PDA

View Full Version : What sport was it?????????

cheesemouse
06-07-2002, 07:13 AM
What sport was it that taught you the most valuable lessons that now help you the most with your pool game? What were those lessons you now apply to your pool game? Cute storys and philosophical treatises welcome. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif The sport of my youth that taught me the most was pole vaulting. LOL It taught me a love for individual sport and how hard you have to work to be your best.

Doctor_D
06-07-2002, 07:26 AM
Good morning:

In my personal case it was not a sport which provided the discipline and/or the motivation to improve my game and abilities. Working full time, which included travel to client locations and educational seminars and symposiums where I was speaking as a faculty member, and working for my MBA in Finance and Ph.D. in Economics forced me to maximize my time as well as to develop the ways and means to cut through the fluff to find the meat and substance of what it was that I needed to learn. With regards to the development of my pool game, I do not have the luxury of being able to commit time to practice on a daily basis. As such I must concentrate my efforts into Three (3) intense practice sessions each week. Drawing on the discipline and skills acquired and learned while pursing my post graduate and doctoral work has helped me remain focused and committed to a discipline and regimen which has worked for me. All of this; coupled with a very healthy dose of Obsessive, Compulsive Behavior and a touch on insanity has benefited me greatly at the pool table.

Dr. D.

Rich R.
06-07-2002, 07:46 AM
I can't pin-point it to one sport, but lessons learned playing sports in general, can certainly be applied to playing pool.
I played a number of sports in my youth and I had some very good coaches along the way. They taught me to always give my best effort. Some days your effort may be better than others, but always give the best you have that day. The most important lesson they taught me, is that as long as the game is going on, you still have a chance to win. Like Yogi said, "It ain't over, until it's over." I never consider myself out of a game until my opponent pockets the winning ball.
Also, never let your opponent know what you are thinking.
Rich R.~~~always waits for the fat lady to sing.

stickman
06-07-2002, 08:00 AM
Archery is the sport that provided me with the most important lesson that applies to my pool game. I found that in archery, to be able to compete with the best, you must be willing to dedicate yourself to countless hours of practice.

Jay M
06-07-2002, 08:05 AM
Competition Rifle Marksmanship for aiming and breathing/rythm techniques

Table Tennis taught me not to bend my wrist on the stroke. (it HURTS to break (bend) your wrist in table tennis when played properly so you learn REALLY quickly)

Jay M

MikeM
06-07-2002, 10:14 AM
As I was trying to think back to what sports have inspired me all I could think of was the injuries. Let's see...I've played organized baseball, soccer, football, basketball, volleyball, softball and rugby. I was also a serious runner for a few years (two marathons, three half marathons and numerous shorter races).

I can blame the two knee surgeries on soccer and running, the back surgery on running and softball, the loose shoulder joint on rugby, the torn rotator cuff on softball, the torn elbow ligament on skiing, the sciatic (sp?) nerve problems on running and the chronic patellar tendinitis on all of them. All of this has led me to the pool table, which other than a sore back from all the racking seems to be pretty safe, so far.

MM...somebody pass the Advil

Mr Ingrate
06-07-2002, 12:23 PM
I would have to say shuffleboard, though some would say it isn't a sport. During the construction of the Yellowhead Highway (during my youth) I worked for the department of Highways in Valemont, BC. The local bar was populated with lumberjacks, construction workers, and indians from the reservation just out of town. I was a very good shuffleboard player and won more than my share. The biggest lesson it taught me was to be a gracious winner and buy a round for my opponents every once in awhile. It also taught me to not be talking when I should be listening.

These skills are an absolute necessary when you walk into a strange pool hall.

Rod
06-07-2002, 04:51 PM
Cheese, thinking about that I'd say there were a few factors. I dealt with precision, as in machining and reading various instruments. Close wasn't good enough. That may have carried over to my pool game. My senior speech taught me more than I imagined. But related to sports, any game that takes good hand eye cordination. I was involved with Archery for a while, and I always liked to shoot pistols or rifles. Casting that lure in the exact spot helped. I even won some casting contests for distance and accuracy. The one that stands out the most however is a bull whip. Being able to cut a single leaf off a tree aiming at the stem, or cut a cig in half in a persons mouth.
Very few people would volunteer for that though. One time I did make a mistake and caught my friend on his lip, OUCH!!
It left a big welt on him and made me feel bad to say the least. I let my friend down that trusted me, and I may have been a little careless. No matter how good we think we are, there is always another lesson to be learned. Lessons in life can be a very humbling experience.

~~~ rod thinks he needed to be smooth with more control, hey Lucky Strike didn't have a filter, lol hope this helps

Tom_In_Cincy
06-07-2002, 04:58 PM
Baseball, I learned how to practice and how important practice was.

I also applied this to my studies in high school and college. It just naturally kept going to anything I tried to do, pool included. Practice.

06-07-2002, 06:49 PM
This is going to sound a little weird, but Equestrian sports helped me a lot. Three feet doesn't sound that high until you're galloping at it on the back of a horse (Who may or may not decide to jump it!). You very quickly learn stillness, courage, strength, and trust! The trust comes into play for both your ability and the horse's. You also learn to focus beyond the goal (Look at the object ball, not the cue ball/ Look at the next fence, not the one you're jumping) This is one of those ones that you can't explain, but there actually are a lot of parallels between horsemanship and pool. Not getting on a horse and going for a trail ride, but actually learning how to ride properly. My windows are covered in show ribbons from riding, may the sills soon be covered in trophies from shooting! /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
06-07-2002, 08:53 PM
It doesn't surprize me that you mentioned TRUST. This word is one of my 3 words to play pool by.

I TRUST what I am about to do and ACCEPT the results, and always go thru my pre-shot ROUTINE.