PDA

View Full Version : Inside Pool

jjinfla
04-26-2005, 11:56 AM
My April issue arrived yesterday.

Jake

Barbara
04-26-2005, 11:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> My April issue arrived yesterday.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto. And I still haven't gotten my March issue.

Barbara

BigRigTom
04-26-2005, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> My April issue arrived yesterday.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

Ditto. And I still haven't gotten my March issue.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

I did finally get March but now I'm looking for April...
Soon to be looking for May /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

woody_968
04-26-2005, 12:07 PM
I still havent gotten either one,,, but they did send me an email saying they would look into it /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-26-2005, 12:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> And I still haven't gotten my March issue.

Barbara <hr /></blockquote>

I just was at the post office. I mailed you the March issue and the April issue. I got 2 of them [again] yesterday.

Does anybody know, what's the best phone number to contact them regarding circulation matters?

Tom_In_Cincy
04-26-2005, 12:25 PM
724-543-2635

christopheradams
04-26-2005, 01:14 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> My April issue arrived yesterday.

Jake <hr /></blockquote>

I received my new Billiard Digest yesterday for May and I received my April Inside pool today. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Scott Lee
04-26-2005, 01:20 PM
I got the May BD today, with Massey on the cover...still no April Inside Pool yet! Perhaps tomorrow...

Scott Lee

Barbara
04-26-2005, 03:19 PM
Thanks Wally!!

Look for something from me in your mailbox soon!!

Barbara

jjinfla
04-26-2005, 04:30 PM
My friend received a 4 page e-mail from S. Scott Taylor, President, Sterling Gaming, Inc, explaining the purchase, losing key personnel, and what they are doing about it.

As I see it one major problem that they had was that they were too good and too successful and just didn't have the manpower to keep up with subscriptions and orders. But hopefully that will be remedied.

Jake

Bob C
04-28-2005, 08:00 AM
I just tried calling IP's toll-free number (the only phone number I could find in the magazine) and it has been disconnected!!!

Wally_in_Cincy
04-28-2005, 08:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Bob C:</font><hr> I just tried calling IP's toll-free number (the only phone number I could find in the magazine) and it has been disconnected!!! <hr /></blockquote>

try this

724-543-2635

ballbanger
04-28-2005, 01:18 PM
Insidepool.com Update
-------------- ------

We here at Sterling Gaming have been hard at work every day since I last
emailed you on April 18 to find every Insidepool.com customer who paid for
merchandise that was never received. In fact, most of us have been working
14 to 16 hour days to bring to an end the "customer disservice nightmare"
most of you have experienced.

The deeper we got into this, the worse we found the situation to be. Some
orders going back to December had been paid for, but were never shipped to
the customer. For the most part, no orders were sent to customers that
placed them after the beginning of February. Time after time, customers
that called in were simply lied to, with the "stock" responses being:
1. "That shipped out on xxxx via the USPS"
2. "Oh, you STILL haven't gotten it? We will put a tracer on it, and
send your order out again. If you receive a second shipment, simply
refuse it."
3. "Our computer systems were unable to read the UPS tracking
information, so we can't give you a tracking number."
4. "Our computers were down last week, but we'll look into it and get back
to you."
5. (My personal favorite...) "What? Didn't you hear about the big fire
at UPS? It has been all over the news!"

It became very clear to us that the ownership of insidepool.com was
definitely having serious cash flow problems, and was using its customer's
money, YOUR money, to keep themselves afloat.

Now, I'm not sure if it is clear to you, but we are NOT the company that you
paid for the products that were never sent. We, Sterling Gaming, Inc., used
to be the primary supplier to insidepool.com. The old owners of
insidepool.com not only were taking orders (and payment!) and not shipping
out product, but they also owed us over $100,000 for items we sent out on
their behalf. We've stepped in and taken over the site in an attempt to make
things right as best we can.

