PDA

View Full Version : To Ladies Who Are Runners ...

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 04:16 AM
Whatever you do, Please don't run alone. I know how great it feels to run outdoors. There's nothing like it, getting up early in the morning, running along and smelling those heavenly earthy aromas, or the relaxing evening run after a long day, but the risks involved are not worth it.

If you are a runner, and just can't give up the pleasure of running outdoors, atleast make it a point to run with others.

Stay alert and aware whenever you are approaching you vehicle alone or with children. Spend extra time surveying parking areas if there is no one available to watch you until you reach you vehicle.

If you dont have a remote device on your car key, atleast always have your key ready, and lock up immediately once you are in your car, and never leave your car unlocked, or fail to check the back seat once you are safely inside, preferably as you get inside.

If you have a lot of shopping to do, try to arrange to leave your kids at home with someone. It is easy to get distracted when you are out shopping.

Never pull off the road for unmarked police cars, and never be without a cell phone so that you can call for help if you have car trouble. Carry a good emergency kit with you in your car, and join AAA, it's only a few bucks a year, and could save your life.

Teach your children to stay with you when out in public, and never let go of the hand of a little one. When they play outdoors, make sure it is only under adult supervision when they are little. It only takes a second for them to be grabbed.

Don't leave them in an unlocked vehicle while you pump or pay for gas.

There are safety video's available for kids to watch with their parents that cover all aspects of safety regarding touching and strangers, and yes, even trusted friends. Buy them and make your kids watch them regularly. It's better for them to be a little leary then too open and friendly in the world we live in today. Give them the tools they need to survive.

Never be enticed to lend assistance when you are out alone. Many women have been fooled by men who pretend to be injured or in need of help.

Keep track of vehicles behind you, and people in vehicles parked near your vehicle.

Don't open your door at home for strangers, even if you are not alone. When it comes to your safety, and the safety of your family, BE PARANOID! Home invasions are on the rise. A new ploy presently being used is playing a recording of a baby crying outside. If you hear anything like that, call the police.

Take the time to find out if there are any sexual predators in your neighborhood, and share the infromation with your neighbors. Since the law refuses to protect us from these people, we need to do all we can to identify them for ourselves.

If you are a young single woman you are a top target. Don't get into a car with a stranger, and don't go out on the first few dates with a man without another couple along. Never go to a bar alone. Travel with other single women, and never let your girlfriends leave a bar with a stranger.

Remember, looking drunk or distracted makes you a better target!

Whatever you do, don't go out running alone! Get yourself a treadmill or go to a gym!

Since guns are such a controversial subject, I won't go into that, other than to tell you this. I wouldn't be here today, if I had not owned a gun, and been comfortable with owning it and handling it. If you carry a weapon of any kind, remember, unless your hand is on it inside your purse or pocket when you are walking to your car, it won't do you any good. Have your key in one hand, and your other hand on your weapon. If your weapon of choice is a gun, do not draw it, shoot through your purse or pocket!

I live in a very safe area, but I never assume that I am safe!

Thank you for reading this post.

Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
04-30-2005, 05:05 AM
Gayle...Pardon me if I missed that this wasn't entirely your own writing, but in all due respect, much of this when all rolled together as a daily mindset leans toward an amount of overboard paranoia, and IMO, stifles free spirit. I'll agree that common sense is important but "living life" to me means generally trusting a lot more than the global picture of danger I gathered from your suggestions. I myself watch my backside, but I'm not going to have my hand on a weapon when I am alone.

"and don't go out on the first few dates with a man without another couple along."

That one was where I had a nerve severed...chill a little, life is for living. Be smart but don't let it smother your spirit. Being defensive can be stifling and unfair to growth. Jm2c...sid

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 06:19 AM
If I were a man, I might feel the same way as you do Martin. Too many young women these days are meeting men on the internet, at a bar, etc., knowing really very little about them, and then putting themselves in positions which are very dangerous, IMHO.

When you think about the number of women who are abducted in shopping areas, walking to their automobiles, or out running alone, and how easily they can be grabbed and abducted, I don't think it's paranoid to be prepared at all times to defend yourself.

