PDA

View Full Version : Which do you like better

poolmaster
04-20-2005, 05:22 PM
OK we all pool players played all different kinds of rules regarding pool. My question is which league do you like better. BCA,APA,VALLEY. I think that this will raise a few eyebrows.

Rod
04-20-2005, 05:32 PM
Well aside from it being asked neumerous time allready, it might. Oh, I don't play league, but if I did it would be BCA.

Rod

randyg
04-20-2005, 06:43 PM
BCA

ras314
04-20-2005, 07:01 PM
How about forgetting the fancy leagues and playing plain old bar rules? Keeps you thinking trying to remember which bar or banger playes by which rules. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

LJC_Cues
04-20-2005, 08:55 PM
I hate the APA !! I like my local in house league rules. open on the break, if you call a pocket and ball goes in different pocket you have to spot it back up! Ball in hand!

LARRY_BOY
04-21-2005, 05:57 AM
The best league to play is a house league. No national dues to pay and you are supporting your local pool hall as compared to a bar. There is usually 20 time more bars in a town than pool halls. imho

SpiderMan
04-21-2005, 08:04 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> BCA <hr /></blockquote>

Randy,

In your opinion, what is the membership "split" between BCA and ACS, nationwide? Was there an approximate 50-50 split in loyalties?

Do you think that both organizations will remain viable?

SpiderMan

Deeman2
04-21-2005, 08:07 AM
BCA, but I'd love to see them get real sized tables....

Deeman

BigRigTom
04-21-2005, 08:14 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> BCA, but I'd love to see them get real sized tables....

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>
What is a "Real Sized" Table?
What does the BCA use now if not "Real Sized" tables?

Deeman2
04-21-2005, 08:28 AM
Just a note. I like BCA because we have a great web site (SWEL) to track matches, they pay out (we just got over a dime last week and APA gives sheet metal out as prizes. Also, the level of player at the lower ratings is a tad better.

On a lighter note, the schedule on the web site for the Dallas Championships says, "All Division winners will be seated." I commented to a group last night that I thought it was unfair the other teams had to stand during competition! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif After a short bit of consternation one guy says, "That means they will be put in further along in the brackets." I said, "No, that's SEEDED, according to these rules you losers will just have to stand." Nobody got it! I didn't even bother to explain I was screwing with them. Now poor Robert will be getting calls demanding they have chairs at the Texas SWEL.

Another tidbit from the same deal last night. My wife's women's league is doing a nine ball league for the Summer. Half their meeting was over a decision on the break and run reward. After about fifteen minutes I asked (not being a participant, I was taking my life in my hands), "When was the last time someone in the women's league ran a rack of nine ball?" Dead silence and on to the next subject. Just doing my part to keep the meeting shorter. The other half of the meeting was over a time limit. They were upset because a team member of mine is known to be somewhat slow. Mind you, he won't play in the women's league as he looks crappy in a dress. Anyway, they could not decide between 45 seconds (a nod to the WPBA) and 3 minutes. The most vital question asked was, "Does the clock start when you put your beer down or when you reach the table?" Thye then voted down a time limit so i can look forward to sweating Deewoman's matches in the wee hours. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Any of you who do not attend league formation meetings are missing one of the great parlimentary experiences in your life.

Deeman
won't join a group who would have someone like me as a member...

LARRY_BOY
04-21-2005, 08:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> BCA, but I'd love to see them get real sized tables....

What does the BCA use now if not "Real Sized" tables? <hr /></blockquote>

Do thay come in other sizes besides 9'?

Deeman2
04-21-2005, 08:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> BCA, but I'd love to see them get real sized tables....

What does the BCA use now if not "Real Sized" tables? <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> Not really sure. You can get the little ones that sit on your desk that have the tiny balls and the cotton swab sized cues. I know some of you are also firmly committed to bumper pool but the rubber knobs keep getting in the way. Tables also come in 4 &amp; 1/2 foot by nine foot. In the old days, we had ten footers. In Canada they have 10 foot snooker tables, in England, China and elsewhere, 12 footers. The ones I was referring to are usually between 6 and 7 foot in length, about the size of a coffee table. You place coins in them (usually 3 or four) and sometimes the balls actually come out in a tray so you can rack them with a little plastic rack that is A) Sticky, B) Broken or C) not square. These tables require a higher level of position skill and an ability to change the amount of draw or follow based on how many Buds have been spilled on it.

The above is not true of some BCA leagues and certainly not at the state and national championships where you have to get used to A) Consistent rolls, B) Sober opponents and C) People who do know the size of a "regulation table".</font color>

Deeman
Hey, don't jump me, BIGRUGTOM, I'm not an instructor either.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Rich R.
04-21-2005, 08:47 AM
BCA does not have a strong presence in my area, and I don't believe there are any Valley leagues at all, so I play in the APA. Although it is not perfect, I enjoy playing in that league.

From what I understand, and I could be wrong, in a BCA league, each player plays one rack against each of the players on the other team. Although I have never tried it, that format doesn't really appeal to me. I enjoy being able to play a complete race against another player, as is done in the APA.

I am fortunate, in that I play in and in-house league and we use 9' tables. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Maybe, some day, I will have the opportunity to try the BCA format. I may fool myself and like it.

