PDA

View Full Version : 7 vs. 7&8

Keith Talent
04-29-2005, 07:17 AM
How much more of an advantage would you say is getting the 7 and the 8 (both called) vs. just the 7? Against a B+/A- player?
I had just gotten murdered in the previous set, even, and felt getting the 7 wouldn't be quite enough but the 6, or maybe the 7 plus 1 on the wire, would be asking too much. Somehow, though, I'd won (he'd lost) the first set playing even, but the guy appeared to have woken up after that.:D

BoroNut
04-29-2005, 03:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Keith Talent:</font><hr> How much more of an advantage would you say is getting the 7 and the 8 (both called) vs. just the 7?<hr /></blockquote>

For the benefit of those of us who are me, what does this mean exactly Keith? It's obviously some form of handicapping. How does it work?

Boro Nut

TennesseeJoe
04-29-2005, 04:20 PM
It has a lot to do with how good you play---not just how good your opponent plays. It would do you good to play someone of lesser skills than you to see what it is like on the other side of the fence. Even if you play an equal opponent some cheap sets and give him or her a spot it will give you some perspective. Sorry I couldn't give o more info but this is one that takes someone to experience themselves.

Keith Talent
04-29-2005, 05:11 PM
Hello BoroNut ... well, I've been hoping for some perspective from my betters on this because I'm just wading into the gambling thing. Anyway, I was asking about perceptions on these basic 9-ball handicaps ... if you spot somebody the 7, say, that's an additional game-winning ball for them, though it's typically called and usually doesn't count on the break. You could add the 8 to that and it ordinarily wouldn't make much difference to a strong player who's running out, but it does open the window on the odd combo, and could save you from losing your other game ball to an early combo by your opponent.

A B player would typically give the 7 to a C ... but when you figure in B+/A-, maybe, vs. a C+, or some other odd matchup, the negotiating can get more complicated ...