PDA

View Full Version : Pool Hall Preacher

DrDraw
04-22-2005, 07:19 AM
I recently read in the "ask Jeanette " column where a guy asks about seeing a guy in a pool hall, and also seeing him in the pulpit on Sunday...She really went on the defensive, implying that the gentleman inquiring felt that preachers were too good to play in a pool hall. Well, as a preacher I understand the stigma that is associated with the "contrast" between the two images that confused the young man...I myself have had to deal with this problem, because I am an avid pool player too. I have a table in my home, but I like to go to the billiards room because I always keep beating myself (LOL). But on the serious note, I enjoy the level of competition in the billiards room that I cannot find anywhere else.
I often get an inquisitive look from christian people who know me, but when they see me conduct myself in a Christlike way (no drinking, no smoking, no cursing, no gambling)this is what truly matters. Everyone who plays with me knows I won't gamble, but they'd better bring a decent game, too.
And because I have never "hid" what I am, I often find that arena to be a fertile ground for the "good news".
Let me know what you think...

<font color="green"> </font color> DrDraw

SplinterHands
04-22-2005, 07:26 AM
You can drink, smoke, curse and gamble anywhere. Playing pool has nothing to do with it unless you let it. Nobody is perfect.

Saint
04-22-2005, 08:00 AM
You're a preacher and you play pool?

That makes me almost want to go back to Church /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Seriously, there is nothing innately immoral about being in a pool hall. Walking in a pool hall is not a sin, carrying a pool cue is not a Sin, playing the game is not a Sin (well it is the way I do it /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif).

In fact, those in your parish who would judge you based solely upon your enjoyment of the game are the ones who should spend some more time on their knees. You are being honest with yourself and those around you, and are using opportunities to spread the word when they are given. I can't see why there would be any kind of issue, unless you are bringing a soapbox to the pool hall.

My two cents.

--Saint

wolfdancer
04-22-2005, 08:27 AM
"I like to go to the billiards room because I always keep beating myself"
....instead of this self-flagellation, why not wear a hairshirt instead?

Rich R.
04-22-2005, 08:52 AM
I will be the first to say, I ain't no preacher. I'm not even close. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
But I see nothing wrong with a preacher playing pool.

Pool is a game and, yes, there are some bad people who play this game. That doesn't mean that everyone who plays pool is bad.

We need more people, like yourself, to set an example for others. Maybe we can even change the public image of pool players, by letting people know that there are a lot of good people playing pool too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Popcorn
04-22-2005, 09:35 AM
Are you objective enough to see how what you wrote may sound to some?
You conduct yourself in a "Christ like way".

SPetty
04-22-2005, 09:45 AM
We used to have a poster here named preacherman (Jim, I think) and he either founded or is a big part of the CPPA, the Christian Pool Players Association.

http://www.christianpoolplayers.com/

There's also another forum somewhere that has an entire section devoted to Christian pool players. Can anyone provide this guy a URL to that forum?

JPB
04-22-2005, 10:36 AM
"but when they see me conduct myself in a Christlike way (no drinking, no smoking, no cursing, no gambling)this is what truly matters"

STFU

Brian in VA
04-22-2005, 10:41 AM
"Let me know what you think..."

Judge not, lest you shall also be judged.

If you came into my pool hall I think you'd be welcomed, I know I'd welcome you. You'd probably end up playing me since I don't typically gamble. We'd have a good time and a very enlightening theological conversation. (I dare say we'd have a bigger disagreement there than whether or not you should be in a pool room in the first place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif)

Poolplayers come from every walk of life. That's as it should be.

Brian in VA

Saint
04-22-2005, 10:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> "but when they see me conduct myself in a Christlike way (no drinking, no smoking, no cursing, no gambling)this is what truly matters"

STFU
<hr /></blockquote>

Why the hostility? He didn't say that's the way YOU have to behave. He didn't say he expected everyone in the hall to behave that way. He said that's the way he behaved. I don't see the disagreement? Surely you don't think anyone thinks the Christ went around cussing, smoking and gambling?

Hell, I'm no angel but cut the guys some slack. As long as he isn't spending his night telling me not to cuss drink and smoke, why would I care? Honestly, I'd rather have a polite tea toter than some drunken [censored] in the hall anyway.

