PDA

View Full Version : New York City!!!

SPetty
04-26-2005, 11:34 AM
I spent this past weekend in New York City! Hanging out with Fran Crimi, Karen Corr, Julie Kelly, Gayle in MD, Nostalgia, and a host of others. Wow, what fun!!!

The first thing Fran said to me when she picked me up at the airport is "Where's your jacket??!?" Uh, with it being springtime in Texas, it didn't dawn on me that it would be cold in NYC! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif But, the weather was cold and raining and windy, so we didn't get to go to the top of the Empire State Building like I had hoped - Fran says they close the observation deck in that kind of weather. It was real good weather, though, for a big bowl of fresh home-made chicken soup! She made it look so easy, yet it was the best chicken soup I've ever had!

Fran introduced me to her macaw, and assured me that she didn't bite. Of course, she neglected to finish the thought with "unless you get anywhere near her and put your finger out towards her"... HAHAHAHA! I'm still recuperating from that.

Fran took me to the Atlantic Ocean where I picked up a few authentic New York City seashells. She took such good care of me, making sure that I didn't have to worry about anything. On the way to the ocean, I saw a guy with one of those long loaves of bread sticking out of the top of a paper bag. I've never seen that before!

On Sunday, I had an authentic New York City bagel, and later had some authentic New York City pizzeria pizza. I can see now why yankees can't stand the chain store pizza in Texas!

After the workshop and pub, Fran loaded me, Gayle and Nostalgia into her car and we drove all over the city! Wow, now that takes some special kind of skill - driving in NYC!!! The lines separating the lanes are essentially just suggestions... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif There was one six lane one way road that didn't even have any lane line markings!

We went through Chinatown and saw Wall Street, Madison Avenue, Park Avenue, Times Square, Broadway, stuff like that. We dropped Nostalgia off at the Staten Island Ferry and dropped Gayle off at the Waldorf Astoria hotel. Gayle danced on Broadway! Really, we have pictures! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I took these pics, so you know I was there!
http://www.pettypoint.com/pics/NYC1.jpg http://www.pettypoint.com/pics/NYC2.jpg

Lots of fun. Wish you were there!

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2005, 11:40 AM
Yup!... that's the general idea when you visit FRIENDS.. they tend to make your short visits very memorable.

It makes me smile knowing you and Gayle made the trek to NY to visit and learn more about pool and the fine ladies of New York.

Fran is a treasure. I've enjoyed all her posts and wish there would come a time we could visit face to face.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-26-2005, 12:01 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>

...I saw a guy with one of those long loaves of bread sticking out of the top of a paper bag. I've never seen that before!...
<hr /></blockquote>

LOL

Strange the things one notices.

Thanks for the write-up. Sounds like a good time was had by all.

9 Ball Girl
04-26-2005, 12:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> I saw a guy with one of those long loaves of bread sticking out of the top of a paper bag. I've never seen that before!<hr /></blockquote>Hmmm. Sounds like what you saw was some good 'ole Italian bread. Sounds like you all had yourselves a great time! Y'all come back now ya hear!

Wendy&lt;---can only imagine what I'll see when I go to Terrell...

Gayle in MD
04-26-2005, 12:42 PM
Hi kiddo! Hope your flight back was smooth. How long was it BTW? From Washington, it's 31 minutes in the air.
Just thought I would add some thoughts here about my trip.

Highlights...

