I knew I couldn't trust pool players, well maby one but he's dead. My guess is you all peeked first including aliens. No answers today, ha! ha! ha! ha! ha! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif That comes tommorrow, so you see you do have to answer the quiz, lol, if you choose.

And you thought you could trust me! Should have known better, I'm a pool player! How intelligent do you feel now? ha ha ha /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif /ccboard/images/icons/laugh.gif

~~~ Rod thinks there might be some honest ones out there, but still looking, and definately not sure about aliens!

06-06-2002, 01:09 AM
looking for diogenese??

not here.

dan

Q-guy
06-06-2002, 01:12 AM
1. one hour
2. white
3. a nickel and a half dollar
4. two apples
5. It would be hard, he is dead.

TomBrooklyn
06-06-2002, 01:13 AM
1. If you went to bed at 8 o'clock at night and wound up your clock alarm to get you up at 9 o'clock the next morning, how many hours sleep would you get? About 8hrs. You would wake up before the alarm rings.

2. A man builds a house and all four sides have a southern exposure. A bear wanders by - what color is the bear? White.

3. I have in my hand only 2 U.S. coins which total 55 cents in value. One is not a nickel. What are the coins? Fifty cent piece and a nickle.

4. Take two apples from three apples and what do you have? One apple.

5. Is it legal in California for a man to marry his widow's sister? N/A. The man is dead.

Edit Note: I self grade this as 60% and think IQ-Guy got 100%.

TomBrooklyn
06-06-2002, 01:18 AM
A worm is at the bottom of a twenty foot deep well. The worm climbs up 3 feet every day, but slips down two feet every night. How many days will it take the worm to reach the top?

Q-guy
06-06-2002, 01:36 AM
Just thinking about it, I think he would clime out on the 18th day. I could be wrong, it is late.

Rod
06-06-2002, 01:39 AM
18 days

sliprock
06-06-2002, 02:23 AM
1. Depends on the time you fall asleep.
2.White
3.1 half-dollar & 1 half-dime.
4. 2 apples
5.No

MaineEAck
06-06-2002, 05:01 AM
1. 11 hours
2. south or north pole
3. no clue
4. 2
5.no b/c his widow sister means he is dead right?

bigalerickson
06-06-2002, 05:09 AM
How is the bear white? Somebody comprehend this one for me, because im just missing it.

Got an 80%

BigAl - thinks #2 is a trick question

MaineEAck
06-06-2002, 05:34 AM
The bear is white b/c the only place where all 4 sides of your house can have southern view or whatever is the it is on the north pole... And it's all polar bears there...
I THINK... /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Jay M
06-06-2002, 05:48 AM
1. No idea, I'm guessing one hour because windup alarm clocks don't have an AM/PM setting.
2. white, it's a polar bear
3. one is a half-dollar, the OTHER is a nickel
4. two apples (that's what you took, remember?)
5. the man would be dead (although the movie "Double Jeopardy" raises some possibilities on this one).

Jay M

Jay M
06-06-2002, 07:25 AM
A young man looked on with amusement as a truck attempting to cross under an overpass got stuck. Apparently the truck was 1/2 an inch too tall for the overpass, just enough to make it partway under before being firmly stuck. The driver attempted to back out, but the wheels just spun. The driver tried to go forward with the same result. At each attempt, the young man laughed harder. Seeing the laughing boy, the driver went and asked him why he was laughing and the boy said he knew an easy answer to the driver's problem and would tell it to him for $20.00. The driver thought about it a minute and said OK so the young man whispered something in the driver's ear. The driver laughed for a few minutes, gave the boy his $20.00 and then went to go drive away.

What did the boy tell the driver to do?

Jay M

Wally_in_Cincy
06-06-2002, 07:31 AM
Let air out of tires. Believe it or not I saw this happen once.

06-06-2002, 07:45 AM
two Germans where walking across a bridge, one was married to the otherones son, how where they related? Smooth Stroke

06-06-2002, 07:51 AM
Try this one-----Two Germans where walking across a bridge-----one was the father of the other ones son, how where they related-----I screwed this up the first time..... to earley in the AM. Smooth Stroke

Jay M
06-06-2002, 07:57 AM
the other one was a woman... father, mother and son. The conventional answer would be that she was the wife, but in today's world that isn't necessarily true so the relation is either wife, girlfriend, fiancee or lover.

