PDA

View Full Version : Seeking practical explanation of Houle's method

Leviathan
04-24-2005, 05:37 AM
I'd like to play around with Hal Houle's aiming method, but I haven't found a written explanation of it that's clear enough and detailed enough to be useful. Can anyone tell me where to find a practical, authoritative explanation of the method?

Thanks,
AS

woody_968
04-24-2005, 08:58 AM
From what I have heard, people that work with Hal have an understanding with him to not try and explain it on the internet. I have tried contacting Hal myself but have been unable to get a response.

Woody

Billy_Bob
04-24-2005, 09:05 AM
Actually there is a limited number of aiming options for various angles of cut shots.

You can aim from the center of the cue ball to different spots on the object ball. Or you can aim from the edge of the cue ball to different spots on the object ball.

On the object ball, to can aim at the center, to right of center, to the left/right of the edge, to the edge, etc.

I would suggest using a protractor and setting up about 10 different cut shot angles, place stickers on the table so you can hit the same shots again and again.

Then you will see with each angle that you can aim a certain way and always make the shot. Simple as that.

Now the only problem with this is you can't carry around a protractor when playing to figure out the angle.

Also I tried aiming for every shot during a BCA tournament where I had to play 5 games. I made some remarkable shots for my first three games. Then I became exhausted! I couldn't aim any more because my brain was worn out with all that aiming. I then proceeded to lose my last two games, missing a lot of shots.

So aiming works, but you need to know the angle. And you should reserve aiming for difficult shots only so you don't wear yourself out. Best to use muscle memory for most shots...