PDA

View Full Version : Legitmizing FELT

Fred Agnir
04-26-2005, 07:12 AM
Okay, this one is for Fran.

We all know that the cloth with which we cover pool tables is not felt. So why do people call it felt? Does it look or feel like felt? Did it ever? I don't know, but...

if we look at the history of billiards as a table game that had origins as a ground game like croquet, then the green cloth would represent the ground with grass. That is, the playing surface is the field. FIELD.

Phonetically and linguistically speaking, the words FELT and FIELD are equivalent. The words share common etymology (flat). So, it's quite possible that just by word of mouth linguistic evolution, some people just naturally fell into call the playing field "felt." The cloth may have simply added to the confusion.

Or... someone had some green felt table cloth originally and spread it on the table.

Fred <~~~ HTH

Deeman2
04-26-2005, 07:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Okay, this one is for Fran.

We all know that the cloth with which we cover pool tables is not felt. So why do people call it felt? Does it look or feel like felt? Did it ever? I don't know, but...

if we look at the history of billiards as a table game that had origins as a ground game like croquet, then the green cloth would represent the ground with grass. That is, the playing surface is the field. FIELD.

Phonetically and linguistically speaking, the words FELT and FIELD are equivalent. The words share common etymology (flat). So, it's quite possible that just by word of mouth linguistic evolution, some people just naturally fell into call the playing field "felt." The cloth may have simply added to the confusion.

Or... someone had some green felt table cloth originally and spread it on the table.

Fred &lt;~~~ HTH <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Gee, Fred. I hope that FELT good. </font color>

Deeman /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

ras314
04-26-2005, 09:39 AM
FELT...Isn't that what a yurt is made from? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

tateuts
04-26-2005, 10:41 AM
These days they would call it "sheet".

...as in "oh sheet, I missed!".

Popcorn
04-26-2005, 11:36 AM
I think it is just one of those descriptive words whose meaning has changed. "Felt tip marker". It is most likely some sort of synthetic material. Felt story boards kids play with are blended materials yet are still called felt. I kind of like the tradition of calling pool table cloth felt. Could you imagine Mr. Huber's book being called "The Green 70% Wool 30% Nylon jungle".

bsmutz
04-26-2005, 11:45 AM
It wouldn't surprise me if originally a pool table was covered with what they called felt at the time. As the years went by the cloth would have been altered to enhance the longevity and playability. Maybe some research into the evolution of various types of cloth would shed some light on the subject. I know in the past I've played on some tables that seemed like the cloth was more felt-like.

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2005, 12:23 PM
Nice try Fred.. good start..

I still cringe when I hear cloth referred to as FELT. But, now I just keep quiet and let it go.

Fran Crimi
04-26-2005, 01:21 PM
Maybe we should just call it FLAT from now-on. Works for me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

That reminds me; I need to get my table reflatted.

Fran

Scott Lee
04-26-2005, 01:32 PM
Bill...Iwan Simonis and Gorina have been manufacturing pool table CLOTH (not felt) for nearly 300 years. I think the term just comes from uneducated people that just don't know any better, and then gets passed along by word of mouth, until it becomes the 'accepted' description it is today.

Personally, I'm with Tom...I try to educate folks...felt is no more like pool cloth, than plywood is to a solid board.
Of course, you can USE plywood, ugly as it is, to build things. You cannot, on the other hand, cover a pool table in FELT...it would not work well at all! LOL

Scott

Eric.
04-26-2005, 01:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Could you imagine Mr. Huber's book being called "The Green 70% Wool 30% Nylon jungle". <hr /></blockquote>

That would depend on if it were 860 or 760.

Eric

Troy
04-26-2005, 08:06 PM
If I remember correctly, wool can be turned into FELT by putting it in water plus either heat or agitation.

Table CLOTH is a worsted blend of wool and nylon.

Troy

wolfdancer
04-26-2005, 11:19 PM
Fred, seems like this topic usually comes up around the time of the vernal equinox.....so, it's a month late this time...but I'm sure it's a planetary alignment thing.
Or maybe it's what they call in newspaper parlance "filler"
for when they have a slow news day.
Felt has been used as a misnomer for pool table cloth, for so long....it ain't a misnomer anymore. Hey, speaking of misnomers...do the Boston fans miss Nomar????
HOWEVER......back to Boston again....although we're actually in N. H.....
The Boston Felt Co, lists among the 500 uses for felt
http://www.bostonfelt.com/uses.htm#B

"BILLIARD CLOTH".....and if you can't trust the Boston Felt Co....who can you trust?????
Now Tiger Woods's woods, ain't really woods anymore,and if you can call graphite &amp; metal, "woods"....I don't see why I can't call my Granito....felt
Geez, that felt good, getting that out of my system.