PDA

View Full Version : Not paying up on a bet!!

griffith_d
04-26-2005, 07:12 PM
About a year and a half ago this guy bet me $20 on a race to 5 and he was better than me and spotted me the 8. I smoked him 5 to 2. He did not have the money...he left and said he would go get it and come back. I never saw him again, until....

Now the new place Classics where I play he showed up acting like nothing ever happened. He really is not well liked by anyone and is a complete a$$hole, so I have not approached him and let it go. Not worth it for $20. I just figured he would say he does not remember.

How many of you have been stiffed on a bet? Second, would you have asked for such a little amount of money?

Griff

Cane
04-26-2005, 07:23 PM
Griff, I think everyone who has ever gambled in pool has been stiffed on a bet. As a matter of fact, a guy they call Mexican Dave in Fayetteville, Arkansas, who frequents, the Wild On Fayetteville Billiard Palace and the Electric Cowboy, stiffed my road partner for a C Note two weeks ago. Said he was going to the ATM, there's one in the building, and headed out like a thief in the night... OH, did I say the guys name out loud? I would hate to ruin any action this welcher might find in Arkansas!!!

later,
Bob

Thunderduck
04-26-2005, 07:47 PM
Sorry dude, I'll pay you on Friday!! (just kidding)

I personally would be scared to bet on pool for this very reason... if the guy refused to pay, I would be faced with a dilemma... I could try to fight for it, threaten the guy, or whatever, but that most likely would result in a negative outcome. Or you can let it go, and then you are kind of screwed out of money... either situation is pretty bad...

Do people ever put the money they are betting on the table anymore these days to prove they are good for it?

griffith_d
04-26-2005, 07:51 PM
When I was a young punk kid, I would have kicked his ass and not thought about it twice. I definately have been stiffed before and I have run the person out of the place. But, now I am 50 years old....a little different.

Griff

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> Sorry dude, I'll pay you on Friday!! (just kidding)

I personally would be scared to bet on pool for this very reason... if the guy refused to pay, I would be faced with a dilemma... I could try to fight for it, threaten the guy, or whatever, but that most likely would result in a negative outcome. Or you can let it go, and then you are kind of screwed out of money... either situation is pretty bad...

Do people ever put the money they are betting on the table anymore these days to prove they are good for it?

<hr /></blockquote>

Cane
04-26-2005, 07:55 PM
Money isn't worth fighting for... however, there are other ways to take care of things like this. Mexican Dave was at the Midwest 9-Ball Tour stop in Fayetteville this past weekend. He was running around trying to get anyone to play him some nickle and dime 9-Ball... he's not good enough to play in the tournament, but he still likes to gamble. In any case, the minute he walked in the door, word was out on him. The best he could get was $20 a rack 9-Ball with a guy from Wichita, who made him post it up before every rack. Seabiscuit will probably never see the hundred that Dave owes him, but any time we're anywhere Dave is, we'll put the word out on him.

Later,
Bob

Nostroke
04-26-2005, 07:57 PM
Once i played a local guy who always seemed to have a lot of money and no visible means of support. I beat him for about $300 and he said he had to go to the ATM. After about half an hour i knew he wasnt coming back. He was big and bad and i figured i had no way of ever getting it. The next day i talked to another guy whom he had done the same thing to a few weeks before. I figured "easy come (almost) easy go"

Don't you know 4-5 days later he comes to the PR and hands me my money and wants to play some more? I beat him again. He never did pay the other guy though.

SO I guess i've never been stiffed on a pool bet but I dont gamble much. I sure as hell have some 'pool loans' i've written off though.

When a guy owes you money and he sees you but never mentions the debt until you do, you probably are not getting paid.

griffith_d
04-26-2005, 08:01 PM
Yes,...there two things I will not fight over...money and women. Usually, it is two fools doing the fighting.

Griff

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Money isn't worth fighting for... however, there are other ways to take care of things like this. Mexican Dave was at the Midwest 9-Ball Tour stop in Fayetteville this past weekend. He was running around trying to get anyone to play him some nickle and dime 9-Ball... he's not good enough to play in the tournament, but he still likes to gamble. In any case, the minute he walked in the door, word was out on him. The best he could get was $20 a rack 9-Ball with a guy from Wichita, who made him post it up before every rack. Seabiscuit will probably never see the hundred that Dave owes him, but any time we're anywhere Dave is, we'll put the word out on him.

