PDA

View Full Version : billiards and olympics

umit2005
05-05-2005, 02:18 AM
I'm a lover of billiards from Turkey. As all you know that billiards is a very good sport and a very fair game. It is played worldwide and known everybody in the world. But this game is not accepted as an olympics game unless there are many games which are not played worldwide and not known much in the world in the olympics. In my opinion, This is not very fair for the lovers of billiards and not suitable for the spirit of the olympics. So, let's write a message to the related organisations. Let's make a contribution to make billiards as an olympic game. I'm giving below the related organisations' contacts.

Thanks to all lovers of billiards.

Associations of Recognized IOC International Sports Federations: ARISF is the Association of the sports recognized by the IOC that are not yet part of the Olympic program.
ARISF Secretary General: Barbro Ronnberg - e-mail: barbro.ronnberg.iof@orienteering.org

Vise President of The Council of ARISF and President of World Confederation of Billiard Sports: Jorgen Sandman, e-mail: sandmanbilliards@telia.com

Fran Crimi
05-05-2005, 07:58 AM
Just my opinion, but when the IOC reviews a sport for inclusion in an Olympic Games, it isn't just looking to see whether the sport has met all the world requirements as an Olympic sport. That's already been done once a sport is accepted into the ARISF.

What I think the IOC is looking for is profitibility. How much can a particular sport contribute towards the profitibility of the Olympic Games? That's where we fall short. We don't have a major Corporate company willing to step up to the plate and offer $10 million in commercial advertising at the Olympic Games if billiards is included.

I think the people of our sport on a world level have done a tremendous job to get us this far. It's this last hurdle that's going to be the toughest to overcome. Unfortunately, we may never overcome it.

Fran

sack316
05-05-2005, 08:05 AM
on one hand I agree with Fran's opinion on this... but then I also think of some of the crap that does get shown on the Olympics and wonder how some of that stuff gets there and other things like pool and bowling (I think bowling was once there and then dropped) gets left out. Doesn't seem fair, but then again I do have some bias.

cuechick
05-05-2005, 08:07 AM
That is a great point and I have to say I am baffeled as to why pool can not land a sponsor deal like that. I saw a bowling event on ESPN that had a 2 Hundred Thousand Dollar payout!! The big sponsor was Motel 6! Maybe not glamouous but hey! I just don't think that the pool world has been very creative about this?

sack316
05-05-2005, 08:14 AM
yeah, I mean I'm sure cuemakers would shell out a few bills to sponsor some, along with the APA or another organization. Hotels as you said that sponsor some bowling tournaments. I play both pool and poker and love both, and see both in the same genre of each other, and if poker can blow up in the way it has, surely pool could do something similar... maybe not to the same level, but higher than where it's at now.

Scott Lee
05-05-2005, 11:40 AM
cuechick...Not sure if you're aware, but the PBA was purchased by one of the Microsoft billionaires. THAT'S why you see big prize funds, and big sponsors, like Motel 6 (which happens to be a multinational conglomerate). Sadly, our sport has no such 'savior' with deep pockets, who just happens to love pool!

The other reason, not mentioned, about pool getting into the Olympics, is that according to IOC rules, the Games are at their maximum for event numbers, and as such, new sports will NOT be added, unless others are dropped.

Scott Lee

BoroNut
05-05-2005, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> ... but then I also think of some of the crap that does get shown on the Olympics and wonder how some of that stuff gets there and other things like pool and bowling (I think bowling was once there and then dropped) gets left out.<hr /></blockquote>

Get real. You can hardly expect a mere lifetime of dedication to perfecting an the arcane techniques and sublte skills requied to play what amounts to one of the most enduring sports on earth to the olympian dedication required for a nine year old to muck about on a mat chucking a ribbon in the air.

Boro Nut

sack316
05-06-2005, 09:39 AM
yeah I guess you're right, and that little ball thing too