My post was directed to women, but I can see how from a man's point of view, it might not sound reasonable. It's a different world entirely for a woman though. Women in today's world, can't afford to be trusting toward men that they know very little about. A great percentage of date rape, BTW, is never reported. Being defensive and cautious should be a way of life for women, when it comes to men they know little about. Your life is too valuable to be left to the descretion of pure instinct, and IMO, that's what these nuts rely and depend on when they lay their plans. I'd much rather be safe than sorry. Personal growth doesn't count for much when you're six feet under.

Gayle in Md.,

Wally_in_Cincy
04-30-2005, 06:27 AM
For instance, how about that bride-to-be that was abducted while jogging about 3 days ago.

Oops, never mind /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

PQQLK9
04-30-2005, 06:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> For instance, how about that bride-to-be that was abducted while jogging about 3 days ago.

Oops, never mind /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Ga. Woman Found, Reportedly Got Cold Feet

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. -- A Georgia bride-to-be who vanished just days before her wedding turned up in New Mexico and fabricated a tale of abduction before admitting Saturday that she had gotten cold feet and "needed some time alone," police said.
web page (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2005/04/30/AR2005043000223.html)

SnakebyteXX
04-30-2005, 06:41 AM
Gayle in MD:
[ QUOTE ]
When you think about the number of women who are abducted in shopping areas, walking to their automobiles, or out running alone, and how easily they can be grabbed and abducted, I don't think it's paranoid to be prepared at all times to defend yourself.
<hr /></blockquote>

Key words here are 'When you think about the number of women..." Gayle, do you have any hard statistics as to the actual number of women who are abducted (as a percentage of the adult female population) as opposed to a subjective opinion (IE. "I don't really know what that figure is BUT - based on the number of news reports that I have either read or viewed - it seems like A LOT!")?

Please do not misunderstand me. I am not trying to belittle your concerns. However, it occurred to me sometime ago that as a society in general we tend to be heavily influenced by sensationalized news reporting. Meaning that if you watch/read enough local/national news reports regarding these kinds of things it's not a giant leap to form the opinion that women - children - the elderly - homeowners - innocent bystanders - etc. - are all under siege and in dire need of personal protection. However, personally, when I step away from the onslaught of sensationalized news reports for a moment and ask myself: How many people do I personally know who have been abducted - raped - murdered - robbed the answer is 'almost none'.

How do we reconcile this apparent contradiction? Has the threat to personal safety been blown out of all proportion by an over zealous news industry bent on selling soap? Without denying that some precautionary actions are prudent and constitute time and energy well spent - I tend to believe that a fear mongering news media is responsible for creating the illusion that the threats to which we are actually exposed to on a daily basis are far greater than they truly are.

Snake

Sid_Vicious
04-30-2005, 07:18 AM
Gayle,

If a woman meets a man on the net, in a bar or anyplace besides a common place such as through friends or at the workplace, etc., then I totally agree. I wasn't pin-pointing those venues with my comments earlier. I myself find more of an ability to "feel out" my intuitions about that person in the early minutes of meeting, and I also, even as a man, proceed with some caution. Will I go home with a bar date like I did in my 20's? No, who knows the ulterior motives or whether there is a nut case in wait or super glue and a pair of scissors under the bed? A little common sense should be used by everyone, I'm just not ready to wrap up myself in every avenue of unknown future dangers, otherwise I don't take chances at all.

Sure, women have vulnerability men don't, but let's not cause this to model defense driven mindsets. Caution is always wise, just not to a degree that it changes one's person. You have to remain YOU, otherwise life is short changed and diminished for oneself.

Look at it this way as an example. If statistics says that more people are killed after night on the roadways, would I restrict my driving at night? If going to pool halls, a place with an ill reputation, right or wrong, news flashes about crimes and devious types of people, if that event wasn't something I felt at ease, and yet a little guarded at times,,,well I wouldn't go or if I did I wouldn't relax and enjoy. Everything in life has it's dangers, but it's the fear we allow that controls and eventually, if we let it, change to. I just do not feel that either men or women are doing themselves any favors to ponder all of these unforeseen, unhappened events to any marginal degree. It is simply IMO, a bridle on oneself concerning life, liberty and especially the pursuit of happiness.

