PDA

View Full Version : Is this Bogus?

SplinterHands
04-22-2005, 08:12 AM
Here's the scenario. The room owner where I play let one of his employees put a used Gold Crown she bought in place of one of his Gandys. The GC is covered with simonis and plays much better than his Gandys, which are covered with Championship. Her Gold Crown is reserved for "Players", but is needing new cloth. She wants to put 860 on it, but the room owner refuses and told her to put Championship on it. His reasoning is so illogical, it's difficult to put into words. Something about their 14.1 league players and tournament players having to adjust to different conditions. He also said he missed balls in a tournament because the cloth was different. Keep in mind, this guy is a pool idiot and can barely run 2 balls, let alone 3. The whole idea behind putting her GC in there was to have a good table to play on, because who wants to play on Gandys? It's her table and since it is reserved for better players, I think she should cover it with what she wants. What do you think?

Leviathan
04-22-2005, 09:12 AM
I think it's the room owner's prerogative to have the fabric he prefers on any table in his room. I think it's the table owner's prerogative to take her table home if she doesn't want it covered as the room owner prefers. Also, the principals are adults; why not let them deal with their problems without outside interference? Sounds like you're getting into something that's not your business--and adding fuel to a very small fire that should be allowed to burn itself out.

AS

Popcorn
04-22-2005, 09:26 AM
Seems the owner wants the same cloth on all the tables. Nothing wrong with that.

SplinterHands
04-22-2005, 09:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Also, the principals are adults; why not let them deal with their problems without outside interference? Sounds like you're getting into something that's not your business--and adding fuel to a very small fire that should be allowed to burn itself out. <hr /></blockquote>

Well, if your main experience with pool is playing on bar table cloth with a Miller Light emblem plastered in the middle, I can see how you might not understand this issue. This table is meant for...well you wouldn't understand so I won't waste the keystrokes. Anybody else?

Wally_in_Cincy
04-22-2005, 09:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> Well, if your main experience with pool is playing on bar table cloth with a Miller Light emblem plastered in the middle, I can see how you might not understand this issue. This table is meant for...well you wouldn't understand so I won't waste the keystrokes. Anybody else? <hr /></blockquote>

rudeness will get you nowhere mr scissorhands. you asked for opinions.

play nice or we will send you to the pool hall preacher for counseling

SplinterHands
04-22-2005, 09:42 AM
Yes I did, Wally. But they didn't agree with me. I'll keep an eye out for the pool hall preacher. My game could use a tune-up. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Cane
04-22-2005, 09:44 AM
My opinion, it's the room owners choice. His room, his choice, there should be no argument over it.

Later,
Bob

Barbara
04-22-2005, 09:45 AM
Who's paying for the cloth and the work? They should be the one making the decision.

Barbara

tateuts
04-22-2005, 10:00 AM
The championship worsted cloth and simonis are almost identical. However, if he wants to install the cheap crap championship cloth, then I would defintely agree with her. But if it's the tournament cloth, I honestly can't tell the difference if they're stretched properly.

It's her table but his room. I think they are both being unreasonable and deserve each other. Simonis 860 and Championship Tour Edition cloths are both just great surfaces as far as I'm concerned.

By the way, I was asking Ernesto Dominguez about good deals on new tables that he liked. Besides being a pro caliber player, he's one of the leading table mechanics in the country. For the money, he likes Gandy's.

Chris

SplinterHands
04-22-2005, 10:40 AM
She's paying for the cloth and work. Part of the reason this is bogus is the room owner could care less about "Pool Players". He is more concerned about the bar. I know that's where the money is but, as a "Pool Room Owner" he should care a little more about players. Also, it's covered with a "reserved" sign on it when nobody is playing. If you saw the way he cares for his Gandy's you might see where I'm coming from. If he was smart, he'd let her put simonis on it to keep the good players there. I think there's a Master instructor out there telling him that Simonis is junk.

Bob_Jewett
04-22-2005, 10:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr>... rudeness will get you nowhere mr scissorhands. ... <hr /></blockquote>
Yes, SH should remember:

You can get more with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone.
-Al Capone

pooltchr
04-22-2005, 05:58 PM
Let's see...a room full of Gandys now has one GC added to the mix, and the concern is whether Championship or Simonis cloth should be used so they will play the same??????? Does anyone beside me think someone hasn't noticed the elephant in the room???????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Even with the same cloth, how many Gandys have you played on that played like a GC?????
Steve

SplinterHands
04-23-2005, 05:21 AM
Here's another example of how this room owner thinks. He used to cover his tables with Mali cloth and charged $3.60/hour. When it came time to change cloth he had two of them covered with Championship and the rest with Mali. He then raised the rate on the two "Magical Simonis-Like Cloth" tables to $5.00/hour. This was to compensate for the "huge" difference in price. In the meantime he's screwing his best pool playing customers because those two tables get the most use. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif