PDA

View Full Version : Suggestions on making this shot.(see wei table)

BigRigTom
04-24-2005, 10:57 AM
I had to coach one of my team mates who is an APA Skill Level 4 on this shot. The wei table shows the set up and I recommended low left with a soft touch hitting the rail directly behind the 8.

START(
%Dq3Z4%Er9H8%FX6J8%GW9R8%Ho1Y6%In9D9%Pl9Y2%Wn6[0%Xm3Y8%Yr7W6
%Zo4[4%eC1b1
)END

He almost made it but the cue ball came off the rail and touched the 8.
Note that the amount of room between the 8 and the rail is only about 1 & 1/2 ball.
I believe my teammate hit the cue ball a little too hard which caused more rebound off the rail. I set the shot up on my table at home and while it is a difficult shot....it is still makeable with low left and a soft touch.
Any suggestions on explaining this to a player in a more understandable fashion?

Rod
04-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Really, at certain skill levels, on a one time basis it can be difficult. I'd just explain by shooting very slow with low left it lengthens the angle. Low isn't as critical but left at the correct speed certainly is. Just say to much speed and it rebounds to quick, by not getting full effect of the english.

It's easy to show afterwards why speed is critical.

Sometimes a persons skill level it may be to much to ask as well. Another option could have been, tap the 8 next to the 4, then have a safety battel. Who knows, you were in the best position to make the decision.

Rod