I understand your concerns Gayle, in medium to moderate ways, some in a major way, i.e. net and bar dates and running alone or walking to the car. Men too have these things to consider, not just women...sid~~~wishes the old days and being 20-something again was still here sometimes

Vagabond
04-30-2005, 07:22 AM
Hi Gayle,
Here ia a another one.When u are alone in an elevator push every floor number in a multi storied building like in New York,Chicago.If some body attacks u have a chance being rescued because the elevator stops on every floor.30 years ago the Police Commissioner of NY,Mr.McGuire gave this advice to the NewYorkers.Take care of yourself from evil

Barbara
04-30-2005, 07:37 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> For instance, how about that bride-to-be that was abducted while jogging about 3 days ago.

Oops, never mind /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Geez, yah think? /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara

Barbara
04-30-2005, 07:58 AM
...And don't eat the chili at Wendy's. It contains body parts. /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Barbara

Wally_in_Cincy
04-30-2005, 08:06 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> "needed some time alone,"
<hr /></blockquote>

with her new beau no doubt /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Popcorn
04-30-2005, 09:08 AM
To sum up your advice, "Don't be a victim" Don't be afraid to yell in public or draw attention to yourself or embarrass yourself. Only about a year ago I was approached in a parking lot by a guy who looked like he may be up to no good. When I realized how quickly he was approaching me and his attention was directed at me. I yelled very loud, "Get the Fu** away from me" and ran toward where there was people. He walked away very quickly in the other direction and out of the parking garage. People asked me what happened and said I wasn't letting the guy get me between cars off by myself. He could have a knife or gun who knows. If his intentions were innocent, then he should know better then to be approaching a stranger like that in a garage and not be surprise at my reaction. If I embarrassed myself in a public place, I can live with that. I should add, I live in Florida and have a permit to carry a gun. At the time I had my 44 Bulldog In my belt but escaping from a situation is the better choice. Most people who are victimized present themselves as victims. Most of the bad guys are opportunists and not really looking for a confrontation. Simple common sense will usually keep you safe.

9 Ball Girl
04-30-2005, 09:27 AM
Hi Gayle! Thanks for taking the time to post important Dos and Don'ts. And hey, it doesn't necessarily target women, men too. $hit happens and being a New Yorker myself, I'd rather be alert than too lax. I see it all the time with tourists or hear about it on the news or internet.

One time while coming home from work there was a guy who got on the train at the same time that I did. It was about 7ish PM so eventhough there were people on the train, it wasn't as crowded as it would have been had it been about 5ish PM. Anyway, there were plenty of seats available and I noticed that he had already been staring at me from before we got on the train. He sort of lingered about before I picked my seat and then he came and sat across from me. The whole ride he had this stupid deer in the headlights look while staring at me and although I was deeply engrossed in the book that I was reading, I can see him through my peripheral vision and through the reflection of the windows. Now, this is common for me with guys having that stupid look and lingering to see where I'm going to sit or stand, but this guy took it further by following me out of the train. It's the fall season and by the time I get to my stop it's about 7:30ish PM and it's already dark out but there are people all about.

I get out of the train and I'm about 7 blocks away from my house. I noticed this ugly f*ck was following me because I went into the drug store, and there he was, I went into the fast food Chinese restaurnt, and there he was, I went into the grocery store and there he was. At this point I'm thinking, where the f*ck is a cop when you need one? Anyway, in the grocery store, I started talking to the guy behind the register who I know because I go there everyday to buy the paper and told him loud enough for the "stalker" to hear me, "You see that ugly f*ck over there? He's been following me since I got on the train about an hour ago." At this point the guy hears me and walks out of the store to I don't know where and my friend runs out after him but he was gone. I never saw him again.