Later,
Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

randyg
04-26-2005, 08:36 PM
What ever happened to "posting up"????????

tateuts
04-26-2005, 09:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> What ever happened to "posting up"???????? <hr /></blockquote>

That's the way to play. I also play pay at certain intervals if I don't know someone very well. I won't rack the next set until paid.

If someone objects to posting up, then chances are they are playing on air anyway.

If someone vouches for a player, then I'm OK with it, but it has to be someone who I respect who really knows what's going on. Still you are subject to the heated argument when your opponent is down and possibly a called match.

It's not the idea of getting stiffed that bothers me. It's the idea that someone just took a free shot at my wallet that gets me.

Chris

Thunderduck
04-26-2005, 10:43 PM
What about a situation where a lot of money is at stake and a close call happens, such as the cue ball maybe didnt strike the correct object ball first... without a referee, how would this be resolved? I am certainly hesitant to put up more then 20 a game for this reason...

CarolNYC
04-27-2005, 03:26 AM
Hey Griff,
[ QUOTE ]
How many of you have been stiffed on a bet <hr /></blockquote>
Never!

[ QUOTE ]
Second, would you have asked for such a little amount of money?
<hr /></blockquote>
Once again, the "Bronx Tale"-you got rid of him for 20 bucks-good riddance! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

cheesemouse
04-27-2005, 05:38 AM
In the pool hall I grew up in there was a hard and fast rule; 'IF YOU CAN'T PAY DON'T PLAY'........Randy said it all with "whatever happened to posting it?" Posting simply eliminates this from happening. If you didn't post you are partically to blame. Carol is right on when she says "it only cost you $20 to find out about the guys character" [paraphrased]

I understand it is a sticky subject asking to post for low level gambling with folks you think you know but honesty goes a long way. Even with buddies, you can be known for always posting, this is good thing not a pushy thing...I have friends in pool and golf where we let it ride but they are truly friends and the amounts we bet will never come between us, it is just good fun wolfing about who owes who what...between friends it always seems to come out in the wash. JMHO......

One
04-27-2005, 06:27 AM
If you don't ask him to get your money back he will feel more guilty.

hondo
04-27-2005, 06:27 AM
I wish I had a dollar for every dollar I have
been cheated out of!!

Nostroke
04-27-2005, 06:34 AM
I have seen the bigger guy take the money off the light more than once-once for 3K where he kept it all though he had lost. Took the others guys stake and all.

If you are not ready to fight and can do serious damage, the post up is meaningless vs the wrong opponent.

Cane
04-27-2005, 07:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> What ever happened to "posting up"???????? <hr /></blockquote>

Randy, On the rare occasions that I do gamble these days, I don't play unless the money is on the light UNLESS it's ole Seabiscuit or someone I know and trust implicitly. Too many guys out there these days that will shoot air at you then disappear until they think you've forgotten about it. Hey, if I remember correctly, someone who didn't post up got you a new van one time! LOL

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> What about a situation where a lot of money is at stake and a close call happens, such as the cue ball maybe didnt strike the correct object ball first... without a referee, how would this be resolved? <hr /></blockquote>

JMO, if you're gambling with someone and there is a shot that might be a questionable hit, then it's your responsibility to get an independant person who has nothing at stake in the game to watch the hit and call it good or bad. If you don't call someone over to watch the hit, your fault, not the other shooters. Many players will be honest about a bad hit, there are also many who will say "You shoulda had someone watch it".

Later,
Bob

nhp
04-27-2005, 05:13 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> About a year and a half ago this guy bet me $20 on a race to 5 and he was better than me and spotted me the 8. I smoked him 5 to 2. He did not have the money...he left and said he would go get it and come back. I never saw him again, until....

Now the new place Classics where I play he showed up acting like nothing ever happened. He really is not well liked by anyone and is a complete a$$hole, so I have not approached him and let it go. Not worth it for $20. I just figured he would say he does not remember.

How many of you have been stiffed on a bet? Second, would you have asked for such a little amount of money?

Griff <hr /></blockquote>

I've played a guy from Texas for money and he said everyone in Texas posts the money on the light before the match. How come you don't?

griffith_d
04-27-2005, 05:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> About a year and a half ago this guy bet me $20 on a race to 5 and he was better than me and spotted me the 8. I smoked him 5 to 2. He did not have the money...he left and said he would go get it and come back. I never saw him again, until....

