PDA

View Full Version : Computer question

Popcorn
04-18-2005, 10:45 AM
I was wondering what would be the minimum equipment I would need to do the sort of short videos like christopheradams does on his web site. I want to be able to do maybe one minute pieces. I am having a computer put together this week and I may want to change what I was going to get because I have this new interest. I was going to build one myself but the reality is I will never get around to doing it. I'm Looking out the window now at a pile of parts to build a carport I bought two weeks ago I haven't got around to you. They are next to like 20 boxes of tile to redo a couple of bathrooms I can't seem to get done either. I think I need a reality check as to what I can do without hiring someone. Thanks in advance.

SPetty
04-18-2005, 10:58 AM
Don't forget to post this on all the pool forums! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

just kidding.

nAz
04-18-2005, 01:00 PM
I'd like to see some of your pool videos... also of you building up that car port. lol

I think you will need a good video capture card as well as half of gig of ram mem, 1 gig would be better. and maybe 80 gigs of hard drive space to go along with a p4 computer. Basically a new computer with a semi high end video card /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

check out this site for making videos and what you would need:
http://www.aboutvideoediting.com/articles/web-streaming-video.shtml

SpiderMan
04-18-2005, 02:04 PM
Expanding on what Naz said - you may have a choice between getting a fancy video card or just a $10 firewire card.

If you already have a digital camcorder, use this to record video onto tape, and you won't even need to buy a special video card. All you'll need to transfer taped video to your computer for editing and rendering is a firewire connection. Most digital camcorders use firewire as the interface for video transfer.

If you don't have a DV camcorder, and plan to instead use a (non-recording) camera to feed live video into the computer, then you do need a good video card for the real-time capture. But buying these two items may cost more than a camcorder, so I wouldn't go that route unless I wanted the video card anyway for intensive game-playing. In my opinion, the camcorder option is far more versatile.

You will, of course, need editing software such as Pinnacle, but that's true regardless of how you capture the raw video.

I recently configured a computer for video editing and general usage. Rather than have it built or build it myself, I chose to watch the Dell site for the outrageous deals they run from time to time. I picked up a hyperthreading Pentium-4 with a half-gig of ram, 5.1 sound, 160-GB SATA drive, and a Dell ultrasharp 17-inch LCD monitor for $549 with free shipping. A $10 firewire card from Fry's is all I needed to complete my hardware for video editing.

I chose to configure my system from a commercial source like Dell so that I would be assured of only getting components that have been tested to work well together. If you let someone build you a system using components from here and there, you run the risk of seeing compatibility issues that the builder did not anticipate, since he probably hasn't made a bunch of systems (and maybe none exactly identical to yours). Since you don't live in Texas, you won't be charged sales tax on Dell purchases, either.

This is not an ad for Dell, but I'm cheap and they run great monthly specials. Just watch the online deal sites such as slickdeals.net or fatwallet.com, and be ready to jump on it when you get the chance. Most of the deals expire after a few thousand purchases, so it generally only lasts a few days.

SpiderMan

heater451
04-22-2005, 05:17 PM
If you don't have a firewire-capable camcorder, a "breakout box" will let you import video through S-video, and/or RCA/component video. There are several types on the market. Dazzle is the quickest to leap to mind, but if you research it, you will find some people have no trouble, and others have major issues with making it work.

Most breakout boxes come with "non-linear editor" (NLE) software as well, which again, some people like, and some people hate.

Or you could go with a video capture card, which doesn't have to be as "high-end" as you think. The ATI "All-in-Wonder" cards are good, but I will leave you to research the individual products.

When you start working with the software, you will have to learn about compression codecs, both for video and audio, although you can just try the presets in the software package too.

If you want to keep clips, you'll want a DVD-burner as well.

==========================