The workshop, of course, and meeting the CCBers, and Karen and Fran, and all the things I posted on the other side of the forum. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Tap dancing on 42 St. and Broadway, definately a hoot! thanks Fran! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Playing a Chopin' Nocturne (In e flat, my favorite) on Cole Porters Grand Piano at the Waldorf Astoria. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Staying at the Waldorf with my daughter and sister was fabulous, we really splurged, ordered Champaign breakfasts and ate in our terry cloth WA robes, while overlooking Park Avenue! Beautiful suite, with a beautiful terrace. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Having dinner at the Blue Water Grille, great spot, great food, and great live jazz band with a very friendly atmosphere and top notch service. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Singing the Sex and The City theme song with my daughter and sister at the Bull and Bear Bar, while sitting in the same seats where Carry Samantha Charlotte and Miranda sat during the filming of one of the episodes! We were eventually joined by five guys from another table and three women from accross the bar and had a group hum along, "Da Da Da dut, da dut, da dut, da dah, LOL! This occurred after the second round of Martinis of course, and was followed by a spontaneous Sex And The City trivia contest that eventually encompassed the entire bar, what a blast! Everyone had so much fun, the hotel actually picked up our tab! /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Fran's special New York Tour, with Spetty and Joe, a most memorable ride, for sure! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Buying out the American Girl Doll Shop for my grand daughter, what a fabulous shop, there are only two, one in NY, and I think the other is in Chicago or L.A., can't remember now, but it made you wish you were a little girl again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Had to pay a thirty dollar HEAVY charge to get my luggage back home, LOL.

Having Breakfast at Tiffany's with sis and daughter! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Doing the Sex A' T' City critique of New York men with the girls at a sidewalk cafe, (There weren't any who met my requirements BTW, but will never let the girls go back without me, LOL) /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Veal Oscur, at Oscur's.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Doing the Tango with a Latin Maitre d' in the same ballroom where Al Pacino danced in Scent Of a Woman, (Would rather have done this with Dick Leonard!) /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Best of all, Comming home to find that Jim had missed me, and had made such a special welcome home for me. I'm a lucky gal! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Can't wait till the next workshop!!! hint hint Fran...

Love,
Gayle /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

pooltchr
04-26-2005, 12:50 PM
Chicken Soup
Italian Bread
New York Pizza

did you go for the pool or the food???? /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

You are right...chain store pizza is just cardboard with sauce and cheese.

Steve

Nostalgia
04-26-2005, 01:10 PM
I am sooooooooooooooo sorry I missed the tap dancing on Broadway!! I would have taken the bus back to see it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As for pizza, next time y'all are around I'll have to have you up to my house for some home made pizza. I make my own dough and everything /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

-Joe

Gayle in MD
04-26-2005, 01:25 PM
Hey Joe, home made pizza will get you atleast eight bars of high kicks by yours personally on 42 Street, LOL. You bring the music and the pizza, and I'll bring the tap shoes!

When I was growing up we made home made pizza with my Italian Grand Mother every friday night! We'll have to swap recipes!

So you're Italian, I knew there was something I liked about you! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
04-26-2005, 01:29 PM
Hey Wendy,
Truthfully, I couldn't get over how friendly New Yorkers are! I hadn't been to NY in quite a while, and I was really impressed. I'm really sorry I missed meeting you and also Dick Leonard, but maybe next time?

Gayle in Md.

9 Ball Girl
04-26-2005, 01:45 PM
Definitely next time, for sure! Yeah, we New Yorkers aren't that bad--just don't get us in the morning, rushing to go to work, before that 1st morning coffee! But if you went to Times Square, I would say that you probably saw more tourists than New Yorkers over there! LOL

Nostalgia
04-26-2005, 01:53 PM
Eight bars? Wahoo! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif I'm only about 1/4 Italian, but I think that's where I got most of my looks from. And my good taste in food /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

-Joe

Gayle in MD
04-26-2005, 02:24 PM
Thank you Tom, that's nice of you. Hey, you owe me a visit here, remember? Fly here, I'll pick you up, you stay here with us for a couple days to get over the time difference, and then we'll either fly up or drive up from here! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-26-2005, 02:33 PM
AND those are pretty good looks kiddo! Hey, my Dad used to say, "There's only two kinds of people in the world, Italians, and those who wish they were Italian! He was a BIG kidder, and full of fun!

Joe, you're really a great guy, and I really enjoyed you!

Gayle in Md.

Nostalgia
04-26-2005, 02:37 PM
Awwwww you all are too sweet /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif It was great fun meeting you all. It's always good to make new friends!

Oh and as added incentive for SPetty to come back, I've got a tall bottle of some GREAT tequila sitting at home... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif Straight from Mexico.

