PDA

View Full Version : Dave Syrja Passes Away May 2

Bob
05-05-2005, 02:32 PM
Dave Syrja passed away May 2nd. he will be missed by all of us.

Eydie

Hello,
I'm so sad to send you this, but I thought you should know that Dave died Monday night. The cancer spread to his liver and his lungs. Please pass this on to other pool players who knew Dave. I know that he had several friends on the Cue & Chalk Board, but don't know how to access it.
Sincerely,
Joanne

David Leo Syrja

October 17, 1942 – May 2, 2005

Dave was born in Port Arthur, Ont. and the family moved west 3 years later, so Dave grew up in Jasper, AB. After 4 good years from his initial diagnosis, colon cancer took its toll and we must say ‘so long’ to a loving and generous-spirited man who enjoyed life to the fullest.

Dave will be deeply missed by his beloved wife, Joanne and his loving family: parents, Leo and Margaret Syrja of Jasper; daughters Daphne and Patti (Greg) Syrja; step-sons Douglas (Colleen) and Derek Schneider; grandchildren Robin (James) Syrja, Danny, and Tara Schneider; sister, Diane (Blair) Beirnes, brothers: Wayne, Ray (Marsha), and Leonard (Diane); nephews, nieces, and cousins (Karen and Peter DeLisle and family). His treasured friends will miss him, too.

During a productive career in Edmonton and later in Los Angeles, Dave used his knowledge as a CMA to develop municipal accounting software for many Canadian cities, as well as payroll and production accounting software for the movie industry. In retirement, Dave wrote the Web-based Pool Tournament Manager/Director and the Hockey Draft Director. His passions were creating new software programs, playing pool, and loving his wife, Joanne – not necessarily in that order. The Vancouver Island Pool League has lost one of their favorites and the game has lost a champion.

If you’d like to give something in memory of Dave, donations supporting Victoria Hospice and Palliative Care Foundation would be appreciated. They are at 1952 Bay St., Richmond Pavilion, Victoria, BC V8R 1J8 or donate online at www.victoriahospice.com. (http://www.victoriahospice.com.) The work they do every day is so essential and we thank them with all our hearts. Many thanks also to Dr. Roland Link and the Downtown Medical Center.

"You will always be in my heart, Dave.

Thanks for loving me so well for the past 16 years." Joanne

Voodoo Daddy
05-05-2005, 02:43 PM
Sad day...I pray for his family

Jimmy B
05-05-2005, 03:15 PM
RIP

JB

tateuts
05-05-2005, 03:39 PM
Dave will be missed. Very sad.

Chris

JMD in VA
05-05-2005, 03:48 PM
What a shock. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers.

JMD in VA

houseman
05-05-2005, 05:22 PM
So sorry,
Rest in peace Dave, will miss ya.

the houseman

Troy
05-05-2005, 05:30 PM
Dave, Rest In Peace !!!
My condolences to his family.

Rich R.
05-05-2005, 06:17 PM
Dave will be sorely missed. Although we did not know him well, on a personal level, he was a good friend.

9 Ball Girl
05-05-2005, 06:42 PM
This is what I posted on AZB since that is where I first saw the sad news:

I was fortunate to meet Dave during the U.S. Open of '03 and what fun we had! I remember being in one of the Holiday Inn's ballrooms where they had cots set up for those that lived in the area and had no electricity or water in their homes due to Hurrican Isabel, when I turn around and who is standing behind me but Dave himself in what I called his Crocodile Dundee hat. He was standing there with his wife, Joanne, and the first thing that came out of his mouth was, "You must be Wendy aka 9 Ball Girl." "In the flesh baby!" was my response and it just kept going on from there.

Dave created the software that we now use religiously in our annual CCB tourney that we hold in Virginia. He had flown in from Canada to VA in '03 to meet all of us as we always do each year at the Open, and to be present in our tourney. He had taken the time to create name tags for us and work his software to accomodate our unique format.

Dave was an extremely generous man. He will be greatly missed. God bless.

cueball1950
05-05-2005, 07:57 PM
Dave, go rest in the arms of God...It was a pleasure meeting and knowing you and your wife. you will always be in our hearts and in our prayers...R.I.P........mike

Fran Crimi
05-05-2005, 08:21 PM
Deepest sympathy to Dave's family. Dave was a teriffic guy and it was an honor to have known him.

Fran

Brady_Behrman
05-05-2005, 09:04 PM
My father and I send our deepest condolences to Dave's Family. He will be deeply missed by the entire pool community!

Rest In Peace Mr Syrja

Respectfully,
Barry & Brady Behrman

Rod
05-05-2005, 09:30 PM
My condolences to Dave's family. I never met Dave in person, just from conversations here on CCB. He and sometimes his comical stories will be missed.

