PDA

View Full Version : Anyone in Las Vegas want a free pool lesson?

1Time
04-25-2005, 06:14 PM
Thanks to everyone who posted in my previous thread in which I offered free pool lessons.

I'm only available to give free pool lessons on any Friday or Saturday night in Las Vegas from 11:30pm for up to two hours. Any level of player is welcome. Must be at least 18 with valid ID (curfew law).

I've been playing pool for 25+ years. My favorite thing to do is run a 9-ball rack. I'm looking forward to giving free pool lessons pretty much just for the fun of it. No matter what your favorite game is, chances are you'll benefit from even just one short lesson.

Play for only a few minutes or as long as you like; just pay for your time on the table and I will pay for mine. I prefer playing at The Cue Club, but anywhere you like in town is fine. Post for questions and discussion, or send me a personal message (PM) with your choice of a date and location and I will reply to confirm.

1Time

1Time
04-29-2005, 07:04 PM
Bump

SplinterHands
05-01-2005, 05:09 PM
Are you BCA certified?

1Time
05-01-2005, 05:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> Are you BCA certified? <hr /></blockquote>

No, I am not BCA certified... but I did stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

PQQLK9
05-01-2005, 05:49 PM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

1Time
05-04-2005, 09:51 PM
Bump

Popcorn
05-04-2005, 10:20 PM
Are you getting anyone taking you up on it?

1Time
05-04-2005, 10:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Are you getting anyone taking you up on it? <hr /></blockquote>

So far only one guy said he would show but did not.

Eric.
05-05-2005, 11:26 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Are you getting anyone taking you up on it? <hr /></blockquote>

So far only one guy said he would show but did not. <hr /></blockquote>

I'll be in town from 5/13 thru 5/19. I'd be interested, if you want, PM me here.

Eric

Bob_Jewett
05-05-2005, 12:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> ...
I'll be in town from 5/13 thru 5/19. I'd be interested, if you want, PM me here. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I'll be in Las Vegas giving free lessons and/or demos at the BCA Nationals. Stop by the Gabriels table. The big, heated one without pockets. 19th-21st.

randyg
05-05-2005, 02:49 PM
BOB: Are you the big, heated one or is that the table???????See ya there.....SPF-randyg

Barbara
05-05-2005, 05:20 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> BOB: Are you the big, heated one or is that the table???????See ya there.....SPF-randyg <hr /></blockquote>

Randy,

Stop picking on my hero! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

Eric.
05-06-2005, 06:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> ...
I'll be in town from 5/13 thru 5/19. I'd be interested, if you want, PM me here. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I'll be in Las Vegas giving free lessons and/or demos at the BCA Nationals. Stop by the Gabriels table. The big, heated one without pockets. 19th-21st. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Bob,

Thanks for the invite, I'd love to stop by to meet you. I gotta see how my day goes, I fly out the afternoon of the 19th...

Eric

wolfdancer
05-06-2005, 07:38 AM
Free lessons....I knew it would catch on......when it hits the Bay Area....please sign me up......

1Time
05-11-2005, 02:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote wolfdancer:</font><hr> Free lessons....I knew it would catch on......when it hits the Bay Area....please sign me up...... <hr /></blockquote>

Actually, I don't recall reading that many other offers on this board for free pool lessons. I encourage the able to do so, for the good of the sport. As I would not yet consider this to be "catching on", wolfdancer, I hope you don't have to wait too long for your free pool lesson.

I've always been amazed at how reluctant most folks are to ask for or receive help with their pool game. I think most are looking for a mass marketed service, whether free or at a price. Still there are the few who sincerely respond to offers such as mine.

Scott Lee
05-11-2005, 09:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr>
Actually, I don't recall reading that many other offers on this board for free pool lessons. I encourage the able to do so, for the good of the sport. I've always been amazed at how reluctant most folks are to ask for or receive help with their pool game. I think most are looking for a mass marketed service, whether free or at a price. Still there are the few who sincerely respond to offers such as mine. <hr /></blockquote>

1 Time...It takes a certain kind of individual to seek out advice or instruction on anything that they believe they already do, even somewhat well. I have given many free lessons...I also make my living teaching pool, as well.
The majority of folks believe this, whether it is true or not (and, imo, it is frequently true)..."You get what you pay for." When you give someone something valueable for free, they generally do not place any value on it either!
Not saying you fit into this...just that most people think this way...and are often justified in that thought.

