PDA

View Full Version : help finding cuemaker in Elizabeth, NJ area, 60's

trugar
05-04-2005, 09:47 AM
Hello all,
We need help finding a cuemaker who worked in the Elizabeth, NJ area in the 1960's. We are trying to identify a beautiful cue for a customer. Any help would be appreciated.
Trugar - Judd Cues

Barbara
05-04-2005, 09:58 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote trugar:</font><hr> Hello all,
We need help finding a cuemaker who worked in the Elizabeth, NJ area in the 1960's. We are trying to identify a beautiful cue for a customer. Any help would be appreciated.
Trugar - Judd Cues <hr /></blockquote>

Palmer Cues - Eugene Balner.

Barbara

randyg
05-04-2005, 12:19 PM
Paradise Cues.....Frank Thomas

Rod
05-04-2005, 02:13 PM
M&amp;F Cues, Karl Meyer and Fred Fundunka. Both of these gents worked for Palmer before they made cues on their own. A bit more history if you need it. What's it look like and hows it built?

Rod

trugar
05-04-2005, 02:49 PM
The butt of the cue looks like its solid Rosewood. It is very beautifully carved from joint to butt with Mother of Pearl inlay, mainly dots but one very large spade shape. It has a 1/4 x 24 pin and also has a small Ivory butt cap.
I've got a picture but I'm not savvy enough to get it on here.

Trugar - Judd Cues

Popcorn
05-04-2005, 02:58 PM
I would say it is a Sampaio cue. Does it look something like this
http://www.welovepool.com/satpr.html
Look close at the forearm of the cue you will find it stamped.

Eric.
05-04-2005, 07:21 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I would say it is a Sampaio cue. Does it look something like this
http://www.welovepool.com/satpr.html
Look close at the forearm of the cue you will find it stamped. <hr /></blockquote>

I'm guessing trugar is talking about a more "basic &amp; not-as-fancy" cue. My guess is Karl Mayer. I think Karl has passed on, so it would be tough to contact him but I remember his work was similar to the simpler Paradise cues; mother of pearl dots and windows, rough "string" wraps and plastic or plastic w/ivory buttcaps. Most of Karl's cues had a tall rubber bumper with a visable screw holding it on.

Eric

Barbara
05-04-2005, 07:26 PM
Popcorn,

It's a close call, but I don't think Sampiao made cues with white/ivory joints. My folks had a couple and they had brass-colored joints.

Barbara

EDIT: Not ivory/white joint, but ring around the butt. They didn't have those. The cues I mean, not my folks. Okay, whatever. LOL!

stedyfred
05-05-2005, 09:20 PM
and his wife used to come regularly to the Rack Room in Levittown, Pa. with his cues many years ago. Stedy

Rod
05-05-2005, 09:22 PM
Was his name Mayer or Meyer?

Rod

Eric.
05-06-2005, 06:07 AM
It's Mayer.

Eric

Scott Lee
05-06-2005, 11:10 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> I think Karl has passed on, so it would be tough to contact him

Eric <hr /></blockquote>

Aw heck Eric...it's not THAT hard! All ya need is a OUIJI board! LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott

trugar
05-09-2005, 05:44 PM
I checked the web site and it looks VERY much like that cue. I can't see the carving very well but it has the same size and design Mother of Pearl inlays and the butt cap looks the same. I checked the forearm carefully. On close inspection it looks like it has been sanded (very poorly)no other part of the cue shows the same sand marks. No logo shows on it. It is just as fancy, if not fancier than the one pictured. Do you have any info. on Sampaio?

Trugar

peregrine180
05-10-2005, 03:05 PM
If the cue was made by a custom cue maker in Elizabeth NJ it can not be a Sapiao as far as I know.