PDA

View Full Version : play pool or shoot pool

houseman
05-03-2005, 11:28 AM
One of my customers asked me to play some pool with them and I told them I don`t play pool. They said I was full of ---- and they saw me play pool many times. I said I "DON`T" play pool I "SHOOT" pool. I only play serious pool and I don`t play just to play pool. How do you feel about the game?

dg-in-centralpa
05-03-2005, 04:40 PM
Interesting question that I never gave much thought. I tell wifey "I'm going to go out and shoot pool." At a bar/club I'm playing pool as I look at it as a game whether I play serious or not.Serious to me is leagues, tourneys, or for money. Otherwise if I'm playing a friend at the club, I don't play as serious, more for fun.

DG - jmho for what it's worth

bsmutz
05-03-2005, 04:51 PM
I guess I do both, using your definitions. I don't take every game seriously. In my pool playing (or shooting) life, there are some people that I play against that I know have no chance of beating me, my wife, for example. As I've gotten better, I don't see my game changing as much due to the lack of skill of my opponent as I used to. It used to be that, even with people I played with regularly, that I would shoot lousy if my opponent was shooting lousy and would play better if my opponent was challenging to beat. Now, I just play my game no matter the opponent (except for the occasional tough shot I will attempt rather than play safe against a weaker opponent, for instance). I play mostly for the enjoyment of the game and less for the competition, but still hate to lose at anything.

Cane
05-03-2005, 04:59 PM
I guess I see it a bit different. Even though I'm very serious about pocket billiards, I do consider that I "play" pool, I guess mostly because I consider pool a game. I didn't ever consider someone saying Play Pool as minimizing my seriousness about the game. Besides, I must consider it play, cause if I get the nuts, I'm smiling like a little kid in a playground! To me, pool is serious, but it's also fun, so "playing" pool is OK by me.

Later,
Bob

Rackin_Zack
05-03-2005, 05:06 PM
This reminds me of when I asked a guy I worked with, who was wearing a tennis themed shirt, if he played tennis. He quickly informed me, "I don't play tennis, I'm a TENNIS PLAYER!"

AmazingBrewdini
05-03-2005, 06:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> One of my customers asked me to play some pool with them and I told them I don`t play pool. They said I was full of ---- and they saw me play pool many times. I said I "DON`T" play pool I "SHOOT" pool. I only play serious pool and I don`t play just to play pool. How do you feel about the game? <hr /></blockquote>

IMO, it's just a matter of semantics.

Pool is a game, therefore we all "play" pool. It's also a game of shotmaking therefore we all "shoot pool". I see no contradiction in the use of either term.

Barbara
05-03-2005, 07:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houseman:</font><hr> One of my customers asked me to play some pool with them and I told them I don`t play pool. They said I was full of ---- and they saw me play pool many times. I said I "DON`T" play pool I "SHOOT" pool. I only play serious pool and I don`t play just to play pool. How do you feel about the game? <hr /></blockquote>

There ya go Mickey! I guess I should "shoot pool" more often!

It's all in your mind how deliberate you want to be in your goals!

Barbara~~~thinks when she "plays pool" she loses more often... /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif