PDA

View Full Version : Help a noob with a pool hall chair question

Imcueless
05-06-2005, 04:59 PM
First I just want to say I really like this forum, I'm new so I guess this is Hello /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a question about a gift we are buying for my folks anniversary, my parents retired a few years back and instead of golf they took up Billiards. We figured it was just a phase, not because of anything having to do with Billiards but because I don't think they had ever played anything but bumper pool before the decided to take it up.

We (the kids) want to get them a nice setup for their anniversary, were all going to throw in so we decided wed splurge. I've been doing a lot of looking at ebay and stuff and have found a few things that look really nice only I'm new at this I've no idea if what I'm looking at is quality or not.

I was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to help a fella out and take a look so I could get an opinion from a pool player, these things look like their really high to me, but what do I know.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21210&item=7153562 078&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

I found out the height ground to 25 inches floor to seat, is that normal?

they look really nice, the reason they caught my eye is because they look like the ones from the paul newman movie.

if you folks know of any antique pool hall people Id appreciate the link!

thx

Billy
05-06-2005, 06:19 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Imcueless:</font><hr> First I just want to say I really like this forum, I'm new so I guess this is Hello /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I have a question about a gift we are buying for my folks anniversary, my parents retired a few years back and instead of golf they took up Billiards. We figured it was just a phase, not because of anything having to do with Billiards but because I don't think they had ever played anything but bumper pool before the decided to take it up.

Well they are now bona fide fanatics, which brings me to why I'm posting in this thread. We (the kids) want to get them a nice setup for their anniversary, were all going to throw in so we decided wed splurge. They have a really nice antique 9 footer, its has huge fat legs, the problem is they have lawn chairs around it to sit on so when you play the people sitting are eye level with the table. So we thought wed get some "real" pool chairs. I've been doing a lot of looking at ebay and stuff and have found a few things that look really nice only I'm such a noob at this I've no idea if what I'm looking at is quality or not.

I was wondering if someone here would be kind enough to help a fella out and take a look so I could get an opinion from a pool player, these things look like their really high to me, but what do I know. I would normally just buy them and take my chances but were not but we think the folks deserve quality so we want to splurge on them!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;category=21210&amp;item=7153562 078&amp;rd=1&amp;ssPageName=WDVW

I found out the height ground to 25 inches floor to seat, is that normal?

they look really nice, the reason they caught my eye is because they look like the ones from the paul newman movie.

If you can help me out Id really appreciate it, I(we) no nothing but what Ive seen on TV. I know my folks taste and they would rather do without than get a "fake" or new version so I want to get them something they will flip over.

Im a noob at all things billards but Im A+ certified so if I can return the favor and help ya out Ill gladly do what I can.

Dont take this wrong, but I was amazed at the amount of people that take their pool so seriously, I was happily surprised to find first click such a huge community of pool players.
One of the great things about the internet is being able to find like minded folks, you would probably be surprised at how huge my wifes linen forum is, I was.

thanks again.

*sorry for ramblin on, its just that Ive been entering POOL in google and spent an hour or so wading through crapola sites so Im kind of psyched to find this place. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

just notice a ball holder for 100 bucks, if the auction stays under 100 it would be cool to throw that in because someone told me its best not to keep them on the table for some reason.

if you folks know of any antique pool hall people Id appreciate the link!

thx <hr /></blockquote>

actually they look very nice and probably in the same era - very good choice !

you can also try Joe Newell in Clay Center Ks,they have a rather large inventory of older tables and may have seating.Brunswick Billiards will recommend Mr Newell.or try Blatt Billiards (expensive!) in NYC - but both are what I think you may be looking for

all of your ideas are excellent especially if they're really into pool.

maybe have a good instructor come by for some lessons?Scott Lee,a frequent poster here,travels the country and is a recommended quality instructor

good luck

Billy
05-06-2005, 06:32 PM
blattbilliards.com

and 411 for Joe Newell in Clay Center KS,I don't think they have a site?

hope this helps

Imcueless
05-06-2005, 06:59 PM
thanks for the input, I checked out the sellers stuff it all looks like its been restored well and of good quality.

Ill look into the tips you gave me, the price seems good, Ive paid more for office chairs. But I sit in that all day.
thx again

kdd9
05-07-2005, 12:00 AM
Antique pool table link:

http://www.antiqbilliard.com/BESTWORK.HTM

/ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ceebee
05-07-2005, 04:05 PM
These are a great buy, even with shipping costs. The value will never go down.

If you buy them new, at a retail store, look for an $800 price (each).

Good Luck in your bidding.

SJS
05-09-2005, 08:36 AM
The listing says local pickup only, no shipping.