PDA

View Full Version : Pool, Never Deamt About It

Sid_Vicious
04-30-2005, 09:08 AM
It dawned on me that even though I consume myself in pool and have for nearly a decade that I have never had a dream about this sport. Maybe had a dream about the PH and people, but never actual play. How do you figure that? Y'all dream about pool???sid~~~sorry if this isn't totally pool related

Harold Acosta
04-30-2005, 09:27 AM
I've had 2 dreams:

1. Winning the US Open as an unseeded player (just like Tommy Kennedy did). Dream was several years ago, after returning from the 1999 US Open.
2. Winning the World Pool Championships (after winning the PR qualifier to the Panam Championships, then winning the Panam Championships to go to the World Championship as a seeded player). This dream was several weeks ago.

In each dream, I never played again after these titles, not even to defend them.

But then, it was just a dream, with lots of lucky draws, and lucky games against the best.

With my current skills, I couldn't get past the first rounds nowadays....

One
04-30-2005, 11:23 AM
If you do something for a long period of time (like pool) it "sticks" into your mind, and when you go to sleep it automatically continues and you see pool shots infront of you. When I was a beginner I played minimum 7 hours per day, and when I got home I dreamt of pool. (It could be the dreaming that made me improve instead of the playing in the pool room.)

Once I walked up from my bed into shooting position and shot the shot, then I went back to lie in my bed, then I walked up from my bed again to shoot my next shot, I don't know for how long I did this on that night. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

When I played pool and chess on the same day I had dreams with a combination of chess and pool, I was shooting chess pieces into squares and stuff. This messes up with your learning, that's why you should only focus on 1 sport at a time if you want to become good.

Wally_in_Cincy
04-30-2005, 11:51 AM
As I get older I remember my dreams less, but I did dream a few weeks ago they needed a sub for the Mosconi Cup team and I played in that.

I had the same sort of dream years ago where the Boston Celtics called and said M.L. Carr was sick and they needed a 12th man /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

That was pretty cool /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

I dream about just regular pool shooting sometimes but unfortunately It i much more common to dream about work /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

BoroNut
04-30-2005, 12:50 PM
Iíll tell you a little story that happened to me.

When I was still a half decent player I got through to the semifinals of our local league individual championship. I didnít sleep too well the night before, and as I dressed for work that morning I felt a strange nagging sensation that something was amiss.

I followed my usual route down the high street, stopping at the newsagents to buy my morning paper, and all the time the feeling kept growing. I was becoming extremely uncomfortable, but couldnít put my finger on why. It seemed to me that everyone knew something I didnít, and I thought I was having a total paranoia attack.

It was only when I reached the packed busstop and everyone burst out laughing that I realised I was completely naked from the waist down. Who says dreams canít come true?

Boro Nut

Keith Talent
05-01-2005, 01:52 AM
Hmmm, Sid, I can recall one dream some months ago about another player from a PH I used to frequent, but for some, er, reason I can't remember if we played any pool in the dream! Never did in real life ... and the effort I used to make to avoid glancing over at her table, let me tell ya!

SpiderMan
05-01-2005, 08:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> It dawned on me that even though I consume myself in pool and have for nearly a decade that I have never had a dream about this sport. Maybe had a dream about the PH and people, but never actual play. How do you figure that? Y'all dream about pool???sid~~~sorry if this isn't totally pool related <hr /></blockquote>

Maybe it's because you daydream about pool so much. When you go to sleep, you're ready to watch a different movie.

SpiderMan

Rod
05-01-2005, 08:49 AM
Sid, I don't recall of dreaming about pool either.

Rod

poolturtle
05-01-2005, 03:22 PM
I only recall one dream I had about shooting pool. I have trouble with 2 rail banks, and one night I had a dream where I figured out a perfect aiming system for 2 rail banks. It all made logical sense (angles, aiming points, etc.) I was even seeing overhead views like they show on ESPN!

Then, when I woke up, I couldn't remember the system. I remember seeing it work perfectly, but nothing about the aiming.

REALLY FRUSTRATING.

SpiderMan
05-01-2005, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote poolturtle:</font><hr> I only recall one dream I had about shooting pool. I have trouble with 2 rail banks, and one night I had a dream where I figured out a perfect aiming system for 2 rail banks. It all made logical sense (angles, aiming points, etc.) I was even seeing overhead views like they show on ESPN!

Then, when I woke up, I couldn't remember the system. I remember seeing it work perfectly, but nothing about the aiming.
REALLY FRUSTRATING. <hr /></blockquote>

There may be something to it. I've read a lot recently on the nature of dreams. There are uncountable documented instances of "problem-solving" in dreams.

It actually happened to me once, as a senior in college. I had been struggling with graphical solutions of a particular class of transmission-line equations, and just couldn't seem to get the homework problems to work out. That night I dreamed that I was sitting at my desk, seeing the "light", and zipping through the homework. When I woke up, I remembered the dream long enough to try it out. It worked - I had actually continued my thought patterns while asleep, and figured out the answer.

If it happens again, write down everything you can remember as soon as you wake up. Immediate review of dream facts is necessary in order to remember them well after waking.

SpiderMan

SPetty
05-01-2005, 07:57 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> If it happens again, write down everything you can remember as soon as you wake up. Immediate review of dream facts is necessary in order to remember them well after waking.<hr /></blockquote>My mother recounts a similar story. She was having dreams that were very vivid and solving problems, so she finally got smart and put a pad of paper and a pencil by the bed. Sure enough, she soon had one of those dreams, so when she awoke from the dream in the middle of the night, she wrote down the dream solution.

When she woke up in the morning, she remembered that she had awoken with a genius thought and that she had written it down. She eagerly read what she wrote, which said:

"Type faster make car go faster"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

SpiderMan
05-02-2005, 07:28 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> If it happens again, write down everything you can remember as soon as you wake up. Immediate review of dream facts is necessary in order to remember them well after waking.<hr /></blockquote>My mother recounts a similar story. She was having dreams that were very vivid and solving problems, so she finally got smart and put a pad of paper and a pencil by the bed. Sure enough, she soon had one of those dreams, so when she awoke from the dream in the middle of the night, she wrote down the dream solution.

When she woke up in the morning, she remembered that she had awoken with a genius thought and that she had written it down. She eagerly read what she wrote, which said:

"Type faster make car go faster"

/ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I guess I'll amend my recommendation for Poolturtle, to add: make certain you are REALLY awake when you start taiking notes /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SpiderMan

bsmutz
05-02-2005, 12:31 PM
I've read that this can work in reverse, also. By concentrating on your problem and taking time beforehand to start recording dreams, you can make yourself come up with solutions while dreaming.

DickLeonard
05-04-2005, 06:24 AM
Sid this is a two part answer. The year is 1974 and I dreamt of winning the US Open. I had made a bad business dicision and had given up playing pool, my friend called me and said there was a US Open qualifer in Newburgh, I told him of my dream I said I will hit some balls and we will go.
Saturday I am in Newburgh.
My first game was Accu-Stats, Pat Fleming and he needed 5 balls and I neeeded 43, he left me a tough shot, I made it and ran 43 and out.

My next game was Larry Liscotti and he ran a 75 and I won 125-93. I ended up beating Earl Herring two games to win the berth. I said to my self maybe this dream will come true.

I got sick the two days before I was to leave for Chicago and never hit a ball before ChiTown. This is part one.

Part two, Joe Canton would always say to play pool in your mind before you go to sleep. Your mind doesn't let you miss, I gave this info to NAZ and his playing has improved.####