PDA

View Full Version : "TheTruth" -- a pro-pitbull piece

heater451
04-15-2005, 04:55 PM
I came across this today. It's a Flash movie, in the defense of pit bulls. I make no apologies for the one-sidedness of it, as there are no pictures of dog-attack victims (human, that is---you will see what mean. . . .)

**1st WARNING: Graphic pictures included**

Big Block Kennels - The Truth (http://www.bigblockkennels.com/the_truth1.htm)

====================

Kato
04-15-2005, 06:21 PM
I'm a pitbull fan as well. While I'm the proud owner of a labrador if I had the room I'd like one. Whether or not my dog Mary would like one is a different story all together /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato~~~the only dogs I don't trust are the ones that don't like me.

Harold Acosta
04-15-2005, 09:49 PM
I would never, ever, own a pitbull.

I'll go first with the Puerto Rican Satos (I own 3 of them), then with the Labradors (any of them), and the Lassie's.

www.saveasato.org (http://www.saveasato.org)

"SATO" (pronounced sah-toh) is Puerto Rican slang for mixed breed street dog.

nhp
04-16-2005, 06:27 AM
It breaks my heart what people do to any types of dogs. If I ever caught someone beating his dog or something as cruel as what I just saw in that flash video, I'd have to restrain myself from hurting that person.

roscoe
04-16-2005, 07:24 AM
For about 15 years (70's-80's)I owned and bred pitbull terriers. To me, they are one of the best breed of dogs I have ever come across. The problem is that people who have something missing in their lives or character get ahold of these dogs (usually after their dobe, shepard or rott dies) and feel the need to make them mean.

If you take a pitbull and just raise it like any other dog it will be as friendly to people as can be. The dog will know the difference between bad people and good ones. They love kids and will play with them anytime.

A 'dogman' once said to me that if your pitbull gets loose just follow the trail of dead animals to the playground.

Now many pitbulls will have an inherent need to go for things on four legs and should never be trusted off lead or around other dogs. You may have one that likes to play with other dogs but one day that dog, for whatever reason, may go for his playmate.

Many of the idiots that get these dogs do not realize the sheer power of them; even the small ones. That's another point: Many think big is better and you see pitbulls of enourmous size. When I was breeding them the average male was around 50 pounds and the females around 40 or less. The only time I've seen large pitbulls was for boar hunting, but that's another story.

One of my dogs, Tucker, was a 40 pound male and I believe nothing would like to be on the business end of him. Yet, he was a great dog around kids and people.

Another dog, Patch, was owned by my friend who had, at any one time, 25-30 pitbulls. Patch was out of my male, Max, and his bitch. Patch was a 60 pound male and raised in a house with 3 infants. Patch also was a two time winner in NYC.

http://www.priveye.com/dls/MAXIE.JPG

Roscoe and Maxie in the late 70's

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2005, 08:14 AM
sure they can be good pets but what's the point?

would you carry a loaded gun and wave it around with kids or old folks in the room?

what's the point?

Qtec
04-16-2005, 10:45 AM
What qualities were you trying to breed into the dogs you were breeding?

Why would anyone, who lives anywhere near anybody, want to have a pitbull anyway?

Q

Deeman2
04-16-2005, 11:14 AM
Roscoe,

I don't hate pits but it seems that every year a bunch of grandkids or neighbors get killed by these dogs. It just does not seem like a good idea to have one. You always see the people saying, "I can't believe my pit ate that kid, he's just a friendly dog, never would hurt a soul."

I really like rattlesnakes, but if I kept a couple and one bit my grandchld and he died, how could I live with myself?

Deeman
has a lab....sort of...

roscoe
04-16-2005, 11:56 AM
Carpel: Good with people and Gameness
Deeman: The wrong people get them and make them that way. Or, bad breeding. Historically, when dogfighters were basically the only people owning these they were better dogs. These dogs had to be handled in the pit by their owners. Any dog that was a 'biter' was put down and the genes were not continued through the line. These dogs should not bite people unless people make them that way. Actually, out of the hundreds of fighting dogs I came into contact with I only heard of one that was a people biter. That's the story....some may not like it...but there it is nevertheless.

By the way, how many kids are mauled by ________________ ?fill in the breed of your choice. You only hear about the pitbulls because they make good press.

