PDA

View Full Version : Adapting to conditions.

Stretch
05-01-2005, 11:20 AM
Ya i've played on a lot of crapy equipment and i never thought to much about it because at the time it was either a matter of that's all there is, or the other guys playing on it too so.....thing is if you let it bother you it creates a ready made excuse and once that excuse takes hold it's all over. Maybe i should have called this thread no excuses. All you have to do is hang around a tournament and listen to the excuses, it's kind of brain numbing. I try not to ask an aquaintence "so how'd that match go", cause when they launch into the whole sorry debacle my eyes start glazen over, lol

Just a quick note to the whiners, and excuse makers. If you put as much effort into adjusting your game to suit the table, or the crowd, or the music, or the draw, or the rolls, luck, act of god, conspicpry theory add infinitum. You might...no WILL play much much better and us easy going 'greatfull' pool players could enjoy the day better. St. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif ~~don't wanna hear about it~~

Cane
05-01-2005, 11:33 AM
Stretch,

Tap, Tap, Tap! I've heard so many players come away from a match saying "If that table had (list of reason... decent cushions, or good cloth, or was level or whatever their complaint) I would have won that match. I usually just give them that confused Oklahoma look and say "Yeah", but all the while am thinking "Man, your opponent was playing on the same table!"

Sure it would be nice to play on great equipment every time, but that just will NEVER happen. Adapt to what you have and play your best game.

Later,
Bob (wins and loses on some of the worst equipment in the country)

Plummerbutt
05-01-2005, 07:23 PM
I agree.., get over it already. I think there should be a new pool rule that states; "Noboby is allowed to complain about equiptment, environment or atmosphere usless they win the match!" Think that would do it?
I love to tell the whinners that I just beat them on /in the same conditions they are complaining about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

bustah360
05-01-2005, 07:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr> Stretch,

Tap, Tap, Tap! I've heard so many players come away from a match saying "If that table had (list of reason... decent cushions, or good cloth, or was level or whatever their complaint) I would have won that match. I usually just give them that confused Oklahoma look and say "Yeah", but all the while am thinking "Man, your opponent was playing on the same table!"

Sure it would be nice to play on great equipment every time, but that just will NEVER happen. Adapt to what you have and play your best game.

Later,
Bob (wins and loses on some of the worst equipment in the country) <hr /></blockquote>
True there's always an excuse for losing out of some players...I try to blame myself for the loss and try to analyze what I did wrong. Another important thing to do starts immediately after a shot, not the entire game. Its realizing what you did wrong and fixing it on the next shot. But one thing was always taught and encouraged, to forget the loss and move on. Not to let it rattle you into losing your next game.

bustah360
05-01-2005, 07:41 PM
Another thing to add...if you wanna whine about the equipment, then shuddup and play some where else with nicer's tables!

yegon
05-01-2005, 09:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Plummerbutt:</font><hr>I love to tell the whinners that I just beat them on /in the same conditions they are complaining about. /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif <hr /></blockquote>

yeah I like that too, but you can not reason with the hardcore whiner. Last time I tried I was told that the bad table does not bother me because I do not use as much english (meaning in his eyes I do not know how to play) so it is easier for me to pocket the balls. LOL

Cane
05-02-2005, 09:33 AM
Well, I lost out of a tournament last night on some terrible equipment! LOL I don't attribute my loss to the equipment however. It was 8Ball, BCA Rules, and I just flat missed 3 easy 8 balls. Stroked them at 4 speed and just plain missed the pocket. I was not a happy camper, and someone said after I lost my last match "Man, you got robbed... that table rolls bad, doesn't it" I said, "yeah, it rolls like s#!t, but that wasn't why I missed the shot".

Learning to take my own shortcomings in stride!!!

Later,
Bob

Fasteddy7
05-02-2005, 11:22 AM
I must be the luckiest player in Iowa, every time I win a set its always how bad my opponent played...or the rolls....or it rolled off.....whatever.....I beat you in a race to 7 and I beat you last week, now shut-up. It never fails though. Last week I ran 2 and then broke ran 2 balls and played a good safe, won 7 to 2...afterwards its all, I just played bad, yadda yadda yadda.

One
05-02-2005, 04:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr>Sure it would be nice to play on great equipment every time, but that just will NEVER happen. <hr /></blockquote>
VIRTUAL POOL 3 !!!!!!

There is just no way I will practice on a different table, the practice definitely would mess up my game if I did! Try changing the table every 5 minutes... Changing the table every 10 hours helps but you still get the same problem, but players with bad skill doesn't even notice it.

If your goal is to improve your skill you NEED to play on the EXACT same table for at least ONE MONTH. That is how long it takes for me to adjust to a new table, the better player you are the LONGER it takes to get used to new tables, pros get used to new tables fast because they practice on different tables, but their highest level never reaches their potential because they sacrifice skill for consistency.

If you play in the pool room you should play on the same table, but playing on another tables in the same pool room is OK, as long as the cloth and rails are equally old. NEVER practice in another pool room, unless the goal of your practice is to improve the speed of which you get used to different tables, this is only useful if you play tournaments. But if you want to improve your skill, play on the same table, use that table as a reference for comparing other tables, if you don't have any table as a reference you will get extremely confused and you are messed up, it is like being a homeless guy, you need to have a home that you are familiar with, you should not move around and play on different tables!

bustah360
05-03-2005, 12:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote One:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cane:</font><hr>Sure it would be nice to play on great equipment every time, but that just will NEVER happen. <hr /></blockquote>
VIRTUAL POOL 3 !!!!!!

There is just no way I will practice on a different table, the practice definitely would mess up my game if I did! Try changing the table every 5 minutes... Changing the table every 10 hours helps but you still get the same problem, but players with bad skill doesn't even notice it.

If your goal is to improve your skill you NEED to play on the EXACT same table for at least ONE MONTH. That is how long it takes for me to adjust to a new table, the better player you are the LONGER it takes to get used to new tables, pros get used to new tables fast because they practice on different tables, but their highest level never reaches their potential because they sacrifice skill for consistency.

If you play in the pool room you should play on the same table, but playing on another tables in the same pool room is OK, as long as the cloth and rails are equally old. NEVER practice in another pool room, unless the goal of your practice is to improve the speed of which you get used to different tables, this is only useful if you play tournaments. But if you want to improve your skill, play on the same table, use that table as a reference for comparing other tables, if you don't have any table as a reference you will get extremely confused and you are messed up, it is like being a homeless guy, you need to have a home that you are familiar with, you should not move around and play on different tables! <hr /></blockquote>
The only thing I find bad with this idea is that skill should be something that you can bring with you to any table. If you play someone who's really good, I think he's gonna run the racks on ya regardless which table you put him on.

Showing how good you do on a familiar table is fine, but then again its no better than gambling on the home team.