PDA

View Full Version : mechanical bridge: okay to lay on table bed?

Alaskan_Pool
04-20-2005, 06:15 AM
I was playing straight pool earlier tonight and my opponent said that I could not lay the mechanical bridge on the table bed; that I had to hold it in my hand because it was illegal for it to remain in contact with the table cloth during the shot. I looked through the world standardized rules and the only guidance I found was that I could NOT find any rule that would make it illegal. But I want a more definitive answer. Can anyone tell me for sure if this is legal
or not? I did notice that Rule 3.1 (supplemental rules) states that two bridges can be used. Wouldn't you pretty much have to keep the bottom bridge laying on the table to perform this, and doesn't that validate that it is not illegal to lay a single bridge on the table during the shot? By the way, I just found this site, and this is my first post, so howdy all.

Chopstick
04-20-2005, 06:26 AM
I do recall something about holding the bridge in your hand. That was like twenty years ago. I don't think it applies anymore. If it's not in the book, then it's no longer a rule.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2005, 07:15 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alaskan_Pool:</font><hr> .. my opponent said that I could not lay the mechanical bridge on the table bed; <hr /></blockquote>

he's wrong

Scott Lee
04-20-2005, 11:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alaskan_Pool:</font><hr> .. my opponent said that I could not lay the mechanical bridge on the table bed; <hr /></blockquote>

he's wrong <hr /></blockquote>

Wally is correct! In fact, it is much easier to shoot with a mechanical bridge, for most shots needing one, to lay the bridge on table, position the bridge head where you want it (close to the CB), and then apply a small amount of pressure (with your bridge hand) to the bridge handle, which holds it firm on the cloth, so you can smoothly stroke with your grip hand.

Scott Lee

Wally_in_Cincy
04-20-2005, 12:30 PM
next time whip out one of these babies and see what he says

http://diamondpba.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=28&amp;osCsid=374303565f2 cff5927dd52e77e7d275f

Deeman2
04-20-2005, 12:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alaskan_Pool:</font><hr> .. my opponent said that I could not lay the mechanical bridge on the table bed; <hr /></blockquote>

he's wrong <hr /></blockquote>
<font color="blue"> He's stupid too. Now, that being said. If you laid a bridge on the table to use it as a measuring device and removed your hand, you might be in trouble.... </font color>

Deeman

randyg
04-21-2005, 04:03 AM
Wally: Be carefull on what he whips out.........SPF-randyg

nail
04-21-2005, 01:59 PM
I've never heard that it was illegal to lay the bridge on the table. Maybe you have to keep in contact with it though. I have heard that you can not place your cue on the table without keeping in contact with it.

JimS
04-22-2005, 03:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> next time whip out one of these babies and see what he says

http://diamondpba.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=28&amp;osCsid=374303565f2 cff5927dd52e77e7d275f <hr /></blockquote>

I have that thing and it's great!!

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2005, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JimS:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> next time whip out one of these babies and see what he says

http://diamondpba.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=28&amp;osCsid=374303565f2 cff5927dd52e77e7d275f <hr /></blockquote>

I have that thing and it's great!! <hr /></blockquote>

Yeah me too. Best $25 I ever spent. You can bridge over an entire rack in straight pool.

For some reason Keller's website is not there anymore.