PDA

View Full Version : Scoreing with coins

Stretch
04-18-2005, 11:16 AM
Well it happened again. Had a match last night that was marred by a coin F&ck up. Round here if there's no black board we useally spot pennies on the middle head rail diamond and move them arround to keep score. Half way through there must have been another pennie wedged under the rail that had gone unnotice when we started. It worked it's way out and appeared one diamond up at 6-5 in a race to 9. Big "discussion" ensued. I mean it's hard enough to keep track of who's break it is (alternating break format) let alone keeping track of coins on the table. I lost that match (not blaming it on the foul up) just bitching about haveing to use coins to score a match in the first place. I've heard lots of stories about how some guys will double shift coins on ya when your not looking, or moveing the wrong guys coin and getting the score all messed up there, breaking out of rotation, you know all the fun stuff. And then i'm just to lazy to memorize all the diamonds so when a have to think of who's breaking the odd games i gotta count up all those friggin damonds lol what a pain in the A$$. Hey all you Pool accesory inventors. Make a portable chalk board so an old Coot like me can carrie it around andkeep the score for matches when the Hall dosn't have any. Bet you'd sell a ton....or at least one. St~~never a dull moment when i play ~~

PS came in 5th/6th in the Provincial championships. Tuff field of 39 qualifiers. Soooooo close, oh well, next year. Got some nice jingle in my pockets for concelation though haha. Twas a good day of pool.

Cane
04-18-2005, 11:31 AM
Stretch, Easy and cheap solution. Head to Wal Mart (or your area's version of Wal Mart). Go to the sporting goods area and get a dozen ping pong balls, two brass swivels and a spool of 20 pound test monofiliment fishing line. Drill little holes in the centers of the balls, string them on the line, tie them to the swivels and clip the swivels between the chains holding up the table lights. Instant cheap wire to keep score on. Win a game, move a ball to your end. Even for long races (rarely see a match or tourney that goes to more than 11 these days) you only need 21 ping pong balls for each table. Put an orange one in the middle, or even every 5th ball, to make it easier to see the score at a glance.

BTW, I hate pennies under the rail. I've never forgotten to move a ball on the wire, but have forgotten to move coin from time to time.

Later,
Bob

SpiderMan
04-18-2005, 12:00 PM
Scoring with beads on a wire has the same inherent issues as coins under the rail, ie mistakes and outright cheats. Also, I think players may be even more likely to forget which is their string than to forget which is their side of the table My Experience with Beads (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=ccb&Number=153370&Foru m=ccb&Words=spiderman%20high%20pockets%20tournamen t&Match=And&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Old=allposts&Mai n=152968&Search=true#Post153370)

SpiderMan

bustah360
04-18-2005, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Stretch, Easy and cheap solution. Head to Wal Mart (or your area's version of Wal Mart). Go to the sporting goods area and get a dozen ping pong balls, two brass swivels and a spool of 20 pound test monofiliment fishing line. Drill little holes in the centers of the balls, string them on the line, tie them to the swivels and clip the swivels between the chains holding up the table lights. Instant cheap wire to keep score on. Win a game, move a ball to your end. Even for long races (rarely see a match or tourney that goes to more than 11 these days) you only need 21 ping pong balls for each table. Put an orange one in the middle, or even every 5th ball, to make it easier to see the score at a glance.

BTW, I hate pennies under the rail. I've never forgotten to move a ball on the wire, but have forgotten to move coin from time to time.

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>
That may work if you own the place, but if you're a player in a tournament, no ones gonna allow you to do that. Especially if you switch tables from one match to the next. Accessory companies need to swing something that any player can just toss in his pool case pocket to where ever he shoots as if it were a tool.

Deeman2
04-18-2005, 12:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Scoring with beads on a wire has the same inherent issues as coins under the rail, ie mistakes and outright cheats. <font color="blue"> Good point, however, I have never gotten a ping pong ball lodged under a rail. I hate it when that happens. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif </font color> Also, I think players may be even more likely to forget which is their string than to forget which is their side of the table My Experience with Beads (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=ccb&amp;Number=153370&amp;Foru m=ccb&amp;Words=spiderman%20high%20pockets%20tournamen t&amp;Match=And&amp;Searchpage=0&amp;Limit=25&amp;Old=allposts&amp;Mai n=152968&amp;Search=true#Post153370)

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> As thick as I am, I have never forgotten the score or to move a marker. It's so ingrained in me that I look for the markers or coins when I'm just hitting them around with someone. Before I declair myself for sainthood, I have forgotten to pick up the wife after a couple of tournaments. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif</font color>

Deeman
wishes he could shoot like he can count...

Terry
04-19-2005, 06:14 AM
Hi Stretch, congratulations on a fine tournament. I would've loved to been there to defend my title but with Jessica getting more tournaments to play this year means old dad will have to wait before I get back to playing in the city. BTW she picked up her game the other week after you left, and she won the Atlantics. Terry

Stretch
04-19-2005, 07:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Terry:</font><hr> Hi Stretch, congratulations on a fine tournament. I would've loved to been there to defend my title but with Jessica getting more tournaments to play this year means old dad will have to wait before I get back to playing in the city. BTW she picked up her game the other week after you left, and she won the Atlantics. Terry <hr /></blockquote>

Hey congrats to Jessica!! Yes i saw her finish on the Cue Sport web page. She's on a great Roll! Had i known she was going all the way i would have cancelled my plans to watch her victory with ya. Glad i happened to drop in when i did and see her in action for that one match anyway. Boy does she have a bright future or what! You must be an awful proud Papa lol, you've done an amazing job with her.

Neil from Antigonish said there might be some tournaments up your way at Dooly's this summer. Give me a shout if anything happens up there. Good excuse to go camping and get in a tournament /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

Terry
04-19-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes Stretch, I am proud of her for sure. She lost in the finals of the junior division 9-8, she would've been the first girl to take the title from the boys. She was up 7-3 and didn't switch to defence on a couple of key shots that let her opponent back in the match, oh well I think she still has another three/four years in the junior division depending on if it is 18/19 yrs.old for the division.

I was talking to Dale and Graig about us holding some ranking tournaments in our area so some of us rural boys can get to play in the Provincials. Their are some good local shooters around that can't afford to travel to the city to get their qualifying tournaments in, hopefully we can hold the sanction tournaments and help make the Provincials bigger and better. And ofcourse I can't afford to take time of work to travel to the city for Jessica and myself, so i'll do it for her instead. Til we bump into each other again,Terry. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif