PDA

View Full Version : Earl's good for the Game

recoveryjones
05-06-2005, 07:02 PM
I was talking to a friend of mine, a(A+) player from my localpool hall. He just played in that big tournament in Calgary and had met Earl Strickland in the second round and lost 11-9.

During their match Earl did a few things of Strickland noteriety.

First he told my friend that watching him play pool was like watching paint dry...boring.

Secondly, Earl would miss and leave my friend 4 balls on the table. Instead of letting my friend shoot, Earl would rake the balls and give him the game. He apparently did this more than a couple times.

My friend missed and conceded Earl the 8 and 9. Earl smart talked him and said something to the effect of"No I want to shoot them."

Having said all of this ,I asked my friend what he thought of Earl.Instead of saying Earl was a jerk or something he said,"Earl's great for the game." Apparently whatever table Earl played on drew the biggest crowd of fans.They were there for the trash talk and there to see an awesome display of spin shots and pure power from a master 9 baller.

He also said Alex Pagulayan was quite entertaining(charasmatic) with his talk as well as his cue.Archer and Deule, although superb shooters left my friend feeling bored,(no,not like watching paint dry) as compared to playing/watching Earl.He was thrilled to have played Earl.

My question to my fellow forumsters: Is Earl good for the game , Yes or No. RJ

cueball1950
05-06-2005, 10:40 PM
I have to say YES. i also think that Earl has such a passion for the game and i think he is losing that passion and may 1 day just quit cuz there just is not enough money in the game for him to earn a living at it. at 1 time during the many times we have talked he said that he made more money gambling and was even considering going back to it. I sure hope that he does not decide to give it up cuz he is so entettaining for the game. especially since you never know what earl is going to do next....mike

SPetty
05-07-2005, 05:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>Is Earl good for the game , Yes or No.<hr /></blockquote>I think that depends on what you mean by "the game". If you're asking if Earl is good for gathering people around who are looking for someone to go psycho, then I'd have to say Yes. If you're asking if Earl is good for gathering people around who like to talk about people going psycho, then again, I'd have to say Yes.

But if by "the game" you're talking about the respectable behavior of professionals who give the game a good name due to the respect and professionalism of it's players, then, I'd have to say No.

I think it all depends on what you mean by "the game".

Rackin_Zack
05-07-2005, 08:37 AM
I think that he means is Earl good for increasing the popularity of, and interest in, pocket billiards. I think he probably is, I'll paraphrase Fast Eddie and say he's a natural character!

Edit: I thought I'd clarify a bit. I think the jury is still out on whether players that are respectable and simply let their play do the talking are enough to increase popularity within the general public.

Chopstick
05-07-2005, 09:13 AM
Arnold Palmer managed to draw people to him without acting a fool. What pool needs is a character like him. Golf in the past was no more popular than pool and they managed to build it up.

Cueless Joey
05-07-2005, 10:45 AM
If there are 20 Earl Stricklands on tour, what would happen to pool?
If there are 20 Efren Reyes, Allison Fisher or Karen Corr on tour, what would happen to pool?
My gut feeling is if there were 20 Efrens, Allison and Karens, pool would have a $100,000 pot money in every stop.

Popcorn
05-07-2005, 11:03 AM
If you are talking being a great player, flamboyant, eccentric, funny, entertaining, I would say yes. Unfortunately he often crosses the line from being a character to being a bad sport and down right nasty, even saying things to opponents that could even be termed as raciest. That kind of behavior should not be tolerated out of any player no matter how great they play, and is not good for the game.

Brian in VA
05-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Arnold Palmer was huge for golf in the '60s as the result of a couple of things. He looked like an average guy (a bricklayer according to many) his swing looked like something done by a do it yourselfer and often made a score by sheer will rather than talent and he had genuine charisma; he likes people and it shows in everything he does. He make eye contact with every person in the gallery. He still draws a bigger gallery to watch him warm up than most pros do to play.

If you want to have the same thing happen in men's pool, and I think the women are very close to a breakthrough, then I think we need something really out of box. We either need a very clean-living, athletic type with a classic stylish game and incredible "star quality" with the fans (no smack talk except for good natured needling, excellent sportsmanship - genuinely congratulating opponents after a match) and someone who really cares about all the fans and their games. (I can tell you from personal experience that if Arnold sees you make a long putt, he congratulate even the everyday hacker.) How many pool pros give you that impression? This kind of person could give bring the corporate backing needed to move purses up to an acceptable level. This player also would need to beat the crap out of everyone and do it with a smile the whole time.

