PDA

View Full Version : I'm looking for info about Banks tactics

Leviathan
04-25-2005, 09:45 PM
Where can I find info about the tactics of Bank Pool (Banks)?

Thanks--AS

Billy
04-26-2005, 12:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Where can I find info about the tactics of Bank Pool (Banks)?

Thanks--AS <hr /></blockquote>

Kentucky

jmo

Wally_in_Cincy
04-26-2005, 05:49 AM
watch this

Brumback vs. Spaeth (http://www.accu-stats.com/Qstore/Qstore.cgi?CMD=011&amp;PROD=000476&amp;BACK=A0004A1)

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 07:07 AM
<hr /></blockquote>

Kentucky

jmo <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I remember a great California player (name excluded) in Memphis in about 1975 telling us that he was gonna swing up through Kentucky and show them how to play banks, then go down to Alabama and play Squirel a little one hole. A week later we heard he had to catch a bus from Owensboro back to L.A. I don't think he ever made it to Alabama...</font color>

Deeman

BigRigTom
04-26-2005, 12:53 PM
Being from Fort Payne, Al.....it is probably a good thing he didn't make it to Alabama.
He may not have been in any condition to take even a bus out of there to LA....he he /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Voodoo Daddy
04-27-2005, 09:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> Where can I find info about the tactics of Bank Pool (Banks)?

Thanks--AS <hr /></blockquote>

If your a reader I have a great suggestion. Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna has written a book about banks. It should be ready in a month or so. When I know its available, I'll post again.

Popcorn
04-27-2005, 09:26 AM
I think one major tactic in banks is to play position or not. You can't run 5 or 6 banks without playing some position. But if you are shooting a somewhat tough bank and playing position on an easy cross side, if you miss you leave the shot for the other player. It always seem to be running through your mind when you are shooting. I've played a lot of players who never seem to leave you much when they miss but you will generally beat them in the long run. They have a hard time beating you with any consistency never running more then one ball at a time because they worry too much about what they leave. They play with their foot on the break.

Leviathan
04-28-2005, 03:26 AM
Wally, Voodoo, Popcorn: Thanks for the good suggestions. Glad you brought up playing with a foot on the brake, Popcorn. I tend to do that when I play 9-Ball, especially against unfamiliar opponents. It's a problem for me, something I need to be aware of and work on. I'll be watching for Bentivegna's book, and Spaeth vs. Brumback ought to be helpful. Billy: I'm gonna stay away from Kentucky until I hear that those damn Kentuckians have learned to cook!

Thanks,
AS

rukiddingme
04-28-2005, 04:25 AM
Looking forward to the book's release!
I have not seen Freddy at Chris's Billiards for a while. It is always a treat to watch him play banks or 1 pocket.
ruk
PS..."Piggy Banks" is my hero.

sliprock
04-29-2005, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> <hr /></blockquote>

Kentucky

jmo <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue"> I remember a great California player (name excluded) in Memphis in about 1975 telling us that he was gonna swing up through Kentucky and show them how to play banks, then go down to Alabama and play Squirel a little one hole. A week later we heard he had to catch a bus from Owensboro back to L.A. I don't think he ever made it to Alabama...</font color>

Deeman <hr /></blockquote>

The thing about this story is the guy could've picked nearly any decent size city in the state and got busted. We have guy's in my local room that can't run 3 balls in rotation, but are subject to run 5 or 6 banks anytime they come to the table.

Leviathan
04-29-2005, 03:09 PM
'Lo, Sliprock. In east TN, where I live now, people in two-player games very often play short-rack banks (nine balls). I wonder what the practice is in your part of KY and in other areas--racks of 9, or racks of fifteen.

AS

sliprock
04-30-2005, 12:27 PM
It varies. You'll see most heads up games being short rack. If the bet gets higher,or I'm playing a real strong banker I prefer the full rack. We play lots of partner banks where the 1&amp;15 balls determine whose partners. Most of the lunch-time poolroom games are partner games that allow kick shots as long as you hit 3 or more rails prior to making your ball. If you play "kick-ins" a foul doesn't cost you a ball. I myself prefer what we call scratch bank where fouls cost you a ball and kicks aren't allowed.

Bob_Jewett
04-30-2005, 01:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> ... If your a reader I have a great suggestion. Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna has written a book about banks. It should be ready in a month or so. When I know its available, I'll post again. <hr /></blockquote>
I'm guessing it's available now. There were copies at the BCA Trade Show. Freddie was in a booth with Randy Givens who was selling his Eight Ball Bible.

Voodoo Daddy
04-30-2005, 01:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob_Jewett:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Voodoo Daddy:</font><hr> ... If your a reader I have a great suggestion. Freddy "The Beard" Bentivegna has written a book about banks. It should be ready in a month or so. When I know its available, I'll post again. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm guessing it's available now. There were copies at the BCA Trade Show. Freddie was in a booth with Randy Givens who was selling his Eight Ball Bible. <hr /></blockquote>

No Bob its not, he needed to make some additions &lt;somehow left out&gt; and didnt want to put out an unfinished product. More to come... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Popcorn
04-30-2005, 04:18 PM
I love bank pool it is one of my favorite games. It is also one of the most watchable games. I don't know how you would do it, but if you got it on TV the public would eat it up if they saw it played by top players.

Popcorn
04-30-2005, 05:37 PM
I would love to get that book when it's out be sure to post. I knew Freddy pretty good when he ran around with Suger Shack Johnny in the early 70's. Anyone know Suger Shack or if he is still alive? He was a legend back then.

Voodoo Daddy
05-02-2005, 07:30 AM
I dunno about the Shack Popcorn &lt;I'll ask Freddy&gt;, but I'll make sure you know when that book is ready, I alrady have several locals here VERY interested!!!