PDA

View Full Version : Aiming for the "Shine"

SplinterHands
04-24-2005, 03:57 PM
A good player in town once told me to aim for the "shine" one the one ball when breaking. He was referring to the very top reflection from the table lights. Has anybody heard of this? I normally aim for where the one touches the table, but yesterday I tried aimining for the "shine" and had good results. Does the very top reflection give you a dead center point to aim for since the table lights are dirctly over the one ball?

1Time
04-25-2005, 02:29 AM
No, the shine on the ball should be completely ignored. You were told wrong.

Billy_Bob
04-25-2005, 05:33 AM
Yes that is a method of aiming. I learned about this and thought about it, but realized that lighting varies above tables in different rooms. So I never have used the system since I can't use it everywhere I play.

Deeman2
04-25-2005, 06:12 AM
Several old timers used to swear by "shooting the lights" but I found my aim to be a better system not dependent on light position, ect. That being said, I'm sure this could be very effective in golf and and ongoing ring games where geezers play the same table for year after year. I know of a few places in the south where one pocket players would beat you t death if a table was moved, walls painted (marked for banks, kicks, etc.)

If you need system, just learn to aim....

Deeman
believes UFO lights are more reliable....

wolfdancer
04-25-2005, 12:47 PM
you ain't "shining" us on are you.....?
the old timers used to aim at the intersection of the two shadows that the lights made...when I first began playing
only "worked" for that table
but the "spot on the wall"....you can take that with you...

Wally_in_Cincy
04-25-2005, 12:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> ...golf and and ongoing ring games where geezers play the same table for year after year. I know of a few places in the south where one pocket players would beat you t death if a table was moved, walls painted (marked for banks, kicks, etc.)
<hr /></blockquote>

reminds me of the post where the pool hall owner would not let that gal put simonis on her own table /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Bob_Jewett
04-25-2005, 05:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> A good player in town once told me to aim for the "shine" one the one ball when breaking. ... <hr /></blockquote>
An instructor named Ron Vitello has a very extensive booklet that describes using the lights on the balls for various ways to aim different angles. See the June 2004 issue of Billiards Digest for a brief description of one shot and some possible other uses of reflections on the balls.

In the case of the break shot, I assume you mean for breaking from the side, and then the light may or may not be in the right place to get you a centered hit on the one ball. If you break from the center, the light is almost certainly in the right place.

For extra credit: where does the light have to be to give a reflection that looks centered on the one ball? (If someone can't answer this question, it's probably a bad idea for him to try to use reflections to aim, except on very specific shots.)

wolfdancer
04-25-2005, 06:21 PM
Bob, at the old Park Bowl on Haight St (....that great street, I just want to say, they do things they don't do on Broadway)
sorry, I get carried away...
The aim point was the intersection of the two shadows....since I knew nothing about pool, even less about shadows...this did not help me.
I miss the Park Bowl...the world's "easiest" alleys....once bowled 255/256 in two games....it didn't matter if I hit the pocket right, left, or center...think I got one strike without hitting the head pin
If only pool were so simple...........

DickLeonard
04-26-2005, 06:25 AM
Deeman the Gold C 1 had round shims to level that table and if you ever saw a 5ft 6 120 lb drop his chalk under the table and raise the table and remove a stack before you could get back from the rest room you wouldn't believe it. Most tables were leveled off not on, I would just level the table.####

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> Deeman the Gold C 1 had round shims to level that table and if you ever saw a 5ft 6 120 lb drop his chalk under the table and raise the table and remove a stack before you could get back from the rest room you wouldn't believe it. Most tables were leveled off not on, I would just level the table.#### <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> LOL, Dick, that would be frustrating....I do rememebr some old timers talking about people sticking straight pin sin the cushions near the cormners in one hole so the balls would die into the pocket on loosly hit banks....

Deeman </font color>
was not allowed to have sharp objects at that age...

tateuts
04-26-2005, 01:23 PM
On my break shot, I try to imagine the cueball bouncing right back as me. That's how I aim.

Chris