I've only owned gamebred terriers: Irish, Jack Russell, pitbull. They are all basically the same. When I want to get a dog I go to the source for them....people who bred and use the dogs for the purpose intended.

Good breeding makes for good dogs....and racehorses.

Roscoe

Wally_in_Cincy
04-16-2005, 12:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote roscoe:</font><hr>

By the way, how many kids are mauled by ________________ ?fill in the breed of your choice. <hr /></blockquote>

English Springer Spaniels?

Labs?

Goldens?

Border Collies?

roscoe
04-16-2005, 12:34 PM
Obviously there are breeds of dogs that are low on the statistical bar. However, poodles, schnauzers, mini schnauzers, collies have been involved in biting incidents; not to mention dobes, rotts, and other large breeds.

Point is that I can take any breed of dog and make them into a people biter; yes, even a Lab. It's the owners and not the dogs.....period.

Roscoe

Voodoo Daddy
04-16-2005, 01:01 PM
My granfather had Pit Bull's or American Staffordshire's since he landed in America in the late 20's...he swore they were the best pet and gaurdian anyone could ask for. I owned them until my county required a 1M insurance policy &lt;part of your homeowners&gt; to own one within the county lines. There are no bad dogs...just bad owners. I'll try to get the one photo of me and Buster, my grandfathers last Pit circa 1972 scanned to post!!

heater451
04-16-2005, 05:07 PM
I've gone back and found the forum that "the Truth" link came from.

Before this becomes another argument thread, read this:

Nugeboard (http://nugeboard.tednugent.com/ubb/Forum1/HTML/213718.html)

It's several pages long, and you will see the same opinions and personalities exhibited on every forum--natch, EVERYWHERE. . . .

The purpose of me linking the movie in the first place, was more to show that many of the dogs which wind up attacking people, may have learned that humans are not the loving and caring creatures that other dogs have. Hmmmmm, maybe we should ban and/or euthanize persons who commit violence to other people.. . .oh, wait. . .humans have "rights". I guess dogs just need better lawyers.

Oh, and even if you wanted to believe that the Bible says that God gave Adam power over the animals, I'm sure that God did not intend that Adam/man should mistreat any animal, for the sake of mistreatment---weren't consumption and burnt offerings the 'approved' uses for animals. . . .then again, I think animal sacrifices were considered unnecessary later--my Bible-study is pretty weak.

Another apology, for the leap to religion there, but thought just popped into my head.

==============================

Gayle in MD
04-17-2005, 06:51 AM
Anyone who hurts an animal should be prosecuted. Anyone who owns a dog, any dog, should be absolutely sure that it does not run free around others, and particularly when they own more than one. Anyone whose dog bites or attacks a human, should be prosecuted to the fullest extent, including the death penalty if their dog kills someone.
Unfortunately, many dog owners are as irresponsible as many parents seem to be these days.
Too many people confine large dogs in small spaces. They are not meant to live that way, IMO. Too bad that the dog pays the price for poor handling by the owner when something goes wrong.
Gayle in Md.

PQQLK9
04-17-2005, 09:05 AM
Family And Friends Remember Boy Killed By Pit Bulls One Year Ago

POSTED: 1:58 p.m. EDT April 16, 2005

CHARLOTTE, NC -- 8-year-old Roddie Dumas Jr. was killed by his father's pitt bulls one year ago today. At 12:35 Saturday, the time the boy was pronounced dead, family and friends released balloons in his honor.

His mother, Tamika Brown says she let her son go to his Grandmother's home without realizing his father had moved into that West Charlotte home with his four pit bulls.

Police say Roddie Dumas Sr. was at home during the attack but he did not come outside.

He is in jail on drug and weapons charges. He has also been charged with manslaughter.

Brown says she is now on a crusade against dangerous dogs. She is lobbying for tougher laws against pit bulls in Charlotte

Wally_in_Cincy
04-17-2005, 09:27 AM
When an 11-year-old boy watched Emma, his little Jack Russell terrier, dart into a neighbor's yard and get attacked by the man's pit bull-mix pet, the boy jumped between the dogs to save her.

The bigger dog, named Spike, bit his arms, chest, stomach and legs, police said. At one point, there was a tug-of-war struggle with Emma's neck in Spike's mouth and the boy holding onto Emma's legs, police said.