I've played a guy from Texas for money and he said everyone in Texas posts the money on the light before the match. How come you don't? <hr /></blockquote>

Were you playing on bar tables or in a pool hall? Did you know him from before or a total stranger?

Griff

griffith_d
04-27-2005, 05:33 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Hey Griff,
&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
How many of you have been stiffed on a bet <hr /></blockquote>
Never!

&lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Second, would you have asked for such a little amount of money?
<hr /></blockquote>
Once again, the "Bronx Tale"-you got rid of him for 20 bucks-good riddance! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Good answer...I see him most every week. He is one of the best players in there. He is too good to play on a league...money player only.

Griff

griffith_d
04-27-2005, 05:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cheesemouse:</font><hr> In the pool hall I grew up in there was a hard and fast rule; 'IF YOU CAN'T PAY DON'T PLAY'........Randy said it all with "whatever happened to posting it?" Posting simply eliminates this from happening. If you didn't post you are partically to blame. Carol is right on when she says "it only cost you $20 to find out about the guys character" [paraphrased]

I understand it is a sticky subject asking to post for low level gambling with folks you think you know but honesty goes a long way. Even with buddies, you can be known for always posting, this is good thing not a pushy thing...I have friends in pool and golf where we let it ride but they are truly friends and the amounts we bet will never come between us, it is just good fun wolfing about who owes who what...between friends it always seems to come out in the wash. JMHO...... <hr /></blockquote>

True...I have posted before and I knew the guy beforehand...did not think he would walk out like that. Most of the people I gamble with either I know them or I ask about the money ahead of time. Some people we have a running bet...never even speak of the amount...it is always the same and sometimes carries over to next week; depending on the amount.

I prefer to run a race instead of per game, because if you end up winning by one game you only get the one game's worth. I want the full amount win or lose.

Griff

griffith_d
04-27-2005, 05:53 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote randyg:</font><hr> What ever happened to "posting up"???????? <hr /></blockquote>

Randy, On the rare occasions that I do gamble these days, I don't play unless the money is on the light UNLESS it's ole Seabiscuit or someone I know and trust implicitly. Too many guys out there these days that will shoot air at you then disappear until they think you've forgotten about it. Hey, if I remember correctly, someone who didn't post up got you a new van one time! LOL

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Thunderduck:</font><hr> What about a situation where a lot of money is at stake and a close call happens, such as the cue ball maybe didnt strike the correct object ball first... without a referee, how would this be resolved? <hr /></blockquote>

JMO, if you're gambling with someone and there is a shot that might be a questionable hit, then it's your responsibility to get an independant person who has nothing at stake in the game to watch the hit and call it good or bad. If you don't call someone over to watch the hit, your fault, not the other shooters. Many players will be honest about a bad hit, there are also many who will say "You shoulda had someone watch it".

Later,
Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

Exactly...bad hits really do not play much part in the outcome of paying up for a race....

Griff

bustah360
04-27-2005, 08:42 PM
In 2004 at the super billiards expo the air was thick with action in the lower level like it is every year. I saw to young bucks playing for a gee. 2hrs later as I'm waiting to get into the VIP entrance for the male pro event I see one of the kids looking around for his opponent. Apparently he got the stiff and "Lemme go to the ATM, I'll be right back" line.

The funny part is this. The kid asks around to see if someone would muscle the other kid when he found him. Offering ppl he asked 25%. Low and behold right before I'm about to enter for seating, I see this huge dude walking with the winner, cornered the other loser who started singing every song he could immediately think of. Needless to say I'm sure the kid got his gee, due to no news of any beatdowns happening inside or out in the parking lot.

I see it this way. If you're gonna gamble, you can't lose what you don't put in. Put the money up or don't even offer. You'd be surprised how many really good players wouldn't mind splitting table time just for a couple of sets. Just cuz the guy might be big and tough, there's always someone bigger and could use some extra money. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<font color="red">BTW...Carol! You were at the door running the table at the VIP, sorry I didn't tell you. Had too much junk food in my hand to stop, LOL!</font color>

Jimmy B
04-27-2005, 09:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Money isn't worth fighting for... In any case, the minute he walked in the door, word was out on him. The best he could get was $20 a rack 9-Ball with a guy from Wichita, who made him post it up before every rack. Later,
Bob
<hr /></blockquote>

First I'll say that it's not the money it's the principle and it may be worth fighting over, the next thing I would say would be the minute I saw the guy post up the $20 I would have walked over and picked it up, now he'd only owe you $80, if he posted again he would be down to $60. Your point that it's not worth fighting over is probably what would stop him from doing anything about it and his willingness to gamble might make him pay up so he could get a game. I might have a different point of view if I wasn't so big, but I don't think we'll ever find that out.

