PDA

View Full Version : another tournament-nationals (VERY LONG)

marek
04-20-2005, 03:36 AM
Hi people!
I am bringing you another story of my tournaments. This time Czech nationals.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Best 16 players in 8ball and 9ball; best 8 players in 14.1) shortened double elimination with 2 players from winners side and 2 players from losers side playing semifinals, no bronze medal match (two bronze medailist); 8ball race to 8, 9ball race to 9, 14.1 race to 14.....no...100 /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

8ball
My first opponent was a player of the same age and experience as me so I expected a tough fight. And it was. We exchanged runouts and both came dry on breaks so it went close until 3:3 when he missed a semihard draw shot on a keyball. I ran out and fortunatelly my break started to work at that moment. So my opponent had another trip to the table at 7:3 which he capitalized on but again went dry on break which I used win that match 8:4. I was quite happy with my performance but I knew that my next opponent Lukas Krenek would be harder one. And I have to say he was. He kicked my a$$ 8:0. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif I had two scoring opportunities – at 0:0 and at 0:6...wasted them due to the nervosity... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif so I went to left side with one life left... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif And the opponent wasnt easy one, he is my old adversary with a looong history of close matches between us (we hold one record last season – 11 hill-hill matches in a row!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif). This match could be characterized as a one-sided as I won 8:4. My break was working, his not /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. That was the difference. I worked on my break shot routine quite hard last two seasons and it really pays off now. My next opponent was the one I am not very comfortable with as he beated me more than once this season. He is a very agressive player with pool gods on his side so you have to usually play againts two opponents at a time: him and his GOOD luck! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif This time I really concetrated well and smashed him 8:3. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Once again my good break paid off. Now I was standing just one victory from the semifinal and the medal as well. My opponent was quite a surprise. He can surelly play good pool but IMO he lacks the consistency to get this far. Well it showed in our match as he made some stupid mistakes which I punished with great pleasure...and I won 8:2. So I had the medal but I wanted more. Unfortunatelly I was starting getting tired as I struggled with my technique all the day so I had to concentrate 120% to make the balls. And my opponent was really a good one (which is quite strange in the semifinal of nationals /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif). I made two or three mistakes due to the lack of concentration at the start and he punished those mistakes...after 20 minutes I was trailing 0:5. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif At this moment he made a mistake of coming dry on the break and I told to myself I didnt want to end with another 0:8 loss. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif So I dug really deep and I managed to get back into this match. All of the sudden it was 5:5 with me breaking. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif This one was a chess game with several clusters to solve. I managed to solve my problems but again I was tired and my concentration was in question = I missed a very potable keyball /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif. But I left a very hard table for him with 3 clusters. Much to my surprise he managed to solve those problems and he ran out /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif. Unfortunatelly he ran out the next 2 games too... So I lost 5:8. But I won the bronze medal! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

9ball
On the very next day there were (or was – not sure which grammar is right /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif) the 9ball nationals. My first opponent was a strange one. He is very short-tempered and he gets angry quite easily so sometimes its not easy to hold your concentration againts him. This match was total disaster!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif Neither of us were able to run out or to string few balls together at least. He was nervous as hell and I was totally struggling with my technique (still those sleepless nights before competitions). The match was really close. Fortunatelly at 7:7 he made a stupid positional mistake so he had to play safety at 8. Miraculously I managed to pot a thin cutshot and made a comfortable position on 9 which I potted /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif. Somehow I managed to run out the last game from the break so I won 9:7. But the suffering!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif My next match was with 17 year old youngster who beated me twice in the season so I knew I had to play POOL instead of that sh.t I produced in the first match. Fortunatelly for me he was VERY nervous. So I capitalized on his two big mistakes which game me a good start. I was leading 3:1 but then I made a mistake too and he equalized 3:3. He broke the rack but nothing went in. Fortunatelly enough I had the position to run that rack. So I did /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif. And I played and he watched...after a while I broke and went dry..I looked at the scoreboard and it was 8:3! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif The funny thing is I dont remeber almost anything from those 10 minutes... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif well he ran that rack to make it 8:4 but it was all he got as he went dry on the break again and I ran out. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Once again I stood just one match from the semifinal and a medal. But I knew it wouldnt be easy as my opponent was the same who beated me the day before in the semifinal. And it proved I was right. He played great and I got totally unlucky! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif Well unlucky means that I was able to pot anything on the table but my position game was pure joke /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif. I became really angry as it seemed that the pool gods put some curse on me... /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gifAt 2:7 my opponent made a stupid positional error himself which leaded in BIH for me. I ran that table out and I tried to concentrate once again. Slowly I cut on that deficit and I managed to get as close as 6:7 /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif. But then I went dry and he ran out. 6:8. Next two games took us 25 minutes total!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Two safety battles with 20-30 people watching both went my way. What a feeling! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif At 8:8 I told myself that I already won no matter the result of this match because I showed my heart and I never gave up + I have one more chance in case I lose /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. I broke and one ball fell in. Unfortunatelly there was an obstacle between cb and the 1 which were in line with the pocket /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif. I wasnt nervous at the moment, somehow the pressure went away and I decided to go for a jump shot. I made it comfortably and ran the whole thing out. This victory was just supersweet! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif I was in semis and waiting for my opponent. And once again Lukas Krenek was the one to beat. Unfortunatelly I wasnt able to produce a good break through the whole match + he played almost flawless pool so I lost 3:9. But one more bronze medal my collection! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