Jay M

Patrick
06-06-2002, 08:03 AM
Here is a harder one. <a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/4417/index1.html>http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/Hangar/4417/index1.html</a>

#21 SOME SOLUTIONS WILL ARRIVE - ONE DAY !
This one is a little bit strange. I gave this riddle
to seven people. Four of them had no idea how to solve
it. Five weeks later the three other persons gave up,
too. But I'm sure that one day someone will solve this!
Where the hell is the question - there is none.

Q-guy
06-06-2002, 08:04 AM
In a tray of pool balls there are 15 balls including the cue ball. There are four across and four down for a total of 16 balls. (You know like the plastic tray you get from the desk when you rent a table.) Using the face value of the balls with the cue ball being 16. You must arrange the balls in the tray so they add up to 34 in every row, both across and down. You can use pieces cut out of paper if you don't have access to a tray of balls. You may post the answer by listing the ball arrangement from left to right starting with the top row. First right answer wins a prize with a value of $35.00

Patrick
06-06-2002, 08:29 AM
16 8. 9. 1.
2. 10 7. 15
3. 11 6. 14
13 5. 12 4.

Jay M
06-06-2002, 08:35 AM
Here's an alternate answer:

16, 10, 7,1
11, 6, 4, 13

Jay M

Patrick
06-06-2002, 08:52 AM
Mine has a pattern.
16 first row, 15 second, 14 third, 13 fourth. Same pattern with all numbers.

Patrick

Jay M
06-06-2002, 08:58 AM
so does mine...

I used pairs of value 17 for the rows and pairs of 21 and 13 for the columns.

You used the first variation, take the sequence, split it into two even groups 1-8 and 9-16 take the highest and lowest of each group and add them together then pair them that way...etc.

Next question, how many possible solutions are there?

Jay M

Patrick
06-06-2002, 09:08 AM
Minimum 16.

Patrick

Patrick
06-06-2002, 09:12 AM
I also had that kind of pattern, I had 17 pair value in rows and 18 and 16 in the columns. (16 17 18= Another pattern) You had pattern 13 17 21, numbers increasing by 4, my pattern is more obvious.
I had one more pattern than you had.

Patrick

Q-guy
06-06-2002, 09:12 AM
Patrick wins. I will private message you and send you your prize.

06-06-2002, 10:51 AM
Deflate his tires.

06-06-2002, 10:57 AM
Yup, the rationale behind the "brain-teaser" is what you say.....that the house is at the North Pole, which is why the bear is white.

However, this brain teaser is actually flawed, because it is seemingly based on the assumption that the only bears inhabiting the North Pole are polar bears. In fact, brown bears also live in the North Pole, although in limited numbers.

So, from a logic standpoint, the positively correct answer should be "there is not enough information to conclusively determine the color of the bear." or, alternately, "it is white or brown".

bigalerickson
06-06-2002, 11:53 AM
thanks, I thought it might be something like that, but it just wasn't coming together.

06-06-2002, 12:56 PM
Here's one of my favorite jokes, which conveniently revolves around polar bears:

A young polar bear boy walks up to his mom and says, "Mom, am I a hundred percent polar bear?"

"Why, of course, you're a hundred percent polar bear! I'm a hundred percent polar bear, your dad is a hundred percent polar bear, everyone in the family is a hundred percent polar bear."

Dissatisfied, the young polar bear walks up to his dad. "Dad, am I a hundred percent polar bear?"

"Of course you are son. I'm a hundred percent polar bear, your mom's a hundred percent polar bear, everyone in the family is a hundred percent polar bear."

The young polar bear finds his grandmother, and asks again.

"Of course you are, child! I'm a hundred percent polar bear, your mom's a hundred percent polar bear, your dad's a hundred percent polar bear. Why do you ask?"

"Because I'm freezing my ass off."

I love that one.

- Steve

06-06-2002, 01:05 PM
You are in a room with three light switches. Outside, there are three other rooms, each with one lightbulb. Currently, all the switches are off, and all the bulbs are off. Turning a switch to on will obviously turn on its associated bulb.