JB

SpiderMan
04-28-2005, 08:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nhp:</font><hr> I've played a guy from Texas for money and he said everyone in Texas posts the money on the light before the match. <hr /></blockquote>

He lied.

SpiderMan

glau
04-28-2005, 03:32 PM
I was playing at my local tavern with a regular customer for drinks after each game. I lost the first two games and got him a beer after each loss. I won the third and he says, "Oh, were we betting on this one too?" I called him a son of a bitch and he said no one ever called him that. I said I just did. His buddy was holding him back because I would have punched him in the nose otherwise.

One
04-28-2005, 05:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote glau:</font><hr> I was playing at my local tavern with a regular customer for drinks after each game. I lost the first two games and got him a beer after each loss. I won the third and he says, "Oh, were we betting on this one too?" I called him a son of a bitch and he said no one ever called him that. I said I just did. His buddy was holding him back because I would have punched him in the nose otherwise. <hr /></blockquote>
Do you own a motorcycle and leather jacket?

SPetty
04-28-2005, 05:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> Do you own a motorcycle and leather jacket? <hr /></blockquote>Hi One,

Have you had your medication adjusted recently? I'm seeing a bit of a sense of humor out of you lately... It's fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

One
04-28-2005, 06:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> Do you own a motorcycle and leather jacket? <hr /></blockquote>Hi One,

Have you had your medication adjusted recently? I'm seeing a bit of a sense of humor out of you lately... It's fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>What humor? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just asked a question. Biker guys are more violent and they drink beer which makes them less conscious and even more violent, they have long beard too, and tattoos all over the place.

Nostalgia
04-28-2005, 06:40 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>What humor? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just asked a question. Biker guys are more violent and they drink beer which makes them less conscious and even more violent, they have long beard too, and tattoos all over the place. <hr /></blockquote>
Hahahaha you're kidding, right? Um...right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

-Joe

sneakypapi
04-28-2005, 09:12 PM
Im not much of a gambler when it comes to pool, but once in awhile I will bet small money. One night a few friends and I were playing for a buck a game. I know just a buck for the fun of it. When I lost of course I paid up, when I played one guy who I am not the most friendly with made excuses not to pay up, I just brushed it off calling him cheap. The most important thing to me was he lost not the money, so I still won.

One
04-29-2005, 05:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostalgia:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>What humor? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just asked a question. Biker guys are more violent and they drink beer which makes them less conscious and even more violent, they have long beard too, and tattoos all over the place. <hr /></blockquote>
Hahahaha you're kidding, right? Um...right? /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

-Joe <hr /></blockquote>Kidding about what? Beard and tattoos? Or that I am not writing humor?

SpiderMan
04-29-2005, 07:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> Do you own a motorcycle and leather jacket? <hr /></blockquote>Hi One,

Have you had your medication adjusted recently? I'm seeing a bit of a sense of humor out of you lately... It's fun! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>What humor? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just asked a question. Biker guys are more violent and they drink beer which makes them less conscious and even more violent, they have long beard too, and tattoos all over the place.
<hr /></blockquote>

I thought it was a joke also.

Over here, all the classic "symbols" of the biker counterculture (tattoos, Harley, "colors", etc) have been taken up by "yuppie bikers", white-collar road kings who don't even change their own tires and oil /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a motorcycle and a leather jacket, and have not been without a bike since 8th grade, but have never had a tattoo or a long beard. And I can't remember the last time I had a fight. I'm too sane for that - I'll probably just shoot the next SOB that assaults me.

SpiderMan

Fran Crimi
04-29-2005, 07:34 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr>

I've seen it happen all the time. Even if you know the guy...you never know.

Over the years, I found that it's pretty hard being a girl in a pool room, but when it comes to betting, it has it's advantages. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only time I was ever stiffed on a bet, the guy was ridiculed so badly by the other players for "stiffing a girl", that he eventually came up with the money, just to stop the harassment.