Or we need a real bad boy (lots of smack talk, bad behavior of all kinds, demonstrative melt downs followed by huge come backs, but doesn't necessarily take it out on the fans) who draws lots of viewers to the game who aren't necessarily players but advertisers will want to sell to because the crowds are huge. This will bring lots of money to the game but I'm afraid it would be short lived compared to the first scenario.

As a pool player, I'd love to see either one for the entertainment value but as a lover of the game, I'd rather see the former.

Just my opinion, I could be wrong.

Brian in VA

Jay M
05-07-2005, 12:12 PM
try this....

Name the first male Tennis player from the 70's-80's that pops into your head.

Be honest, how many of you said John McEnroe or Andre Agassi? A few of you may have said Jimmy Connor. The common thread between them is that all three evoked strong emotions in the people watching, not because of their talent (which all three have), but because of their personalities.

The general public is drawn to sports figures that they aren't ambivalent about. Whether it's a person they love or a person they hate, it's never just about talent, it's about the emotions that are evoked.

My answer to the original question is that, like him or hate him, Earl has done a LOT for the game that is positive.

Jay

sack316
05-07-2005, 01:30 PM
same with bigger sports even... like Terrell Owens with the NFL. He is probably the best WR in football, but has the bad guy "me me me" whining image. Yet people are captivated by him and want to see what he does next. Personally I think it takes a mix of personalities, faces and heels if you will, to create a HUGE interest. Who wouldn't want to see Efren and Earl play #1 for the pure match itself, and #2 to root for Efren to PO Earl. I guess again as someone said, depends on the definition of "good for the game", but as far as being a character to watch I would say he is good, IMHO

SPetty
05-07-2005, 02:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> We either need a very clean-living, athletic type with a classic stylish game and incredible "star quality" with the fans (no smack talk except for good natured needling, excellent sportsmanship - genuinely congratulating opponents after a match) and someone who really cares about all the fans and their games. ... This player also would need to beat the crap out of everyone and do it with a smile the whole time.<hr /></blockquote>Did you describe Tony Robles on purpose?

Gayle in MD
05-07-2005, 03:04 PM
Billy Jean King? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ceebee
05-07-2005, 04:14 PM
Amen Chopstick. When American Pool gets a hero like Arnold Palmer was to the golf world, things will change.

The media will start following the game &amp; we'll all benefit from it.

The women do well because the women act like ladies in public &amp; play very good pool.

I still think we need a National Pool Room Owners Association, so the pros can have a national tour, national matches, national group instructions, national trick shot shows &amp; so on &amp; so on &amp; so on....

Things can change, but it requires the voice of each &amp; everyone of us.

ceebee
05-07-2005, 04:31 PM
Some other important requirements need to be in place. Players should have to qualify to become a Touring Professional (just like any other sport) &amp; the Tournaments in America need to start charging admission. With good media coverage, there will be a fan base.

Brian in VA
05-07-2005, 05:38 PM
Quote SPetty:
Did you describe Tony Robles on purpose?

I think Tony has an outstanding game and comes across as very professional and friendly to all the fans. He might be too old to get the demographic we'd need from 5th Avenue but he wouldn't be a bad choice. I suppose in my mind I might have been thinking of Tony and Rodney Morris. I could make a case that Johnny Archer would also qualify these days but he's also over 30.

How about Niels Fiejen or Thorsten Hohmann? Just need an American in the same age / talent/ looks / professionalism bracket and we have the beginnings!

Brian in VA

Rich R.
05-07-2005, 07:10 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote recoveryjones:</font><hr>My question to my fellow forumsters: Is Earl good for the game , Yes or No. RJ <hr /></blockquote>
Does Earl attract a lot of attention? Yes.
Does Earl play well? Most definitely.
Is Earl good for the game? I have to say no.

When Earl starts talking to his opponents and raking balls off of the table, as you mentioned, IMHO it is nothing more than sharking moves. When he gets abusive, it is just unacceptable.

IMHO, the game needs a better poster boy than Earl.

Rich R.
05-07-2005, 07:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jay M:</font><hr> try this....

Name the first male Tennis player from the 70's-80's that pops into your head. <hr /></blockquote>
Jay, I honestly thought of Bjorn Borge (sp) first.
He was not only a great player, and dominated all the players you mentioned, he was quiet and respected his opponents and the game.