Jim DeStephano, the Kinnelon animal control officer, said he would not be issuing any tickets or taking any other action because the incident was a provoked attack.
"The pit was in a cage in its yard," DeStephano said. "The other dog was loose and ran into the yard."

http://www.nj.com/news/ledger/jersey/index.ssf?/base/news-9/11136270196490.xml

Questions linger after deadly pit bull attack
By Associated Press
Friday, April 15, 2005 - Updated: 06:53 AM EST

PARTLOW, Va. - Dorothy Sullivan had been looking forward to St. Patrick's Day. The 82-year-old widow planned to whip up her family's favorite Irish soda bread, and her daughter made a festive green shirt decorated with shamrocks and a pot of gold for Sullivan's little dog, Buttons.

But the celebration never happened.

Three days before the holiday, Sullivan and Buttons, a Shih Tzu, were buried together in the same casket after they were mauled by three roaming pit bulls while Sullivan was out for a walk in her front yard.

http://news.bostonherald.com/national/view.bg?articleid=78635

Wednesday, April 13, 2005
The owner of two pit bulls that mauled an 11-year-old boy near his Concord home has been charged in the attack.

On March 29, Bray's dogs chewed the arms and legs of JaQuan Rice Jr. as he walked near Pear Drive and Plum Lane. Neighbors rushed to his rescue, with one firing a handgun to scare the dogs away, Concord police said. JaQuan is recovering.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/c/a/2005/04/13/BAG2FC6P1V1.DTL&amp;type=printable

4/17/2005 10:12 AM MDT

GREELEY - Mike McAughey has been using a wheelchair ever since he was paralyzed in a construction accident 18 years ago. But he stays active and fit. His upper body strength may have saved his life when he was attacked by two pit bulls Thursday.

McAughey says the two pit bulls broke through a fence around his neighbor's yard and came after him. He retreated into his garage, but they kept coming.

<font color="blue">This is all within the last week and there is a lot more </font color>

cheesemouse
04-17-2005, 10:08 AM
One of my best friends is a Vet with 50 years experience and his opinion of pit bulls is that the breed has been so polluted and inbreed that they should be gathered up and eliminated. He and his assistants in his clinic have special harnesses they put pitbulls in even for simple examinations. Good dogs, bad owners, or whatever these dogs are time bombs....

heater451
04-17-2005, 06:36 PM
I suppose that we should wipe out all mastiff/molosser breeds as well, since APBTs are also victims of mistaken identity:

Pick the Pitbull (http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html)

BTW, Wally--notice in the stories that you have quoted, how one involved a dog on a chain, and another involved free-running dogs. I'm also of the mind that **most** people who keep multiple dogs, do not spend the right amount of time socializing the dogs individually. I just bring it up, in that I would still suspect many of these as being cases of "bad owner".

I trust my own dog a lot, with the only wariness stemming from the fact that I got her at a year and a half, so I don't know her previous up-bringing.

However, there was one night that a group of kids next-door were playing outside, and one of them--I think he was 4 or 5--mistakenly came into our house. I had the other dog out on a walk, and had left the front door unlocked. My wife was in the office, when the kid came in and found himself face to face with my dog (69 lbs,). For some reason, he ran passed her into the house. He must have figured out that he was in the wrong house then, because he then ran back to the front door, screaming all the way. At this point, my wife realized that the door opening hadn't been my return. She came out of the office, in time to see the little kid run out the door and down the front steps, with the dog behind him--he had left the door open. And, as he cleared the driveway, all the other kids started screaming and jumped into the back of the neighbor's truck. The dog stopped, everyone stopped screaming, and my wife simply called the dog back to the house. She (the dog) had thought they were playing. (BTW, if she had wanted to take the kid down, there was plenty of time for her to do it.) The kid was still scared to death, but none of the other kids or parents were alarmed, after they realized that the dog wasn't going to attack anyone.

Anyway, I still wouldn't let the dog run free with a bunch of kids outside.

This also makes me think about something that I believe most dog-breeders and trainers would disagree with: I let puppies bite, when I play with them. "Experts" say that this teaches them to bite, but I say it teaches them how to not bite hard. That is, I stop the pup when it bites too hard, and it eventually learns to mediate it's bite-strength. This emulates puppies playing in a group, and yelping, when a bite is painful. The thing is, many dogs nowadays do not have that opportunity to learn this, as litters are often broken up and sold, before any of this type of play happens. It took a few months to get my dog to learn, since she was already much older, and didn't realize that she bit hard sometimes--luckily, I have a high pain threshold. She also had to learn how to calm down immediately, when she started getting (in my opinion) too excited. Pitbulls in particular should also learn the "release" command, period.