Fran

poolturtle
04-29-2005, 07:44 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Quote nhp:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I've played a guy from Texas for money and he said everyone in Texas posts the money on the light before the match.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

He lied.

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>

Spidey's right. He did lie. In most of the places I've played in, (Mostly in the smaller towns) they have rules and signs up against gambling. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that there isn't a big show about it. Most of the money travels straight from pocket to hand.

A simple solution is to ask the guy to show you the cash. If he complains, tell him you've been stiffed before, and are just covering your a$$. Obviously, you'd want to pull out your cash too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

JMHO

Cane
04-29-2005, 08:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr>What humor? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif I just asked a question. Biker guys are more violent and they drink beer which makes them less conscious and even more violent, they have long beard too, and tattoos all over the place. <hr /></blockquote>

<hr /></blockquote>Kidding about what? Beard and tattoos? Or that I am not writing humor? <hr /></blockquote>

Man, you watch too many Cult Movies or something. Many on here don't know my "past" so let me give you a little history. Got my first Harley when I was 15 years old. Owned one until two years ago. Yeah, I had long hair, a beard, I have a Harley Tattoo on my shoulder, Several tattoos on my upper arms, and an Eagle&amp;Rose tattoo on my calf. I also have 3 scars from bullet wounds and 7 from knives. OH WAIT!!! I got those in Military Service, not in a Biker Club or a fight! As a matter of fact, I can't say this with certainty, but I was probably the most hardcore of the bikers/former bikers that visit CCB, and I know there are a few on here that are/were bikers... met one of them and he's a helluva nice guy. In other words, you sound like the typical southern redneck that depends on stereotype rather than true life observation.

Oh, and being the old retired biker that I am, if you'll read back through this thread, you'll see that I'm the one that said money isn't worth fighting over. The not fighting isn't a fear thing for me. I'm not a small puppy by any means. At 6'4" 270 pounds, 50" chest, 36" waist and upper arms as big as my neck, plus a 20plus year background in martial arts, I don't have any trouble taking care of myself. I just don't find it necessary to fight over trivial things (which to me, money is a trivial thing... I lose some today, I can make more tomorrow, no big deal), and to tell you what the "real world" is like, neither did any of my brothers that I rode with. We might have all looked like we'd just "killed your Momma" and we drew a lot of stares in hotels, bars and such, but those stares only came from either those who didn't know us, or those were ingnorant enough to believe the stereotypes and hype they see in the movies.

Enough of this nonsense... I think I'll go drink a Budweiser for breakfast and clean the evil and blood off of my leather jacket. Hell, might just go out after the beer and find someones ass to kick!

Later,
Bob (now clean cut and look more respectable, but still a biker at heart)

griffith_d
04-29-2005, 05:17 PM
Man...you can be my debt collector anytime.

Griff

Scott Lee
04-30-2005, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> In other words, you sound like the typical southern redneck that depends on stereotype rather than true life observation.
<hr /></blockquote>

Bob...Since you're kinda 'new' here, lemme clue ya in! Patrick, aka One, is not from our world! He DEFINITELY ain't no southern boy! He lives somewhere in the 7th Dimension (whatever that is), where he possesses skills and knowledge unimaginable to us mortal humans. Apparently he frequents our plane often enough to input into the Earth's Internet, and it would appear, that he plays a mean game of Virtual Pool! In real life, though, he has yet to show us that he can, in FL's famous vernacular, run "three friggen' balls"! LMAO /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

Cane
04-30-2005, 11:25 AM
Scott,

Yeah, I've since figured out that ONE is a Virtual Pool Champion, perfect tables, perfect rolls, perfect cushions, perfect everything. I even went and read through his website and, well, lets just say that henceforth I shall consider his opinions on all things as being seen though a computer screen and nothing more. I let him get under my skin on the biker thing, because I just couldn't comprehend how someone who claims such superior intellegence could possibly be plagued with absolute ignorance, and I let him, for a brief moment, pull me down to his level. I will try not to let it happen again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif OR... maybe I should have proven him right and beat Dave down and took the hundred from him for 'bisquit! Nah, at my age, it hurts more to win a fight than it used to when I lost one!!!