Good luck with your offer! There are several thousand poolplayers in Vegas this week. Surely some will take you up on your offer.

Scott Lee

Popcorn
05-11-2005, 10:08 AM
I think what he does falls more into the getting a beginning player started type of thing. Every pool room should have someone who can answer a question without the person asking feeling like an idiot or they are bothering someone or being laughed at. An in house instructor can be a real benefit to a pool room. He may certainly charge for lessons to the more serious players who seek it out but also help the beginners for free to get them started in what may turn out to be a lifetime endeavor. I can remember seeing people come in the room and begin looking confused as they are racking the balls at the wrong end of the table and see a player go over and help them out. Help them pick out a cue and show them how to rack the balls getting them started. It could be any player around the room, the newcomers may have no idea the guy showing them how to rack the balls is a world champion. They have to be made to feel welcome though, it can be very intimating for the non player to go into a real pool room. I think a comment like "You get what you pay for" is uncalled for. An in house instructor as I described does not need to be BCA certified to meet the needs of most players. They need to have an interest and a good proper understanding of the game. Most players just want to learn a little about the game and get a little better so they can have fun with their friends, they are not looking to be champions.

wolfdancer
05-11-2005, 12:58 PM
I think you have some good ideas on the subject....I think Scott meant that people equate price with quality.
After the earthquake in SF...I repaired the damage in an apt, and charged the owner, a friend, a rock-bottom price for my work....I had repaired cracks, installed new drywall in some areas, sanded, primed and painted, etc.
I didn't want to do the other identical apt for that price, so I begged off.
He was pleased when the second apt was done....they had itemized his bill to show the work....charged the crack repair by the inch, the drywall and painting by the sq. ft...and paid over 5 times my price. I couldn't see any dif in the quality of the workmanship, but I think he was 5 times happier with the second apt.
I'm conditioned to think that if I pay $50 for a pool lesson, it won't be as good as the guy charging $100, and if it's free....might not be worth my time???

1Time
05-13-2005, 12:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr>

Surely some will take you up on your offer.

<hr /></blockquote>

Eric did a few posts earlier. Thanks for your insights and help.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I think what he does falls more into the getting a beginning player started type of thing. <hr /></blockquote>

Players of any level are welcome.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>

Every pool room should have someone who can answer a question without the person asking feeling like an idiot or they are bothering someone or being laughed at. An in house instructor can be a real benefit to a pool room. He may certainly charge for lessons to the more serious players who seek it out but also help the beginners for free to get them started in what may turn out to be a lifetime endeavor. I can remember seeing people come in the room and begin looking confused as they are racking the balls at the wrong end of the table and see a player go over and help them out. Help them pick out a cue and show them how to rack the balls getting them started. It could be any player around the room, the newcomers may have no idea the guy showing them how to rack the balls is a world champion. They have to be made to feel welcome though, it can be very intimating for the non player to go into a real pool room. <hr /></blockquote>

I used to know a volunteer house instructor years ago, an older retired gentleman, George. He knew his stuff and was a "name" back in his day, but there just wasn't enough demand for his service to keep him busy for very long. The vast majority of players are bangers and don't want instruction. Of course I'm certainly no house instructor. I can barely make time to squeeze in a few hours of pool each weekend: 11:30pm - 1:30am, Friday and/or Saturday.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr>
I think a comment like "You get what you pay for" is uncalled for. An in house instructor as I described does not need to be BCA certified to meet the needs of most players. They need to have an interest and a good proper understanding of the game. Most players just want to learn a little about the game and get a little better so they can have fun with their friends, they are not looking to be champions. <hr /></blockquote>

I agree with Scott in that most folks value the idea that "You get what you pay for". After all, it's not every day you find a highly skilled pool player who also is willing and able to instruct others how to better their game... and for free. And like I said before, the vast majority of players don't want instruction. It's sad, but true.

Scott Lee
05-13-2005, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 1Time:</font><hr> The vast majority of players are bangers and don't want instruction.
It's sad, but true. <hr /></blockquote>

1Time...You are certainly right on this point! It's always amazing to me that someone (man or woman) will throw down $300-$1000+ for a pool cue, but don't think spending a fraction of that to learn how to correctly USE the cue is of any value! I love this quote from another instructor friend of mine: "They don't know what they don't know!"

Scott Lee