--Saint

DeathKnell
04-22-2005, 02:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>There's also another forum somewhere that has an entire section devoted to Christian pool players. Can anyone provide this guy a URL to that forum?
<hr /></blockquote>

Maybe the forum at billiards-pool.net. Has section for peeps of many different religious persuasions.

http://www.billiards-pool.net/modules/newbb/index.php

nhp
04-23-2005, 03:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> "but when they see me conduct myself in a Christlike way (no drinking, no smoking, no cursing, no gambling)this is what truly matters"

STFU
<hr /></blockquote>

Did you ever stop to think that maybe he meant a Christian-like way but just abbreviated it? Sheesh....

JPB
04-23-2005, 09:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote JPB:</font><hr> "but when they see me conduct myself in a Christlike way (no drinking, no smoking, no cursing, no gambling)this is what truly matters"

STFU
<hr /></blockquote>

Did you ever stop to think that maybe he meant a Christian-like way but just abbreviated it? Sheesh.... <hr /></blockquote>

Yes. But the way it was worded was too obnioxious. "Christlike way" un fricking believable. So maybe my post was obnoxious too, but whatever. I could explain my position more, but then I know it would turn into a pointless religion discussion where people get all mad. So I won't. But I will just say that religion is personal and people can believe what they want, but I get tired of people wanting to inject religion into everything. It shuts down conversation because it just turns into a religious deal. If I see a guy not drinking in a pool hall I am not going to think, "Gee, what a Christlike chap that fellow is." I'll just figure one of several things 1) He doesn't like drinking 2) He doesn't like drinking while playing pool 3) He is like many pool players and too cheap to buy a drink from the pool hall or 4) He is a revovering drunk. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Whether he is Christlike just isn't going to factor in.

Well, one religious thing. Do people really think Jesus didn't drink? How is that argued?

Saint
04-23-2005, 10:15 AM
He surely did not drink in excess. There's no maybe, both of your posts were obnoxious.

Alfie
04-23-2005, 12:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Saint:</font><hr> He surely did not drink in excess. <hr /></blockquote>How do you know this?

Leviathan
04-23-2005, 01:26 PM
I think you're proselytizing. I think it would be swell if the moderator would move this thread to the non-pool side.
--AS

wolfdancer
04-23-2005, 01:56 PM
perhaps they could add a Christian Pool discussion board.
However idea of "Christ" with a cuestick, gives new meaning to
"thy rod and thy staff"
http://jonathanscorner.com/etc/good_shepherd/printer.html

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 02:11 PM
I used to think i had to go out and tell everyone they needed to except Jesus and i would tell them about how we should live in a christlike manner but man that didnt work very well especially in the work place.The reason this does did not work is becuase if I talk all the time about it then i feel i have to follow my words which i would want to but sometimes we fall short and then we think well i just screwed up my witness and we begin to see ourselves as a failure.Through alot of situations ive been through I have learned to Concentrate on my own life and let me actions do the speaking becuase if i do that then the person who comes up to me and asks "Why do you act the way you do"then I can say something like"Well Christ lives within me and is teaching me how to act like this"then leave it up to that person if they want to continue the conversation.If they ask me why I act the way I do then they must think that they dont have that in there life and want to know why I do.Its much easier this way cuase Acting it out and letting other see that is the better way cuase when they come to us they have already seen what they needed to see and i dont have to prove anything to them.Now that i do that i feel more successful.I dont follow that 100% of the time but it the general way that I witness now about who Christ is.There are times like this for example when i will speak up.I may post time to time on Evolution vs creation topics and other similiar topics.In fact in a few days ill be posting on Evolution vs Creation and what some scientist from both sides have to say about it.

TennesseeJoe
04-23-2005, 02:25 PM
So who is soooo good that they think that drinking, smoking and gambling is un Christ like? There are a lot of Christian functions that allow drinking,smoking and gambling --- such as a Las Vegas night or Bingo night. Get real!!!

stickman
04-23-2005, 02:43 PM
I'd be happy to see a preacher playing pool in my poolhall, especially if you're a good player. It is difficult to find a good opponent unless you have money to gamble. Many of the better players here won't play unless there is money on the line. I'm not necessarily opposed to gambling, but I don't gamble money I can't afford to loose. Being on disability, I seldom have extra money to gamble. I don't think Jesus was afraid to go someplace where there might be sinners. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

wolfdancer
04-23-2005, 02:52 PM
".....tell everyone they needed to except Jesus"

"...In fact in a few days ill be posting on Evolution vs Creation and what some scientist from both sides have to say about it."

