PDA

View Full Version : Mori

poolmaster
04-20-2005, 05:01 PM
Does any body on this board shoot with a mori? And if you do tell how you like it or dislike it. Also do they make soft mori's or do they just make one?

Rod
04-20-2005, 05:35 PM
They make slow - med and quick. Heck there might even be an extra quick. There ok tips but I don't use them.

Rod

BillPorter
04-20-2005, 05:37 PM
Moori tips are generally regarded to be one of the best layered tips. They make them in soft, medium and hard.

SplinterHands
04-21-2005, 04:16 AM
I play with a Moori quick. It's the best tip on the market.

JimS
04-21-2005, 05:05 AM
I play with a Morri Quick or a Talisman Hard. I like those two better than others I've tried but

How the hell can anyone make the statement .....is the "best" tip. I have no idea if they are the best tips. What are the standards used to determine what the best tip is? Is Diamond the best table? Is South West the best cue. Not according to a bunch of people who like what they've got. The best tip is the one I've gotten used to and which I like the most.

SplinterHands
04-21-2005, 05:16 AM
"Best" meaning best quality and playability. No other tip compares.

One
04-21-2005, 08:01 AM
Moori tips are very expensive. Save yourself some money and get some Triangle tips instead, that is what I use. Moori tips are a "must have" only if you are WAY above professional level. The Moori tip should always come last for that little extra boost of skill.

Triangle tip is more consistent than the table is, this means that you can hit the cueball with a speed that is more accurate than what the table can produce. Because all tables are not perfectly level. I can see if the cueball rolls little too much or too little, a Moori tip doesn't help for this!

The Triangle tip is consistent enough for 1 practice session, you won't be able to see a difference at the beginning and at the end of a 3 hour session. The first few minutes when you warm-up you get used to that tip shape and can keep playing with it, so you get a good quality practice session for much cheaper than the Moori tip.

But if you play tournaments and don't have ANY practice time before the match, the Moori tip can be a difference of winning or losing, like if you use much spin and get a miscue.

Billy_Bob
04-21-2005, 08:03 AM
I play with a Moori Q (hard) tip. But also use a tiger break/jump tip on my breaking cue, a phenolic tip on my jump cue, and a Triangle tip on my masse' cue.

If you look closely at tips, leather tips are like shag carpeting. Moori (pig skin) tips are like low pile carpeting. So I think the Moori tips have more points of contact when touching the cue ball - more friction - better grab on the ball.

I once experimented with different tips and decided I liked the Moori best. May want to get an old cue and try out different tips. The best selection of tips is on the internet, not at local retail billiards stores.

Here is one...
http://www.cuestik.com

Cane
04-21-2005, 08:21 AM
Tip choice is a personal thing. I use and like Moori Quicks because I find them more durable and consistent than any other tip I've used... so they're best for ME... doesn't mean they're best for everyone. There are so many high quality tips on the market that it's hard to say if any one is "best". I have two friends that play professionally, one of them uses Moori, the other uses LePro and several that gamble for a living on the table, a group where you'll find everything from Moori to Sniper to Triangle to Elkmaster. Most are great players and can do things with a cue ball that are unimaginable to the average player...

So... try several different tips and figure out what works best for you and your style of play. THAT will be the BEST tip in your situation.

Later,
Bob

wolfdancer
04-21-2005, 09:52 AM
if it's genuine:
"When the moon hits your eye like a big pizza pie,
that's a Moori"

bustah360
04-21-2005, 11:39 AM
Does anyone know what the going rate putting on a moori tip on your cue with cost? Just a ball park figure.

Another thing is that I think I've seen a couple of ppl use moori tips. To my understanding they last much longer than any other tip. I just wanted to know more about the ability of these tips.

BillPorter
04-21-2005, 04:58 PM
One local cue maker (Cincinnati) charges $35 to install a Moori tip. On the Internet, the tips run about $20 from most billiard supply places. Best price I found recently is Atlas Billiard Supply. Atlas has them for $10 apiece. They have a $45 minimum order as I recall.

LJC_Cues
04-21-2005, 08:25 PM
I have used all different kinds of tips. when I first started playing I was playing 6hrs or more a day. The moori lasted just as long as any other tip I used about 2 months. So I dont know why they say they last longer but maybe they do on other peoples cues who knows. I will say that with the moori it NEVER mushroomed even after I just installed I didnt have to clean it up after a couple of hours playing with it! All the other tips I have used after a couple days playing with them I had to reshape them and then they stayed good except for the elk master. which is a soft tip that thing seemed to mushroom every week or so of playing after the intial cleaning up. The moori will not improve your game or give you better draw or follow or spin. So if you are thinking about getting one because some one told you that then just stick with the one you are using now. Those things come from the proper stroke!! I dont care what any one says if you dont have a good stroke you're not going to good results with the cue ball!! I do use moori's on my cues for the simple fact I dont have to mess with them once I put them on!

Troy
04-21-2005, 08:36 PM
Please tell us Patrick, how do you put a Triangle tip on your mouse ???

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> Moori tips are very expensive. Save yourself some money and get some Triangle tips instead, that is what I use. Moori tips are a "must have" only if you are WAY above professional level. The Moori tip should always come last for that little extra boost of skill.

Triangle tip is more consistent than the table is, this means that you can hit the cueball with a speed that is more accurate than what the table can produce. Because all tables are not perfectly level. I can see if the cueball rolls little too much or too little, a Moori tip doesn't help for this!

The Triangle tip is consistent enough for 1 practice session, you won't be able to see a difference at the beginning and at the end of a 3 hour session. The first few minutes when you warm-up you get used to that tip shape and can keep playing with it, so you get a good quality practice session for much cheaper than the Moori tip.

But if you play tournaments and don't have ANY practice time before the match, the Moori tip can be a difference of winning or losing, like if you use much spin and get a miscue.
<hr /></blockquote>

Cane
04-21-2005, 09:01 PM
LOL, I want to hear the answer to that ONE! I spent $11.95, our local Wal Mart price, and tried VP3 and ran 26 straight racks... too bad that the REAL pool tables aren't that easy! Geez, I'd be a world champion in NO TIME!!! Of course, I might have done better if I'd tried to play millimeter shape and place my CB within 10 to 12 cm of the OB on every shot, but I'm not that picky!

Later,

Bob... one of the old geezers that prefers to NOT step into ONE's new era of pocket billiards. I want the TRUE game and the TRUE skills... Hmmmmmm... I think I'll change my handle to "TRUE".

One
04-23-2005, 02:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I spent $11.95, our local Wal Mart price, and tried VP3 and ran 26 straight racks... <hr /></blockquote>
Did you use tracking lines? It is pointless if you do, I never use the tracking lines.

I have only been able to run 18 racks in 9-ball without tracking lines, but I didn't attempt optimal position play. Now I haven't made more than 6 racks in 2 years, because I try to improve by playing closer position play.

One
04-23-2005, 02:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> Please tell us Patrick, how do you put a Triangle tip on your mouse ???<hr /></blockquote>
I have played more real life pool than Virtual Pool. But now I have changed to 95% VP3, so I will catch up in a few years.