PDA

View Full Version : Dave Syria Passed Away

Barbara
05-05-2005, 02:29 PM
I just read this post over at AZBilliard:

http://www.azbilliards.com/vbulletin/upload/showthread.php?t=12647

He was the first CCB poster I ever met - Las Vegas Nats, 1998.

He will be missed.

Barbara

Edit: Joanne says that she would've posted over here but didn't know Dave's log password to be able to do so. So sorry if I'm laughing a bit right now because Dave's going "Damnation!" up there.

PQQLK9
05-05-2005, 02:36 PM
I am sorry to hear that. I had been wondering how he was doing. Thanks for the notice and may he rest in peace.

DebraLiStarr
05-05-2005, 03:34 PM
This is very very sad news. Dave had passed along some fantastic career advice over the years and was very supportive. Many of you know him as a supporter of the game of pool, but Dave also had a vast amount of experience and knowledge in the accounting field. I will miss his sarcastic PM's telling me to "chill out or check out". My thoughts and prayers go out to his family.

dg-in-centralpa
05-05-2005, 04:25 PM
He will be missed by me. I enjoyed his posts. My thoughts go out to his family.

DG

Stretch
05-05-2005, 04:57 PM
OUCH! You know how some news just kind of hits you? Well that one realy hit me......I never had the pleasure of meeting Dave. But have been friends for many years none the less. His enormous contributions to the game, wit, and humour were truly one of a kind. Damn, he was too young, it's not fare. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif St.

Barbara
05-05-2005, 05:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> OUCH! You know how some news just kind of hits you? Well that one realy hit me......I never had the pleasure of meeting Dave. But have been friends for many years none the less. His enormous contributions to the game, wit, and humour were truly one of a kind. Damn, he was too young, it's not fare. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif St. <hr /></blockquote>

Stretch,

You two together on a thread was absolutely too much laughter to handle!!

I see Eydie has a thread on the other side. Let's all reply to each and hopefully Joanne will figure out his password to log on and have some closure.

And Joanne, if you're reading this, just register and logon so we can talk!

Honest to God, what do you think his password was? He was so well read!

I'm guessing DuranDuran.

Barbara

wolfdancer
05-05-2005, 05:20 PM
Dave was my favorite poster here.....warm, personable, smart, funny....and that list goes on.
I've been reading some of his posts here...it's nice that they are archived....and hope that they will remain so.
Here's a sample:
Mike,

The first two CCBr's I met were Scott Lee and Fran Crimi, many years ago at the BCA 8-Ball Championships in Las Vegas.

I met Barbara at the Vegas event the next year and the year after that we attended referees school together. Not my cup of tea. Its a dirty job that someone has to do, luckily I'm old enough (if not smart enough) to realize it shouldn't be me.

Last In Vegas year I hooked up with SPetty, RIP, Eric, Fred Agnir and one or two others who have slipped my mind (I'm old). Please jump in and remind me who else went for dinner at the Steak House at Circus/Circus. I met Carol that night although she didn't join us for dinner.

And then there was the hurricane at the US Open. There was some question of my mental state since I deliberately rescheduled my flight to arrive a couple of hours before the hurricane. I met Rich R. and his lovely wife, the Cass Family (Chris, Heide, ans Spike), Kato, Tom in Cincy, Cueball 1950, Mike M, Jimmy B., Phil in Sofla, 9 Ball Girl, Socrates, Pool Daddy9, Fred Agnir, WesK, JMD in VA, Anonumus Ed, Brian in VA, Jimmy B. and others.

Interestingly enough, I seem to be the invisible man in this thread since no one has mentioned meeting me. It is probably my svelte figure and the fact that I stand sideways a lot that makes me unnoticeable or unmemorable.

It was great meeting everyone and hope to do so again.

Dave Syrja in Victoria
davespooltools.com

Goodbye, old friend....you'll be both missed and fondly remembered by all.

Barbara
05-05-2005, 05:47 PM
Wow, do I remember that post!

Dave would've made a great Ref, but he had too many questions about the rules, and rightly so because they weren't resolved at that time as they are apparently so now.

I tried to get the Big Guy to do it again, but a Canadien's resolve is about as easy to break as ice.

<font color="blue">Actually, Dave suddenly realized his desire to be a Curling Referee, and had to leave immediately because the Las Vegas heat was getting to him, as well as the slopping ice... The plot Thickens, and Dave would say, let's pick up the story line...</font color>[/b]

I do thank Joanne for being the great woman she is and I hope she realizes how many friends Dave made on this board that went further to meet Dave and Joanne in real life.

As I recall my first meeting with Dave, it's not every day you see your husband being hugged by a strange woman only to find out that it's okay, and that her husband is bigger than yours and they're just pool playing friends. Never mind Pete just standing there and accepting me hugging a totally strange man -- to him. It's cool, it's a pool thing.

Take care Joanne. And if my card doesn't find you, I want you to know, Dave never stopped saying how much he loved you and his family.

Take care and God Bless you,

Barbara~~~there is hugging in pool, despite what Becky says:

<font color="red">

There's no hugging in pool... There's NO HUGGING!!!</font color>

FREE BECKY!!

Rich R.
05-05-2005, 07:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Barbara:</font><hr> Let's all reply to each and hopefully Joanne will figure out his password to log on and have some closure.<hr /></blockquote>
I posted on the pool side, but I will elaborate a little here.

Like many of us, I always looked forward to Dave's posts on the CCB. They always had a combination of knowledge and humor. You also felt like the words were coming from a friend. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

In September of 2003, in the middle of a hurricane, my wife and I had the pleasure of meeting Dave and Joanne at the U.S. Open. Although it was our first face to face meeting, talking to Dave was like talking to an old friend. I also have to say, Joanne was a perfect match for Dave, as she was every bit as nice and as friendly, as Dave. Over those five days, at the Open, we spent a good amount of time together and shared a few meals.
Since five days is a minute amount of time, in a lifetime, I cannot say that I knew Dave well. What I can say is, I considered him a friend, regardless of the small amount of time I spent with him.
My wife and I will both miss Dave and our deepest condolences go to Joanne.

CarolNYC
05-06-2005, 02:08 AM
I met Dave in Vegas and although it was brief, it was a joyous moment-I will remember the laughter we shared and the kindness in his eyes!
My condolences go out to his family!
Carol

Stretch
05-06-2005, 06:49 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> I met Dave in Vegas and although it was brief, it was a joyous moment-I will remember the laughter we shared and the kindness in his eyes!
My condolences go out to his family!
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Dave was always there to smooth things over and clairify issues the way only Dave could do. He had such a wonderful mind, and playful imagination. He was always bailing me out of some tangle or another and i always swore i owed him a good Canadian Beer for that, MANY Beers as it turned out lol Hell he even sang the whole Welcome back Cotter theme song for me when i came back off Hiatus, how Cool is that lol. what a guy. We shared many e-mails when i was going through my divorce, he'd been down that road too and his help and insight were a true blessing when i just needed a good friend he was always there. Turns out his Wisdom was bang on, and i've arrived on the other side of what (at the time) seemed like a hopeless mess. Thankyou from the bottom of my heart Dave, wherever you are. I'm haveing that drink for us now. St.~~hopes it's true that angels have wings, cause Dave will be chaseing the prettiest ones /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif~~

Wally_in_Cincy
05-17-2005, 05:43 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Damn. I was just thinking of him last night and wondering how he was.

Rest in Peace Dave.