PDA

View Full Version : Professional Vs. Amateur

jpeters
04-21-2005, 08:57 PM
I was just reading the current magazines and noticed that many of the "so called" amateurs are being paid quite a lot of money winning tournaments $3000, $4000, $5000 etc. Is there a money amount that qualifies someone as a professional or is it some other criteria? I broke the balls (playing nine ball)last night 17 times (out of 24 games) made a ball on the break 12 times, finished that rack 8 times (with 1 double on the 9 ball), where do I qualify? Am I in range of the tour players? Which brings me to the next question, What are the qualifications for entering into a Professional Event? I never would have imagined getting this far with instruction but everything is clicking and I am quite interested in a new challenge.

Cane
04-21-2005, 09:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr>&lt;snip&gt; where do I qualify? Am I in range of the tour players? Which brings me to the next question, What are the qualifications for entering into a Professional Event? &lt;snip&gt; <hr /></blockquote>

Just show up and bring your game! I'm playing this weekend in a tourney where Gabe Owens and Jeremy Jones will be among the entries. The room manager tells me there are 4 other "ranked" UPA players that have already "reserved" entries in the tournament. Word of warning, there is a lot of difference between running racks in your home pool room and running racks when your standing across the table from Buddy Hall! Nerves and composure will be tested to the max. Personally, 3 months ago, when I got in the midst of that kind of competition, my hands sweated so bad they were dripping! It's better now, but not great yet! Just get in there and develop that "toughness" that's necessary to compete on that level.

As for the other part of your question, there are a LOT of amateur events that pay a lot of money. Warning... the competition there is just as, if not MORE fierce than it is in Pro tournaments!

Later,
Bob

Bob_Jewett
04-21-2005, 11:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr>... What are the qualifications for entering into a Professional Event?... <hr /></blockquote>
You have to give the tournament director your entry fee. They will almost always be delighted to see another player.

In a few events, you have to be a member of something, which is usually a minor cost. In another few events, it is by invitation only. You can enter the World Championships this year simply by winning a qualifying tournament, and I think that no membership is required, and several qualifying tournaments will be held at the site of the Championships just before they start.

You might consider practicing up for the Derby City Classic next January -- you get to test yourself at three different games, and there is more side action than any sane person could want.

The Reno Sands Open is also a nice event and is only about $150 to enter with no membership required. The rooms are cheaper than for any other tournament I know of. The next one is at the start of June.

randyg
04-22-2005, 05:40 AM
Caneman must be talking about Tulsa!

SPetty
04-22-2005, 07:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> I'm playing this weekend in a tourney where Gabe Owens and Jeremy Jones will be among the entries. <hr /></blockquote> http://www.pettypoint.com/poolpics/IHeartGabe.gif

Cane
04-22-2005, 08:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> Caneman must be talking about Tulsa! <hr /></blockquote>

Randy, Actually, this one is in Fayetteville, AR. It's the first time the Midwest 9-Ball Tour has had a stop in Fayetteville. It's at a place called "Wild On Fayetteville's Billiard Palace".

Interesting side show. Tonight at 9pm, Gabe and Jeremy Jones are playing a R-11 9 ball match for $500. Cheap money for those guys, but it's all for a show anyways. After the match, they're going to take open table challenges. The tourney itself starts tomorrow, signup by 11AM, Race to 9, 9-Ball on Valley Bar Boxes. Should be a good tournament. If the regular crowd shows up, I'd expect to see Paul Guernsey, Buddy Hall, Fat Ralph, David Matlock, Tyler Straun, James Walden and a host of other good players, of course, including Gabe and JJ. It should be a good tournament with tough competition.

later,
Bob

PQQLK9
04-22-2005, 08:15 AM
Keep us posted Cane, I'm rootin fer ya to take this thing off.

DickLeonard
04-22-2005, 08:55 AM
Just remember this, Jeanie Balukas couldn't play college basketball because she had won the US Open Title and had collected prize money. So if you possess a skill that may get you a college scholarship skip playing money tournaments.####

SPetty
04-22-2005, 09:39 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> After the match, they're going to take open table challenges. <hr /></blockquote>Take him on, Cane! If you win, he has to come to the CCB Chili CookOff. If he wins... whatever...

/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Have fun!

Troy
04-22-2005, 10:01 AM
This has been covered many times.....

Simply put, a professional makes his/her entire living playing pool (or whatever sport). This is extremely UN-likely to happen at pool. After figuring in entry fees, travel, hotels/motels, food, etc., etc., there are very, very few true professionals.

To enter most tournaments, all you need to do is submit your entry fee. Some of the so-called tours require being a member of the organization.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr> I was just reading the current magazines and noticed that many of the "so called" amateurs are being paid quite a lot of money winning tournaments $3000, $4000, $5000 etc. Is there a money amount that qualifies someone as a professional or is it some other criteria? I broke the balls (playing nine ball)last night 17 times (out of 24 games) made a ball on the break 12 times, finished that rack 8 times (with 1 double on the 9 ball), where do I qualify? Am I in range of the tour players? Which brings me to the next question, What are the qualifications for entering into a Professional Event? I never would have imagined getting this far with instruction but everything is clicking and I am quite interested in a new challenge. <hr /></blockquote>

SpiderMan
04-22-2005, 11:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Troy:</font><hr> This has been covered many times.....

Simply put, a professional makes his/her entire living playing pool (or whatever sport). This is extremely UN-likely to happen at pool. After figuring in entry fees, travel, hotels/motels, food, etc., etc., there are very, very few true professionals.

To enter most tournaments, all you need to do is submit your entry fee. Some of the so-called tours require being a member of the organization.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jpeters:</font><hr> I was just reading the current magazines and noticed that many of the "so called" amateurs are being paid quite a lot of money winning tournaments $3000, $4000, $5000 etc. Is there a money amount that qualifies someone as a professional or is it some other criteria? I broke the balls (playing nine ball)last night 17 times (out of 24 games) made a ball on the break 12 times, finished that rack 8 times (with 1 double on the 9 ball), where do I qualify? Am I in range of the tour players? Which brings me to the next question, What are the qualifications for entering into a Professional Event? I never would have imagined getting this far with instruction but everything is clicking and I am quite interested in a new challenge. <hr /></blockquote> <hr /></blockquote>

I remember reading a book, years ago, that I believe was titled "The Lions and the Lambs". It featured short biographies on quite a few contemporary pool players.

In the section on Ronnie Allen, the author noted that he was the only "player" currently listing his occupation as "pool player" on his 1040. Of course, how would the author (or anyone else) really know?

If I've got the wrong title, someone help me out.

SpiderMan

ras314
04-22-2005, 01:09 PM
There is a fellow called "Chewy" around the Denver area I believe. If you have to give him a spot you are qualified to play in pro tournaments. And win a few. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
04-22-2005, 02:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote ras314:</font><hr> There is a fellow called "Chewy" around the Denver area I believe. If you have to give him a spot you are qualified to play in pro tournaments. And win a few. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Roy...I bet that's Chuey Rivera! He's been in Denver forever! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

ras314
04-22-2005, 04:55 PM
Hi Scott,

I think that's the name, sort of a small guy near as old as I am. Takes about a hunnert practice pokes before he strokes the cb. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I vaguely remember him from many years ago, which means he impressed me considerably to remember anyone that long. He wound up second to Billy Palmer in the last NM Open 9 ball. I think the stress of having to meet a 45 second shot clock got to him a bit. Also the idea of having to win 2 races to 11 against Palmer is rather daunting for anybody.

Anyway I consider him a good player to test oneself against.