-Joe

DickLeonard
04-27-2005, 07:23 AM
Gayle I guess the Waldorf knows how to treat their guests. The Scent of a Women was also filmed at Emma Williard where Jane went to School. Kevin ----- filmed The Emperor ----- there also. My mind is drawing a blank on that.####

SpiderMan
04-27-2005, 07:47 AM
I know what you mean about the pizza, it's definitely different there. I spent a week working a convention in NY about 15 years ago, and had a slice of pizza every day as I walked back from work.

Don't remember the name of our hotel, but you could look almost straight down at the Sony sign on Times Square from my window. I would walk to the convention center each day, just to get out and see a little. The pizza place was on my way, and I'd get a slice each day. The pizza there was really thin, and the people sort of "folded" it so that it remained erect while they stuffed it into their mouths. I always asked for a little side cup of the tomato sauce, because the pizza didn't seem to have enough of it for me. It tasted really good.

The thing that surprised me most was how clean the subways were. I had grown up thinking of the subway as a dark, nasty place full of hoodlums, and I carried a big lockblade hunting knife everywhere I went, but we never had any trouble. We had a great time riding the subways all over town, and never felt threatened. The subway cars were actually much cleaner than the fast-food restaurants, which tended to be very nasty. I don't think many of them ever swept the floors. The one pizza joint I mentioned was an exception, it was clean. And the subway cars were so bright and clean, it made you feel you could eat off the floor.

Anybody - how can you have a two-hour ferry trip for only a quarter? Someone's taxes have to be subsidizing that thing!

One unfortunate thing was how the entire city seemed to smell like urine. One of the local guys told me it was because people pee and crap in the doorways of buildings at night. Are these the homeless people, or just punks making trouble?

SpiderMan

Gayle in MD
04-27-2005, 07:50 AM
Dick,
Are you thinking of THE EMPEROR'S CLUB (?) Kevin Kline? That was a great movie.
And don't forget, WEEKEND AT THE WALDORF.... with Lana Turner and Van Johnson, there were several others also.

Gayle in Md.

9 Ball Girl
04-27-2005, 09:23 AM
Hi Marty, I think it's time you pay New York another visit! Things have changed since the last 15 years. Especially, and I can't emphasize especially enough, Times Square.

As far as the waste in the doorways, that would probably had been homeless people are jacka$$es that probably couldn't figure out to go into a restaurant or bar or something and ask to use the restroom.

I've never seen pizza being eaten without folding it. I do it so that the tip doesn't fold over (usually happens to the non crispy crusts) and I'll still fold it over for the crispy crusts (I prefer it crispy).

Deeman2
04-27-2005, 09:42 AM
Spiderman,

I'm very familiar with NY Pizza and love it. We have a place in Longview named Joe's. Great Italian and pizza. They are all New Yorkers who got tired of the urine. They opened on September 11, 2001! Great place, great Italian accents and prices you won't believe. It's only a two hour drive (in Tori's Vette). Come and get it!

Glad to hear you all had a great time.

Deeman
will always remember Spidy didn't bring me a pork sandwich from Memphis. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

DickLeonard
04-27-2005, 10:38 AM
Gayle you hit the nail on the head the Emperors Club with Kevin Klein. I think Jane Fonda has something to do with films being made at Emmma Williard.

Martin Scorsee made the Age of Innocence in TRoy and he fell in Love with this Italian Restaurent and spent every night after filming holding court there.####

Gayle in MD
04-27-2005, 10:44 AM
The Age Of Innocence ! One of my all time favorites.
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Eric.
04-27-2005, 11:15 AM
I know you don't know ANYBODY in the NY metro area but...

WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US YOU WERE COMING TO TOWN?!

Eric &gt;sheesh

Eric.
04-27-2005, 11:24 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> I know what you mean about the pizza, it's definitely different there. I spent a week working a convention in NY about 15 years ago, and had a slice of pizza every day as I walked back from work.
<font color="blue"> That's why once you leave New York/New Jersey, you can't get good pizza anymore. Next time, try Grimaldi's (used to be Patsy's) </font color>
Don't remember the name of our hotel, but you could look almost straight down at the Sony sign on Times Square from my window. I would walk to the convention center each day, just to get out and see a little. The pizza place was on my way, and I'd get a slice each day. The pizza there was really thin, and the people sort of "folded" it so that it remained erect while they stuffed it into their mouths. I always asked for a little side cup of the tomato sauce, because the pizza didn't seem to have enough of it for me. It tasted really good.

The thing that surprised me most was how clean the subways were. <font color="blue">There was a big push to clean up the trains, years ago. The nicest/newest trains are the Lexington ave line. </font color> I had grown up thinking of the subway as a dark, nasty place full of hoodlums <font color="blue"> still is that way,depending on what part of town you're in </font color> , and I carried a big lockblade hunting knife <font color="blue">knife, you call that a knife... </font color> everywhere I went, but we never had any trouble. We had a great time riding the subways all over town, and never felt threatened. The subway cars were actually much cleaner than the fast-food restaurants, which tended to be very nasty. I don't think many of them ever swept the floors. The one pizza joint I mentioned was an exception, it was clean. And the subway cars were so bright and clean, it made you feel you could eat off the floor.

Anybody - how can you have a two-hour ferry trip for only a quarter? <font color="blue">not anymore </font color> Someone's taxes have to be subsidizing that thing! <font color="blue">I only get about 59% of my gross pay, after taxes /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif </font color>

One unfortunate thing was how the entire city seemed to smell like urine. <font color="blue"> Welcome to NY </font color> One of the local guys told me it was because people pee and crap in the doorways of buildings at night. Are these the homeless people, or just punks making trouble? <font color="blue">It depends on what neighborhoods you go to, not all are like that. Beware of puddles in the subway exits taht are not gated/locked at night. Those puddles are what you are smelling. </font color>

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Eric

SpiderMan
04-27-2005, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> I've never seen pizza being eaten without folding it. I do it so that the tip doesn't fold over (usually happens to the non crispy crusts) and I'll still fold it over for the crispy crusts (I prefer it crispy). <hr /></blockquote>
I'd like to visit again also. I didn't actually get to do quite as much "touring" as I wanted, due to spending the whole day at work.

I had never seen anyone fold a pizza before that trip, and I don't think I've seen it since. At least not the particular technique where you put the thumb and middle finger underneath, and "roll" the back edge around your index finger. Most of the pizzas I'm used to might not be flexible enough to avoid cracking.

Times Square was very interesting when I was there, almost like a traveling zoo up and down the sidewalk. Sort of reminded me of Bourbon Street. How has it changed?

SpiderMan

SPetty
04-27-2005, 12:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> I am sooooooooooooooo sorry I missed the tap dancing on Broadway!! I would have taken the bus back to see it /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>Just for you, Joe... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

http://www.pettypoint.com/pics/Gayle.gif

9 Ball Girl
04-27-2005, 12:55 PM
OMG! Is that Gayle! She looks everything like I expected her to look like! And look at that--typical NYers see a person doing a jig in the middle of the street and they just keep on walking like nothing! LOL

Wendy&lt;---already loves Gayle!

9 Ball Girl
04-27-2005, 01:04 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Times Square was very interesting when I was there, almost like a traveling zoo up and down the sidewalk. Sort of reminded me of Bourbon Street. How has it changed?<hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">Times Square is now like Disney World! Well, not really but it's nothing like what it was 15 years ago, that's for sure. For one, you don't really see as many homeless people or garbage, Giuliani got rid of all of the XXX joints (although some XXX video stores are still around where you can go upstairs and see the girl's in their booths where you have to pay about $10 to see them do a 5 minute peep show and they have mops in those booths-yuck-and how do I know all this is beyond me...), there are tons more restaurants and touristy trap stores, and you see a lot more families now walking around than what you did back then. The slang back then for Times Square was the Forty-Deuce and just hearing that made you ask, "are you NUTS to go out there at that time of night???" Even riding the trains at all hours of the night was a HUGE no no back then and now you can get on the subway at 3 AM and see enough people on there to make you think it was like 8 AM.