Another occasion, when I first moved to my apartment, I had just passed this teenage thug looking guy. It was a rainy night, about 6ish PM in April. Two blocks later, I walked into my building and this guy was behind me. I checked my mailbox and went into the elevator where he walked in to as well. I went on Red Alert at that point and acted as if I were fumbling through my purse when he pressed 4. I noticed that and I pressed 5 which is the floor that I live on. On the ride up from the lobby to 4, I felt movement on the hem of my dress. I looked at the guy and he was just looking straight ahead. Again, I felt movement down towards the hem of my dress near my thighs and looked at him again and asked, "what are you doing?" "Nothing" was his reply. The 4th floor came and the elevator door opens. I looked at him and said, "isn't this your stop" and he said "oh, I made a mistake. I need to go to the 5th." Now I'm really is Extreme Red Alert. My 5th floor comes and he steps out first and I stay in the elevator and he says, "isn't this your stop?" I looked at him and said, "I made a mistake, I have to go back down to the lobby." &lt;Can you imagine me getting out of the elevator, turning the key to my apartment and having this guy rush me from behind? Ha!&gt;

Now he steps back on the elevator, I don't even bother saying anything to him and again, I felt him trying to cop a feel. I was livid. We both step out of the elevator and I see my Super coming into the building and asked him in Spanish if he this guy lived in the building. The super said No and immediately in English I told him that he was trying to touch me on the elevator. The Super held him tight and told me to call the cops from his apartment. The undercovers came and whisked him away, and then 2 more undercovers came and whisked me away to the precinct for my story and to pick him out from a lineup. It turned out that the perp was 16 years old (a minor) and lived in another neighborhood not too far from mine. And the kicker? He had done the same thing to 2 other women in my building and they had one of those flyer things with a drawing of him derived from the description that the other 2 women had given. The DTs told me that I was smart in the way I handled everything with the not going into my apartment and all and that they were glad that they were able to nab him.

The moral of my 2 stories is that eventhough I live in a safe neighborhood, it doesn't mean that you'll never get f*ckers from other hoods coming to mine. Sort of if you're a safe driver, doesn't mean that some a**hole drunk driver can't come crashing into you. Always be alert in every scenario.

I always say that every open eye doesn't necessarily mean that it's watching, and every closed eye doesn't necessarily mean that it's sleeping.

So again, Gayle, those words can ring truer to me and thanks again. Best to be prepared than to not be. And it's not paranoia, it's just being alert.

Wendy&lt;---proud to have a New York mentality...

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 01:12 PM
Most people think it will never happen to them.
Love,
Gayle

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 01:18 PM
Dear Martin,
Anyone who knows me would tell you that I am friendly, relaxed, and outgoing in public. When I approach the exit, I automatically go into my alert and aware mode. I am a totally different person from that moment until I lock the door behind me in my home. You don't have to depress your whole personality, just know when to be ready for anything.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 01:20 PM
Bravo! Yes, that's a very good one. Thanks you for adding that one to the discussion.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 01:24 PM
That's a great story, friend. It really shows that you had thought ahead about how you would handle such a situation. Good thinking! Thanks for sharing that.

Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 01:31 PM
Wow, good thinking Wendy! I have several such stories of my own. We all need to pay attention to those uneasy feelings about strangers when they come up. I am glad to know that you look after yourself well!

You are right, Wendy, bad things happen in good neighborhoods sometimes, and good things happen in bad neighborhoods, too, LOL.

I wish everyone had a New York mentality, as you say.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in MD
04-30-2005, 01:42 PM
I forgot to add, much of what happens regarding crime, never even makes it to the airwaves. I can't quote you the statistics, friend, can only remember how astonished I was when I read some of them, particularly the one about how many women are raped in every five minute period! Also, there is one about how many people a serial murderer kills (The average) before he is ever caught.

The one that bothered me the most though was about how many children are molested, and never tell about it.

I'm afraid things are worse, not better, than what is depicted on the news.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in Md.

Vagabond
04-30-2005, 04:37 PM
Next time when u are in subway try to act like a Psychotic-start talking and laughing to yourself while looking into vacant space.People will start moving away from u and u can also have a comfortable seat besides getting rid of the stalker.It works.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Vagabond
04-30-2005, 04:52 PM
When one is cornered and absolutely no chance to escape-One may try to do some gross things but make them look like natural.There are several gross things one could do but the One I always thought that may work is: pick the nose and put that finger in the mouth as though u are eating the bugger.Remember it should not look like an put on (act).This will turn of most of the guys except the perverts who want to watch women pick their nose.