Since we were only one of four suppliers to the company, we are unable to
supply all of the items they had offered for sale. Unfortunately, your
order contains one or more of those items. At this point, other than
helping you to get your money back, there is little we can do.

I'd like to ask you to call your credit card company (their number is on the
back of your card) and dispute the charge, informing them that you never
received the items you ordered. They should credit you instantly. If you
are unfamiliar with this process, it is very simple, and your credit card
company will help you through it. Unfortunately, this is not uncommon. It
is doubtful, but should they require any documentation that the products
were never shipped, we can provide that to you. This will probably not be
necessary, but please feel free to contact us should they ask for something
like this. For clarification, we cannot credit you, since we were not the
people you paid in the first place. However, we're committed to helping you
get your money back, so please let us know how we can help.

Once you get your money back, and if you wish to purchase some billiards
supplies from a reputable company, we would strongly recommend
www.cuesight.com. (http://www.cuesight.com.) This is a site that we own and operate. It has been one
of the most popular billiards sites since 1999. We have a five-star,
top-service rating with Yahoo. If you'd like the name of a reputable
company with which we have no ownership ties, we'd recommend
www.billiardwarehouse.com (http://www.billiardwarehouse.com) or www.platinumbilliards.com. (http://www.platinumbilliards.com.)

I'm so sorry that you had suffered such a bad experience with the former
owners of insidepool.com. I'm glad, though, that we are now in a position
to help you.

At this stage in the game, we are canceling your order out of the old
insidepool.com system, since there is no way we can fill it.

If there is anything you need, please don't hesitate to call us, toll-free,
at 1-877-283-7444. We'd prefer to speak with you on the phone
directly instead of using email. We'll be able to serve you better
that way!

Best regards,

S. Scott Taylor, President
Sterling Gaming, Inc.

Nostroke
04-28-2005, 02:12 PM
"For clarification, we cannot credit you, since we were not the people you paid in the first place. However, we're committed to helping you get your money back, so please let us know how we can help."

When you buy a company, aren't you acquiring it's assets as well as its liabilities/debts? Why is that not the case here?

BigRigTom
04-28-2005, 02:24 PM
Of course you are all welcome to shop at any one of the many reputable and trustworthy sites that have no affiliation with Inside Pool or Sterling Games what so ever.....I would assume that you will figure that out for yourself though.......I did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would recommend www.BigRigToys.com (http://www.BigRigToys.com) but then we do not carry the Fury Line of Cues...sorry.

pooltchr
04-28-2005, 07:17 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> "For clarification, we cannot credit you, since we were not the people you paid in the first place. However, we're committed to helping you get your money back, so please let us know how we can help."

When you buy a company, aren't you acquiring it's assets as well as its liabilities/debts? Why is that not the case here? <hr /></blockquote>

Sterling did not buy Inside Pool, they simply took over all operation of the web site insidepool.com in order to prevent the situation from deteriorating any further than it had already, and to offer whatever help they can to those victims of this mess.
Inside Pool continues to be in business, but are now only publishing the magazine. Ownership of Inside Pool has not changed hands. Sterling is now filling all orders that are placed on the web site. As an employee of Sterling, I have been asked not to discuss specific numbers, but I can tell you that there are about 9 or 10 of us who have spent the last two weeks on the phones with Inside Pool customers filling every order we possibly can, and helping others understand how to get their money returned. And yes, there have been many 12 hour days for all of us. None of us were told we had to work extra hours, we just did it because it needed to be done.
Steve

onepocketchump
04-28-2005, 11:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> "For clarification, we cannot credit you, since we were not the people you paid in the first place. However, we're committed to helping you get your money back, so please let us know how we can help."

When you buy a company, aren't you acquiring it's assets as well as its liabilities/debts? Why is that not the case here? <hr /></blockquote>

Acquistion of a company occurs in many forms. Total acquistion includes the assumption of all receivables, payables, assets and debts. In this case Sterlng only acquired the asset of the domain name from Inside Pool.