To make a long post even longer, the dog also somehow learned that I was the only one acceptable to play-bite. She never tries to bite my wife.

To bring this together, I wouldn't want a powerful dog playing so rough with a child. I'm also not saying that any of the attacks were "play gone wrong", but it's something else to think about.

============================

cheesemouse
04-18-2005, 05:26 AM
heater,

I suppose the statistics game could be played to show that 'pits' are as kind as bunny rabbits but if you subscribe to the idea that perseption is reality than it is obvious where the pit stands. If you have this breeed and something happens where you end up defending your nice pit in a court of law you tell me the outcome. It's your choice but you pay in the end.

CarolNYC
04-18-2005, 05:53 AM
Hey heater,
How are you?
I didnt look at the video-I will only imagine!
I know, the dogs "I" raise, will be loving,loyal and obedient-as for anyone else, who knows!
Puppies are like kids, raise them to hate and they'll hate!
To focus on the breed is wrong-its NOT the breed, its the people-you can post a million facts about dogs killing someone,mauling them to death, well, what happened to the owners? Slap on the wrist, dead dog and they just go out and get another!
If any of my dogs ever bit my child or another-I'd put him down myself!!In a heartbeat!
There should be stricter laws on the PEOPLE who own the pits,not the pits themselves-and people who own guns and tigers,lions and bears!Oh my!

Carol~raised two pits with 3 small children,never had a problem! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-18-2005, 06:18 AM
In America, the Pit Bull flourished. It was one of the most popular breeds, highly prized by a wide variety of people. The Pit Bull was used to represent the US in WW1 artwork; popular companies like RCA and the Buster Brown Shoe Company used the breed as their mascots. A Pit Bull named Petie starred in the popular children's television series, Our Gang; a Pit Bull mix named Stubby became a decorated WW1 hero. Pit Bulls accompanied pioneer familes on their explorations. Laura Ingalls Wilder of the popular Little House books owned a working Pit Bulldog named Jack. Famous individuals like Theodore Roosevelt and Helen Keller owned the breed. It was during this time that the Pit Bull truly became America?s sweetheart breed, admired, respected and loved.

Qtec
04-18-2005, 07:24 AM
There are many breeds of dog to choose from, so why a pitbull, ie a dog that is bred to kill other dogs.
They are not pets- they were never meant to be pets. A pitbull, more than any other dog, is a loose cannon. they may be fine with their owners but they are not sociale to others or their pets.

If you want a good guard dog thats trainable and RELIABLE, get yourself a Bouvier.

Q...loves dogs....hates pitbulls.

wolfdancer
04-18-2005, 08:14 AM
" get yourself a Bouvier"
Didn't Pres. Kennedy have one of them?

wolfdancer
04-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Ain't you a little young to know about the Buster Brown logo dog?
Their ad jingle went something like this (Buster Brown was depicted as a young kid)
"I'm buster Brown
I live in a shoe
That's my dog Tige
He lives in there too"
Buster Brown shoes sponsored a radio show "Andy's Gang"
When the Old guy on the show said
"Plunk your magic twanger, froggy" the frog gremlin would appear.
I think my mom caught me doing that once, as a teen, and said I could go crazy if I didn't stop...
(I just verified all this with google..., not the part 'bout my mom...I had the dog as Tide though)

Wait, I think I'm too young also, to know about that.

Gayle in MD
04-18-2005, 08:32 AM
"Plunk your magic plunker froggie!"
Midnight, the black cat says..."Nice"

What was the elephant boys name? Starts with an "R"... Raulou?

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
04-18-2005, 08:52 AM
Was there an elephant boy on that show? I just posted something on the thread here....and then read yours....and you remembered "plunk your...." also.....or looked it up???
Sabu was the original elephant boy, grew up, changed his name, and became john Merrick, the elephant man, I think.