Stretch
04-30-2005, 05:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I forgot to add, much of what happens regarding crime, never even makes it to the airwaves. I can't quote you the statistics, friend, can only remember how astonished I was when I read some of them, particularly the one about how many women are raped in every five minute period! Also, there is one about how many people a serial murderer kills (The average) before he is ever caught.

The one that bothered me the most though was about how many children are molested, and never tell about it.

I'm afraid things are worse, not better, than what is depicted on the news.

Gayle in Md.

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

Geeze i didn't reolize what a threatening world it is out there if your a woman. Us guys have the relative freedom to do a lot of things solo, that a woman just wouldn't do, or at the very least be totaly alert and wary to do.

As for dangerous situations, i've always had "a sixth sence" about it. If my little voice say's somethings not right, I LISTEN. More than once i've just got up and left a place whether my drink was finished or not, or taken a quick detour if i didn't like what was up ahead. Knock on wood, i've never been mugged, robbed, assalted, or worse.....maybe it's my size (darkens doorways) or what, but thankyou large genes. Glad i don't present an easy victom. St.

Fran Crimi
04-30-2005, 08:26 PM
You are SO right, Gayle. Walking alone has gotten me into some very bad situations. I'm lucky to have gotten out of them alive.

It's a jungle out there.

Fran

9 Ball Girl
05-01-2005, 12:11 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> Next time when u are in subway try to act like a Psychotic-start talking and laughing to yourself while looking into vacant space.People will start moving away from u and u can also have a comfortable seat besides getting rid of the stalker.It works.
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>Actually, if I were to do that, I would look normal. It's New York after all! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

9 Ball Girl
05-01-2005, 12:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vagabond:</font><hr> When one is cornered and absolutely no chance to escape-One may try to do some gross things but make them look like natural.There are several gross things one could do but the One I always thought that may work is: pick the nose and put that finger in the mouth as though u are eating the bugger.Remember it should not look like an put on (act).This will turn of most of the guys except the perverts who want to watch women pick their nose.

<hr /></blockquote>Sometime that may work and like you said, sometimes it may not. I can say that I would do this and that but if God forbid I should ever be in that situation, I may be so panicky and just stiffen up and wait for it all to be over. On the other hand, I've heard that if a woman starts to go along with it, it will throw off the guy and supposedly he will ease up and then the woman can do whatever it is she would need to do to get away. I don't wish for any woman to ever be in that situation. Ever.

9 Ball Girl
05-01-2005, 12:17 AM
And just to add another one:

For those of us that love to have our I-Pods or discmans or whatever, make sure it's playing at a volume where you can still hear what's going on around you.

DebraLiStarr
05-01-2005, 12:04 PM
Many of you know what happened to me about a year ago. If you are a woman and you are going to be attacked, it will most likely come as a surprise. I was attacked by someone that I knew. Everything happened so quickly that I didn't find out who had attacked me until I woke up in intensive care and somebody told me what happened to me.

Today I am very cautious. I was attacked in my home and everyday when I come home from work and walk into my house I have this sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach. Is there anything that women can do to keep from becoming a target? I think so. Today I am learning self defense tactics. I carry mace (on my purse &amp; my key chain) and I have been criticized publicly by people on this and other forums that find humor in my portable gas cans (I know they are huge), but for me it makes me feel more secure.

I think that learning to protect yourself during an attack is much wiser than constantly looking over your shoulder. I was attacked physically and psychologically. My physical wounds have healed, but the psychological wounds continue. The difference between women and men is that men (instinctively) would actively fight back against an attacker. When I was attacked I froze. I didn't know what to do. I just knew I was being hit and kicked, and then everything went blank. I'm sure I am not the only person that has been through something like that.

I would have no problem going for a jog, or a walk, mainly because I do NOTHING by myself anymore. This includes coming home from work. That is what I would tell anyone that brings this up. Always be with another person that you trust, like a friend or a sister, or a co-worker. Your chances increase when you are all by yourself.

heater451
05-01-2005, 03:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DebraLiStarr:</font><hr> . . .The difference between women and men is that men (instinctively) would actively fight back against an attacker. When I was attacked I froze. I didn't know what to do. I just knew I was being hit and kicked, and then everything went blank. I'm sure I am not the only person that has been through something like that. . . . .<hr /></blockquote>This is not necessarily true about men--even most men.