Later,
Bob

griffith_d
04-30-2005, 06:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Scott,

Yeah, I've since figured out that ONE is a Virtual Pool Champion, perfect tables, perfect rolls, perfect cushions, perfect everything. I even went and read through his website and, well, lets just say that henceforth I shall consider his opinions on all things as being seen though a computer screen and nothing more. I let him get under my skin on the biker thing, because I just couldn't comprehend how someone who claims such superior intellegence could possibly be plagued with absolute ignorance, and I let him, for a brief moment, pull me down to his level. I will try not to let it happen again! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif OR... maybe I should have proven him right and beat Dave down and took the hundred from him for 'bisquit! Nah, at my age, it hurts more to win a fight than it used to when I lost one!!!

Later,
Bob <hr /></blockquote>

The thing about Vitual Players...they may only have Virtual Money, make Vitual Bets and have Virtual Women.

Griff

One
05-01-2005, 01:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Enough of this nonsense... I think I'll go drink a Budweiser for breakfast and clean the evil and blood off of my leather jacket. Hell, might just go out after the beer and find someones ass to kick!<hr /></blockquote>
You don't want to make your martial arts training a waste, that's why you want to fight.

One
05-01-2005, 01:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> because I just couldn't comprehend how someone who claims such superior intellegence could possibly be plagued with absolute ignorance, <hr /></blockquote>If you see a guy wearing a pink ballet dress and another guy who wears biker clothes, who is more violent? You can not know that if you don't have enough experience. Out of 100 ballet guys maybe 1-2 have ever punched someone, for the biker guys that would be about 90 of 100.

Cane, have you ever punched someone?

tateuts
05-01-2005, 02:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> If you see a guy wearing a pink ballet dress and another guy who wears biker clothes, who is more violent?

<hr /></blockquote>

The real question is, if Cane came walking at you wearing a Pink Ballet dress, which direction would you run?

Cane
05-01-2005, 03:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> If you see a guy wearing a pink ballet dress and another guy who wears biker clothes, who is more violent?

<font color="blue"> How do I know? I don't know either one of them, and even though I don't tout superior intellegence, I'm smart enough to not judge a book by it's cover. I mean, geez, who would have thought Jeffrey Dahmer was a cannibal? Looked like a nice enough guy to me, didn't he to you?</font color>

You can not know that if you don't have enough experience. Out of 100 ballet guys maybe 1-2 have ever punched someone, for the biker guys that would be about 90 of 100.

<font color="blue">Oh, I see! I didn't realize that!!! Being a biker, a martial artist and a pool player, I would just have assumed that the group that had punched the higher ratio of people was the group that had to listen most often to the unfounded opinions of morons who found their opinions on things that have no statistacal value, like "I know, becaue I am the ONE who knows".</font color>

<font color="blue">Listen puppy, I was career military and I did things that would give you nightmares that would make you wake up screaming for your Momma. When you were a child, Patrick, (quite recently it appears from the language of your postings and your attitude) and you were afraid at night that something was under your bed, or in your closet, it was people like me. People like me and millions more like me, that served in the military institutions of this world's free countries... People that are the reason people like you are allowed by their governments to have internet access and voice your opinions worldwide, REGARDLESS of how right or wrong they are, or how offensive they are to other people. Don't worry about what I did in my past... First, it's none of your business and second, you couldn't handle it! There is nothing in computer games that could prepare you for it. </font color> <hr /></blockquote>

<font color="blue">
ONE, might I suggest that if you want to pursue this along these lines, bring it up on the Non Pool Related Board. This isn't the place for this. I know that not many pay attention to your posts there either, but I promise, I will. I'll answer any intellegent topic you want to bring up, but I'll no longer clutter the pool related board with this ridiculous banter about who is violent or who is not because of the way they dress. This started out as an entirely different thread... and to that thread, my answer is still

RUIN THE GUYS ACTION EVERY CHANCE YOU GET, BUT I WOULDN'T FIGHT HIM OVER THE MONEY, BECAUSE I JUST DON'T THINK IT'S WORTH IT.

