PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket rule question

BillPorter
04-25-2005, 02:08 PM
In trying to settle an argument about one-pocket rules at the local pool hall, I just finished doing a little Internet research. I was a bit surprised to notice one discrepancy as I went from one web site to another. Some versions of the rules state that on the break, at least one OBJECT BALL must hit a rail. The BCA site and the Brunswick site both state this. On the other hand, most sources state that EITHER AN OBJECT BALL OR THE CUE BALL must hit a rail after the cue ball has contacted an object ball. I think this second version is most often used in tournaments, but I have only played in one one-pocket tournament (Derby City). Does anyone know FOR SURE which version of the rules would be used in major tournaments and/or matched between top players? How would Efren and Cliff be playing? Thanks in advance for any help.

PQQLK9
04-25-2005, 02:22 PM
On the break only one object ball is required to contact a rail. The Cue Ball does not need to contact a rail on the break. *

*Upscale One-Pocket by Jack H. Koehler Pg.6

Vagabond
04-25-2005, 02:23 PM
Howdy,
NOT the BCA rule.Please go to onepocket.org.This group framed new set of rules and these will be the future.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
04-25-2005, 02:24 PM
OnePocket.org (http://onepocket.org/one_pocket_pool_rules.htm)
These rules were a work in progress from the members and especially the orgainizer of OnePocket.org Steve Booth.

The BCA rarely holds a One Pocket tournament, IMO the BCA just has a set of rules to refer to as a bonus for selling their product.

Texas Express One Pocket rules are better than either but not as good as the OnePocket.org's rules. I wasn't able to find a working link to the Texas Express rules.

From the One Pocket.org site for rules;

2.2 The opening break begins with ball in hand behind the head string. On the break, the cue ball may contact either a cushion or any ball in the rack first, but in either case, after contacting at least one ball, an object ball must be pocketed, or the cue ball or at least one object ball must contact a rail, otherwise it is a one foul penalty. As long as a legal stroke is employed from behind the head string on the break, the incoming player must play the balls where they lie there are no re-racks for a pocket scratch or failure to contact a cushion or pocket a ball on the break.

Bob_Jewett
04-25-2005, 05:11 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> ...
From the One Pocket.org site for rules;

2.2 The opening break begins with ball in hand behind the head string.... <hr /></blockquote>

I think it would have been easier to simply say that the break shot is treated just like any other shot as far as rail contact is concerned. If you want to just barely wiggle a corner ball and send the cue ball back to the head rail, that's perfectly fine, but not very aggressive.

Troy
04-25-2005, 06:53 PM
Either an Object ball OR the Cue ball must hit a rail.
It's as simple as that... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> In trying to settle an argument about one-pocket rules at the local pool hall, I just finished doing a little Internet research. I was a bit surprised to notice one discrepancy as I went from one web site to another. Some versions of the rules state that on the break, at least one OBJECT BALL must hit a rail. The BCA site and the Brunswick site both state this. On the other hand, most sources state that EITHER AN OBJECT BALL OR THE CUE BALL must hit a rail after the cue ball has contacted an object ball. I think this second version is most often used in tournaments, but I have only played in one one-pocket tournament (Derby City). Does anyone know FOR SURE which version of the rules would be used in major tournaments and/or matched between top players? How would Efren and Cliff be playing? Thanks in advance for any help. <hr /></blockquote>

hondo
04-26-2005, 06:32 AM
Once you make CONTACT with a ball, cueball or another
ball must hit the rail.

BillPorter
04-26-2005, 07:57 AM
Thanks to all who have replied (hondo, Troy, Tom, Bob, Vagabond, and PQQLK9 so far)!!

From your responses and from my reading of the rules on several web sites, I am now convinced (that tournaments and top players DO NOT use the BCA rule requiring that AN OBJECT BALL touch a rail on the break. Whether the two dummies at the pool hall will be convinced remains to be seen later today. One of these guys steadfastly maintains that TWO object balls must hit a rail on the break. I guess he's thinking of straight pool (14.1) on that one. The other guy's delusions include the notion that the cue ball MUST hit a rail on the break. He's an old timer and claims that this is the way it was back in the days of the Johnson City tournaments (early 1960's). Oh well, the battle against ignorance is never ending, rarely appreciated, frustrating, and probably not worth the trouble in the long run. Thanks again guys!

hondo
04-27-2005, 06:21 AM
The old timer is confusing one pocket with straight
pool where the cue ball definitely had to hit the
rail after contact with the rack.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BillPorter:</font><hr> Thanks to all who have replied (hondo, Troy, Tom, Bob, Vagabond, and PQQLK9 so far)!!

From your responses and from my reading of the rules on several web sites, I am now convinced (that tournaments and top players DO NOT use the BCA rule requiring that AN OBJECT BALL touch a rail on the break. Whether the two dummies at the pool hall will be convinced remains to be seen later today. One of these guys steadfastly maintains that TWO object balls must hit a rail on the break. I guess he's thinking of straight pool (14.1) on that one. The other guy's delusions include the notion that the cue ball MUST hit a rail on the break. He's an old timer and claims that this is the way it was back in the days of the Johnson City tournaments (early 1960's). Oh well, the battle against ignorance is never ending, rarely appreciated, frustrating, and probably not worth the trouble in the long run. Thanks again guys! <hr /></blockquote>