PDA

View Full Version : Daughter leaving for Africa

Deeman2
05-05-2005, 09:53 AM
My daughter, a graduate of Michigan State and Personnel Manager at a major Detroit company, has quit her job and will leave for a two year assignment in Africa next month. I'll be leaving tomorrow to meet her in Alabama to spend next week with her before she goes.

I am so proud of her for wanting to make a contribution to the world but, at the same time, very concerned as a father for her personal safety. She grew up overseas so she will not have that much problem with the new environment. She speaks several languages but her French is the only one she will need there.

I ask for your prayers for her, Tara Sands, and your best wishes from those of you who do not pray. She is 22 years old and while she saw much death and poverty on my many expatriot assignments, this will be her first time to handle it all personally.

I'll miss you guys next week. Don't let the far left take over too much while I'm away...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
05-05-2005, 11:44 AM
Deeman,
I will be praying for her safety and a safe return. Two years is a long time, hopefully you can make the trip to visit her.
Duane

Barbara
05-05-2005, 11:57 AM
You have my prays and best wishes, Deeman!

I hope she returns home safely at the end of her assignment.

Barbara

CarolNYC
05-05-2005, 12:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
She grew up overseas so she will not have that much problem with the new environment. She speaks several languages but her French is the only one she will need there.
<hr /></blockquote>

Deeman,
Sound like she'll do just fine-hang in there-wishing her alot of luck and safe home!
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

landshark77
05-05-2005, 12:46 PM
She's my hero...when I was about her age I wanted to do something simailr with the Peace Corps...I got married instead, LOL. She is in my toughts Deeman. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Deeman2
05-05-2005, 12:54 PM
Thank you all. Duane, I hope you are about fully recovered. We all worried about you. Carol, Landshark and Barbara...I'll pass along your best wishes.

Her first cue stick, a Meucci jump cue, is now my regular jump cue. I bought it for her at age 8!My how the years roll by.

Deeman

dg-in-centralpa
05-05-2005, 04:22 PM
Deeman,
I'm not fully recovered yet but am working at it. I'm feeling pretty good, but still nap 2 times a day. I'm only home a little over 2 weeks and my strength is coming back, not as quickly as I'd like, but it'll come. My kidneys have made dramatic improvements, shocked everyone at dialysis. I think I will have one more operation for skin grafting. Won't know until next Tuesday.

Best,
Duane

Barbara
05-05-2005, 04:34 PM
You keep going at it Duane!!

Still, they are some of us who suspect that this is all for the "not dropping the elbow" surgery. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Barbara

highsea
05-05-2005, 05:39 PM
Deeman, my best wishes to her. I hope she stays safe. Africa has some very dangerous people these days, I hope you talk to the people who are sending her and make sure she will have someone there looking out for her.

Fran Crimi
05-05-2005, 10:32 PM
Tell her we're all rooting for her, Deeman. She'll be in my prayers. Also, you have something in common with the owner of Schuler Cues, Terry Trim. His daughter went to Africa to do some missionary work. She did great and loved it. Let me know if you want to speak with him and I'll put you in touch.

Fran

Gayle in MD
05-06-2005, 03:36 AM
Deeman,
Best wishes to your daughter for a safe return home, and a valuable experience. You must be very proud of her.

Gayle in Md.

Deeman2
05-06-2005, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Deeman,
Best wishes to your daughter for a safe return home, and a valuable experience. You must be very proud of her. <font color="blue"> I am. </font color>

Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote> <font color="blue">

Thanks, everyone. I thnk I'll print this post and stick it away in some of her stuff so she will find it later, maybe when she has a down day or so. It's so nice to know you have the support of friends you might not even know you know....

Highseas, good advice. She's a world traveler and about as street smart as they come but if something horrible should ever happen, she'll be doing what she wanted. I told her, "I did everything in my life I wanted with no apoligies, you gotta do it your way."

Thanks again to all my friends.

Deeman
not ever soldier wears a uniform...</font color>

Scott Lee
05-06-2005, 11:21 AM
Dee...It sounds like your daughter wants to "make a difference" to other people who cannot help themselves, due to circumstances beyond their control. I certainly applaud her, and wish her good luck and safe passage through her "mission"! You, no doubt, are extremely proud!

Scott