Sterling made a commitment to attempt to service all of Inside Pool's customers that have not recieved their orders. This commitment is continuing and ongoing.

In some cases we have found the best service we can give is to reccomend that the customer initate a chargeback in order to get their money back.

John Barton - Sterling Gaming

onepocketchump
04-28-2005, 11:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Of course you are all welcome to shop at any one of the many reputable and trustworthy sites that have no affiliation with Inside Pool or Sterling Games what so ever.....I would assume that you will figure that out for yourself though.......I did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would recommend www.BigRigToys.com (http://www.BigRigToys.com) but then we do not carry the Fury Line of Cues...sorry. <hr /></blockquote>

And welcome to shop at other reputable and established online stores as well such as www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com) and www.seyberts.com (http://www.seyberts.com) Both of these websites are run by pool players who have been part of the game for many years. They know pool and give back to the sport. They are not just an online catalog reproduction department store run by people who don't know pool.

Let's be frank here for a moment and establish the facts.

Sterling Gaming is a company that sponsors pool in a big way. We sponsor over 80 amateur tournaments, several local leagues and junior leagues, donate to many charities, sponsor amateur and professional players, and pro events.

What has Big Rig Toys given back to the sport?

Sterling is NOT a middleman like Big Rig Toys is and InsidePool.com was. We have a 12,000sft warehouse filled with billiard supplies. We do need to send an order somewhere else to have it filled. Additionally, we supply many middlemen with goods on a daily basis. Sterling maintains several consumer websites and does not hide that fact, unlike other suppliers in this business. We work with our wholesale customers to improve business for everyone.

I have been in this business for 18 years. I can't think of anyone who would have stepped up to the plate to rescue the Inside Pool website like Scott did. Would you have shipped 2000 orders for goods you did not get paid for? Kathy? I think the answer is no. Scott stepped up and made sure that birthday gifts, anniversary and wedding gifts and more were shipped out in the last two weeks.

Luckily, the first post I wrote was lost. I will conclude this one by saying that I am damn proud to be associated with Scott Taylor. He and his wife Heidi have built a business that others would do well to emulate. They have put together a team that takes pride in making sure the customer gets top notch goods and service. If you want to attempt to smear Sterling's name through insinuation you ought to be aware that you have a long way to go before you can lay claim to the merest fraction of what Sterling has given to the industry and the sport during the last four years.

Sincerely,

Nostroke
04-29-2005, 06:11 AM
ok i thought Insidepool.com was a separate operation and you bought that. Didnt realize you just bought the domain name. I knew you hadn't bought the magazine.

BigRigTom
04-29-2005, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote onepocketchump:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote BigRigTom:</font><hr> Of course you are all welcome to shop at any one of the many reputable and trustworthy sites that have no affiliation with Inside Pool or Sterling Games what so ever.....I would assume that you will figure that out for yourself though.......I did. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

I would recommend www.BigRigToys.com (http://www.BigRigToys.com) but then we do not carry the Fury Line of Cues...sorry. <hr /></blockquote>

And welcome to shop at other reputable and established online stores as well such as www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com) and www.seyberts.com (http://www.seyberts.com) <font color="red">These are probably very good alternatives and should be judged on their own merits by the customers and their experiences with them directly.</font color> Both of these websites are run by pool players who have been part of the game for many years. They know pool and give back to the sport. They are not just an online catalog reproduction department store run by people who don't know pool. <font color="red">www.BigRigToys.com is family owned and operated. We have been an online retail source for darts and billiards since 2001 and we have owned and operated a our own Truck Transportation Brokerage business since 1995. Everyone at www.BigRigToys.com (http://www.BigRigToys.com) plays pool at some level (mostly amateur and for the fun of the sport) but we do know pool and we do know how to run a reputable business where the customer is KING! </font color>

Let's be frank here for a moment and establish the facts.

Sterling Gaming is a company that sponsors pool in a big way. We sponsor over 80 amateur tournaments, several local leagues and junior leagues, donate to many charities, sponsor amateur and professional players, and pro events.

