PDA

View Full Version : HELP-Scotch Doubles-Randy G.-anyone.....

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 06:11 AM
I ususally don't beg for help here, just try to keep up the irritation factor a bit. However, we are embarking on the SWEL Dallas tournaments on Thursday and need some help.

I have not played Scotch Doubles since about 1992 but have been practicing this week. I had assumed the rules were the same as back then. My interest is in the level of coaching/interaction between teamates during a match. Can both players aproach the table during a shot and discuss the next shot? Can you quietly discus the game while seated during your opponents inning?

I have visited the SWEL and BCA web sites and while there are many rules for 8 ball and general pool (this is 8 ball) I can't find specific rules for how we are allowed to interact.

I know Randy G. is credited with inventing the format as well as creating SWEL, helping make up the original BCA rules and even sweeping up after events so I am coming to the horses mouth on this. As well, Randy may be busy this week preparing not to draw me and my partner in doubles early on (Just joking, but I did draw Vanover two years in a row in Vegas!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Any help would be appreciated as we have been practicing allowing conversation between teammates during a shot evaluation to "Mind Meld" and want to know *before going to the tournament) what will be actually allowed. If someone has a link to actual rules and codes of conduct, clue my dumb redneck butt in on it.....

Deeman
some 40 year old Deeman Baked Chalk to the best answer....

SPetty
04-26-2005, 10:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Can both players aproach the table during a shot and discuss the next shot?<hr /></blockquote>No<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Can you quietly discuss the game while seated during your opponents inning?<hr /></blockquote>Yes

There is no "coaching" allowed during your turn, and there is no discussion when it is your team's turn at the table. I think the "mind meld" thing is a good way to practice.

Fred Agnir
04-26-2005, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I know Randy G. is credited with inventing the format <hr /></blockquote>huh? As much as I love Randy, there is no way he can legitimately be credited for inventing Scotch Doubles, a format that was essentially taken from golf.

I've been playing Scotch Doubles format tournaments since the 80's.

Fred

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Can both players aproach the table during a shot and discuss the next shot?<hr /></blockquote>No<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> Can you quietly discuss the game while seated during your opponents inning?<hr /></blockquote>Yes <font color="blue"> Good enough, I'm with a young player and he'll need some in between "advice". </font color>

There is no "coaching" allowed during your turn, and there is no discussion when it is your team's turn at the table. I think the "mind meld" thing is a good way to practice. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue"> Fair enough, we have a call in to Mr. Spock and will do a mind meld tonight... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Thanks for the reply. I thought, besides not having any info on SWEL or BCA, maybe I could play by my own rules....You know, I was rejected for "Survivor" because my one item I choose to carry with me was a .45 Colt APC Commander's Special, Match Grade. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Welcome back, sounds like you'all had a great time. When will you come to SWEL? I see your team is playing but you are not listed in the singles? Trying to take it easy on the others, huh? I wish it had worked out for us to play doubles but with the confilct, I lose a good opportunity to play as your partner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif We always play against each other!!!

I am just going to bring your leather thingies rather than mail them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif NO, everyone, it's not what you think. Leroy would defang me!

I'll be getting there on Thursday morning, travelling with a teammate, Sam the Sham. Tori, for some odd reason, would rather go play craps in Shrieveport! Go Figure!

Nice to have you back. Thanks again.</font color>

Deeman

SPetty
04-26-2005, 10:52 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I know Randy G. is credited with inventing the format <hr /></blockquote>huh? As much as I love Randy, there is no way he can legitimately be credited for inventing Scotch Doubles, a format that was essentially taken from golf.<hr /></blockquote>I think it was Randy that told me that he invented it for pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 10:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I know Randy G. is credited with inventing the format <hr /></blockquote>huh? As much as I love Randy, there is no way he can legitimately be credited for inventing Scotch Doubles, a format that was essentially taken from golf.

I've been playing Scotch Doubles format tournaments since the 80's. <font color="blue"> Fred, so have I but I was told by someone, other than Randy, the other night that Randy had adapted it to pool. The guy who told me was an older BCA guy so I just assumed it was correct. So, while I was certainly aware he didn't invent the name and game (I'm a golfer too, if you really stretch the hanicap and imagination), I was just referring to the pool brand. If that's not true, maybe he just plays it so well, this guy credited it to him. An honest mistake I'm sure. However, if you can tell me who did, I could win a bar bet off this guy... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif</font color>

Deeman
Now sorry I refer to Fred as "that equipment whore". Hint: He hasn't seen my collection.... <hr /></blockquote>

SPetty
04-26-2005, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> When will you come to SWEL? I see your team is playing but you are not listed in the singles? I wish it had worked out for us to play doubles but with the conflict, I lose a good opportunity to play as your partner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I am just going to bring your leather thingies rather than mail them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif NO, everyone, it's not what you think.<hr /></blockquote>Actually, you don't really know what I'm doing with the leather thingies, eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

It takes vacation time for me to enter that singles tourney, and I'd rather spend it going to NYC to Fran's workshop or Vegas to hang with Rip than to spend it going to some local tourney to play the same people I play with every week...

