PDA

View Full Version : Toss it, or call it?

Leviathan
04-20-2005, 06:05 PM
Now, here's a question with the potential to make everybody really crazy: Do you prefer to toss the coin, or to call it? (I usually don't care who breaks first--but I want to call the toss!)

AS

Barbara
04-20-2005, 06:09 PM
One word - LAG.

Barbara~~~it's skill, not luck!

Besides which, it's a classy thing to do.

Bob_Jewett
04-20-2005, 06:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Now, here's a question with the potential to make everybody really crazy: Do you prefer to toss the coin, or to call it? (I usually don't care who breaks first--but I want to call the toss!

AS <hr /></blockquote>
We had someone claim -- I don't remember who it was or in which forum -- that he could flip what he wanted 75% of the time. I know someone who would let him flip day and night if he gave up 6:4 on the money.

Leviathan
04-20-2005, 06:18 PM
Ah, yes! But you have the advantage of playing against people who have heard of lagging!

AS

wolfdancer
04-20-2005, 06:45 PM
Bob, In what was possibly the worst coin flip call of all time...in pro football history
The Buffalo Bills were in the old AFC...before the merger.
They are playing in the championship game against the San Diego Chargers, and the game goes into overtime.
Team Co-Captain Elbert Dubenion makes the call for the Bills. The idea was to get the side of the field, that took advantage of a strong wind. He wins the toss, and instead of
taking the field position....says we'll kick off, which left the Chargers pick which goal to defend.
Somehow Buffalo wins the game.
Elbert was a pretty good wide receiver, pretty bad coin toss caller.
I think lagging for the break is the way to go...it's an art, like the all but forgotten spot shot.

Troy
04-20-2005, 07:06 PM
Preferably (and properly) by a lag.
If you must go the coin flip routine, use a penny. The cloth will be much better off.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Now, here's a question with the potential to make everybody really crazy: Do you prefer to toss the coin, or to call it? (I usually don't care who breaks first--but I want to call the toss!)

AS <hr /></blockquote>

CarolNYC
04-21-2005, 02:51 AM
I prefer to win the lag /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol~never wins the coin toss /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

LARRY_BOY
04-21-2005, 05:54 AM
It doesn't matter your odds are still the same.......

Troy
04-21-2005, 07:19 AM
If you mean the odds of winning a lag are the same as winning the coin toss,
I disagree.
The lag is a skill shot that can be practiced.
A coin toss is pure luck with 50-50 odds.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LARRY_BOY:</font><hr> It doesn't matter your odds are still the same....... <hr /></blockquote>

Cane
04-21-2005, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I prefer to win the lag /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Carol~never wins the coin toss /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif <hr /></blockquote>

I firmly agree with Carol. I think if I tossed a 2 headed coin and called heads, somehow it would come up tails. Lag is a skill shot, so why not start a skill game out with a skill..

Later,
Bob (constantly gives up opening break on coin tosses)

ceebee
04-21-2005, 07:48 AM
I like to lag, I'm not a lucky kinda guy. I'd rather pit my skill against an opponent for the break shot.

I like the break shot &amp; the power that goes along with it. I also like to be the first player to win in a match.

Billy_Bob
04-21-2005, 07:51 AM
I always call it and always call the same. This tends to even out over time.

Someone once accused me of flipping the coin improperly when he lost the flip. Next time I played him, I let him flip and I won the flip again. Then I had a break and run-out which pleased me to no end.

So I just let the other player flip, then when I win the flip, they can't accuse me of somehow intentionally flipping in my favor. I could care less who wins the flip anyway. If they win the break and run in most of their balls, then I have an advantage - none of their balls are in my way (8-ball) - fine with me!

FYI - I also lag. Depends on the tournament.

bustah360
04-21-2005, 11:53 AM
I like to call it cuz I always choose heads. Tossing it would stick me with someone else's call, LOL. It sounds pretty silly but I really hate tossing eventhough I feel like the broke bum without a quarter in his pocket. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
04-21-2005, 03:32 PM
Lagging is the "studly" thing to do....but I like to flip...the other guy's coin. Sometimes if you're fast enough, you can then pocket the coin, and three or four matches later, you're ahead, maybe a buck. Every little bit helps.
My cost of living, since I moved up here, has gone way up.
sure, rents and utilities are cheaper, but i'm now paying over $40 for the same size bottle of Bombay, that I used to pay $26 for at Costco.