No, please don't....not another revolutionary, evolutionary, debate debacle ...we just put that "puppy" away
see "kinks in evolution....blindplayer"
I'll except Jesus!!
'cept on fri's when I drink and play pool

JPB
04-23-2005, 02:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Saint:</font><hr> He surely did not drink in excess. There's no maybe, both of your posts were obnoxious. <hr /></blockquote>

No, I think my first post was obnoxious. The second one I don't think was.

You seem pretty sure that Jesus never drank to excess. I would be interested in your explanation that gives you such a strong opinion, and might have some serious questions about it.

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 06:06 PM
I dont believe Jesus drank in excess either.The reason why i believe this is becuase if you look at drunks most are very rude,loud,there out of touch persay with reality.People use Alcohol as a way to escape there problems instead of calling on Christ to help them with there problem.Actually they have not even eccepted Christ and no relationship with him so they dont even consider that an option.Look at all the problems we have with alcohol violence,drunk driving accidents, i mean you name it.You may say well when i get drunk im aware of what im doing and you may very well be ,but what example are you portraying to others?Someone who is not in control when there drunk see you doing it then they think oh ok ill do it too no big deal and then terrible things start to happen especially if the person gets addicted.Jesus is against being rude,violence,Jesus wants you to call on him and not alcohol.Im not agianst drinking at all but I am agianst excessive drinking.Jesus drank wine but he never got drunk cuase if he did then he would have sined and gone agianst Gods Laws and then he would not have been the perfect lamb of God that was crucified for our sins so we could be made right with God and have a relationship with him.

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 06:16 PM
Wolfdancer i dont think you really mean that cuase i think your just saying that so i will not bring the evolution/creation post up and if it offends you and others then i will not post it.If the majority of people dont want this kind of debate then i will not post.I have 1 question i have to ask though.Why do you go to the post if you know its going to offend you?Also you can not except Christ and live the way you want making up your own rules.Part of excepting Christ is loving him and when you love someone you do your best to please them.If your going to except Christ then you need to really except him.Im not just talking to wolfdancer here but to all that this applies.

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 06:48 PM
Thx for the websight DeathKnell!I may end up posting the evolution/creation post there.

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 06:52 PM
Thx for the sight Wolfdancer!Boy someones an artist!That picture is cool.

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 07:15 PM
Thx SPetty ill check that sight out!

Popcorn
04-23-2005, 07:22 PM
I have no religious beliefs at all but it seems it would make more sense to post on a forum that has something to do with religion rather then a pool site where ten people may read it and seven could care less. Those threads always consist of like three people continually posting. Reminds me of discussions I used to suffer through when I was in the bar business. Religious people talking are about the same as a bunch of drunks all trying to get in the last word. I never get a sense of any real sincerity from any of these people, just people bent on forcing others to see things their way. Who really cares, believe what you want, why the obsession with pushing it on everybody else? no offense.

GreenLion
04-23-2005, 07:52 PM
Its easy for christians to get argumentitive with someone who believes differantly becuase we not only want that person to except Jesus but we want to know that we were succesful in what we said.Its not right for us to do that and if someone is refusing to see the truth then talking to them further about it does no good at all and it just delelopes into a power struggle.Jesus wants us to get his message out but he wants us to do it with grace.Ive come along way but it hard for me to except what another person says if i know its not true.Im still sorta pridefull and its very hard to break this kind of pride becuase i want to know that i said what needed to be said.I need to work on that so im sry if i sounded like I was forcing the issue.Im willing to except those that choose not to follow Christ, its just hard too.