You are allowed to make ONE trip outside, in an effort to determine exactly which switch is connected to which bulb, for all three switches. Once outside, you can go to as many rooms as you like, but you cannot come back to the room with the light switches.

This is not a trick. There's a real answer. Rumor is it's a question on a Microsoft interview application, but I have no idea if that's true.

Can anyone figure it out?

- Steve

Ken
06-06-2002, 01:33 PM
Turn on two bulbs for a few minutes.
Turn one off.
Check all three rooms: Warm bulb is the one you turned off. The one still on is the one you left on. The coolest one is controlled by the other switch.
KenCT

06-06-2002, 02:02 PM
Good job, Ken!

- Steve

TomBrooklyn
06-06-2002, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: IQ-Guy and Rod:</font><hr> 18 days<hr></blockquote>18 days is correct. On the eighteenth day the worm reaches the top and does not slip down. The question was a sample of a question from a MENSA test.

06-06-2002, 02:19 PM
Jay, I thought Polar bears didn't have white fur. I thought their fur was clear but I could be wrong.

Kato

06-06-2002, 02:32 PM
You are confronted with two doors. In front of each door is a guard. One of the doors leads to heaven, the other to hell. One of the guards always tells the truth, the other always lies. Assuming that you want to go to the door to heaven, and you can ask only ONE question to ONE of the guards. What question do you ask that will insure that you choose the door that leads to heaven

06-06-2002, 02:36 PM
1) I used to throw that alarm clock into my closet, that's why I didn't get out of college.

2) No thanks, don't like cold, don't want a bear around.

3) 1 is a 50 piece and the other is a nickel

4) More apples than you

5) What kind of sick sadistic person would do that?

Kato~~~goofing around ready to go home.

Nostroke
06-06-2002, 02:58 PM
1.well if you wound it, it wasnt digital or on 24 hr time i presume so you got one hour sleep but then again who says you fell right asleep so the answer is really one hour Maximum

the bear is white cause u had to be at N pole and there are only POLAR bears there.

the other is a nickel of course so its 50C and nickel

i cant figure this one out i guess-Wait!! i just got it- YOU (I) have two apples

and of course dead people cant marry.

heater451
06-06-2002, 03:06 PM
Knock yourself out. . . .

http://rec-puzzles.org/

Nostroke
06-06-2002, 03:22 PM
Here is one that no one has ever gotten and i didnt get it either but its not a trick question. There is a guy talking on the phone in an East Coast (on the friggin ocean)State (USA) talking to a guy in a West coast state. (on the friggin ocean-USA). The east coast guy says " its ..... O'clock here. The west coast guy says- "yea its the same time here".

Both guys are correct of course, so how did this happen AND what time was it?

06-06-2002, 03:23 PM
Rod, you did get them all right according to the jokes, but the answer to number 2 is actually incorrect.

Polar bears are NOT the only bears at the North Pole; brown bears (though limited in number) do also inhabit the North Pole.

The true answer to this question should be "either brown or white."

06-06-2002, 03:23 PM
Rod, you did get them all right according to the jokes, but the answer to number 2 is actually incorrect.

Polar bears are NOT the only bears at the North Pole; brown bears (though limited in number) do also inhabit the North Pole.

The true answer to this question should be "either brown or white."

Nostroke
06-06-2002, 03:34 PM
Are you calling me Rod? or are you just happy to see me?

Rod
06-06-2002, 06:09 PM
1. 1 hour of sleep. Wind up clocks don't have am/pm settings.

2. . White. The North Pole is the only place where all four sides face south.

3. A half-dollar and a nickel. (Only one was not a nickel)

4. 2 apples

5. No. Can't marry someone if you're dead.

IQguy answered correct first, then NoStroke. I'm not sure this has anything to do with IQ or anything for that matter. Just having fun away from the pool topics. So how many peeked first? he he he

Nostroke
06-06-2002, 09:20 PM
I dont think so.

#1 The polar bears would kill them

#2. what are they going to eat?. They cant sneak up on anything up there-would stand out like a big brown thing on ice and there are no plants. i never saw one on natl geographic swimmin around in the ocean chasing fish. You gotta prove that one to me.

MikeM
06-06-2002, 09:41 PM
"Is this the door to hell?"

The liar will say yes and the honest one would say no.