Gayle in MD
04-18-2005, 09:07 AM
Hey Carol,
I'm sure you probably know a lot more about dogs than I do, but, I'm one of those people who is really afraid of big dogs. I had several encounters with big dogs when I was growing up, and to this day, I am afraid of them. When it comes to little kids, I don't trust anything that has teeth and is unpredictable. Dogs, IMHO, are unpredictable, especailly when there is more than one. Unfortunately, we live in a society these days that seems rampant with personal irresponsibility. I don't think people should be allowed to keep these kinds of dogs unless they live in rural areas, and they keep them in a very high, fensed in area where they can't get out.

When my daughter bought her new home three years ago, one of the neighbors had three pit bulls. They live in a rural area, in a subdivision where most of the homes are on one to three acres. The whole neighborhood was hostage due to these dogs. They had an electrified fense, but those dogs could still get out. They attacked and killed two smaller dogs, and it was later discovered that they had also attacked animals in the neighborhood where they lived before moving there.

I worried myself to death about my little grand daughter, eventho my daughter and son-in-law are the most careful parents you could find. I can't tell you how relieved I was when those people moved out, partly because the other neighbors wouldn't have anything to do with them.

When I encounter owners with big dogs out in public, and they can see that I am afraid of their dog, and they invariably will say,"Oh, he won't hurt you" and I think, "Yeah, right! How the hell do you know," ya know?

There are two things in our society for which I think we need much stronger laws.... dogs and sexual preditors, both should be either locked up for life, or put to death as far as I am concerned. I only feel sorry for the dogs, they are killed when they attack, and it's usually the owners fault, while we let these pedafiles out to attack again, over and over, until they finally kill some innocent child.

You read and hear all the hoopla about second hand smoke, and all the laws and regulations about that, when the fact is that it has never been proven that second hand smoke really hurts anyone, but yet we allow people to be killed by these dogs, and also sexual predators, who are killing everyday, and we don't change the laws for that?

The older I get, the more ****** up it seems to me.

Gayle in Md.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

catscradle
04-18-2005, 09:45 AM
Personally, I'll take a good old mutt any day, it's got to have short hair though. Most incredible dog my family every owned (Bruno) was a mutt whose pedigreed boxer mother got mixed up with so wondering minstrel.

roscoe
04-18-2005, 10:24 AM
http://www.priveye.com/images/Froggie.jpg

Gayle in MD
04-18-2005, 01:51 PM
LMAO!

Wasn't the name of that show The Buster Brown Show? It came on every saturday morning when I was a kid. Sabu? Was that his name? Sounds right. He wore a white turban, rode around on an elephant, right? What was the name of the old guy on that show? Grandfatherly type?

"I'm Buster Brown,
I live in a shoe,
Here's my dog Tie,
Look for him in there too."

"Plunk your magic plunker Froggie" I still say that when I get frustrated with something, LOL, my Grand-daughter thinks it's so funny.

I thought the dogs name was Tie....

John Merrick, LOL... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
04-18-2005, 03:19 PM
you can google "plunk....." and get the jingle...and I do remember it as the BB show, not Andy's Gang.
Part of my mispent youth.

CarolNYC
04-18-2005, 04:25 PM
Hey Gayle,
[ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you probably know a lot more about dogs than I do, but, I'm one of those people who is really afraid of big dogs. I had several encounters with big dogs when I was growing up, and to this day, I am afraid <hr /></blockquote>
No, but I know about MY dogs-and having unpleasant encounters is understandable of why you dislike them /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
could still get out. They attacked and killed two smaller dogs <hr /></blockquote>
Did anything happen to the owners?

[ QUOTE ]
feel sorry for the dogs, they are killed when they attack <hr /></blockquote>
I have no compassion for a dog that attacks-just wish the ones who trained it to behave like that were prosecuted!

[ QUOTE ]
but yet we allow people to be killed by these dogs <hr /></blockquote>
No, we allow owners to train them to kill and to use them as weapons and a "get out of jail free" card-"oops, my dog killed someone,okay,kill my dog! I'll just get another"
People die from gunshot wounds everyday, but that wont stop you from buying one, will it?