Chris... I saw your post before I got into a battle of wits with this unarmed whatever he is, and I just want you to know that with legs shaven and hair styled, I look pretty peaceful and cute in a pink ballet skirt! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Later,
Bob (now a relative pacifist)</font color>

Chris Cass
05-01-2005, 05:01 PM
Hi Griff,

I would tell him hey, I'm still waiting for my $20. If he comes back with any other answer I would say, you just don't say your going to get the doe and then stiff me. There's nothing that pisses me off more than someone who woofs at me, and doesn't have the money to pay up when they lose. Myself, I would have been all over him for that alone and doesn't pay me after the set. He would have heard it the first time.

Regards,

C.C.

SpiderMan
05-01-2005, 06:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Chris... I saw your post before I got into a battle of wits with this unarmed whatever he is, and I just want you to know that with legs shaven and hair styled, I look pretty peaceful and cute in a pink ballet skirt! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Later,
Bob (now a relative pacifist)</font color> <hr /></blockquote>

Somebody - PLEASE erase that picture from my thoughts. This guy is as big as Deeman, and I wouldn't want to see either of them in a pink skirt!

SpiderMan

Cane
05-02-2005, 09:22 AM
Aw, c'mon Marty! I had an ex GF that was 6'4" tall and she left a lot of nice clothes here... maybe me, you and Dee can go sporting around Clicks on Marsh ALL wearing pink!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

(tongue in cheek, of course)

Bob

PQQLK9
05-02-2005, 09:30 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Aw, c'mon Marty! I had an ex GF that was 6'4" tall and she left a lot of nice clothes here... maybe me, you and Dee can go sporting around Clicks on Marsh ALL wearing pink!!! /ccboard/images/graemlins/ooo.gif

(tongue in cheek, of course)

Bob <hr /></blockquote>
These guys (Redskins Hogettes) do ok with the dresses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
http://www.registermyass.com/hogettes%20copy.jpg

Cane
05-02-2005, 09:37 AM
Nick, Hey, that's probably about what me, Dee and Marty would look like, minus the noses of course... on the other hand, my beak ain't small, so... Damn, scary, ain't it!

Bob

griffith_d
05-02-2005, 04:52 PM
I think maybe he was pissed that I beat him so bad,...spot or not. It turned out that half the games I won I did not use it...my money ball was already gone. I beat him in front of three of his best buddies...I am not sure that they could speak much English.

Griff

Barbara
05-02-2005, 07:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fran Crimi:</font><hr>Over the years, I found that it's pretty hard being a girl in a pool room, but when it comes to betting, it has it's advantages. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The only time I was ever stiffed on a bet, the guy was ridiculed so badly by the other players for "stiffing a girl", that he eventually came up with the money, just to stop the harassment.

Fran <hr /></blockquote>

I have to agree with Fran here.

If I ever bet on a game and got stiffed, there would be no end to the embarassment that person would go through at the ph I play at. Such is the male ego at Tacony Billiards.

It pays to be a classy and respected female player. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

And honestly, I don't gamble. I go through enough agravation to earn my paycheck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif The side bets kill me though! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Barbara

AmazingBrewdini
05-02-2005, 11:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote griffith_d:</font><hr> About a year and a half ago this guy bet me $20 on a race to 5 and he was better than me and spotted me the 8. I smoked him 5 to 2. He did not have the money...he left and said he would go get it and come back. I never saw him again, until....

Next time have your opponent post the money up front. The
way I like it, is you either put the money up on the light, or you have a mutually agreed on neutral third party hold on to it until the set is done. This avoids problems with guys shooting air barrels or trying to welch on the bet.

BTW-that guy must be a real piece of work to welch on a measly $20 bet on a race. $20 is usually a bet on one game out my way. Fifty dollars plus table time is my minimum on a race.

As to the second part of your query, hell yes I would have asked for my $20. It's not the money it's the principle! Oh well, live and learn.

AmazingBrewdini
05-03-2005, 12:52 AM
Don't waste your time on this dude. He'll get under your skin and then you reply. Next thing ya know you're banned. Trust me on this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

He even has his own cheerleading squad headed by the board's self appointed Chief Hypocrite / Director of Sanctimony and Head Momo. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Casper
05-21-2005, 02:22 AM
Once I play this guy for about $50 (in my currency,race to 7. My friend warned me that this guy often cheats when playing, but I didn't afraid of it. He was good, but luck came to me and I win 7 to 5. I'm happy at that tome, it never crossed in my mind that I win from a player that have more skills than me, + I got $50... But the thing that really painful is that the man only pays me $20. He said that he will pay the rest tomorrow. Gues what, he never pays!