MM

06-06-2002, 11:31 PM
Mike, I don't think that works.

If the honest one is in front of Hell, he'll say "Yes". If the honest one is in front of Heaven, he'll say "No".

Since you don't know who's the liar, you don't know whether to believe the answer or not.

- Steve

Jay M
06-07-2002, 06:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JasonG NYC:</font><hr> You are confronted with two doors. In front of each door is a guard. One of the doors leads to heaven, the other to hell. One of the guards always tells the truth, the other always lies. Assuming that you want to go to the door to heaven, and you can ask only ONE question to ONE of the guards. What question do you ask that will insure that you choose the door that leads to heaven <hr></blockquote>

"If I was to ask the other guard if this was the door to hell, what would (s)he say?"

Yes=go through the door
No=go through the other door

The "truth guard" always tells the truth so he will tell you what the liar would say.

The "liar guard" always lies so he would NOT tell you the "truth guard" would say.

No matter which one you talked to, the answer would be a lie. You have therefore gotten the wrong answer regardless of which one you asked the question of.

Jay M

06-07-2002, 07:35 AM
Nice work Jay.. that's it!

J--

MikeM
06-07-2002, 07:49 AM
That teaches me for trying to think late at night! I was assuming that the liar would be in front of the door to hell (since that's where he's going!) and the good one in front of heaven.

MM...didn't do so well on Rod's first test either.

SPetty
06-07-2002, 02:46 PM
Hey Q-guy, I never heard what the prize is. What's the prize?

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> Patrick wins. I will private message you and send you your prize. <hr></blockquote>

06-07-2002, 02:57 PM
I'm amused.....you don't really think I'd assert it if I couldn't back it up now, do ya? However, I'm happy to oblige.

Brown bears in the North Pole are typically the Kenai Brown Bear and the Kodiak Brown Bear. Feel free to look up either one on the internet.

Additionally, feel free to check this link (http://ths.sps.lane.edu/biomes/tundra5/tundra5.html)which includes the following: "Artic wildlife is circumpolar (surrounding or near either pole of the earth), the same or closely related species are found around the world. The variety of animal life is also limited in the challenging environment. Musk-ox, caribou, and reindeer are the dominant large grazers, feeding on grass, sedge, lichen, and willow. Arctic hare, or snowshoe rabbit, and lemming feed on grass and sedge. Predators include the wolf, artic fox, and snowy owl. Polar bears, and sometimes brown bears are seen."

I trust this is sufficient for the non-believers ;-)

06-07-2002, 03:06 PM
Sorry folks....in my haste to reply, I forgot to fill in my name, hence it shows "anonymous". Let's try again:

I'm amused.....you don't really think I'd assert (that there are brown bears at the North Pole) it if I couldn't back it up now, do ya? However, I'm happy to oblige.

Brown bears in the North Pole are typically the Kenai Brown Bear and the Kodiak Brown Bear. Feel free to look up either one on the internet.

Additionally, feel free to check this link (http://ths.sps.lane.edu/biomes/tundra5/tundra5.html)which includes the following:

"Artic wildlife is circumpolar (surrounding or near either pole of the earth), the same or closely related species are found around the world. The variety of animal life is also limited in the challenging environment. Musk-ox, caribou, and reindeer are the dominant large grazers, feeding on grass, sedge, lichen, and willow. Arctic hare, or snowshoe rabbit, and lemming feed on grass and sedge. Predators include the wolf, artic fox, and snowy owl. Polar bears, and sometimes brown bears are seen."

I trust this is sufficient for the non-believers ;-)

Rod
06-07-2002, 03:49 PM
aldewey, I didn't check your sources, I trust ya. However I didn't invent the question or answer either. I got those from another site. Ok so I'm a little guilty for not doing my homework and checking out the bear situation up north.
I'll take my whipping now, but I'm not going to cut my own switch, like mom made me do! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

rod~~~ feeling guilty

Q-guy
06-07-2002, 04:19 PM
He told me what kind of cue he has, and I sent him a set of joint protectors.