Popcorn
05-07-2005, 08:38 PM
"My answer to the original question is that, like him or hate him, Earl has done a LOT for the game that is positive."

What would that be? Has he promoted tournaments? Does he act as an ambassador to the game? Is he a player you would like to see be the example for future players? He plays good, but so do a lot of other players and they don't abuse their opponents, walk out in the middle of matches and disrespects the spectators and fans.

Patrick
05-07-2005, 11:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote sack316:</font><hr> Personally I think it takes a mix of personalities, faces and heels if you will, to create a HUGE interest.<hr /></blockquote>

Would people like to watch someone who is schizophrenic with multiple personalities? You never know what personality you will see next.

Cueless Joey
05-08-2005, 12:37 AM
The Ice Man Bjorn Borg. He won 5-Wimbledon titles. He never won the US Open but he won the French and Australian Open.
He was a god. He made over 60 million in tennis winnings.

JimS
05-08-2005, 06:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> Quote
"My answer to the original question is that, like him or hate him, Earl has done a LOT for the game that is positive."

What would that be? Has he promoted tournaments? Does he act as an ambassador to the game? Is he a player you would like to see be the example for future players? He plays good, but so do a lot of other players and they don't abuse their opponents, walk out in the middle of matches and disrespects the spectators and fans. <hr /></blockquote>

Tap. Tap. Tap.

Earl is not good for the game. He is a terrible example of an adult.

Ask youself this; what would you do to your kid if you caught him acting like Earl?

I suspect that there would be some significant consequences for a kid treating people like Earl does. I'm sure that most any father or mother would sit the kid down and "splain" very clearly what will be tolerated and what won't be tolerated.

Since that's the case why would we make excuses and accept that intolerable behavior from Earl. His prowess as a pool player does not excuse his socially unacceptable behavior.

Leviathan
05-08-2005, 07:01 AM
I agree. The question is almost neaningless. I think the replies say more about the attitudes of the respondents than they say about Earl Strickland or the game of pool. People who see their own attitudes mirrored in Earl Strickland's behavior will tend to think that Earl Strickland is "good for pool." People who don't share Mr. Strickland's attitudes will think that he isn't "good for pool."

AS

Brian in VA
05-08-2005, 06:07 PM
Tap Tap Tap

I was always taught not to do anything that would embarass your mother or you wouldn't want to read about in the newspaper.

I never said that Earl was good for pool. In fact I think that kind of behavior keeps potential big sponsors away.

Brian in VA

Stretch
05-08-2005, 06:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Brian in VA:</font><hr> Tap Tap Tap

I was always taught not to do anything that would embarass your mother or you wouldn't want to read about in the newspaper.

I never said that Earl was good for pool. In fact I think that kind of behavior keeps potential big sponsors away.

Brian in VA <hr /></blockquote>

Well I'm safe. It was my mother who used to embarass ME. And i've only been in the paper twice. (back of the sport page under 'local', under 8 ball league,in wee wee.....well my arms arn't long enough to read it, print. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif St.

BigRigTom
05-09-2005, 01:48 PM
Yes! Earl is good for pool.
There is an old addage "The only thing worse than BAD publicity is NO publicity!" also "The only thing worse than being talked about is NOT being talked about."
Think about Cascious Clay AKA Muhammed Ali....He was notorious for his shenanigans!
Was he good for boxing? You have to say yes! Was he sometimes racist? You bet. Was that good? Absolutely not! Some people loved him and some did not but his name is synonymous with boxing. You have to admit that he was good for boxing.

whizman
05-30-2005, 09:04 AM
i will say i have seen Earl play quite a few times and while i have mixed emotions about his antics i always make sure i am there for his match's........so many other players i find boring and i won't mention names...sometimes obviously he doesn't try his hardest to win and that bothers me and feel a bit cheated...i was in vegas for the bca and couldn't believe he just went through the mtions and went home...but that being said...i can't deny he is the most exciting and entertaining player out there..still to this day.....

disturbed_won
05-30-2005, 09:14 AM
I have never watched him play in person but that would be awesome to see i think hes an awesome player i play with one of his signatured sure a Cuetec - Classic series.......

Drop1
05-30-2005, 07:44 PM
The game will go on when Earl is in a convalecent home sucking oxygen, no one will even rememeber him. Where is Reggie Jackson today- does anyone care- was he good for base ball-does anyone care. I would pay to watch him play one time. I could care less about watching the freak twice.