PDA

View Full Version : Any pool collectors out there?

06-06-2002, 10:15 AM
Ok, question. Do any of you collect non-equipment type (not cues or tables) pool memorabilia? If so, what do you own? Here are some of the favorites that I own:

1. First edition book - "The Hustler" by Walter Tevis. Valued at over $600. Picked it up at a garage sale 11 years ago for $1.
2. Original "six-sheet" movie poster from "The Hustler". Valued at over $1200. Bought at a flea market for $250.
3. "Color of Money" script signed signed by Tom Cruise and Mary Elizabeth Mastrantonio (sp?). Value unknown - probably over $75.
4. Probably my favorite autographs - both on cueballs - World Champions Jimmy Caras and Willie Mosconi.
5. Assorted other autographs including Sigel, Miz, Rempe, Hall, Strickland, Varner, Lee, Jones, Hopkins, Fats (a real one - not a stamp).
6. Not really a pool item, but another favorite - a W.C. Fields autograph.

So what do you guys have?

06-06-2002, 10:18 AM
I got nothing

Patrick
06-06-2002, 10:25 AM
I have Patrick's limited edition collectable autograph cards.

http://vp3.0catch.com/autograph.htm

06-06-2002, 11:49 AM
If I ever win the lottery theres a cue for sale online that I will buy.

It is a Rambow cue commissioned by Willie Mosconi. Mosconi presented it to Jackie Gleason (Minnesota Fats) after they completed "The Hustler". Price: $40,000.00

Misel
06-06-2002, 12:16 PM
My favorite is without a doubt a framed picture of my idol Willie Mosconi with his signature which was given to me by his sweet wife Mrs.Flora Mosconi with a dedication to me.I got it when i visited her in 1997.

Misel

Q-guy
06-06-2002, 12:30 PM
How do you determine the prices?

06-06-2002, 12:43 PM
Probably the price of the highest bidder :-)
I wouldnt give anything for that 40000$ cue, id rather buy a new cue.

06-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Prices...

Those are just very conservative estimates based on what I have seen things sell for. I have seen a Hustler six-sheet poster go for over 3K, but it was in better condition than mine. I have also seen a hardcover first edition copy of "They Hustler" go for over 700 on ebay.

The movie script and other autographs I just look in the price guide.

I don't collect for the monetary value though. I just put those in to brag about finding such good deals!!

MikeM
06-06-2002, 01:13 PM
A must for the true collector!!!!!!!!

MM

bigalerickson
06-06-2002, 01:20 PM
Wow, a Patrick signed card. How much is it? I really want my new pool god's autograph.

BigAl - is searching for a Mosconi autograph

Q-guy
06-06-2002, 01:24 PM
As they say, "One mans junk." I used to have a hard cover copy of the hustler I had signed by Mr. Tevis. It used to lay around the poolroom and people would borrow it to read. Finely never got returned. A few years ago I sold an old Burton Spain brochure on ebay. It went for $275.00. Go figure. I have a lot of Mosconi autographs, maybe a few dozen. I would get him to sign stuff every time I saw him. I have a couple of Balabushka cues. One I paid $100.00 for and another I traded a Szamboit for, (He was still alive). I have a Rambo in not so good shape. I have hundreds of autographs from over thirty years of collecting. I started doing it when I saw Steve Cook ask Lassiter for an autograph. A lot of players collect stuff. Danny D. had, may still have, a huge collection of interesting stuff.

06-06-2002, 01:51 PM
Wow!! Do you realize what that autographed copy of the Hustler would be worth today? At least a couple grand.

Not to mention the Balabushkas...I assume they're probably worth 5-20k apiece.

Q-guy
06-06-2002, 02:22 PM
True, but who knew. I wish I had all the Balabushkas, and Szamboti's I have owned over the years. Szamboti made me a cue that was maybe the most elaborate cue he ever made. It was sort of a copy a Gina with four long and four short points, with ivory gambling symbols inlayed in it, and an ivory joint. There is a mention of the cue in the text about Gus Szamboti in the Billiard Encyclopedia on page 336. They refer to it as having dice and playing card symbols but it was way more then that. Gus worked from square blocks when he glued up his points. To do an eight point cue he had to do it differently. When he called me to tell me the cue was ready, he told me he almost quit on the cue because he did not like the way it was coming out. He wanted all the points perfect and the eight points were giving him a problem. To the best of my knowledge he never built any other eight point cues. The cue today would be priceless. Now the bad news. I smashed the cue in a fit of rage. I was so glad he never found out about it. I talked to him off and on till he died and he always talked about that cue.

Barbara
06-06-2002, 07:29 PM
Yes, Gus built other 8-point cues. In fact, he made one truly gorgeous one that have the four veneers over each point. I asked Barry how the heck he did that and Barry told me it was a major headache and that he never made another like it. I even got to hold it when it came back to Barry for some repair or refinish, I don't remember. What a beauty!!

I would give up my dream of owning a 2 1/2 carat marquise-cut canary yellow diamond (set in platinum, of course), if Barry would make me a cue like that!! And the veneers would be black-red-black-white over ebony with abalone notched diamonds in the points - small and large, depending on the point length.

Barry? You lurking out there??? ( hint, hint, hint /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif )

And then the butt decorations... hmmm... have to let Barry guide me on that one!

And stitching all around!! A nice wood/red/wood (you know what I like, Guy) bushka ring with an ivory joint and ferrule, too.

Barbara~~~the song "California Dreamin' comes to mind... on the cue AND the diamond ring!!

06-06-2002, 09:59 PM
hmmmm.........butt decorations.....

I see a joke in there somewhere, lol.

Paul_Mon
06-07-2002, 04:49 AM
I've got a copy of "Winning 1 Pocket" with about 30 auotographs by the people noted in it. A few photos of me with pool celebrities, favorites are Irving Crane, Boston Shorty and Fran. Also have some interesting postcards from the turn of the century that advertise pool and billiard products. A few years ago I purchased billiard/pool themed postage stamps from around the world and after enlarging them made some neat collages. One of my good friends (and former pool hall owner) gave me the glass back off of a pin ball machine that had a pool theme.

Paul Mon

Tom_In_Cincy
06-07-2002, 05:14 PM
I have a Meucci Original cue case(circa 1984 1x2)suede with tube locking sytem. Its autographed by Buddy Hall, Earl Strickland, David Howard, Steve Mizerik, Nick Varner, Mike Sigel, Jim Rempe and Kim Davenport. Inside the case is a 1986 Road Agent with two shafts custom made to my specs.