What has Big Rig Toys given back to the sport? <font color="red"> www.BigRigToys.com (http://www.BigRigToys.com) is admittedly a business in business to make money. We stive to exceed the expectations of our customers. We don't hesitate to admit if we don't know the answers to our customer's questions then we try to help them find products and answers elsewhere. We provide a service that we are proud of and that we are ready to defend. We toot our own horn when it is warranted but we also try to be honest and straightforward with all our business dealings. That means customers and vendors and the general public can be confident that we will do our best to help them 100% of the time and we will readily refer them elsewhere when it is in our opinion the best course of action. We also donate to charities and we sponsor teams but those are things that speak for themselves and we don't do a lot of bragging about them. </font color>

Sterling is NOT a middleman like Big Rig Toys is and InsidePool.com was. <font color="red">www.BigRigToys.com is what most people might call a middle man. We are a "RETAIL INTERNET STORE" and we specialize in "RETAIL". We do not wholesale and we do not claim to do so. We are in business for both fun and profit and we proudly say so in our business description located in the All About Us Page (http://www.bigrigtoys.com/info.html).</font color> We have a 12,000sft warehouse filled with billiard supplies. We do need to send an order somewhere else to have it filled. Additionally, we supply many middlemen <font color="red">( Like www.BigRigToys.com (http://www.BigRigToys.com) but not exactly us because we don't carry any of the Sterling Gaming lines.</font color> ) with goods on a daily basis. Sterling maintains several consumer websites and does not hide that fact, unlike other suppliers in this business. We work with our wholesale customers to improve business for everyone.

I have been in this business for 18 years. <font color="red"> I have been in business for myself for 10 years and our web site was opened to the public in 2001. We have a 5 star rating as a "Yahoo Preferred Merchant" and we provide excellent service and our customers have acknowledged that many times. </font color> I can't think of anyone who would have stepped up to the plate to rescue the Inside Pool website like Scott did. Would you have shipped 2000 orders for goods you did not get paid for? Kathy? I think the answer is no. <font color="red"> John, your are correct here. We would not step into this can of worms as Sterling Games has. We would not attempt to "rescue" a company that has shown such blatant disregard for its customers, vendors and the general public. We feel that such a company should get what they deserve and that is usually to go out of business as Enron did. Sure there are victims in these cases. Sterling games appointed themselves as the saviors and so now you you have your hand full. If you pull it off you will profit hansomely and if you don't you will probably learn a valuable lesson anyway. </font color> Scott stepped up and made sure that birthday gifts, anniversary and wedding gifts and more were shipped out in the last two weeks. <font color="red"> We have never let down our customers like InsidePool.com did and we have never had to have someone step in an protect our customers. We take care of our own customers and by doing so we feel obligated to defend our hard earned reputation and as you say "set the record straight". </font color>

Luckily, the first post I wrote was lost. I will conclude this one by saying that I am damn proud to be associated with Scott Taylor. He and his wife Heidi have built a business that others would do well to emulate. They have put together a team that takes pride in making sure the customer gets top notch goods and service. If you want to attempt to smear Sterling's name through insinuation you ought to be aware that you have a long way to go before you can lay claim to the merest fraction of what Sterling has given to the industry and the sport during the last four years. <font color="red"> I don't believe anyone is looking to smear the name of anyone. Certainly we at BigRigToys.com do not have that intention. We merely would like to express our opinions of the chain of events taking place over the past few months as they are related to InsidePool.com and the handling of the customer's trust by everyone and anyone associated with those events (good and bad). You can make this whole ordeal go slowly away by simply taking care of business. Help those customers like you say you will. Do everything in you power to see they are treated fairly and then move on. I'm certain that is all that anyone expects from Sterling Games and if you can do that you will come out smelling like a rose all the way around. As I have said in other post here and else where, I will still be rooting for you to succeed with flying colors. </font color>

Sincerely,

John Barton - Sterling Gaming <hr /></blockquote>

Barbara
04-29-2005, 05:55 PM
Thanks!! I already got the April issue and it had my event result in it from Comet Billiards, so I was happy. But when I turned to the March "Caption Contest" pic, I see Isaac Runnels with Scott Smith so I'm happy I eventually got your copy because next year I'm getting Isaac's autograph on this pic! He is such a gentleman pool player and he's always so pleasant and courteous to the tourny staff.

Isaac won the Men's Senior Open at the SBE with over 300 entrants.

Congrats Isaac!!

Barbara~~~Wally, the "crack stuff" will be in the mail soon, too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
04-29-2005, 07:37 PM
Well, today, April 29, the April issue of IP showed up. Now...how about May??? Oh well...at least it showed up! LOL

Scott Lee

JimS
04-30-2005, 03:48 AM
Wonder of wonders...I got mine today too.

Fred: nice article. Well written.

missthing
04-30-2005, 02:11 PM
Only time will tell about inside pool.
As with anything there are good and bad with anything. It is odd to associate yourself with a person who is dishonest. The apple does not fall far from the tree!!
There are tons of great sites people.
www.hawleys.com (http://www.hawleys.com)
www.seyberts.com (http://www.seyberts.com)
www.ozonebilliards.com (http://www.ozonebilliards.com)
www.fivestarbilliards.com (http://www.fivestarbilliards.com)
www.beadsandbilliards.com (http://www.beadsandbilliards.com)
www.etc etc. etc.
They all just have a slight difference in product. Basically same pricing. Some different options.
Lets move past the inside pool situation.

onepocketchump
05-01-2005, 09:18 AM
You don't get it Tom. It wasn't "the company" that Scott was rescuing. It was the customers who had been bilked whom Sterling has rescued.

Maybe YOU would have just washed your hands of the situation and let over 2000 custoemrs get screwed but Scott Taylor and Sterling Gaming did not.

Last Christmas, when we were receiving about a hundred orders a day from Inside Pool Scott Taylor made the decision to allow those orders to be filled even though we weren't getting paid. He decided that the customer should not suffer during Christmas. Would you have done the same thing if one of the companies you deliver to owed you a substantial sum of money? Understand this - when we decided, when Scott decided, to send out the Christmas orders we figured that we would NEVER see the money for those orders. So I'll ask you again, WOULD you have done the same thing?

You say you would not have gotten into this can of worms. That's the difference then. We get our hands dirty to till the ground and plant the seeds so better things can grow. You just profit off the skim.

And, as far as the so-called bragging goes. It ain't braggin' if you do it. Until I see Big Rig Toys giving back to the sport and the game I don't want to hear about how great a company you are.

Finally, my colleagues in the wholesale sales department have said that all you need to do to have Sterling Products is to call them. They will be more than happy to provide you with everything you need to easily add some of the game's best brands to your online store. One thing you can be sure of, we will be promoting those brands thoughout the game.

Popcorn
05-01-2005, 09:40 AM
Unless you were responding to the wrong post I think there were asking why take over something with a bad name and not just start up your own on line store? It will be interesting to see if they continue to screw up the magazine now that they don't have the on line store as an excuse. My guess is they will repeat the same behavior, but we will have to wait and see. I used to have a guy working for me who was late almost every day. Either he had to drop his mother at work or he over slept car trouble what ever. He was supposed to be at work at 10 am. but usually got there around 10:30 or 11. I changed his hours to 11 am. to give him a break. That's right, he began arriving at around 11:30 or 12. If you want to know the future just look at the past. People repeating past bad behavior is so prevalent it still makes me very skeptical about the future of the magazine.

pooltchr
05-01-2005, 11:25 AM
Popcorn,
Only time will tell. You may be right and may be wrong. I hope you are wrong. I enjoy the magazine, and hope that the recent changes will allow them to focus on putting out a quality magazine. Meanwhile, Sterling knows how to deliver products to their customers, and their operation of the web site is already making a difference.
Hopefully, letting the two companies do what they do best will end up benefiting everyone.