If you didn't already have a partner, I think we could have wiped up in this one!

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 11:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> When will you come to SWEL? <font color="blue"> So, I'll see you on Friday or Saturday... </font color>
I am just going to bring your leather thingies rather than mail them! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif NO, everyone, it's not what you think.<hr /></blockquote>Actually, you don't really know what I'm doing with the leather thingies, eh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif <font color="blue"> This is not a good time to conjure up that image of my "D" on the wooden thingy, is it? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif</font color>

It takes vacation time for me to enter that singles tourney, and I'd rather spend it going to NYC to Fran's workshop or Vegas to hang with Rip than to spend it going to some local tourney to play the same people I play with every week... <font color="blue"> Makes sense, I just don't get to hit 'em with the Dallas crowd as often so I'll enjoy it. </font color>

If you didn't already have a partner, I think we could have wiped up in this one! <font color="blue"> Yep, I just heard several more teams have decided to play after reading your post on this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif </font color>

Hugs and Kisses,

Deeman
Spetty's Future Partner, unless she trades me for Alex P.
<hr /></blockquote>

Fred Agnir
04-26-2005, 11:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> I know Randy G. is credited with inventing the format <hr /></blockquote>huh? As much as I love Randy, there is no way he can legitimately be credited for inventing Scotch Doubles, a format that was essentially taken from golf.<hr /></blockquote>I think it was Randy that told me that he invented it for pool. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif <hr /></blockquote>How odd. It's been called Scotch Doubles (for pool, alternating shots) for so long, even by players who knew it as such in the 60's.

I don't even know if they call it Scotch Doubles in golf.

If Randy invented it for pool, he must have done so independently as it is a natural evolution of the game to go to alternating shots. And to call it Scotch Doubles, that's what everyone called it in my area (Western Massachusetts), with Mixed Scotched Doubles as a male/female partnerships.

Fred

BigRigTom
04-26-2005, 11:59 AM
How bout it RandyG, enlighten us all.
I have heard that you invented the Scotch Doubles for Pool too.....
Tell us the whole story......I know if has to be a good one. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-26-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr>

Deeman
Spetty's Future Partner, unless she trades me for Alex P.
<hr /></blockquote>

she might trade you for this youngster

http://www.azbilliards.com/gallery/usopen2004mitch/us%20open04mitch%20013.jpg

randyg
04-26-2005, 03:39 PM
Sorry Fred, but I'm very proud to say that it's true.

A long time ago, my wife Karen and myself found a very large gap in women's billiards. During the 60's the only game that even resembeled SD was a Male/Female partners game. The Male made all the shots and the Female player safe....real fun stuff. Karen decided that the Female should have to play just as important a role in the match as her partner. After a few go-arounds, we came up with a format that is now played in all Major Tournaments World wide. We have played SD in 8-9 and one pocket. Still married.

Many, many years ago Gary Benson (Tournament Director Elite) asked me to show him this format. We have been playing it for so long he felt it might be a good fit for the BCA Nationals. We rolled it out for Gary as a test in a few Huebler Cup Tournaments. Instant sucess.

The first two years at the BCA Nationals it was Karen &amp; I who ran the SD Boards for Gary and the BCA. Gary then took it to the Valley Nationals and the rest is history.

I believe all leagues now have some kind of SD agenda.

Once again Fred, there are probably alot of things you don't know about randyg. The one thing that you should know is, Fred is randyg's hero.....SPF-randyg

BigRigTom
04-26-2005, 04:57 PM
That is a great success story Randy and as always it is great to hear it from the horse's mouth.
3 cheers for you wife, Karen, and her assertiveness! She sounds like quite a lady and women have come a long long way since the 60's thanks to women like her.

pooltchr
04-26-2005, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr>
3 cheers for you wife, Karen, and her assertiveness! She sounds like quite a lady and women have come a long long way since the 60's thanks to women like her. <hr /></blockquote>

I had the pleasure of having dinner with Randy and his wife a a few weeks ago. One of my first impressions was that Randy certainly seems to have found a partner that can actually keep him in line!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
These are two wonderful people and it is my pleasure just to know them.
Steve

randyg
04-27-2005, 04:40 AM
A very fine line!!!!!!

DickLeonard
04-27-2005, 05:40 AM
Deeman never drink Scotch Doubles and play pool. Well at least not for long before the Alcohol takes over your play.####

Deeman2
04-27-2005, 06:01 AM
Randy,

Thanks for clearing this up. I was not certain if this was true of not but when Ronnie Fleet told me, I thought he was probably right. He had an awful lot of nice things to say about your overall contributions to the game, your school and you as a person. You might just give him abreak the next time you two meet in a tournament. LOL.

Look forward to seeing you this week.

Deeman
wish Randy had invented something call "Deeman not allowed to miss pool".

pooltchr
04-27-2005, 06:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Deeman2:</font><hr> You might just give him abreak the next time you two meet in a tournament. LOL.

<hr /></blockquote>

Yeah.....Right!!!!!!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

littleCajun
04-27-2005, 01:05 PM
You do get 1 timeout per game. Hope to see you there. Maybe you will have to play me and my partner :&gt;)