06-07-2002, 07:19 PM
Now that's nice. How do you get joint protectors for a virtual cue anyway? ( Just kidding, Patrick, I couldn't resist.) I was impressed with your answers, and yes, I know you play 'real' pool too! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Q-guy
06-07-2002, 09:07 PM
I have shown that to people in poolrooms for years. Few ever figure it out and most that do take hours. I have no idea how he did it that quick. I know he has never seen it before. Someone else, I forget who, was just a few minutes behind him. Some pretty smart people here.

Nostroke
06-07-2002, 09:47 PM
In order for a house to have 4 sides facing south it has to be At the North Pole not "near" it i would think. There is no land there or anywhere close, only the frozen arctic ocean -Nothing is grazing there and if a brown bear were dumb enough to wander onto the ice which i am sure they are not, it would die long before he reached the Npole. thats what i think but i could be wrong i guess-here is a link of N pole map

http://www.lib.utexas.edu/maps/islands_oceans_poles/arctic_region_pol01.jpg

06-11-2002, 10:11 AM
You wrote: In order for a house to have 4 sides facing south it has to be At the North Pole not "near" it i would think. There is no land there or anywhere close, only the frozen arctic ocean -Nothing is grazing there and if a brown bear were dumb enough to wander onto the ice which i am sure they are not, it would die long before he reached the Npole. thats what i think but i could be wrong i guess-here is a link of N pole map

Pardon me for pointing out the obvious, but.....

if you think it's impossible for a brown bear to get to the house built at the *exact* North Pole, then I'd love to know how you think it's possible to BUILD A HOUSE in the middle of the water! As you yourself pointed out, there's no land at the exact pole or anywhere near it. Are you contending that a bear isn't "dumb enough" to wander out onto the ice, but that a human is stupid enough to try building a house without any land under it?

Evidentally, you've never watched the Discovery channel either. Even when the surface layer of the water is frozen, there is fluid water underneath. And in that fluid water exist a big food staple.....FISH! Amazing!

I think you're getting a little too literal, Nostroke. The point of the joke is for the solver to deduce that the house is built at the North Pole. It so happens that whoever originally crafted the joke (and I don't mean Rod, because this joke has been around for quite some time now) was obviously unaware of the presence of brown bears at the North Pole, that's all.

Nostroke
06-11-2002, 12:13 PM
Ok this is last i have to say about this.

I think your correction is wrong. I think the original answer is correct. Just because you state it's a flawed "joke" as you call it, doesnt make it so. Your correction is flawed.

The man building the house is a supposition, it isnt to be questioned.

Secondly, the water there is FROZEN!! So if dont believe its a supposition be advised a house can be built on ice.

The reason I brought this up is because you mentioned all the brown bears and other animals "grazing" up there. Nothing grazes on ice so your supporting evidence must speak of an an area other than the North Pole.

Brown Bears do not hang out on ice. Polar Bears love to hang there. If a bear were sighted at the North pole, it would no doubt be white!!

06-12-2002, 08:46 AM
Well, nostroke, all I can say to you is this: you are entitled to believe what you want, even if it is wrong. And it is wrong.

It would really behoove you to read a little more closely. *I* NEVER said bears, or for that matter, ANY other animals graze. That quote comes directly from folks WHO LIVE THERE...it comes from a site that educates people about the North Pole habitat.

Not for nothing, but somehow I get the overwhelming sense that people who inhabit the area know a great deal more about the area than you do. You do amuse me, though...."brown bears do not hang out on the ice". How are you an expert on brown bears?

I get the sense you just don't like to be wrong. I get the sense that, even with unrefutable proof, you'd probably also argue about whether the world is flat or round.

A logic problem is supposed to be structured in such a way that only one conclusion is possible. In this case, the answer is "the bear is either white or brown". It's true that it's highly likely....maybe even 99.9% likely...to be white, but the POSSIBILITY exists that it can be brown.

But, as I said, believe what you want--it truly makes no difference to me. There's no point in debating this with you any longer if your attitude is "it's this way because I say it is." That doesn't apply any logic, making this a waste of space.

Patrick
06-12-2002, 11:23 AM
It is possible for the bear to be all colors, if someone painted the bear.

Patrick

06-12-2002, 02:27 PM
Well, nostroke, all I can say to you is this: you are entitled to believe what you want, even if it is wrong. And it is wrong.

It would really behoove you to read a little more closely. *I* NEVER said bears, or for that matter, ANY other animals graze. That quote comes directly from folks WHO LIVE THERE...it comes from a site that educates people about the North Pole habitat.

