PDA

View Full Version : Pocket reducers

06-07-2002, 06:20 AM
I bought some pocket reducers the other day, man what a purchase. I believe, of all the things I have purchased for pool, this is indeed the best thing. Over the years I developed a bad habit of playing pocket speed to make up for my less than accurate shotmaking. I would say, out of ten straight shots, I would slop about 6 in. Well, with pocket reducers, you can forget that jack. On a normal table with normal pockets, two balls can fall in the pocket side by side. With pocket reducers, only one ball can pass. The first month was the worst. I couldn't find center and this thing just kept spitting balls back at me.I think I spent an average of an hour on just straight shots, fifteen balls. I was almost ready to give up when the day before yesterday turned out to be breakthrough day. I can see the shot more clearly now. What once was a butting ritual of at least 6 to 10 missess per ball has been cut down to a shot made every other ball or two.
Has anyone else got pocket reducers? I won't say the brand here, but I'm sure this a common training device so they must have competition. Do you feel they help your game or hurt your confidence? I know my confidence was rock bottom for a month.

Doctor_D
06-07-2002, 06:42 AM
Good morning:

I have been using pocket reducers, especially when I can not practice on a Triple Shimmed Table, for almost a year now. They are awesome!

Dr. D.

06-09-2002, 01:20 AM
Man i like to play on chaleging tables but these things sound like complete frustration. We have a Diamond in the room i play at ,and i probably need to play on it more, because it teaches you finesse and pocket speed, and forces you to play tighter shape and angulate better.
Just exactly how much space is left over after you put these reducers in to the pocket? You said only enough room for one ball but surely not only 2 1/2 inches left. If that were the case you would have trouble shooting them in straight in front of the pocket. I used to warm up with a friend for a league by playing 9-ball on a snooker table, and that was a challenge. Where can you order a set of these from?

Lewie

TomBrooklyn
06-09-2002, 02:16 AM
Sometimes I play Russian pool in Brighton Beach, the Little Odessa section of Brooklyn. You don't need pocket reducers on those tables ...the hole is only about 1/8" bigger than the balls, think of it like triple shimmed snooker pockets, but the balls are bigger, bigger even than pool balls. The Russian tables are good for refining accuracy, but not too good for speed control as virtually all shots are hit hard to force the ball through because at soft and medium speed the ball will usually kick out if it touches the sides of the pocket.

Chris Cass
06-09-2002, 08:07 AM
Hi Kahn,

I tried getting a set awhile back but just forgot about it. There a great idea for building ones concentration. Confidence is also a key thing to this game. Making balls and running balls. Practicing with both type pockets make a player well versed in playing under most conditions. The best thing about the pocket protectors is, they can come out and you can take them with anywhere you go.IMO Speed control is another major factor too.

Rgeards,

C.C.~~Dr. D. just knocked her own action. HAHAHA Triple shimmed! wow

WaltVA
06-09-2002, 09:12 AM
Lewie - You can order these from www.billiardsexpress.com (http://www.billiardsexpress.com) for $31.50 per set of six (Mueller's has them for $34.95) They are advertised as reducing the pocket area about 30%; they really are great for sharpening your concentration! My team bought a set for practice, and they keep you from "relaxing" on easier shots; you tend to focus on everything with them.

Walt in VA

06-09-2002, 01:07 PM
Where is this place and what is it called?

06-12-2002, 08:20 AM
Lewie, WaltVa is correct. They reduce the standard pocket size by 30%. And he is also correct in saying that they force you to concentrate. What I noticed was that on the easy shots or shots that I deem easy, I was missing like crazy. What I was doing was relaxing. Because during regular play, especially when playing for cash, I tended to give my mind a rest on harder shots, so as not to get mentally tired to quick. I'll be honest, they are a regular pain in the ass. And cutting balls in on the short rail is particularly difficult because it seems the pocket is even smaller from that angle. Next lovely thing is, pocket speed is irrelevant. If you don't hit dead center, the balls is coming right back at you. I love it man. When you finally start hitting, the feeling that overcomes you is a feeling I know most players strive for. To the individual who wants to play full games. Yes, you can't shoot from out of a corner because they inhibit the stroke. But all you have to do is remove the reducer from the pocket you are shooting from. Takes a little more effort but the reward man, the reward is awesome. I'm getting goose bumps just thinking about my progress. Hope some of you are convinced to buy some. The only thing I do not recommend is practicing with them before a serious match. Because missing with pocket reducers does not equate to missing on a regular table, so you don't want to mess with your confidence right before a serious match. Before a match you want your confidence to be at its peek.
Hope this helped tell me something when you get them.