Come back to the Big Apple, Marty. I can be you and your girlfriend's tour guide!</font color>

armandito
04-27-2005, 02:54 PM
Hi Wendy and all,
The first chance I had to visit NYC was in 2001. It was either NYC or Germany, and the Yankees-Sox games tipped the scale /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif .

I flew in (with my 4-month-pregnant wife)from Chicago on Sept 09, 2001.
We were staying at a B&amp;B on 93rd St.

We were able to visit Times Square that first night, and felt as safe as you could in any big city (I'm originally from Mexico City, and have been "out" in Chicago -2am-, Paris -3am, New Year's-, London -midnight-, Madrid and Rome).

Early on the 10th we visited the Empire State Bldg and took some pictures, like this one:

http://interact-travel.com/nyc_910.jpg

We were able to walk a lot and had to go back early because of the Yanks-Sox game (where Clemens was supposed to get his 20th straight W). The game was rained out (luckily!).

I said that we were lucky the game was not played, because our plans for the day had been to go to Wall Street and the Statue of Liberty. We had planned to leave by 8. Since the game had to be played and we could not just change tickets for a different series, we had to wait until 8am for the Yankees box office to open. That was also de reason we didn't hear the news immediately. We were watching ESPN. My mother-in-law called us to let us know.

Anyway. On 9/12 we had to walk across the GW bridge (one of the saddest images in my mind when we looked at the smoke column), and ended up driving back to Wisconsin through a network of friends and relatives.

Anyhow. I'm ready to go back. Maybe Xmas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
Can anybody get me Letterman tickets????

Gayle in MD
04-27-2005, 03:18 PM
Wendy, ditto xoxoxo
We'll meet soon, 31 minutes in the air is a snap. I might just drive up next time.

Gayle in Md

Gayle in MD
04-27-2005, 03:20 PM
that is too funny!~

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
04-28-2005, 05:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 9 Ball Girl:</font><hr> <font color="blue">Giuliani got rid of all of the XXX joints (although some XXX video stores are still around where you can go upstairs and see the girl's in their booths where you have to pay about $10 to see them do a 5 minute peep show and they have mops in those booths-yuck-and how do I know all this is beyond me...)</font color><hr /></blockquote> Like this? I took this pic just around the corner from Times Square, I think...
http://www.pettypoint.com/pics/peepshow.jpg

Wally_in_Cincy
04-28-2005, 06:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> http://www.pettypoint.com/pics/peepshow.jpg <hr /></blockquote>

they sell these

http://www.boxofficeprophets.com/images2/peeps.jpg

Gayle in MD
04-28-2005, 06:01 AM
Yup, that was the location. My favorite sign was the chicken place, "PLUCK YOU" LMAO. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, I miss you and Fran and Joe and Tom!

SPetty
04-28-2005, 06:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> WHY DIDN'T YOU TELL US YOU WERE COMING TO TOWN?!<hr /></blockquote>Hi Eric., I did mention (http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showthreaded.php?Cat=&amp;Board=npr&amp;Number=188749&amp;page =0&amp;view=collapsed&amp;sb=5&amp;o=14&amp;vc=1) it - but I didn't make a big deal about it. I figured I'd be too busy or too tired or too ignorant to get around to meet up with anyone else anyway. Essentially, I flew in, went to the workshop, and flew out. But hey - I'll see you in a few weeks in Vegas!

Vagabond
04-29-2005, 07:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> so that it remained erect while they stuffed it into their mouths.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif: WHAT! WHAT! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Vagabond

9 Ball Girl
04-29-2005, 08:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr>so that it remained erect while they stuffed it into their mouths.<hr /></blockquote>Now how did I miss that??? Whew Boy, Texas is looking better and better!

Wendy&lt;---56 more days /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

SpiderMan
04-29-2005, 08:43 AM
I was beginning to think my humor was too subtle.

SpiderMan

SpiderMan
04-29-2005, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> so that it remained erect while they stuffed it into their mouths.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif: WHAT! WHAT! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Vagabond <hr /></blockquote>

Two days before anyone picked up on that!

SpiderMan