Not for nothing, but somehow I get the overwhelming sense that people who inhabit the area know a great deal more about the area than you do. You do amuse me, though...."brown bears do not hang out on the ice". How are you an expert on brown bears?

I get the sense you just don't like to be wrong. I get the sense that, even with unrefutable proof, you'd probably also argue about whether the world is flat or round.

A logic problem is supposed to be structured in such a way that only one conclusion is possible. In this case, the answer is "the bear is either white or brown". It's true that it's highly likely....maybe even 99.9% likely...to be white, but the POSSIBILITY exists that it can be brown.

But, as I said, believe what you want--it truly makes no difference to me. There's no point in debating this with you any longer if your attitude is "it's this way because I say it is." That doesn't apply any logic, making this a waste of space.

06-12-2002, 02:41 PM
Patrick, I gotta hand it to you. That was hilarious.

- Steve

MikeM
06-12-2002, 02:58 PM
Patrick,

Whether or not you stop playing pool, please stick around the CCB. You are VERY entertaining. This one definitely had me LOL!

MM...BTW I think we're confusing the Arctic Region with the North Pole. When the first explorers arrived at the North Pole, whoever did it first(there's another topic for argument!) I don't believe they found any houses or ANY bears (painted or otherwise). And I believe they said it was DAMN COLD. And lastly, IT WAS A JOKE!

cheesemouse
06-12-2002, 05:33 PM
Patrick,
That cracked my up........LOL. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

06-12-2002, 06:25 PM
http://www.polarbearsalive.org/facts4.htm#anchor828042

this is what link says

"While scientists believe that most polar bears limit their travels to a home range of a few hundred miles, one satellite-tracked female surprised researchers by setting off on a trek of some 3,000 miles. The power-walking bear began her journey at Alaska's Prudhoe Bay. From there she traveled across the top of the world to Greenland, where she spent the winter before moving on to Canada's Ellesmere Island and back to Greenland again".

Maybe Polar Bears do get there but I do not see evidence on Brown Bear from Adelway or the net on that.

06-13-2002, 01:22 PM
I honestly cannot believe that a seemingly offhanded and informal remark meant to be an interesting piece of info has caused such a ruckus.

The point of the joke is that the house has to be at the North Pole. The expected deduction is that the bear *must* be white (a polar bear) because it's the North Pole.

The truth is, polar bears are not the only bears to inhabit the North Pole, and I happened to know that and made that comment to the the person who asked "how do you know the bear is white?".

The rest of this malarky arose because Nostroke (who considers himself an expert on North Pole habitat and on what brown bears might think and/or do) essentially implied that I was full of sh*t and ignorantly stated in no uncertain terms that "brown bears do not hang out on the ice (or at the North Pole). All this over A DAM* JOKE!!!!!

Bear researcher, I think you're not finding reference about brown bears because you are looking at a website dedicated to POLAR bears.

Perhaps this site will help:
http://www.air-ventures.com/northpole/aboutnp.html

From that website, it says:

Arctic animal life is more familiarly represented by the polar bear, which roams the snow and ice.....Besides caribou and polar bears, large Arctic land mammals include OTHER BEARS. (These other bears include the Kenai and Kodiak bears, both of which are found in the Arctic and are brown.)

I'm truly exhausted with this thread. A small piece of useless trivia has turned into a "who's d*ck is bigger contest". Whatever....believe it or don't; I don't care.

06-13-2002, 01:26 PM
I LOVE it! Great answer! Rolling on the floor laughing my posterior off! About time this thread turned back into a source of amusement.

Be careful though....you might prompt a reply post Nostroke saying how the notion of painted bears is a bunch of crap because no painter is going to venture 500 miles out onto the ice.....

Hehhe hheeee heeeeeeee! Thanks for the smile!

Fred Agnir
06-14-2002, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Rod:</font><hr> 5. Is it legal in California for a man to marry his widow's sister?
<hr></blockquote>

I have no idea if this one has been debated yet, but I might as well wade in. The answer is (as my daughter reminds me): of course it is legal. The question doesn't specify whom he marries first. It is certainly possible that he married both women at some point (with some divorce in between provided Mormon bigamy isn't in play), and then died. So, therefore, he would have been married at some point to his widow's sister.

