PDA

View Full Version : Funny thing happened to me at the 9-ball tourney..

Nostalgia
04-26-2005, 08:30 PM
Some of you may remember my problems with tournaments. I've never placed in the money in the last 4 years I've been entering. The most recent one, at Comet, I have been consistently knocked off the winner's side in the first or second match. I've only made it to the third match once.

I entered again tonight. The format is double elimination, handicapped by balls. Race to 4 on the winner's side, race to 3 on the loser's.

First match: He's giving me the 6. I win 4-0.

Second match: I'm getting the 8. I win 4-1.

Third match: I'm giving up the 8. I win 4-2.

Fourth match: Playing even. I win 4-1.

By now I'm ecstatic. I'd never seen the fifth round! It was like a magical place where faeries and dragons live. I've been playing very consistently, making good runs and playing wicked safeties. I've made some dumb mistakes, but I always knew exactly what went wrong and didn't get upset.

So the next match gets called. Me vs. Jim, an old APA teammate who consistently beats me. But wait, isn't Jim on the loser's side?? YES! I'm in the finals!! And I'm getting the 8 ball.

It's a nail-biter. I win the first and second games. Jim comes back to tie it at 2-2. I run out from the 2 the next game, then lose the 6th game by missing position on the 8.

Now it's hill-hill. Somehow I picked up a heckler. I must have dropped a house on this girl's sister, because she was dying to see me lose. Now I'm on the seven...off a little on position for the 8, faced with this shot, the balls just about a ball apart:

START(%He6X7%Iq5F0%Pg5Y0%UD1D3%Vd7X2)END

Wei table:http://endeavor.med.nyu.edu/~wei/pool/pooltable2.html

I take a breath, line up the shot, step into my stance, smooth, slow warmup strokes, look at the 8-ball and *crack*, dead into the heart of the corner pocket.

I damn near fell over /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

So I'll say it again: Thanks, Fran! Every time I stepped into my stance, I heard Karen say (quietly), "I think about my stance on every shot." Every time I lined up "that" shot, I heard Mark say, "Aim a little fuller than you think you should." Be sure to thank him for me, Fran.

Sorry if I'm a bit wordy, but I'm so excited I could burst.

-Joe

Gayle in MD
04-26-2005, 09:00 PM
Wow, congratulations! Wish I could have been there to see that, friend!
Way to go!
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
04-26-2005, 11:21 PM
Great win... glad you finally got that monkey off your back. now, about this female heckler. Happened to me 1 day long ago. i asked her if she had anything better to do, her reply was simply this. " i could think of alot better things to do than sit here watching this foolish game" I replied like this. " Give me about 10 minutes until this match is over and i will come with you and you can show me"
Her male friend had an attitude about what i said and he was a regular in the pool room also and i told him that it was the only way i knew of shutting her up. He then realized what she had been doing and simply told her to shut up. She stormed out and was to never be heard from again....................................mike

CarolNYC
04-27-2005, 03:22 AM
CONGRATULATIONS Joe,
You've felt the so-called "winning feeling"-thats all she wrote-YOUR ON!
Good for you!And hopefully many more wins! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif
Carol

One
04-27-2005, 06:23 AM
I was playing my first 3-ball tournament, I had found the optimal break.

I was playing my worst game ever in 3 years, I was losing 1-4, match to 5, then I ran out the match and the remaining 3 matches to win the tournament, pretty exciting even when I knew I would win the tournament 99%. Video (http://poollogics.port5.com/videos/gamespy/tournaments/1307.htm)

Nostalgia
04-27-2005, 06:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote cueball1950:</font><hr>now, about this female heckler.<hr /></blockquote>
The funny thing is, I had never met her before. I didn't play her in the tourney, either. Every time Jim made a shot she cheered. I even heard her say, "Boy, I hope he makes this." Every time I made a shot she groaned or made that "tsk" noise.

I asked Jim, "Does she have money on this game, or does she just hate me?" He had never met her, either.

Weird.

-Joe

Fran Crimi
04-27-2005, 06:52 AM
Wow! That's awesome, Joe! There's really no surprise on our end. You know how we all feel about your game. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I'll send Karen and Mark e-mails right now.

Fran

CarolNYC
04-27-2005, 07:39 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Weird. <hr /></blockquote>
No Joe,
Just plain "RUDE!"
But that just makes the win even sweeter-"thank you,thank you very much!
Carol~doing the two-step and singing "Go Joe!" /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Nostalgia
04-27-2005, 07:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr>But that just makes the win even sweeter-"thank you,thank you very much!<hr /></blockquote>

You know it! I wanted to beat her just as much as I wanted to beat my opponent /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif And it was sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet.

hehehe

-Joe