PDA

View Full Version : How much english can a good player apply?

Leviathan
04-24-2005, 09:09 AM
How far can a highly skilled player swing this one--to A, B, C, D, past D?

START(
%AN7O5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pa4O3%Qr4Z3%Rr9U1%S r7Q5%Tr7N0
%Ur2M9%Va4C8%Wa4D8%Xa3N5%Yr2Y7%Za4C7%[r4U1%\a4C8%]r1Q1%^a4C7
%eC9a4
)END

Wei table: http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

AS

Billy_Bob
04-24-2005, 10:17 AM
My limit is "A", but that is miscue territory. The most I would ever attempt would be to go two diamonds over. (One tip of english for each diamond over is what I have been told...)

nAz
04-24-2005, 10:51 AM
I can probably get to B, but i will need to shoot it with a closed bridge (FEELS MORE COMFORTABLE FOR ME) and a fairly soft smooth stroke. like a 3C player, with the slow speed the english should catch better.
Later today i will try it out to see how far i can get.

tateuts
04-24-2005, 11:04 AM
I can only get it to go to "B" if I jack up and give it a little swerve. That's with good rails.

Chris

Rod
04-24-2005, 11:34 AM
Never tried it but B is about the limit with some swerve as you said. Course a little masse', and D is easily reachable. LOL Those shots are dependent on table conditions, on new slick cloth, getting to B is a tall order. Even A is a bit beyond it's natural right english angle on many tables.

Rod

One
04-24-2005, 01:36 PM
It depends on the rails and cloth.

Level cue

New cloth: B
Old cloth: C

On that diagram there is a slight angle where cueball hits cushion, even 1 mm angle is a big difference. If you would hit the cushion perfectly straight:

Perfectly straight to cushion Level cue

New cloth: Between A and B
Old cloth: Between B and C

BigRigTom
04-24-2005, 07:16 PM
I got to A with out too much trouble.
I got about 1/4 past A toward B and it became a pretty iffy situation...Best conditions and Highest skill should get between B&C but I doubt most people would attempt that in a game...too much risk of miscue.

Perk
04-25-2005, 11:36 AM
C

Fairly easy. Soft stroke, and medium.

A and B if hit firm.

BigRigTom
04-25-2005, 11:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> C

Fairly easy. Soft stroke, and medium.

A and B if hit firm.

<hr /></blockquote>

Did you actually try this?
If you can do what you say I would really love to see the video....you are a heck of a lot better than I am!

ras314
04-25-2005, 11:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Course a little masse', and D is easily reachable. LOL
Rod <hr /></blockquote>
A LITTLE masse'? Best I can do is a little past C. And now I've got little white spots on my nice clean 860. Ugh.

Not quite to A with as level a cue as possible and no draw is all I can do.

Perk
04-25-2005, 12:00 PM
Yes. Tried it many times last night. The smoother the stroke, the more you can spin it. Good stroke speed = a good result. I couldnt get it any farther though. It was fairly consistent with each shot.

I dont claim to be good at this game, but this was easy.

BigRigTom
04-25-2005, 12:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> Yes. Tried it many times last night. The smoother the stroke, the more you can spin it. Good stroke speed = a good result. I couldnt get it any farther though. It was fairly consistent with each shot.

I dont claim to be good at this game, but this was easy. <hr /></blockquote>

I would still like to see that!
I have a Brunswick Professional 8 Foot table with Championship Ultra, a Viking 19.5 ounce cue with a medium hard LePro Tip (nickle shaped). Using a 2.25 diameter Aramith Red Circle cue ball.
The only way I could get between B &amp; C was with a Masse and getting to D would be a fluke or miscue IMO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Bob_Jewett
04-25-2005, 04:54 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> How far can a highly skilled player swing this one--to A, B, C, D, past D? ... <hr /></blockquote>
Try this experiment: Set the cue ball spinning in place with as many RPM as you can arrange. Knock it with another ball slowly straight into the cushion. That's the best that can be done on most tables. It's about a 45-degree angle of rebound. It's hard to do that with a level cue stick and no trick.

With a masse shot, it's easy to brush the rail and hit at what would be G.

Steve - Detroit
04-25-2005, 06:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr>
With a masse shot, it's easy to brush the rail and hit at what would be G. <hr /></blockquote>

That's G as in God,........right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif