PDA

View Full Version : anyone use sniper tips?

c.holtz009
04-17-2005, 07:08 AM
I decided to get a sniper tip to give it a try. It seems really good, has a nice feel to it, delivers english well to the cue ball, and NO DELAMINATION unlike another brand of layered tip I had been using...

Anyone else try or use them?

catscradle
04-18-2005, 03:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote c.holtz009:</font><hr> I decided to get a sniper tip to give it a try. It seems really good, has a nice feel to it, delivers english well to the cue ball, and NO DELAMINATION unlike another brand of layered tip I had been using...

Anyone else try or use them? <hr /></blockquote>

I've used them and liked them, but mine did de-lam. Then the guy who does my tips stopped using them.

Cane
04-18-2005, 10:48 AM
I tried one and had the same problem with it delaminating. Went right back to the Moori III. Since I only tried one Sniper, maybe I didn't give it a fair shake, but when that one delaminated, I didn't want to take a chance that it was a trait that would show up in the middle of a match.

Later,
Bob

cycopath
04-18-2005, 12:37 PM
I've used Sniper tips two diffrent times with no problems.
My brother has also used Sniper tips two different times without any issues.

My only complaint with the Sniper is the sides don't burnish really nice like a Moori.

nAz
04-18-2005, 01:07 PM
great tip IMO, have not had a singe problem with one yet. also they last a good long time, so far it has been a year since i had one on with no mushrooming.

Cane
04-18-2005, 02:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr> great tip IMO, have not had a singe problem with one yet. also they last a good long time, so far it has been a year since i had one on with no mushrooming. <hr /></blockquote>

nAz, Like I said, I probably didn't give them a fair shake, but I really don't have the oppurtunity to give them a fair shake, except in practice. While I practice as much as I can, between league, matches and tournaments, I'm now playing at least 20 hours a week, sometimes more, of competitive play. I trust that your assessment of the Sniper is correct, and I probably just got a bad one, but I couldn't afford to take the chance of getting another bad one. Since I have an ample supply of Moori III's, I just went back to those.

Later,
Bob

BlindPlayer
04-18-2005, 03:53 PM
Cane;

I've never tried but want to try a Moori III. What density works best for you? Hard? Medium? etc.

Cane
04-18-2005, 04:02 PM
BP, I use the hard right now, and have great luck with them. Most people don't really like the hard and go to medium. I started with Medium's when I first started using Moori's and was completely satisfied with their performance. I just prefer a harder tip. No problem with miscues... tips don't miscue, strokes do... I can shoot 3 tips outside or inside with the hard tips or medium tips. Only time I miscue is when I get out of my preshot and shooting routines and am just plain not paying attention.

As far as how they hold up, I've been playing with these two tips since sometime between May and June of last year, I think. They still hit just like they did when I put them on and unless something else happens to them, there is enough of the tip material there to last another year.

Later,
Bob

Keith Talent
04-18-2005, 07:41 PM
I've had Snipers on two shafts since the fall and no trouble so far. No mushrooming or delaming, but I have had some miscuing headaches when I've let them flatten out, but probably also could blame backsliding into some bad habits. I'm not 100% sold on them, and may experiment with some other tips, but I think I like them better than the Triangles I was using. Can't say exactly why, but the hit seems a shade cleaner and truer ...

Nick B
04-19-2005, 08:29 PM
The reality is that all tips flatten and mushroom..these more than Morri's. This tends to make them thinner...quicker and then eventually on the hard side from it's original "soft-side" type hit. Morri's and other quality tips play more consistent over duration of life.

Nick

caedos
04-19-2005, 10:00 PM
I played with Sniper tips for a couple of years with no problems. They seem to me like a laminated Triangle. I loved them, but I have since change tips for no reason other than curiosity. I've had good luck with everything I've used except Talisman, which has been good except for an occasional delamination.

c