PDA

View Full Version : Amazing demo of various trick shots

dr_dave
05-04-2005, 12:54 PM
A friend just sent me the video clip located at NV A.20 (http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/normal_videos/index.html). Check it out. It contains demos of many impressive artistic and skill trick shots, including some amazing masse shots.

Unfortunately, I don't know the origin of the clip or the name of the performer. If anybody knows, please let me know so I can provide an appropriate credit line. The clip changed hands many times before my friend got hold of it and it is difficult (impossible) to trace the origin. I tried some Google searches but came up dry.

Enjoy,
Dr. Dave

littleCajun
05-04-2005, 01:04 PM
Even Thought the shots are nice, and may be real shots. Some of the shots on the video look doctored to me. on some of the shots the cue ball looks a little goofey to me.

Any one else think this. Again all of the shots may be real but some of them on this video look funny.

dr_dave
05-04-2005, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote littleCajun:</font><hr>Some of the shots on the video look doctored to me. on some of the shots the cue ball looks a little goofey to me.<hr /></blockquote>
The reason for this is the video compression. The clip is stored as a compressed windows media file (i.e., the quality is sacrificed to make the file size small and the download time fast). When the ball moves quickly, the compression algorithms don't do so well replicating smooth motion.

A good analogy is a JPEG image files (which is a compressed photo file). Fast color changes (e.g., on edges) are not always crisp; and sometimes, compressed pictures have visible imperfections (unlike with an uncompressed, high resolution TIFF file for example).

Based on my experience with videography and web delivery, I believe the shots are real and not doctored.

Dr. Dave

PQQLK9
05-04-2005, 01:19 PM
I think the shots are performed by International Trick shot Artist
Yoshikazu Kimura

dr_dave
05-04-2005, 01:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> I think the shots are performed by International Trick shot Artist
Yoshikazu Kimura<hr /></blockquote>
Can anybody verify this?

Dr. Dave

PQQLK9
05-04-2005, 01:35 PM
web page (http://www.poolvideo.com/pv225.htm)

The above link is to the Site to purchase the video. I just put my tape in the VCR and can confirm that it is in fact the aforementioned tape.

I got that phone number off the VCR jacket (circa 1993) but I am on my way to delete it now.

Steve Lipsky
05-04-2005, 01:39 PM
That's definitely the tape. It is truly amazing to watch. I have no doubt that it took at least 100 takes to get many of the shots, but I don't really care. It's a stunning video.

- Steve

dr_dave
05-04-2005, 01:41 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr> web page (http://www.poolvideo.com/pv225.htm)

The above link is to the Site to purchase the video. I just put my tape in the VCR and can confirm that it is in fact the aforementioned tape.<hr /></blockquote>

Thank you for verifying this and providing the link.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>I got that phone number off the VCR jacket (circa 1993) but I am on my way to delete it now.<hr /></blockquote>
There is a new phone number on the website starting with 877 that does in fact reach poolvideo.com.

Thanks again for the info,
Dave

dr_dave
05-04-2005, 01:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote PQQLK9:</font><hr>I got that phone number off the VCR jacket (circa 1993) but I am on my way to delete it now.<hr /></blockquote>
I've also deleted the number from my previous message so other unsuspecting people won't get what they didn't ask for.

Regards,
Dave

Popcorn
05-04-2005, 04:53 PM
I used to have the video and from what I remember the table is much more worn in some shots then others. Either is was done at different times or he wore out the table trying to get the shots on tape.

Scott Lee
05-04-2005, 05:35 PM
Popcorn...You're correct. Kimura shot the video over a three year period, in his small, 3-table poolroom, to complete the shots needed for the tape. Likely there WERE 100 takes on some shots, like Steve Lipsky mentioned!
You just couldn't do most of the shots on that tape in exhibitions. Massey can likely make SOME of them on demand, but probably not many. Kimura certainly has an astounding stroke!

Scott Lee

Bob_Jewett
05-04-2005, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> ...
You just couldn't do most of the shots on that tape in exhibitions. ... <hr /></blockquote>
I like the one where he has two object balls stacked on top of a soda bottle, and jumps the cue ball up to shoot the bottom one out and the top ball drops down and stays on the soda bottle.

Scott Lee
05-05-2005, 12:00 AM
Bob...That shot is one of the easier shots. Many trick shot artists play the "bottle shot". Have you ever seen the way Willie Jopling plays his shot like that? He has 15 Coke bottles, in a row, each with a single ball sitting on top. He jumps the CB up and knocks every ball off each Coke bottle, EXCEPT the 8-ball...amazing trick shot!

Scott Lee

DickLeonard
05-05-2005, 05:21 PM
Dave I heard tell of an Argentine Billiard Player who was amazing, playing billiards,straight rail,snapping the cueball,hitting it of the rail with his palm of his hand.
Most people who saw him play thought it was a fake,####

thepoolnerd
05-05-2005, 06:59 PM
The Kimura trick shot tape is well worth buying. You will not regret it. It's about 60 minutes long but takes many hours to watch because you keep rewinding over and over. Best pool tape I'd ever seen, and I've seen alot. I wore out my copy. Funny thing is the guy's got the worst looking stroke ever. The last shot on the tape is worth the price of the tape and it takes about 2 minutes to complete. If you enjoy this type of stuff, you need to go to http://www.caromtv.com and click on freeviews and watch (3 cushion) Sayginer Exhibition Highlights and Miguel Torres Exhibition. Makes pool trick shot artists look like sissies. Especially Fast Larry.

PQQLK9
05-05-2005, 07:22 PM
I've had mine for several years and always get a kick out of it. I loaned it to a friend who vowed to never pick up a cue again after watching it. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif The fact that it has no audio sort of reminds me of the silent movies (Charlie Chapman).His mannerisms are priceless.