Rod

Cueless Joey
05-05-2005, 10:20 PM
Dave will be missed.
God has a Gold Crown and some custom cues waiting for Dave.
I will miss Dave's insightful posts and unselfish sharing of his vast knowledge of everything under the sun.
God bless you Dave.

Chris Cass
05-05-2005, 11:32 PM
Dear Joanna,

I'm faced with the same things. I'm fighting this tooth and nail. I know Dave did also. I love Dave and if I share the same fate as he? I promise to give him all your love and respect. He was a very good man and I respected him in many ways.

Right now I'm seeking help from the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. They have many alternative methods in fighting this common desease. There's many ways you can donate your few dollars. All are accepted with gracious open arms. I suggest donating it too the family.

I also suggest any league monies due to him it should be looked at, in a very quick fascion. Our leagues are shady in that aspect and will forget it the next day. Well, atleast it was that was about 5 yrs ago. I know it's not a lot but it's something. Not the actual league, itself but the way the money is filtered down. I'm also talking private leagues, not ACS or BCA. I'm talking, the amument(?) company leagues.

Respectfuly yours,

C.C.

pooljunkie73
05-06-2005, 02:37 AM
My deepest condolences go out to Dave's family, may he rest in peace.

Kent

pooltchr
05-06-2005, 04:22 AM
I'm so sorry to hear this news. His contributions here will be greatly missed. My thoughts and prayers are with his family.
Steve

Eric.
05-06-2005, 05:31 AM
Wow, sad news. I met DAve and Joanne at the BCA Open in 03. Wonderful couple. Dave was a guy that always looked for the lighter, slightly sarcastic side of life. A funny and fun guy to be around and sadly missed.

One good thing about these forums. They are like a living legacy for friends that move on. Miss ya, Dave. Godspeed.

Eric

Brian in VA
05-06-2005, 05:53 AM
May he rest peacefully and know that we keep the joy he brought to all of us in our hearts.

Brian in VA

Deeman2
05-06-2005, 05:56 AM
One of Dave's last posts was to say how much he had enjoyed the love of his life, Joanne and that was what he would miss most. He was a good friend to all here and always contributed something positive to our group. He will be missed. Hit 'em good Dave.

Dee

Sid_Vicious
05-06-2005, 06:57 AM
As I m reading everyone's responses to this sad news there are chapel bells chiming off in the city. Rest in peace Dave, we'll miss you for sure.

Respectfully,
Sid

cheesemouse
05-06-2005, 07:04 AM
My condolences to Daves family, may he rest in peace....I often thought that if our game needed a good example of an other wise accomplished person who loved this game, Dave would have been a great model to put forward. If there is a poolhall in the sky I bet Dave is matching up pretty well.

hondo
05-06-2005, 07:32 AM
I certainly enjoyed his posts. I will miss him.

Steve Lipsky
05-06-2005, 07:42 AM
A terrible loss for the pool world, and our community. So much sadness lately.

- Steve

CarolNYC
05-06-2005, 10:34 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I suggest donating it too the family <hr /></blockquote>
Im sure if the family needed help, the community would step up and most of the time, families in this predicament, would rather ask for money to be donated to those that helped them through the ordeal!As such!

[ QUOTE ]
I also suggest any league monies due to him it should be looked at, in a very quick fascion <hr /></blockquote>

Are you suggesting that Joanne contact leagues to see if any REFUNDS are due him? Im sorry, but, if any REFUNDS were do him and the leagues didnt contact HER, its a sad day for humanity! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif
Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scott Lee
05-06-2005, 10:55 AM
Joanne...I am deeply sorry for your loss. Dave was one of the first CCB'rs that I met personally, when you lived in S. CA. I truly enjoyed working with Dave, and enjoying your pleasant company and hospitality. Dave is a 'giant' in this game, in my eyes...and he will be missed by all of us! I can only hope that his last days were as comfortable as possible, and in your loving arms!

Respectfully,

Scott Lee

stickman
05-06-2005, 11:22 AM
My prayers go out to his family. Dave will be missed, but not forgotten.

Kato
05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
This is sad news. My sympathies to Joanne. 2 nicer people I've never met.

R.J.

DickLeonard
05-07-2005, 02:09 PM
Fran I think Dave went back to the original board before he became MrInGrate. I will miss him and the picture of him in his hat. May he rest in piece.####

DickLeonard
05-07-2005, 02:15 PM
Fran all this talk about two piece cues and I substitute it for peace.####

SPetty
05-07-2005, 02:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote DickLeonard:</font><hr> I will miss him and the picture of him in his hat.<hr /></blockquote> http://members.shaw.ca/dsyrja/ccb/dave_tilley.gif
Rest In Peace, Dave.

snipershot
05-09-2005, 02:29 PM
Dave was a great guy and will be missed by all.