One week later there were/was(?) 14.1 nationals. My first opponent was a great friend of mine and equal player so the probable result could not be told. I lost the lag so I had to break. I made a quite decent break but he managed to pot a long ball. He tried to break the rack but the ball rattled in the jaws of the pocket. I went to the table and I ran 41+safety. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif He tried to hook me but fortunatelly left me a hard shot to the middle. I managed to pot the ball and ran another 35. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I made positional error and missed a hard shot. He ran 16 and made another mistake. I went to the table and ran 24 needed to win 100:17! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif I was really happy with the way I played, 100 in four innings (in fact 3) is my personal best in competition. There was one funny thing: I was definitelly struggling with my technique once again but I played a clever game and good position which enabled me to win the match. My next opponent was young player who I fight with for two seasons. We trade victories equally so once again it was open. Well the result wasnt, I got trashed 13:100 in 6 innings the similar way I won the first match /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif. I went to losers side and met Lukas Krenek once again. Well...I got trashed 12:100 in 7 innings. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif....veeeeeeeery strange tournament for me....so I finished 5th. One more thing: in semis Krenek was trailing 0:67 (played intentionally 3 fouls in a row) and then ran 100... /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Overall I am happy with the results of the nationals though it could be better but also it could be worse. And also our team was able to advance to the final of team nationals which will take place on „Finals day“ in May so I still have the chance to be champion this year! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I will keep you posted!
/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

PQQLK9
04-20-2005, 04:51 AM
Thanks for the report Marek, you played well.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2005, 05:54 AM
[ QUOTE ]
My break was working, <hr /></blockquote>

marek,

Please describe your 8-ball break.

And congrats on your 2 medals.

marek
04-20-2005, 07:01 AM
OK here is the secret of my 8ball break:

1) I put cue ball just in the middle of the kitchen line
2) I am cueing half tip above the center of the cueball with no sidespin
3) Then I produce the hardest CONTROLLED stroke
4) You must hit DEAD center of the head ball in the rack! I repeat DEAD center! it is a must!!!
5) Have your cue as level as possible with the table

If you have done everything right the cue ball should bounce off the rack 30 centimeters (1 foot) and then thx to halftip follow should stop just in the middle of the table. If you fail to follow rule n.4 the cueball will very likely sctrach into the middle pocket. Also failing to obey rule n.5 will produce minijump of the cueball which will reduce your break efficiency. Its all about kinetic energy, this way I can translate the most of my stroke energy into the rack as it is very hard to control any ball from the rack as in 9ball (with the exception of head ball into the middle pocket which is quite hard and not effective on every table).
Hope this helps... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2005, 07:20 AM
thanks marek

that's similar to the way I do it except I put the cb at the first diamond from the left.

I put a hard Talisman breaking tip on my break cue (thanks tony) and using this technique I make a ball more often then not and get a good spread.

I need to start keeping track of my % of making a ball on the break

SpiderMan
04-20-2005, 07:33 AM
Contgratulations on your performance, you must be a very good player. And thanks for the break description. I break 8-ball in a similar fashion.

I place the cueball about 1 foot to the right of the headspot, and break directly into the first ball. This seems to give me the best dispersion of the balls, and best chance of a runout if I make a ball. Unfortunately, this break is sometimes a sellout if nothing drops and my opponent is a good shooter.

If my break is not producing well, particularly if the table is slow, I will move the cueball further to the right, near the rail, and break on the second ball. This tends to produce some clumping of the balls on the right-hand side of the table. If I drop a ball on the break, I choose the better group and perhaps have a choice between a runout attempt or an early safety. If nothing falls on the break, at least there is the clumping to increase my chances of getting back to the table.

It seems that, between two players shooting well, the likely winner of an 8-ball game will be the one who first gets to choose the group.

SpiderMan

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2005, 07:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Contgratulations on your performance, you must be a very good player. And thanks for the break description. I break 8-ball in a similar fashion.

<hr /></blockquote>

do you use a tip of high?