I firmly believe that the main difference between good and bad leagues are the people that make them up, not the format or the governing body. If you happen to be in a league with a good group of people, you will enjoy it. Otherwise, you will not like league play.

Deeman2
04-21-2005, 09:19 AM
Rich,

Well said, for a blue stater... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

wolfdancer
04-21-2005, 09:23 AM
"When was the last time someone in the women's league ran a rack of nine ball?"
Them's fightin' words....you're lucky to have gotten out of there alive. You've probably already been reported to N.O.W.
and you can expect a visit from Martha Burk, in the near future.

Barbara
04-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Or does everybody play straight up?

Barbara

BigRigTom
04-21-2005, 10:27 AM
OK DEEMAN! he he /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
You sound like not being an instructor either is a good thing. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I honestly don't mean to "JUMP" on anyone.
I am just extremely opinionated /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bustah360
04-21-2005, 10:52 AM
I guess with what league's better depends on the player's ability. I understand that bca leagues have much higher caliber players than that of apa. Beginner's like standing a chance during a match in apa, and more advanced players like to get the night rolling over at bca. Personally I don't know if playing one game against each player is something I'd like to do. I mostly play 9ball and straight, so I like to stay at the table till the game's done.

Rich R.
04-21-2005, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Rich,

Well said, for a blue stater... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

We're not all bad. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Deeman2
04-21-2005, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Or does everybody play straight up?

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

It's all straight up. Now, in answer to the other comment on my getting killed by NOW for my sexist statement. I have lived in Detroit, Phily, Memphis, Munich and several other places where many of the ladies were a threat to run out in nine ball. Not in Longview, Texas. However, I will keep a close lookout for female drive-bys....

Deeman

wolfdancer
04-21-2005, 11:24 AM
"I think that this will raise a few eyebrows."
And why would you think that?

Brian in VA
04-21-2005, 11:49 AM
I play in an ACS (formerly BCA) league and it is handicapped with every member of the team's individual handicap counting. While I hate that we only play one game against each of the other team members, it is a very exciting format. Your one game is a big deal if the match is on the line. I finally had a break through last night playing last each game; came through in the clutch each time including one amazing run out at the end of the match.

Brian in VA

bsmutz
04-21-2005, 12:34 PM
None. Ideally, I think a tournament (league) should be played kind of like what we see on TV. No handicaps, good equipment, and a race to a reasonable number of games to allow the best player the best odds of coming out on top. I liked the non-handicap rule in the league that I last played in, but I didn't like only getting to play two games each week. Additionally, I didn't like having to play on lousy equipment most of the time. Big cue balls, worn out cloth, and uneven slates make for a challenge that I don't really want to have to deal with. I would prefer to play in a league that plays in a pool hall on 9' tables with good cloth.

Eric.
04-21-2005, 01:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> pause, stroke, finish, ...f***!!
missed again <hr /></blockquote>

Everbody is a friggin comedian. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric

poolmaster
04-21-2005, 04:09 PM
In my area I play the Valley league. I really like this league but in one area I don't is you only get to play each person one time. BCA is not that popular in my area. APA I would not like because of two factors. One is that in eight ball league is that if you luck in a ball that does not go in the pocket that really did not shoot for it still counts. And the other factor is that is the coach on each team can come in and tell so and so person how to shoot a certain ball to get shape on another ball. This doesn't work eighty percent of the time. Just my opinion.

randyg
04-21-2005, 05:29 PM
SPIDERMAN: I have to be carefull here. First I don't see this as a "split".

The current BCA has retained almost all of it's original membership. Oh sure there is a small loss, but not very significant. The ACS has reported to have about 17,000 members. Very apparent that "double sanctioning" works.

The BCA website shows a very strong sign-up for their Nationals. I have not kept up with ACS.

Second, I beleive that the players will migate to the money. History show this as does my personal involement with the sport. The BCA has set a five year program with the money in some form of escrow. Once again I don't know about the ACS finances.

Third. The ACS gives me another tournament to go play in, how can I lose?

My final thought is that if the ACS can make it the first couple of years, more power to them......SPF-randyg

SpiderMan
04-22-2005, 07:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> SPIDERMAN: I have to be carefull here. First I don't see this as a "split".

The current BCA has retained almost all of it's original membership. Oh sure there is a small loss, but not very significant. The ACS has reported to have about 17,000 members. Very apparent that "double sanctioning" works.

The BCA website shows a very strong sign-up for their Nationals. I have not kept up with ACS.

Second, I beleive that the players will migate to the money. History show this as does my personal involement with the sport. The BCA has set a five year program with the money in some form of escrow. Once again I don't know about the ACS finances.

Third. The ACS gives me another tournament to go play in, how can I lose?

My final thought is that if the ACS can make it the first couple of years, more power to them......SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

That's very interesting, I hadn't considered the impact of "double sanction". What this might imply is that some ACS members could be "testing the water", ie not migrating from one organization to the other. That makes sense, though it does also suggest that most(?) ACS members must be enthusiasts who are playing in a minimum of two simultaneous leagues.

I wonder if the same double-sanction benefit will carry over to attendance at nationals. Do you know, is registration for BCA nationals this year continuing the same trend (percentage increase over last year) as we have become accustomed to seeing?

SpiderMan

randyg
04-22-2005, 11:21 AM
SPIDERMAN: Last week they were at about the same level as last year.