Popcorn
04-23-2005, 11:08 PM
I'm not being a wise guy or anything and I am sure most who are religious and get a real sense of well-being or pleasure out of it, if those are the right words, may very well find it hard to not want to share with others how much it has done for them. I stand in a line at a grocery store and see someone in front of me with a bunch of junk in their basket and they look like they weigh 230 pounds. You honestly would like to say, "Please don't buy all that junk, let me show you how you can eat better, shop better and live healthier" but you just can't. The best you can do is to be the best person you can yourself and you have improved the world by at least the percentage you represent. Not for any reason to be an example or to inspire but because it is the right way to be. Do good work, don't live your life at the expense of others and leave the world a little better place for you having been in it. If you do this it doesn't matter what you believe. Please understand, I don't not believe on purpose. It's not a cause or a mission and I respect anyone's belief and right to believe what they wish. I just don't believe, not even in a fox hole or being shot at in a jungle, when every scared person grasps at what ever straw they can find. I just am who I am and if I am condemned for that I can't help it, I am just being honest. I hope those who say they believe are being as honest as I am. It would be funny in the end to find out that the honest non believer who is a good person without being coerced into it by a religious doctrine, found their way into heaven. While the so called believer who thought they had a free pass by professing belief find a sign at the gate saying, "No hypocrites allowed".

Thunderduck
04-24-2005, 12:13 AM
Everyone knows Jesus could run racks with the best of em...

Sorry, couldnt resist!

Quack!

wolfdancer
04-24-2005, 02:18 AM
Scott, ....we did just have a long thread on evolution Vs creationism.....nothing was pointed out there that would change anybody's mind....I'd suggest that you read through the thread...especially Highsea's replies.
I was kidding you about using "except" when you meant "accept"
And while you must mean well, I'm not sure this is the forum, to win people over to the Lord.
It seems though that we have quite a group of Christian pool players here, and maybe there should be a seperate forum to share your beliefs......but I'm not advocating any censureship.....others may enjoy the idea of pool and religion...Tom Rossman and Mike Massey both promote that.

GreenLion
04-24-2005, 03:45 PM
Popcorn i agree that my actions should do my talking and to only talk when asked why I act the way I do and i generaly do that now.I really do try to live for Christ and i don't mean to make it sound like I'm on a higher level then everyone else.Im the same as you and everyone else on this forum and the only differance is that some on here have accepted Christ and some have not.In other words the only differance between a saved and a non saved person is the fact that the saved have been saved by grace and the unsaved have yet to accept that grace and thats all.Id go into it alittle further but i don't think you want me to so ill just leave it at that.Wolfdancer i will post that on the suggestions forum so thx for telling me who supports Pool and religion

DrDraw
04-29-2005, 09:51 AM
Hey thank you for that encouraging post...You sound like the kinda person who i would enjoy being around. I never meant this post to be one to spark a debate about beliefs..everybody's got a right to serve whoever they want to. I will be the first to say, I have a long way to go, but at least I am real enough to stand up for what I believe in. I refuse to slam another person's opinion via e-mail...I just wondered if anybody else had an opinion about seeing a preacher ( and knowing he is a preacher)playing pool. I have had my ministry challenged because of this, and the minute that anyone can offer sound scriptural advise to the contrary...I will hang up my cue and never look back...

DrDraw
05-02-2005, 06:55 AM
thanks for clarifying that up for me...I can see how my wording can be mis-interpreted. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
People will hear what they want to hear...

DrDraw
05-02-2005, 06:58 AM
Thanks SPetty for your non-judgemental reply. you are a true visionary. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DrDraw
05-02-2005, 07:00 AM
Thank you kindly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

DrDraw
05-02-2005, 07:08 AM
STFU
<hr /></blockquote>
It is real easy to disrespect another person when you are not face to face. I am in no way "as" Christ, but I try to keep my behaviour aspects in line with scriptural teachings.
I have learned that people only use insulting words when they cannot find the proper use of positive words to articulate what they want to say.

Rackin_Zack
05-02-2005, 03:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote GreenLion:</font><hr> Wolfdancer i dont think you really mean that cuase i think your just saying that so i will not bring the evolution/creation post up and if it offends you and others then i will not post it.If the majority of people dont want this kind of debate then i will not post.I have 1 question i have to ask though.Why do you go to the post if you know its going to offend you?Also you can not except Christ and live the way you want making up your own rules.Part of excepting Christ is loving him and when you love someone you do your best to please them.If your going to except Christ then you need to really except him.Im not just talking to wolfdancer here but to all that this applies. <hr /></blockquote>

Actually you can except Christ and live the way you want. I know I have...lol. However, if you accept Christ it may be a bit more difficult, at least within the guidelines of Christian morality. Then again, there's an acception to every rule...or is it exception?! Words are so darn confusing!