Much of the time, we--as humans in general--are conditioned to not react. That is, we are either conditioned to stop and think about what's going on, or we simply get caught in not believing what's happening, when under physical attack.

There is also the issue of dealing with an adrenalin rush, the "flight or fight" response, which, when combined with the above two issues, may result in paralysis. Some people are also of the mind/feeling that they really don't want to hurt someone, and again, are caught not knowing what to do in a self-defense situation.

I was flipping through a martial arts magazine at the bookstore last week, and I saw an article which involve training against this sort of "mind-body freeze". Sorry, that I can't recall the magazine, but the gist of it was the training involve a mix of intimidation and physical attacks, in order for the trainee to get used to dealing with extreme situations and alter their views on reaction. The techniques used on the trainee ranged from in-the-face screaming, to blind-sided tackles (not true full force, I'm sure, but enough to take the wind out of someone).

The idea here is similar to the sliding scale of martial arts training for self-defense: 1) Training w/o sparring (like doing katas) may get someone used to moving a certain way, but doesn't prepare them for actual contact, 2) Sparring trains one how to trade blows, but the sport aspect, and "safe in a dojo" factor, isnt' quite the level of a full-speed, full-force spar, and 3) a full-speed sparring match still doesn't prepare one for a crazy street fight.

All in all, it's said that the best self defense is to run away, although one may have to fight to achieve the freedom to do so. In your case Debra--the full force sneak-attack, you were at the largest disadvantage, regardless of your physical size. Nothing hits you harder, than the blow that you never see or remember--I bet Voodoo has some stories that will back that up. . . .

Anyway, I don't know what kind of training you're undergoing, but anything is better than nothing. I personally think that taking many different types of training is best, but something that comes to mind, that I read about "Krav Maga" (Google it), is that they use concepts such as, "like a stick", and "like a stone", which deals with weaponry. The idea is that you can use nearly any object around you as a weapon, which fits into the stick or stone category. Some weapons are swung like a stick, and others are used to smash, like a stone.
[btw, I think Krav Maga is what Jennifer Lopez's character was supposed to have trained in, in "Enough", although that might be completely wrong.]

I would also suggest some wrestling/ground-fighting, especially with opponents which are larger than you. It can never truly compare to a 'real' attack, but it should help you learn to fight back from being taken down, and not be surprised to wind up there.

Lastly, never forget your natural weapons--tooth and claw. Likewise, when the opportunity presents itself, the eyes and throat are targets. Go all out. Ever seen a cat fight?--claw, bite, rake (hind claws), and don't quit till you can get free to run. The only thing that I might add, is getting in a quick kick, if possible, to get another few seconds head-start on the running.

And, I know I already said "lastly", but don't forget attitude. For example, as nice as CarolNYC is, she has a confidence about her that I doubt many weirdos would want to test! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

======================================

catscradle
05-02-2005, 12:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Most people think it will never happen to them.
Love,
Gayle <hr /></blockquote>

Actually most people who think that are absolutlely right, it won't happen to them. Unfortunately, bad stuff only has to happen once to ruin a life or several. I think your dos and don'ts go too far, but I think you make a very valid point that it is better for a person to err on the side of caution.
BTW, nothing bad will happen to me, I have "The Right Stuff".

DebraLiStarr
05-02-2005, 03:38 PM
heater451,
Thank you.

Deeman2
05-05-2005, 11:22 AM
Gayle,

I think all of your advice is sound and it's certainly a shame that women and kids can't walk the streets in relative safety almost anywhere now. You don't want people not enjoying their freedom and lives over this but it does happen and as long as their are animals on our streets, only the aware and prepared will survive.

Deeman
glad I don't need to loan my Glock to Gayle...

DickLeonard
05-05-2005, 12:11 PM
Sid I think your the one who isn't thinking. My daughter went the UNiv of Buffalo 15 year ago and they were warned not to run alone. I asked why are you warning the girls not to run alone and I was told that last year a freshman was killed running. It took 5 years and two more deaths before the killer was capatured in Burlington VT.

The Univ at Albany has at least 5 women missing in 50 years
and no bodies found. There might be one that the Law is named after. I always told my daughters to put a black X over their door. Criminals know what that means.####