Fred &lt;~~~ ding dong, the horse is beaten to death.

Nostroke
06-14-2002, 06:34 PM
Well this is away from my area of total expertise (Brown Bears) but the way I see it.

Having been married to (from a retrospective view) is different from "legal to marry" meaning now or in the future-where it remains impossible.

Fred Agnir
06-15-2002, 06:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Nostroke:</font><hr> Well this is away from my area of total expertise (Brown Bears) but the way I see it.

Having been married to (from a retrospective view) is different from "legal to marry" meaning now or in the future-where it remains impossible. <hr></blockquote>

You just got blasted by aldeway in the Brown Bear fiasco, are you really ready for another strike out? j/k

Here's a common conversation understood by all.

Wife: "Sheila married another woman yesterday."
Husband: "Is it legal for her to marry a woman?"

Although the action has happened in the past, the followup question is one of generality and is only loosely related in tense. This remains grammatically correct and contextually understood.

Fred &lt;~~~ yes, I understand I'm taking great liberties...

06-15-2002, 07:36 AM
Yes you are taking great liberties but i will buy your argument long before i buy Brown Bears grazing at the North Pole.

On the other hand the question doesnt provide further context and we have only the given words from which to answer.

So If i asked "is it legal for an adult to drink alcohol in New York"? Could a correct answer really be no because sometime in the past this was true (illegal)?

06-15-2002, 08:11 PM
OOoooo, nice one!

BillPorter
06-16-2002, 07:57 AM
Point well taken. It was too great a strech to make the interpretation Fred suggested. And anyway, the whole spirit of the original post was violated when we get into such hair-splitting arguments (IMHO).

06-17-2002, 09:51 AM
Gee, Fred.......I blasted Nostroke? Really?

Wow. That certainly wasn't the intention nor the spirit of my postings, and I'm sorry it's perceived that way.

Conversation--in all forms, including debate--is a way to gain knowledge and understand more about others.

Fred Agnir
06-17-2002, 10:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Anonymous:</font><hr> Yes you are taking great liberties but i will buy your argument long before i buy Brown Bears grazing at the North Pole.

On the other hand the question doesnt provide further context and we have only the given words from which to answer.

So If i asked "is it legal for an adult to drink alcohol in New York"? Could a correct answer really be no because sometime in the past this was true (illegal)?
<hr></blockquote>

I wrote:
"Although the action has happened in the past, the followup question is one of generality and is only loosely related in tense."

The followup question is in the present, with present day legalities as the basis for answering. If, in my example, today's law in whatever states holds that same spouse marriages are illegal, then the answer would be "no." Likewise, if the question pertained to a state that recognizes same spouse marriages, the answer would be "yes."

There's no contradiction.

Fred

TomBrooklyn
06-17-2002, 12:44 PM
Aldewey, I found the discussion vis-a-vis brown and polar bears as informative and not as an ego enhancing argument, but since you think this thread has gone in that direction and exhausted you, feel free to ignore this post and please excuse me for using it as a launching pad for a related fine point, not intended to detract from the intent of the original riddle.

Upon pondering the debate about the bear situation, I realized that it is unlikely that any bear can live at the north pole because it is permenantly frozen and there are no breaks in the ice for them to fish from.

I researched this and found that polar bears generally range up to about 85 degrees N. Latitude, and some have been sighted as far north as 88 degrees. http://www.cws-scf.ec.gc.ca/hww-fap/hww-fap.cfm?ID_species=69&amp;lang=e By my calculations, 88N would be about 130 miles from the North Pole. Therefore, someone living at the pole would have to use a telescope to see any bears, and due to the curvature of the earth, they would have to look from a window that was very high. I'm not sure how high, but I'm thinking somewhat over 100' above the ground.

Fred Agnir
06-17-2002, 12:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> Upon pondering the debate about the bear situation, I realized that it is unlikely that any bear can live at the north pole because it is permenantly frozen and there are no breaks in the ice for them to fish from. <hr></blockquote>

Is that true? I thought Antarctica was permanently frozen, but not the Arctic.

