PDA

View Full Version : Gambling

SplinterHands
04-25-2005, 06:42 PM
For those who like to gamble, do you prefer playing sets, by the game, or to a pre-determined game-ahead match? Also, has anybody lost money (and confidence) to a player only to beat that person at a later date. This happened to me last week. I lost $100 to a guy a couple years ago (5 straight $20 sets). Last Thursday, I had my way with him in a per-game match. It was very nice erasing the demons and bad memories of that match from two years ago.

tateuts
04-25-2005, 07:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SplinterHands:</font><hr> For those who like to gamble, do you prefer playing sets, by the game, or to a pre-determined game-ahead match? Also, has anybody lost money (and confidence) to a player only to beat that person at a later date. This happened to me last week. I lost $100 to a guy a couple years ago (5 straight $20 sets). Last Thursday, I had my way with him in a per-game match. It was very nice erasing the demons and bad memories of that match from two years ago. <hr /></blockquote>

Some players will come looking for you as long as they think they have the edge, then the first time you beat them you never see them again. There was a road player that was hounding my buddy every week, and taking $100 or $200 off him. I said "the first time you beat him will be the last time you play". That's exactly what happened. How did I know? The guy did the same thing to me.

I like playing $50 to $100 sets, but I also like playing $10 a game. I just bet to "keep it interesting". I have no desire to win or lose money. It's not something I get excited about. Losing or winning money is more a matter of pride than anything else, so it adds some pressure to the game.

I don't like playing really cheap either - too boring.

Chris

catscradle
04-26-2005, 09:59 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote tateuts:</font><hr> ... I have no desire to win or lose money. It's not something I get excited about. Losing or winning money is more a matter of pride than anything else, so it adds some pressure to the game...
Chris <hr /></blockquote>

I don't bet on pool, but that's the way I feel about poker, betting is how you keep score. It's not the money, it's the winning and losing that matters. In pool I don't see any reason to bet because the winning and losing is independent of betting.

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 10:58 AM
Well said Chris....

Gambling, Donuts, Marge....ummmm

Deeman