I was furious..!Is that the way people play for money? I think if he doesn't have money why should asking for a bet? Now everytime people ask for a bet I will ask how many sets he wants to play and show the money. If the don't do that then there is no game.

LJC_Cues
05-22-2005, 04:54 AM
People I know that are good for the money I bet with them for whatever they dont ever have to show it to me because we are all friends and we know that each other will pay. If someone doesnt have money on them and we ask them to play a game they tell us up front yeah I will play but I dont have any cash on me. We call these credit games! Thats with people who are friends. Now if I dont know the person or dont know them that great I always say we have to post up! This guy wanted to play a race to 5 in 8ball with me spotting him 3 games for $50 a set I said sure post up! He only had $20 on him he said I if I lose I will give you the rest tommorow I told him if he wanted to play me in that game he can go to the atm right next door if not I was not playing. He went to the atm I ended up winning 2 sets and then he quit on me. But at least I didnt have to wait til tommorow because like that garth brooks song tommorow never comes!!

05-23-2005, 09:38 AM
Goes with the teritory.Some people get messed up from gambling,turnes into addiction,we all know where addiction leads.We end up doing things we don't /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <font color="red"> </font color> want to do.I try not to make excues for other peoples behavior,but have been told,try to understand why people do the things they do and you will be able to let go and smile.

griffith_d
05-23-2005, 04:47 PM
I am sure I will never see the money, as it is not worth it. Most everyone I talk to about him..."he is scum". Why weren't they around when I was betting. Anyway, about the only thing I could get would be something out of his girlfriend, but I my pull back a nub with the scuzzing looking thing she is. I don't think so.

Griff

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LJC_Cues:</font><hr> People I know that are good for the money I bet with them for whatever they dont ever have to show it to me because we are all friends and we know that each other will pay. If someone doesnt have money on them and we ask them to play a game they tell us up front yeah I will play but I dont have any cash on me. We call these credit games! Thats with people who are friends. Now if I dont know the person or dont know them that great I always say we have to post up! This guy wanted to play a race to 5 in 8ball with me spotting him 3 games for $50 a set I said sure post up! He only had $20 on him he said I if I lose I will give you the rest tommorow I told him if he wanted to play me in that game he can go to the atm right next door if not I was not playing. He went to the atm I ended up winning 2 sets and then he quit on me. But at least I didnt have to wait til tommorow because like that garth brooks song tommorow never comes!! <hr /></blockquote>

jmonkey
05-25-2005, 08:46 PM
I just play for the competition. The closest I come to gambling these days is when I pay an entry fee for a tournament. The problem with betting on a game of pool is that it really isn't a game of chance and sometimes its not even clear if its about the skill. I don't bet with strangers because I don't know if they are going to welch, cheat or are hiding their speed, and I don't bet with my friends because I want to keep them.

Deeman2
05-26-2005, 12:30 PM
Deep in the heart of my part of Texas, we play small amount ($20) pay as you go but usually post larger amounts with a known burley neutral party. I have no problems (6'3" and 270 may help here) but one of our locals got wired for 27K almost six months ago and he's never seen a dime of it. He was nuts for trusting the guy who was a local as well but who everyone thought was good for it.

The most I have played for in the last couple of weeks was $400 on an 8 ball bar box game and I lost that! However, the "holder" handed me the $800 and I handed it to the winner. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif My luck, I won the $105 for the tournament, about $60 in side bets and lose 4 squeekers to a guy who has never beaten anyone before. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif You play you pay.

Deeman
who is stupid enough to gamble on air barrels in a state where guns are as prominent as cigarette lighters...go figure

olivoil03
06-03-2005, 06:11 AM
Yes, I've been stiffed. A lot of places around here don't allow you to gamble so posting is hard to do out of sight. What I usually do is pull out my cash so that he can see it and place it on a table (not the pool table) and motion for him to do the same. If he does it then I tell him "better yet lets just keep it in our pockets for now so we don't alert anyone that we are gambling". That way I see the cash, and he has no excuse. Else if he doesn't do it or says he has to go to the ATM for the cash, I will instruct him to do so beforehand.

BoroNut
06-03-2005, 01:38 PM
I have never paid up on a bet in my life. I sleep perfectly well at night thank you and think of myself as a highly moral person, entirely comfortable with myself.

Boro Nut