Carol

CarolNYC
04-18-2005, 04:36 PM
Hi "Q",
[ QUOTE ]
you want a good guard dog <hr /></blockquote>
There it is-I didnt want a guard dog-and I didnt get a guard dog-I got two pitbulls and brought them up with love and kindness -with that, they were the most,loving,loyal and smartest dogs I've ever owned!
Ninja-110 lbs. pure muscle-DEAF-would obey a hand command in a split second!
Zeus-70 lb. brindle-locked in cage size of a birdcage for 7 months-he was human-I spoke to him like a human /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I knew the strength and power of these dogs and I took the responsibility AS AN OWNER to make sure I could control these, or anyother animal I owned ,on command-if not, I shouldnt own it-and that goes for any kind of dog-

My sisterinlaw has this chihuahua-oh boy, I'd like to "put'em in the bathroom" what a little wacko-and Im afraid it-it'll bite!

I just believe its the way you raise them-
And all owners should be responsible for the actions of their dogs!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

CarolNYC
04-18-2005, 04:43 PM
Cm'on now,Wolfdancer,
Flattery just gets you everywhere,huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Buster Brown-of course I know BusterBrown and also,I had red PF flyers that made me "run faster and jump higher" /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Did you know the BF Goodrich made PF flyers and PF stood for "posture foundation" and later on ,Converse bought it?????Now its "new balance"!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

heater451
04-22-2005, 05:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> heater,

I suppose the statistics game could be played to show that 'pits' are as kind as bunny rabbits but if you subscribe to the idea that perseption is reality than it is obvious where the pit stands. If you have this breeed and something happens where you end up defending your nice pit in a court of law you tell me the outcome. It's your choice but you pay in the end. <hr /></blockquote>I try to avoid statistics, they can be bent in any direction.

Perception may be reality, but then again, there are many different perceptions, hence many different realities.

I would never expect to be in a court of law, due to the dog. It's called "responsibilty". As for "what ifs", well, that and $2.50 will get you a misto at Starbucks. . . .

==============================

heater451
04-22-2005, 05:45 PM
hey, Carol!

I wondered when you would chime in on this. I'm doing good, although life could always be better (or worse, for that matter).

I was just hoping that people could take another viewpoint why some pitbulls may not be friendly, but I should have realized that it would cause the same arguments as always.

Your points were excellent, btw, in that you defend what you **know**--and you managed to do it in efficient little sentences. (Much unlike, me--verbose as a lifestyle.) --I know that last bit is worded strangely, but I hope it makes sense.

How's things your way?

================================

ras314
04-22-2005, 06:06 PM
Hi Carol,

Just about any chihuahua WILL bite, especially from behind. Thank goodness their mouth is too small to grab onto anything much bigger than a toe.

Worst dog I've ever been around was a pettigred german shepard. It would act normally friendly in front of you and then bite without warning if you turned your back. Belonged to a friend who finally had to "put the dog down" when it bit a child.

I can't imagine any pit acting like that. Nor would I want one for a guard dog, they don't seem to bark much. Problem is when one does attack it is liable to ignore absolutly anything except its opponet. At least the "real" pits I've been around. Try getting one off a bear in the middle of the night sometime.

CarolNYC
04-23-2005, 03:05 AM
Hi Heater,
Glad your doing good-it seems like only yesterday we were playing in beautiful Georgia :grin
[ QUOTE ]
I was just hoping that people could take another viewpoint why some pitbulls may not be friendly <hr /></blockquote>

Ha Ha Ha-good try,good try! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Its so funny that you brought this topic up, cause, when my daughter was 1 years old (shes now 16), there was a big snowstorm, so I harnessed Ninja (the deaf one) up to a sled and pulled my daughter throught the snow-well, the local newspaper seemed to be travelling through the area and snapped the picture-I was looking for it for awhile and after you posted this, sitting right on the mantle piece was the article-unbelievable! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I'll try and get my daughter to scan it and post it-its a good photo /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I just hope people understand that pitbull PUPPIES are not BORN with a maim,kill,destroy instinct-there raised that way!

Oh, by the way, I LIKE verbose!
Hope to see ya soon, Heater!
Take care!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
04-23-2005, 03:20 AM
Hey Ras,
[ QUOTE ]
Just about any chihuahua WILL bite, especially from behind. Thank goodness their mouth is too small to grab onto anything much bigger than a toe. <hr /></blockquote>

LMAO-oh my goodness, Im telling ya,I walk in my brothers house and Im ascared,ha ha ha-the reason this dog is like this ,is because it was like, a pocketbook dog, my sister-in-law never let it interact with people,carried it everywhere,etc....and son, so everything and anything is a threat!