As for why take over an existing web site rather than start up our own, Sterling already operates a very successful web site. They didn't "need" another one, but Scott just wasn't going to sit idly by while customers of a very large web site got left in the dust. That just isn't his style. He was in a position to be able to do something to help, and he did it. As has been pointed out already, nobody else was willing to step forward and fix it, so Scott did. Only he can tell you why, but I know Scott has always said anytime he can do something for the betterment of the billiard community, he will do it.
Looks like he put his money where his mouth is.
So many people seem to be looking for an ulterior motive, or jumping up to slam him. Maybe, just maybe, he is just being the kind of person that others could only hope to be.
Steve
Steve

Popcorn
05-01-2005, 01:11 PM
I'm not so sure there was that much to fix other the have the money to pay for the products so they could be shipped. It seems like the other crew just committed an out and out fraud and are being given a free pass, screw them and their magazine. Have they yet to make any kind of public apology to the many customers they have screwed? I have no sympathy for them.

Nostroke
05-01-2005, 08:13 PM
I call them 'Lateniks' Popcorn-They cannot be changed.

We had one lady-did the same thing. Her hours were 8-4. she came in 8:20 every day so we made it 8:30-4:30 then 9-5 soonafter that.We couldnt go any later as we closed at 5. She came in 9:20, 9 out of 10 days. Always had an excuse, lame as they were. Always indignant that we would question her too.

Scott Lee
05-02-2005, 05:11 AM
Barbara...NOBODY calls him Isaac...he has been known as Ike Runnels for 30 yrs!...and that's the way he'd sign your autograph! LOL

Scott

onepocketchump
05-02-2005, 07:18 AM
Popcorn -

The Inside Pool website is great interent real estate. Despite the events of the past months, many, many thousands of customers have been well serviced through their online store.

We were owed a tremendous amount of money.

These are two valid business reasons for taking over a flailing business. It is very common to see run-down businesses given new life through aquistion.

In this case - the only way to have any shot at recouping the owed money was to take over the website. Along with that came the decision to help the former customers as best we could.

That is pretty much it in a nutshell. Part business, part altruism. You all can see by his posts that Scott Taylor has been forthcoming, maybe too much, about what has been the case with Inside Pool and what Sterling plans to do with it in the future.

Popcorn
05-02-2005, 11:06 AM
I kind of thought anyway. They owed so much to you you took over as a way recovering some of your loses. It is a mystery what was in their minds, continuing to sell products they knew they couldn't deliver since the suppliers had cut them off. How did they think this was going to end, were they going to just shut down and run away or something? That is why I am so skeptical about the future of the magazine. That's a tough business by people who really know what they are doing much less this crew of idiots.

Scott Lee
05-02-2005, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That is why I am so skeptical about the future of the magazine. That's a tough business by people who really know what they are doing much less this crew of idiots. <hr /></blockquote>

Popcorn...J.R. Calvert is NO idiot! He has two college degrees, and imo, is extremely bright. He is also a pro player. Perhaps, in your long and illustious business career, you have NEVER made a business mistake. However, knowing J.R.; knowing exactly what happened on all fronts;
and believing in the integrity of the magazine idea and content; I still will give him the benefit of the doubt, and hope that he can restructure the magazine, and keep it going.

Scott Lee

Popcorn
05-02-2005, 02:01 PM
Taking money from people for items you knew you were not going to ship, A Mistake? I often make mistakes, and make immediate adjustments based on the information the mistake provided. I also don't expect others to pay for my mistakes. They undoubtedly, had they not been bailed out as I seems they may have been, would have stuck everybody. I would never in my wildest dreams do what they did to people who are trusting me, in their case the customer, and neither would you. If they couldn't see what was happening and to continue it to the point of bordering on a fraud, they are in fact idiots. Maybe with all that education he should have taken a few courses in ethics, since his seems to be questionable.