Fred &lt;~~~ has no frigid clue

Nostroke
06-17-2002, 01:56 PM
This is definitely a hair split that i can agree with. There is small chance that being a land and ice animal one brave or lost polar bear may have been in the vicinity of the N Pole at some point but there isnt a one in a zillion chance for the other species which is strictly a land animal.

As far as being permanently frozen, i dont know. Maybe it does thaw in summer but that only lessens the chances for either. P Bears are super strong swimmers and have been seen in the Ocean Miles from any land or ice but i doubt they would swim to the pole.

PS- Can you imagine Adelway didnt think he blasted me?

06-17-2002, 05:22 PM
QUOTE: ******
Aldewey, I found the discussion vis-a-vis brown and polar bears as informative and not as an ego enhancing argument....********

Tom, that's great, because that's the spirit in which the posts were made....commenting on the unclosed loop in the riddle and passing along "useless but true trivia".

QUOTE: *******
Upon pondering the debate about the bear situation, I realized that it is unlikely that any bear can live at the north pole because it is permenantly frozen and there are no breaks in the ice for them to fish from.

..... Therefore, someone living at the pole would have to use a telescope to see any bears, and due to the curvature of the earth, they would have to look from a window that was very high. I'm not sure how high, but I'm thinking somewhat over 100' above the ground.

Good points all, and in the "real" world (such as it is), I think everyone would agree that the scenario in the riddle would be improbable. I can't imagine that a human would build a house at the North Pole, much less hang out all day watching for bears.

I recognize, though, in the world of riddles that we are asked to accept the facts as they are offered through the riddle. Solving the riddle means deducing the *only* possible answer based on the given facts. The point in this one was to accurately deduce that the house was at the North Pole, and that part works. It would be impossible (not just unlikely or improbable) for the house to be anywhere else based on the data given. The riddle expects the solver to deduce the color of the bear based solely on geography. Based on geography, it is possible (however unlikely or improbable) for the bear to be non-white. And that was the impetus for my initial post....someone asked "how do you know the bear is white", and I responded to that. In this instance, the riddle had more than one possible answer.

Thanks for some great observations and for your gentility, Tom. On a side note, you peaked my curiosity with your assertion that the ice is permanently frozen and there are no breaks. I, in kind, did some research, and was surprised to find that there have been recorded observations of open water at the North Pole. TThought you might be interested....there's even a photo or two; below is a paragraph from that page, which can be found at http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/polar/arctic.htm

"Other scientists and experts on the Arctic environment quickly dismissed the McCarthy claims, pointing out that stretches of open water in summertime are very common in the Arctic [12]. Previous Arctic explorers even expressed frustration at being unable to proceed over the ice due precisely to unpredictable areas of open water obstructing their progress. The reason for the areas of open water is that the floating ice is subject to stresses from wind, currents and tides, causing cracking, ridging between slabs, and the creation of open leads of water between separating ice slabs."

06-17-2002, 05:39 PM
so stop being so modest!!! I checked a few places on the 'net, and it appears you are right on the money [as in COLD hard cash??? ;-) ] about the Arctic. The information I found supports your contention that it isn't completely frozen over.

Kudos on great trivia!

aldewey&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;&lt;has no frigid clue about Antarctica ;-)

Rod
06-17-2002, 08:21 PM
There aren't any bears there any more. I went up and shot them all, no brown ones. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif I mean it was my house, and my joke. It needs more insulation though!

06-17-2002, 08:36 PM
Oh boy Rod. The fur is gonna fly now!

TomBrooklyn
06-18-2002, 11:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: aldewey:</font><hr> you peaked my curiosity with your assertion that the ice is permanently frozen and there are no breaks. I, in kind, did some research, and was surprised to find that there have been recorded observations of open water at the North Pole. TThought you might be interested....there's even a photo or two; below is a paragraph from that page, which can be found at <a target="_blank" href=http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/polar/arctic.htm>http://www.microtech.com.au/daly/polar/arctic.htm</a><hr></blockquote>Interesting site and pics, aldewey. Apparently, it would be difficult to maintain a house, even an igloo type, on the north pole for long, because you never know when the ice will crack and your house will be swallowed by the sea.

06-18-2002, 08:47 PM
Excellant! I can't believe the Yuppies haven't invaded yet, given their propensity for building houses on shifting foundations (Sand dunes, tidal barrier reefs, etc.) /ccboard/images/icons/cool.gif