[ QUOTE ]
Belonged to a friend who finally had to "put the dog down" when it bit a child.
<hr /></blockquote>
He did the right thing! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Problem is when one does attack it is liable to ignore absolutly anything except its opponet <hr /></blockquote>
Its sad,Ras,because their jaws are so powerful, they CRUSH on impact! And there lies the owners rsponsibility to control their dog /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Try getting one off a bear in the middle of the night sometime <hr /></blockquote>
Well, if I see a bear in NYC, I'll let you know,ha ha ha!

I have family in Maui,Hawaii, what we call upcountry, and my Uncle hunts wild boar with his pits,oh my goodness,they can take a boar down in one minute-God help anyone who owns a pit that attacks a person! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Take care!
Carol

roscoe
04-23-2005, 05:28 AM
I was cleaning out a drawer and came across a letter dated 25 June 1975.
Back then I used to make collars/leads/harnesses/treadmill harnesses and stuff just for pit dogs.

The letter is from a great guy named A.D. Castelli of South Florida. AD had
a house dog named "Savage Captain Bob", a red nose of about 85 lbs. I used
to make and repair 'Hog' collars (Catch Collars) for AD as he and "Bob"
would tangle
with wild boar now and then. Bob was a house dog and raised with three kids. He would never hurt anyone on two legs....well there was that burgler incident; but that's another story. Well, here goes:

Dear Bob, (That's me)

Your "Max" is one fine dog. I am interested in that fighting harness you
have on him. How would that work keeping a hog from cutting a dog? I am
sending you under seperate cover a catch collar that we use to protect our
dogs throat. Hoping you can repair it.

It needs a new strap. I like two straps instead of one but the guy I had
make it only put one on it. It slides around a lot.

About two weeks ago "Bob" was cut up so bad by a Russian Boar that we almost
lost him. We were hunting at night when its coolest. And to make a long
story short "Bob" jumped a 360 lb Russian and they were fighting a long
time, too long because "Bob" won't quit and he didn't have any help. He was
slowly bleeding out. It took 318 stitches to sew his throat, chin and
inside his mouth. You could have stuck a beer can thru his chin into his
mouth!. He was holding the boar by his tusk when we got there. It was the
only wway. That hog didn't squeal once; not even when I shot him in the
spine to break his back. It was the quietest fight I ever witnessed.
Neither one trying to run. "Bob" was shakin him like a gator and so was the
boar. Both game as hell.

I think I am going to retire "Bob" from hunting as he's just been cut up too
much lately and I am afraid he'll get killed.

Your friend,
A.D. Castelli

Roscoe

CarolNYC
04-23-2005, 06:47 AM
Hi Roscoe,

[ QUOTE ]
Back then I used to make collars/leads/harnesses/treadmill harnesses and stuff just for pit dogs <hr /></blockquote>
Wow-by the way, I like that 70's picture /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif-nice looking dog /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif,oh, and you aint too bad yourself /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

[ QUOTE ]
to make and repair 'Hog' collars (Catch Collars)
<hr /></blockquote>
I never seen one /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Bob" jumped a 360 lb Russian and they were fighting a long
time, too long because "Bob" won't quit and he didn't have any help <hr /></blockquote>
Oh my goodness-Bobs lucky he lived! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
he's just been cut up too
much lately and I am afraid he'll get killed.
<hr /></blockquote>

My uncle had 4 dogs that went hunting with him-to be honest with you, just visualizing the hunt, makes me feel sorry for the boar-one of his dogs did get "speared"by the tusk and had to be put down-I dont know....sometimes the strength of an animal may cause their demise,hopefully not!
People train their animals to do certain tasks, as for me, I just love animals-nothing like two pitbulls and a pug sharing your bed on a cold winters night /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gifoh yeah, and my husband /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Thanks for sharing the story!
Carol~turns the animal channel when a lion goes in for the kill!

DickLeonard
04-23-2005, 10:19 AM
Carol here is my Bear Story I am driving between Keene and Keene Valley, coming home from Lake Placid and there are two Bear Cubs running around in the open field. Two women stop their car and start running sfter the cubs.

I stopped my truck snd yelled to the Women, where do you think their Mother is. The look on their fsce wss priceless. ###

My key isn't working so I sm using the S Key.####