PDA

View Full Version : Im always ahead...so why does it happen?

8ballscratch
04-28-2005, 06:16 PM
I didn't know if I should have posted this in the beginner, because Im not but whatever...

Me and one of my friends have been playing lots of pool latley. We have gotten pretty darn good. We learn by messing around -- angles, trick shots, and some other very interesting and usefull things.

The biggest problem I have is that Im exceding my friends skill level (either that or he's not always on top of his game). Now you probably think this is a good thing right? Wrong! Just about every single time Im ahead (which is all the time)...I get to the 8 ball and hes still got about 4-6 balls still left. I cant hit it in. I scratch, miss, or his balls are in the way and I cant make a single shot, he catches up and gets a simple shot on the 8ball (or I just lose). This goes for being ahead all together.

Anyone have a remedy for this, am I not supposed to be far ahead? Is there any way to break which helps move the 8-ball in an advantageous position (all while hitting in 2-3 other balls)?

Its really annoying cuz im playing way better.

Also, whats a good beginner book and video to get. And then a good advanced book and video to get?

BTW: We play on a smaller table (the ones at my local club are much bigger). Im finding it difficult to adjust, shots feel like they're a mile away. Should we stop playing on the small table, could it throw our game off?

PQQLK9
04-28-2005, 06:29 PM
Stop playing for 3 weeks and then quit alltogether. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Nostalgia
04-28-2005, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> Stop playing for 3 weeks and then quit alltogether. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
You know, I seem to remember you giving me similar advice when I asked a basic question. Jerk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

To the original poster, 8 ball games are lost frequently by being too agressive. If you've got one or two balls left, and you see that you will not have a decent shot on the 8-ball, play a safety. Maybe look for a way to move the 8-ball into an advantageous position while making life difficult for your opponent. You don't always have to go for the runout.

-JOe

PQQLK9
04-28-2005, 06:48 PM
I think is was another Jerk /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sid_Vicious
04-29-2005, 05:22 AM
Two problems. One, you get a sympathy bone in yourself since the skill levels are different and you are beating your friend. I myself still find this as a problem and find a little wager on the game to help, even if it's just for a quarter, but make it real money you that actually give one another, and pay by the game. #2, play the 8 like it requires shape, especially piss poor resultant shape for your buddy, in case you miss, EVEN if it is a high percentage makeable shot for yourself. The last ball requires a mental perception of CB shape even though you don't have anything left afterwards, otherwise you play it different that the other MADE shots. There's an adage, "If you are behind in the game/match, play agressive, and if you are ahead, be conservative." As already stated, stick a safety on your opponent, rolling the 8 toward the intended pocket(called in case it falls) and leaving yourself a gimme next shot if you miss. Focus primarily on your shape.

You will find the sympathy the hardest hurdle to beat out of yourself, and in all honesty, this is only a game so being compassionate ain't bad, it's the nice side of anyone and everyone coming out from themselves, uniquely positive as a quality but killer to a finish and a win at times.

In pool you either need to be cold blooded or emotionless(playing your internal, private game) to finish well against weak players. Just keep having fun, and remember, a small wager makes a lot of differenct on your focus during the winning shots. Don't lose the fun factor, losing happens, be happy!!!Jm2c...sid

PQQLK9
04-29-2005, 05:38 AM
You are FL aren't you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

CarolNYC
04-29-2005, 05:42 AM
[ QUOTE ]

In pool you either need to be cold blooded or emotionless(playing your internal, private game) to finish well against weak players. Just keep having fun, and remember, a small wager makes a lot of differenct on your focus during the winning shots. Don't lose the fun factor, losing happens, be happy <hr /></blockquote>

Tap,tap,tap!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
04-29-2005, 05:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote 8ballscratch:</font><hr> ...Just about every single time Im ahead (which is all the time)... <hr /></blockquote>

In 8-ball, having all your group pocketed is not necesarilly an advantage. Your balls are your soldiers and if you kill them off you will often lose.

First question: do you guys know anything about BCA or APA rules and do you know what a defensive shot is?

Billy_Bob
04-29-2005, 08:34 AM
There is a thing called one ball hell. If you have just one ball left on the table and your opponent has many balls left, then it is easy for your opponent to leave you without a shot.

And there is another thing called controlling the table. The 8-ball is the key to winning. If you can block the pockets with your balls near where the 8-ball is, then you control those pockets and also the 8-ball.

I would suggest getting the DVD by Jimmy Reid called "The Art of 8 Ball". This DVD explains exceptionally well how to win depending on which balls are where. Which balls to shoot first, etc. He runs rack after rack explaining what he is doing with each shot and why.

The Art of 8 Ball...
http://www.freepoollessons.com/video/index.shtml

poolturtle
04-29-2005, 08:57 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I get to the 8 ball and hes still got about 4-6 balls still left. I cant hit it in. I scratch, miss, or his balls are in the way and I cant make a single shot, he catches up and gets a simple shot on the 8ball (or I just lose). This goes for being ahead all together.
<hr /></blockquote>

To me, it sounds like a big part of your problem is your positional play, strategically. You may be playing good position between each of the other balls, but you're probably not planning ahead to how you get to the 8 ball.

I agree with billy bob. Jimmy Reid's 8-ball video is great. He walks you through each rack, starting from the 8 ball working backwards.

There is a strategy rule that says to always think 3 balls ahead. A good practice drill is one that Sid_vicious told me about. Start with 2 or 3 balls (whichever you feel more comfortable with, depending on your skill level)and the 8 ball. Break them up and, starting with ball in hand, run out the table. Do this until you can consistantly do it at least 75% of the time. Then add another ball. Once you can run all 7 and the 8, add opposing balls. Keep working up to a full rack.

I haven't gotten to practice as much anymore, but the times I have done the drills have helped my game a lot.

Thanks again Sid /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Nostroke
04-29-2005, 09:10 AM
He plays smarter than you. You dont try to make your balls until you know you can make all of them or have a good safe to play.

Most 8 Ball players dont play a strategic game but that's what it is especially at the mid to upper skill level.

Fran Crimi
04-29-2005, 09:25 AM
It sounds like you may be just knocking off all your stripes or solids and then looking around to see where the 8 ball is after that.

Try to think as much ahead as you can. The last ball you shoot before the 8 should be your "key ball." That's a pool term meaning set-up ball. Pick a ball that will help you set up for the 8 ball and save it for last. It's a little more complicated than that but that's the basic idea.

yegon
04-29-2005, 10:52 AM
well how about picking a key ball for starters?

try to pick one of your balls that allows easiest position for the 8 (that is your key ball). then pick another one that allows you to get good position on your key ball. Now play all your balls leaving these two for last. If you chose well you should be able to run out more often.

If the 8 ball is blocked do not pocket all your balls, make a rule for yourself to leave at least 2 or 3 balls on the table if you can not finnish the runout and play a safety (it does not have to be a safety where your oponent does not see his balls, that one is very difficult if all his balls are still out there. Most of the times I try to block a pocket for my oponent's balls, this has two advantages, he can not run out and you have a ball near a pocket to play an easy shot)

hondo
04-29-2005, 10:52 AM
Tap! Tap! Tap! With all due respect, you have not
progressed as far as you think you have. Pool is
more than making balls; you have to have a plan to
pocket the 8 ball. Play with some of the old timers.
They'll let you get most of your balls off the table
before they ever try to run the table. Good players
are smart players.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Nostroke:</font><hr> He plays smarter than you. You dont try to make your balls until you know you can make all of them or have a good safe to play.

Most 8 Ball players dont play a strategic game but that's what it is especially at the mid to upper skill level. <hr /></blockquote>